• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII post-release comparison/garbage thread

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yoboman said:
People hated FFXII's story because there was no story, certainly whatever Matsuno had going only vaguely made it into the game so we were left with a shell of a story

And yet it managed to have a story of Shakespearean quality compared to FF VIII.

DarknessTear said:
Everyone can cry about XII all they want, nobody in S-E can emulate Matsuno quality storytelling. Mourn his loss and move on.
I dunno, the people behind IX sure did a better job.

So... there are employees there, they just don't utilize them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder how implementing a town was very very hard.

They could have put a village or 3 in
Gran Pulse
: get a space wherein a town or village can fit, put a bunch of buildings and homes (even if you don't need to go inside 'em it's alright), put a bunch of NPCs that sell stuff and talk and there you go.

Truespeed

I found this rather interesting - of the 10 loading time tests, the PS3's Blu-ray drive actually beats the 360 HDD 50% of the time and while loading a lot more data. I would have expected this would have been an easy win for the 360.

106mzvt.png

Link

Kal said:
Just finished God of War. Have a PS3 and an Xbox 360. Want to play FFXIII; what version should I get?

I would go with the 3DO version. DOH! DOH!!! DOH!!!!!!!!! (Pronounce the name '3DO' out a little differently and you'll get it.) :lol

Kal

DCharlie said:
for bvillionth time the PS3 version unless you REALLY like achievements.

Thank you.

I can't sift through 145 pages of trolls and fanboys arguing. (I think the OP should be updated)

Going to rent the game for a week.

Alex

Ariexv said:
You're kidding right? It's not even the best story in a jRPG this Gen much less ever.

I had people telling me not to judge Vanille and that she was deeper than she seemed, because she tried to cover her fear and doubt and forced guilt (whole game has a thing with forced themes of guilt) with the charms, actions and dialogue of a toddler. You're going to get a lot of lapses in logic from the types of folks who will champion things on pure fetish.

The entire narrative in the game boils down to endlessly repeated jargon, massive screen time for almost insulting character sentiments and two VERY half baked worlds which give you no real reason to feel any passion or ties to anything about them. Cocoon has as much consistency and history as a typical cluster of levels in a Mario game.

The main problem with Final Fantasy XIII in general, that it treats you like a blithering idiot. There's really no other way to describe the manner in which it goes about things. The endlessly repeated plot points and terminology, the locks on most of the gameplay and management for the majority of the game, and the whole hallways and autobattle design of the game in general.

I'd like to think it was just a big design clusterfuck due to the technology and the setbacks, because X-2 came from largely the same team, did it not? And X-2, for all it's goofy girl power was a game with a great sense of levity and some truly fantastic gameplay, even if I dont think the non-linearity worked for it extremely well.

XIII isn't so bad that it needs, say, the Suikoden IV law of non-existence applied to it, but there's certainly times it can come close. Should XIII-2 materialize, it will either be an amazing reform or open to classification as a new disease, I don't think there will be much middle ground.

mr_nothin

Banned
Alex said:
I had people telling me not to judge Vanille and that she was deeper than she seemed, because she tried to cover her fear and doubt and forced guilt (whole game has a thing with forced themes of guilt) with the charms, actions and dialogue of a toddler. You're going to get a lot of lapses in logic from the types of folks who will champion things on pure fetish.

The entire narrative in the game boils down to endlessly repeated jargon, massive screen time for almost insulting character sentiments and two VERY half baked worlds which give you no real reason to feel any passion or ties to anything about them. Cocoon has as much consistency and history as a typical cluster of levels in a Mario game.

The main problem with Final Fantasy XIII in general, that it treats you like a blithering idiot. There's really no other way to describe the manner in which it goes about things. The endlessly repeated plot points and terminology, the locks on most of the gameplay and management for the majority of the game, and the whole hallways and autobattle design of the game in general.

I'd like to think it was just a big design clusterfuck due to the technology and the setbacks, because X-2 came from largely the same team, did it not? And X-2, for all it's goofy girl power was a game with a great sense of levity and some truly fantastic gameplay, even if I dont think the non-linearity worked for it extremely well.

XIII isn't so bad that it needs, say, the Suikoden IV law of non-existence applied to it, but there's certainly times it can come close. Should XIII-2 materialize, it will either be an amazing reform or open to classification as a new disease, I don't think there will be much middle ground.
I agree with most of that.
I've said this before but FFXIII feels like "Final Fantasy for Dummies"....it's like an intro to a FF game. Equivalent to Gran Turismo For Boys. Just about EVERYTHING seems to be watered/dumbed down. And wtf ever to the ppl who calls that "cutting all the bs out of the way". It's just lacking.

So I take it that you cant go back to parts of the game later on ch13 because 360 would have to put in discs? what a waste of some good looking areas

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
jump_button said:
So I take it that you cant go back to parts of the game later on ch13 because 360 would have to put in discs? what a waste of some good looking areas

You can go back to
Gran Pulse
and
Eden

You just can't go back to the places
from Chapter 1-Chapter 10 since it's total linear progression, and those are a lot compared to the ones from Ch 11-13

ULTROS! said:
You can go back to
Gran Pulse
and
Eden

You just can't go back to the places
from Chapter 1-Chapter 10 since it's total linear progression, and those are a lot compared to the ones from Ch 11-13

*sighs* what a waste
it be nice to go and see Hope dad and maybe full in some more history with them all and just more missions that are not just on Gran Pulse

Banned
Alex said:

Wait, when did the bitching change from "the game never tells you anything" to "the game doesn't shut up."

Wait, when did the bitching change from "the game never tells you anything" to "the game doesn't shut up."
It could have used the time it used to tell you stuff you already know to explain that which isn't explained? :p

Alex

Oh no, it does tell you things, it's just the exact same things over and over and over and over and over probably averaging two to three times per line for the entirety of the game.

I'd love to see a raw script dragged through and the amount of dialogue that ISN'T Fal'cie or L'cie or Focus, etc.

After months of criticizing the game and thinking it was utterly dog poop, I took the risk and bought it.

Surprise, surprise, I'm having a blast! Getting somewhat of a PSO + PDS + FF feeling in it.

Zoe

jump_button said:
*sighs* what a waste
it be nice to go and see Hope dad and maybe full in some more history with them all and just more missions that are not just on Gran Pulse

Hope's home was ruined and Hope was identified as a fugitive. You really think his dad would have stayed there?

New Digital Foundry Face Off, covering end game framerate and shadowing issues on Xbox 360.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-endgame-article

Framerate is indeed up to 30% lower on 360 in Nautilus and in Pulse, confirming various reports from users here.

Shadowing problems on 360 are obvious, DF suspects a bug:

noshadow1_ps3.jpg.jpg

noshadow1_360.jpg.jpg

noshadow2_ps3.jpg.jpg

noshadow2_360.jpg.jpg

Also I suggest to stay away from the first comparison video, it has Vanille bullshit in it. "woooow" *headshot*

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
God damn I didn't know Youtube did 1080p at only 3.5 mb bandwidth. They could have done compression so much better if they wanted to on the 360 :9

Lince

Banned
jett said:
HEH, only makes their initial framerate assessment all the more ridiculous.

after checking these two chapters and realizing how poor the framerate really is on the already lower-res 360 version (specially in Gran Pulse, most relevant area of the game and the one you'll spend more time wandering around for missions/grinding) this Digital Foundry guy immediately seeks some self-reassuring talking about how impressive Bayonetta's tech is and how a hard time for the PS3 would be to have an engine as brilliant as that.

Yeah, we're talking FFXIII here guys, just admit your initial mistake assessing the framerate comparison and keep the Bayonetta talk where it belongs. Yes Bayo PS3 was a shitty port, even worse than FFXIII on 360, we get it, we also know the 360 hardware is so impressive it can perfectly run games originally developed for PS3 even with some further enhancements, but what does that have to do with these face-offs? they sound like 360 fanboys all the time.

Readers of the original Face-Off will know that just about the only advantage of the Xbox 360 code came from the frame-rate analyses, whereby performance dips were marginally lower and engine-driven cut-scenes managed to handle higher-poly renditions of multiple characters more effectively.

ULTROS!

Zophar

jett said:
It really was kinda pathetic. I hope no one ever argues the biased nature of those people again. :p
Still blaming SE and "lazy devs" for it too, saying the 360 version should by all rights be able to match or exceed the PS3 :lol

Haunted

The 360 version is a pos, I feel sorry for the suckers who bought it.

Alex said:

Well said.

longdi

Banned
jett said:
It really was kinda pathetic. I hope no one ever argues the biased nature of those people again. :p

I read a few DF comparisons and always found their wordings more critical towards PS3, never an argument in my eyes.

Right - so I have a copy of the game on 360 which I am yet to open and play. Should I just play it or should I sell it/trade it so I can get a PS3 copy?

if you are really wanting to play the game get it on ps3.

i bought both versions and the differences are huge especially with the nasty pre-recoded videos and terrible slowdown on 360 that isn't present in the ps3 ver..

this isn't even taking the much lower res that the 360 ver runs at into account (which you can get used to but not the poorly recorded videos).

Top Bottom