• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII post-release comparison/garbage thread

mintylurb

expy said:
That's the area that I noticed a huge drop in frames in the GT comparison video.

Edit:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/360-ps3-comparison-final-fantasy/62809
Check @ 1:33
To me, there's an obvious drop of frames in the 360 version there.
I guess Kagari wasn't being silly at all. Kagari-chan vidicated, desu.

cgcg said:
that's pretty bad. Where's that wrika guy. He must be having fits right now over this since he loved to point out the 20fps drop in one of the PS3 cutscenes. :lol
He is probably busy playing the ps3 version..
03lag2.gif

Durante

YK: Transitioning Final Fantasy XIII to multiplatform was not a huge obstacle, as the Crystal Tools engine was created with multiplatform development in mind.
Just imagine what a huge obstacle would be like!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Zoe

Durante said:
Just imagine what a huge obstacle would be like!

That's what the other team was for!

Of course, that doesn’t apply to the programming staff that was a part of developing the Crystal Tools engine, as well as engines specific to each platform – they gave up their holidays and went above and beyond in dedicating their time to development.

mintylurb

DeadGzuz said:
Now you are making up new graphics "issues", got a SS?

Yes, he is much less emotionally detached than DF, he doesn't seem to care about the results.
Heh. I remember when PS360 uploaded some captured footage from 360/PS3 lost planet 2 demo. Curiously, at that time, he only uploaded ps3 online co-op videos whereas he uploaded single player and online co-op videos from the 360 version.

Some gaffers were comparing ps3 online co-op videos against 360 offline single player videos to show how the 360 version has better frame rates. Ahh.. good times.

sinny

Banned
Guys , i have a question, does the english version of FFXIII have a different set of trophies than the japanese ver?

imail

Not sure if this belong to this thread or the official one.
(afraid of duckroll lol!)
But don't you think that FFXIII's linearity has created a new RPG genre ? I would call it (Adventure RPG) or (Hack and slash RPG).

That said, I'm 12 hours in and I love it. Chapter 7 music is amazing. I'll start the infamous X360 chapter 8 tomorrow. wish me luck. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's an interesting article: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/96.html

While attending this year's edition of the annual Game Developers Conference, Final Fantasy XIII director Motomu Toriyama defended the recently released PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360-based RPG against criticism (voiced, for instance, by our own James Clark in his review) lamenting the lack of traditional genre features like town exploration. Toriyama argued that the implementation of such features, which had been series mainstays, would have prolonged the already lengthy development process even further. Hence the development team opted to focus exclusively on the really important aspects, e.g. telling a powerful story.

Looking ahead to the next installment, Toriyama was confident that the knowledge and experience gained during Final Fantasy XIII's development process would allow Square Enix to once again integrate traditional elements.

B-Dex

OK so I'm on Ch. 11 now so I can update on the 360 performance.

Ch. 8 runs really bad. I dunno why they didn't try to improve it but it's awful. Ch. 11 only has slowdown on the Archlyte Steppe. Every other area has been fine as far as I can tell.

B-Dex said:

Ch. 8 runs really bad. I dunno why they didn't try to improve it but it's awful. Ch. 11 only has slowdown on the Archlyte Steppe. Every other area has been fine as far as I can tell.

So the Digital Foundry Face off fails completely.

Averon

Bob White said:
:lol These guys have lost the fucking plot, man. Seriously, how the fuck can anyone think this is a powerful story?

If they consider FFXIII's story to be powerful, I can't imagine what they consider to be a bad story :lol

desu

B-Dex said:

Wow once again this proves why I don't really read reviews anymore. I haven't read all 13 reviews but I haven't read a single one pointing this out yet...

schennmu said:

I'm pretty sure we established that fact a number of pages ago now.

The real question is if DF is going to bother to correct and/or retract parts of that article or leave it there for people to keep burning up the comments fields bashing it. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
desu said:
Wow once again this proves why I don't really read reviews anymore. I haven't read all 13 reviews but I haven't read a single one pointing this out yet...

I wonder if most of them played that far.

they probably just played the ps3 version and pretend to have played the 360 version. 360 sites probably did the same too.
Just Kidding

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
how many hours is this game supposed to be? it seems like im already 80% done with the game at 16 hours.

also, the story is really cool. i dont know how you guys think it isnt.

davepoobond said:
how many hours is this game supposed to be? it seems like im already 80% done with the game at 16 hours.

what chapter are you on?

Zoe

davepoobond said:

:lol :lol :lol

At least 50% of your time will be spent in the last three chapters.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
davepoobond said:

Uh. 1/3 of the game is chapters 1-10. Chapters 11-13 the other 2/3 of the game.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
DMPrince said:
what chapter are you on?

chapter nine i think. im in palumpolum currently.

Zoe said:
:lol :lol :lol

At least 50% of your time will be spent in the last three chapters.

Kagari said:
Uh. 1/3 of the game is chapters 1-10. Chapters 11-13 the other 2/3 of the game.

well, thats good to hear then. im blazing through all these chapters and i hear there's only 13 chapters, so im like "fuck, is this game gonna only be 30 hours long?"

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
This thread is so odd to me.

I beat the game on the 360 and never really read too much into the comparisons until now. The game played just fine throughout the entire game and I never even bothered to install the damn thing.

Oh well, I guess I just don't care enough to notice. :lol

Aye, I'll just leave it at that.

Is there anything in particular that could be causing the frame rate drops in Chapter 8 like a lot of things happening on screen or is just unexplainable?

desu said:

The scary part is that it's a linear single-player game so it seems ridiculous that it got overlooked and it makes the reviews of multiplayer games even more questionable because pretty much every multiplayer game seems to suffer from technical problems that may get fixed over time or blatant balancing issues that get completely ignored by reviewers(MW2 being the biggest example of this).

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm pretty sure we established that fact a number of pages ago now.

The real question is if DF is going to bother to correct and/or retract parts of that article or leave it there for people to keep burning up the comments fields bashing it. :lol

In DF defense, the slowdowns problems are in chapter 8 and 11, probably they checked the first chapters to do the comparisson, who have thought that the port would do even worst in those 2 specific sections? :(

Is there anything in particular that could be causing the frame rate drops in Chapter 8 like a lot of things happening on screen or is just unexplainable?

Chapter 8 has a few NPC's on the screen, more than in any other area, framerate drops when they are in you field of view, change that and the game runs ok again.

Same with chapter 11, when a lot of monsters show up, framerate drops.Also there's a intereting amount of cliping, some monsters appears suddenly when you are a few meters away, don't know if that happens in the PS3 version too.

So is this correct?.

- 570p instead 720p in-game graphics.570p CGI instead of 1080p
- Less self shadowing.
- Badly compressed cut scenes and audio.
- Heavy framedrops in both Ch. 8 and 11.
- Clipping problems (?¿)
- Other minor effects missing.

Anyway, I was looking at the E3 2008 MS conference reactions....so hilarious, those were good times, the port was worth only for that.

Zoe

Relaxed Muscle said:
In DF defense, the slowdowns problems are in chapter 8 and 11, probably they checked the first chapters to do the comparisson, who have thought that the port would do even worst in those 2 specific sections? :(

Well, there were warnings from how the PS3 version ran near the end of the game as well as preliminary evidence from trailers and screenshots.

I would think it'd be obvious to scrutinize the biggest area with the most objects on screen, but maybe that's just me.

Ploid 3.0

I remember thinking I should have tried to learn how to speak the language when FF13 was first announced to be able to play it at JP launch. So glad I didn't do that.

Curufinwe

schennmu said:

No, I think they've summarized the situation quite well.

The rumours are true. Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 isn't anywhere near as impressive as it is on PlayStation 3. The real kicker is that it's a lot worse than it should have been.

Curufinwe said:
No, I think they've summarized the situation quite well.
there are people that will buy a game based on these stuff and if DF did a full in-depth analysis it would probably have turned potential buyers away.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Bob White said:
:lol These guys have lost the fucking plot, man. Seriously, how the fuck can anyone think this is a powerful story?

Considering this is arguably the best story in any jRPG made so far....

MrDenny

davepoobond said:

I'm 16 hours in too, and yea it does feel like its about to end.

mintylurb

Zoe said:
Except they got the part wrong about the framerates being better in the 360 version.
Well, in this DF frame-rate comparison video, FF13 X360's frame-rate is better when you consider the real-time cut-scenes as gameplay. Although, during the battle sequences in that same video, it appears that FF13 X360 actually drops below 30FPS a few more times than the PS3 version.

Lens of truth's FF13 head to head video shows that the PS3 version has a slightly higher frame-rate during gameplay(battles, moving around, etc.) and real-time cut-scenes.

While we have conflicting information regarding the real-time cut-scene performance, at least in the early chapters, it seems like FF13 PS3 has a slightly higher frame-rate during gameplay.

Just got the 360 version. So, performance issues later in the game? That really sucks, because so far I think the port is fantastic. Really sucks if true, I guess I'll have to read all about it later (or just wait till I get to these portions of the game).

Anyways speaking of the port so far. I am very happy with the graphics. I'm going to play the PS3 version at a friends so I can compare, but so far I have no issues. No jaggies, clean looking, even the hair is totally fine. Rock solid framerate, I have no complaints ( so far ).

'Can't believe the port falls apart later in the game. That's some lazy coding bullshit right there.

Top Bottom