• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

ManaByte said:
Weren't people swearing that the FFXIII engine was pure PS3 and couldn't be done on any other system? Oops.
white engine/crystal tools has been known to be multiplatform for quite a while.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ManaByte said:
Weren't people swearing that the FFXIII engine was pure PS3 and couldn't be done on any other system? Oops.
Only the uninformed, most know Crystal Tools is a PC based engine and FFXIII is being made on that.

Tabris

Question: So according to the news I read, FFXIII will be ported during the translation period. So that means the game won't suffer from lowest common denominator development that goes hand in hand with porting?

Blader

nib95 said:
That's what I said. There was really very little to the conference outside of the FFXIII announcement (which means little to me as a multi-platform gamer). I wanted to hear about the lost exclusives, or new one's. I wanted to know what i'd be playing the beginning half of 09. It's exclusives that separate consoles from one another, so while multiplatform titles are great, it's the exclusives that really shout. And the MS conference really lacked anything new in that regard.

Take out the FFXIII announcement, and what do you have? A casual centric conference with little new info and no new IP's or exclusive games shown outside of Lips.

You'll be playing RE5.

Tabris said:
3) I have to listen to fanboys use this against me. Honestly though, I'm just happy Nintendo didn't get the game as I wouldn't stop hearing it as Nintendo fanboys are horrific (Microsoft fanboys don't really exist, they are more just normal gamers who own 360's and want games on their console, not some kind of agenda-ridden nintendo fanbots)
Nintendo hasn't done their press conference yet... you never know. :lol

Tabris said:
Well maybe they're bad in this thread but usually microsoft fans are calm gamers.

Anyways, Final Fantasy VII Remake! Wait for it.

They'll never do it but a FF7 next gen remake/remix/re-envisioning on 360 would be the bomb...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
derder said:
This reminds me of the Warner Blu-Ray announcement. I wonder what the presentation is going to be like tomorrow.
I was going to skip the Sony conference, but I may just catch it on G4 just to see if anyone in the audience boos... :D

seat

Tabris said:
3) I have to listen to fanboys use this against me. Honestly though, I'm just happy Nintendo didn't get the game as I wouldn't stop hearing it as Nintendo fanboys are horrific (Microsoft fanboys don't really exist, they are more just normal gamers who own 360's and want games on their console, not some kind of agenda-ridden nintendo fanbots)
Actually this generation Sony fanboys are by far the worst, and with this announcement I suspect they're only going to get whinier.

Tabris

jeremy1456 said:
The PSP rebirth was mostly because of Monster Hunter.

Actually it wasn't. The PSP rebirth happened on September 13th, 2007. The sales insanely spiked with both Crisis Core and the Slim PSP. It continued to have a large monthly release, then a small slump then Monster Hunter brought it back to CC+SLIM numbers. I know because I rubbed it in everyone's faces.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
seat said:
Actually this generation Sony fanboys are by far the worst, and with this announcement I suspect they're only going to get whinier.
*Looks around thread*

What?

edit: Most of the fanboyism in this thread is from MS fanboys and it's a lot more annoying than the PS3 fanboy meltdowns, most of which seem like jokes.

MechDX

OK. EPic thread and all that, but a question.

Did SE let Sony know ahead of time about this or was it not known on their part?

xaosslug

derder said:
This reminds me of the Warner Blu-Ray announcement. I wonder what the presentation is going to be like tomorrow.

why's that? The situations aren't even remotely similar. The game's STILL coming to PS3, and is exclusive in Japan. Everyone who needed to know at Sony prob. knew well in advance. I doubt Sony will cancel their conference at this news, because they were caught off-guard, and there's a massive hole in it. :lol

Pojo

Banned
nib95 said:
Take out the FFXIII announcement, and what do you have? A casual centric conference with little new info and no new IP's or exclusive games shown outside of Lips.
The conference was disappointing, I second that.

It's just that FFXIII is so big that it engulfs everything else. After I looked at what was announced and understood that, yes, the PS3 is also getting FFXIII and RE5, I was left with an empty feeling. It's kind of like last year's PS3 conference...we got a bunch of amazingly awesome videos for games that we already knew about. It doesn't take anything away from Gears 2 or a few others, but E3 usually has a few jaw-droppers.

jacket320

Article already posted? FF stuff is in bold:

NYTimes said:
Microsoft Wants Games to Appeal to the Masses

Article Tools Sponsored By
By SETH SCHIESEL
Published: July 15, 2008

LOS ANGELES — Ever since Microsoft waded into the video game wars with the introduction of the original Xbox in 2001, the company has spared little expense in attempting to establish its bona fides with hardcore gamers. From the physical appearance of the first Xbox — hulking, extruded black plastic — to the testosterone-laden, shoot-’ em-up essence of Microsoft’s signature game franchise, Halo, Microsoft’s first, perhaps only, priority has been to reach out to the young men at gaming’s historical roots.

Until now. In a significant shift for the company, Microsoft on Monday unveiled a new strategy for its gaming unit that is meant to help the company’s Xbox 360 console appeal to the mainstream. Lured by games and consoles like Guitar Hero, The Sims, World of Warcraft and Nintendo’s Wii, millions of consumers who would never have thought of themselves as gamers have begun to play video games in recent years. By some projections, the global game industry could approach $50 billion in revenue this year, propelled mostly by gaming’s soaring mainstream popularity.

So on Monday at the annual E3 convention here, Microsoft announced a collection of new games and services for the Xbox 360 that are meant to appeal to the everyday entertainment consumer.

“For the last few years we have consciously and continuously fed the core gamer audience, and now we are reaching that inflection point where we have to reach out to the mainstream consumer and bring them into the Xbox 360,” David Hufford, Microsoft’s director for Xbox product management, said in an interview.

“Everyone plays video games now or has an interest in playing video games,” he said. “So we have to appeal to the mainstream more than ever now. And what really is appealing to that mainstream consumer is that social experience, in the living room or online. Whether it’s the older consumer or the Facebook generation, they see games not as a solitary experience but as something you do with friends and family, and that’s what we want to deliver this fall.”

At the core of Microsoft’s new initiative is a new interface for the Xbox 360 that incorporates humanlike avatars representing each player. Users will be able to customize their avatars and socialize with other Xbox users, even outside of any particular game. Nintendo has been successful using a similar approach with its Wii, where each person creates a more cartoony figure called a Mii. Sony is also working on such a system with a new service for its PlayStation 3 called Home.

In Microsoft’s system, Xbox users will be able to share photos with one another across the Xbox Live network and also watch movies together in real time, even if the consumers are thousands of miles apart.

In addition to the new avatar system, Microsoft announced a partnership with Netflix, so Netflix subscribers can watch any of more than 10,000 movies and television programs over their Xbox 360. Microsoft already offers some films and TV shows for download and on Monday the company announced that its Xbox Live service had generated more than $1 billion in revenue since the Xbox 360’s debut in 2005.

Driving home the company’s new push for mainstream consumers, the company also unveiled new family-oriented games including a new entry in its Viva Pinata franchise and a madcap B-movie simulator called “You’re in the Movies.”

But a video game business cannot survive on family-friendly fare alone. To appeal to more traditionally discerning gamers, Microsoft offered a well-received look at the post-apocalyptic role-playing Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2, sequel to one of the best games of 2006.

Perhaps of most interest to serious gamers, Square Enix of Japan showed a lusciously beautiful trailer at the Microsoft briefing from its coming game Final Fantasy XIII, which is scheduled to be released next year. Previous Final Fantasy games have been available only on Sony consoles, but, in a major coup for Microsoft, Square Enix announced that FF13 would also be released for the Xbox 360.

Later in the day, Electronic Arts, the big United States game publisher, held its own media presentation to show off its lineup for the holiday season and next year. Predictably, Spore, the evolutionary biology simulator from Will Wright, creator of SimCity and The Sims, looked almost frighteningly addictive. Spore is scheduled to be released in September, and Mr. Wright said that players had already created more than 1.7 million fictional species using the game’s demonstration version.

E.A. has long been a leader in appealing to casual gamers. To reinforce that success, the company showed off a new game called SimAnimals, which appears poised to do well among girls and children. The company also moved to reinforce its credibility with core gamers which looks at Dragon Age Origins, from the BioWare studio, and Left 4 Dead, a survival horror game from the Valve studio. Both BioWare and Valve are among the most respected game developers in the world.

In a surprise move, E.A. announced a publishing partnership with id Software, the inventors of the first-person shooter genre and the famous developers of the seminal Doom and Quake franchises. John Carmack, an id lead programmer, showed a brief snippet from id’s coming game Rage.

But the surprise hit of the E.A. news conference was a new science-fiction horror game called Dead Space, which is scheduled to be released for PCs, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in October. Not for children and not for the squeamish, Dead Space takes place on a space station where something has gone horribly, terribly wrong (the combat revolves around what was described at the presentation as strategic dismemberment). The quality of the animation and the evocative tension and fear of its presentation appeared to be of a very high quality, as long as you don’t mind flying body parts.

Nintendo and Sony are scheduled to hold their major briefings on Tuesday.

Original link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/arts/television/15gameweb.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

I guess I was surprised by the announcement, like the vast majority of you guys. Development costs are so high this generation... and SE only compounds the problem by elongating the game development process. I hope FF13 is worth all the trouble, or it might be the last of the big FF releases.

hc2

nib95 said:
That's what I said. There was really very little to the conference outside of the FFXIII announcement (which means little to me as a multi-platform gamer). I wanted to hear about the lost exclusives (SC Conviction, Alan Wake), or new one's (Bungie? ME2? Bizzare?). I wanted to know what I'd be playing the beginning half of 09 (not just Fall 08). It's exclusives that separate consoles from one another, so while multiplatform titles are great, it's the exclusives that really shout. And the MS conference really lacked anything new in that regard.

One of the more ridiculous statements. Just watched the rerun of the MS presentation on G4. You must have missed a good 40% of the presentation.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Tabris said:
If I was Sony, I would fund Square Enix's development of the game.

If I were Sony I would have kept FF13 exclusive and had SE outsource FF7 development to a Sony studio so it could push the PS3 to its limits.

Granted, I am not, and we see what Sony has(n't) done.

DiddyBop

seeing that trailer just reminded me how much i miss the extravagance that is the final fantasy series. from the luscious graphics to superb orchestrated sountrack, final fantasy games are jus head and shoulders above other rpgs in terms of presentation. cannot wait.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Can someone plz explain to me why this is such a big deal? i dont get it

i mean its only final fantasy o_O

why on earth would that effect sony when they have many other titles that are far more worthy and interesting

oh well.

Quazar

hc2 said:
One of the more ridiculous statements. Just watched the rerun of the MS presentation on G4. You must have missed a good 40% of the presentation.

Funny thing is FFXIII wasn't even the best part of MSs show IMO. Was just the most surprising. Which was fucking surprising.

Moray

TEH-CJ said:

why on earth would that effect sony when they have many other titles that are far more worthy and interesting

oh well.

"i mean its only guitar hero o_O"
"i mean its only assassin's creed o_O"
"i mean its only gta o_O"
"i mean its only ace combat o_O"
"i mean its only devil may cry o_O"
"i mean its only star ocean o_O"

Pattern.

Tabris

TEH-CJ said:

oh well.

It affects them because it affects sales which affects game development which then affects you as the gamer. Fracturing the market more and more is not a good thing for RPG game development, infact we're currently in the worst RPG development period since the NES for traditional RPGs.

Pojo

Banned
TEH-CJ said:

oh well.
Picture this: Cliffy B revelas that Gears 2 will be brought over to the PS3 day and date with the 360.

Only Gears doesn't have years and years of history behind it and a devoted legion of rabid fanboys in every country.

It's so fucking huge for Microsoft that they didn't need any other new games...made evident by the conference. :p (partially joking)

seat

BobsRevenge said:
*Looks around thread*

What?

edit: Most of the fanboyism in this thread is from MS fanboys and it's a lot more annoying than the PS3 fanboy meltdowns, most of which seem like jokes.
I question your notion of the meltdowns being jokes, but all right, I'll grant you this thread has been civil for the most part. However just wait for the news to spread in the coming weeks. If the DMC4 on 360 announcement was any indication, I don't think it'll be pretty.

McLovin

Geez not buying the game isn't gonna fix anything. All its gonna do is prove that making a 360 version was the right choice.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
TEH-CJ said:

oh well.

JUST final fantasy????

Final Fantasy is the biggest RPG franchise on the planet.

Just the mere presence of FF13 on the 360 platform ensures that it will continue to be the dominant JRPG home console. After all, when you have the biggest RPG maker putting resources into the 360, smaller companies will follow.

nib95

Banned
hc2 said:

I watched the whole thing on LiveWire. Unless you mean GoW2, Banjo, Fable 2 etc, which we all knew were coming. That essentially will be no different to Sony tomorrow showing KZ2, Resistance 2, SOCOM, Motorstorm 2, White Knight Chronicles, Little Big Planet etc. All stuff we've seen and know is coming.

Unless you are referring to the Video on demand stuff (I'm from the UK), I'm more of a hard copy man. Video on demand hasn't really even kicked off here. Avatars? Mii copy type thing? So what is the 40% you are referring to that I supposedly missed?

Alan Wake should have been there. And Splinter Cell Conviction and at least one or two other new exclusives. As is, exclusives wise we're not really sure what we'll be playing on the 360 in the first half of 09 beyond Halo Wars.

hc2 said:
Honestly people get so caught up in this. As a 360 owner I'll be playing Gears 2, Fable 2, Banjo, Prince of Persia, a new Geometry Wars, Fallout 3, some more Scene it, RE5, RPG's up the ying yang, Halo Wars, Mercenaries 2 etc... over the next 6 months. Not too shabby.

xnygpl.jpg

Raistlin

traveler said:
I hope this is as non-existant as Kid Icarus is apparently supposed to be. (According to the new thread) Christ, people, if you're going to hope for some meaningful exclusives, at least pick some potentially great ones. :lol

I didn't mention this as a hope ... its based on a rumor from last week.

There was an interview in Japan with Squeenix, and the rep said to expect a huge FFVII announcement at E3 supposedly.

The only other possibility would be a phone game, or the original on PSN ... neither of which constitute huge IMO.

Vinnk

mistuhcahlos said:
wont be buying a ps3 now. might just skip this generation altogether.

Yup. If you react this strongly to other people being able to play a game, you need a new hobby. Bail out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom