• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII post-release comparison/garbage thread

Firestorm

Iknos said:
MAG and Tekken 6. Thx 4 the heads up!
I think EB will give you around $30 for MAG and $25 for Tekken. You'd have to add $10 for FFXIII. Future Shop will take both of them in for FFXIII free. Only MAG qualifies at Rogers. Rogers' list is:

Alien vs. Predator
Army of Two: 40th Day
Assassin's Creed 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Bayonetta
Borderlands
COD MW Reflex
COD MW 2
COD World at War
Dante's Inferno
Dark Void
Darksiders
Demon's Souls
Dirt 2
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Forza Motorsport 3
GTA Liberty City Stories
Guitar Hero 5
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain
Left 4 Dead 2
Legend of Tzelda: Twilight Princess
Lego Indiana Jones 2
MAG
Mario Kart
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Need for Speed Shift
New Super Mario
Operation Flashpoint

I traded in Fable 2 and Halo Wars for it :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
expy said:
That's the area that I noticed a huge drop in frames in the GT comparison video.

Edit:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/360-ps3-comparison-final-fantasy/62809
Check @ 1:33
To me, there's an obvious drop of frames in the 360 version there.
I saw that and it doesn't look good. The problem with that comparison is that they don't turn the camera around. Lower framerates have less of an impact when you're moving forward slowly. Once you start moving the camera around, however, it becomes much more distracting.

Firestorm said:
I think EB will give you around $30 for MAG and $25 for Tekken. You'd have to add $10 for FFXIII. Future Shop will take both of them in for FFXIII free. Only MAG qualifies at Rogers. Rogers' list is:

Alien vs. Predator
Army of Two: 40th Day
Assassin's Creed 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Bayonetta
Borderlands
COD MW Reflex
COD MW 2
COD World at War
Dante's Inferno
Dark Void
Darksiders
Demon's Souls
Dirt 2
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Forza Motorsport 3
GTA Liberty City Stories
Guitar Hero 5
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Heavenly Sword
Heavy Rain
Left 4 Dead 2
Legend of Tzelda: Twilight Princess
Lego Indiana Jones 2
MAG
Mario Kart
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Need for Speed Shift
New Super Mario
Operation Flashpoint

I traded in Fable 2 and Halo Wars for it :)

I traded in God of War Collection and COD4GOTY ED @ Futureshop, The clerk was pissed and checked multiple times if God of War Collection was legitimate trade game. I was laughing inside.

RPGCrazied

Wonder how come the framerate issues weren't talked about in any review

Natilus, was pretty bad. I'm not in pulse yet, but its all over there too? :( I thought my 360 was dying, from the massive stuttering I was getting

Jagernaut

Iknos said:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/trade-in.aspx

3 days only. All stores in my city sold out. Called one and they said there isn't another shipment coming in soon.

Yeah I think I'll definitely get the PS3 version at some point or another. Maybe used.

It was just a chance at getting one for free and I was thinking that a free 360 version wouldn't satisfy me and I should get a used PS3 copy later instead to get the better version for me.

Why don't you do the trade for the 360 version but keep it sealed. When the PS3 comes back in stock (before the return period ends) exchange the 360 version for the PS3 version. They are the same price, right?

Zoe

RPGCrazied said:
Wonder how come the framerate issues weren't talked about in any review

Natilus, was pretty bad. I'm not in pulse yet, but its all over there too? :( I thought my 360 was dying, from the massive stuttering I was getting

Comparisons only covered the first chapter.

Do you guys have the game installed?

Synless

Zoe said:
Comparisons only covered the first chapter.

Do you guys have the game installed?
They only cover the first chapter?? Wtf is the point of doing a comparison if you don't go through the whole game to see how it holds up. If I had bought this game on 360 because of Lens of Truths write up an found out there are severe fps issues later in the game when they said it was a solid 30 fps I'd be pissed. Sounds like a Bayonetta port after all in the later sections of the game.

Zoe

Synless said:
They only cover the first chapter?? Wtf is the point of doing a comparison if you don't go through the whole game to see how it holds up. If I had bought this game on 360 because of Lens of Truths write up an found out there are severe fps issues later in the game when they said it was a solid 30 fps I'd be pissed. Sounds like a Bayonetta port after all in the later sections of the game.

To be fair, it's the easiest chapter to do since it's basically completely linear.

Synless

Zoe said:
To be fair, it's the easiest chapter to do since it's basically completely linear.
I was referring to the pulse sections, not the Nautilus section. That's where all the hunts and stuff are done right? That would suck to have frame issues there.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jagernaut said:
Why don't you do the trade for the 360 version but keep it sealed. When the PS3 comes back in stock (before the return period ends) exchange the 360 version for the PS3 version. They are the same price, right?
you can't. any time you trade an open media item for the same item, they open the new copy right at the store. I can honestly say I've NEVER seen them give an exchange without opening the new copy, for exactly the reason you say.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
TheRagnCajun said:
Check another store. FFXIII can't be sold out everywhere. They probably printed 2 million copies.

I believe it's 3m worldwide. And that is for 2 platforms in 2 different regions (NA/EU). It's like 750k each for each console + each region.

Zoe

Synless said:
I was referring to the pulse sections, not the Nautilus section. That's where all the hunts and stuff are done right? That would suck to have frame issues there.

I mean covering the first chapter was the easiest to do. For any other chapters that could exhibit problems, it's much harder to repeat the same actions.

Jagernaut

borghe said:
you can't. any time you trade an open media item for the same item, they open the new copy right at the store. I can honestly say I've NEVER seen them give an exchange without opening the new copy, for exactly the reason you say.

I'm confused. I thought he was taking advantage of a trade in deal for games he already played and wanted FF13 on PS3 but only the 360 version was available. I suggested he get the 360 version, not open it and exchange it for the PS3 version when it comes back in stock. What store refuses to take back a sealed copy of a game (with receipt, and within the return period) to exchange for something else?

Has anyone actually experienced the frame rate issues on 360?

I picked up the 360 version because I don't have a PS3 and I expected a few little hiccups, but how bad are we talking? its still playable right?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JetBlackPanda said:
Has anyone actually experienced the frame rate issues on 360?

I picked up the 360 version because I don't have a PS3 and I expected a few little hiccups, but how bad are we talking? its still playable right?

Two areas confirmed to drop frames noticeably: chapter 8 and chapter 11.

imail

I'm at chapter 5 of the X360 version atm. I have experienced very few frame rate drops (half a second frame rate drop while walking in the map and as few as once every hour and a half (played the game for 7 hours now)).

If you can go PS3 then don't hesitate as I think the graphics are much much better. The edges in the X360 version are very sharp specially the hair textures. I had to reduce the sharpness in my TV to minimum and reduce the game brightness to -2 since these hard edges make me go nuts. They didn't seem like a huge problem for my friends who were setting beside me,maybe my eyes are just to sensitive, I don't know.

For those who got the PS3 version, don't you feel like the edges are too sharp ? like every edge has a glowing line surrounding it ? I'm really thinking of asking my friend to send me back my PS3 to play the game (which will cost me + the game price around 100$).

Edit:
DMPrince said:
I wonder why reviewers failed to mention those areas? hmmm.

I'm surprised most reviews gave both version almost the same rating. Are the edges sharp in the PS3 version too. Someone must have noticed it, it's so annoying.

Zoe

imail said:
I'm surprised most reviews gave both version almost the same rating. Are the edges sharp in the PS3 version too. Someone must have noticed it, it's so annoying.

I thought lower resolution results in softer edges? The sharpness never bothered me in the PS3 version
just the blocky fingers

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
imail said:
I'm at chapter 5 of the X360 version atm. I have experienced very few frame rate drops (half a second frame rate drop while walking in the map and as few as once every hour and a half (played the game for 7 hours now)).

If you can go PS3 then don't hesitate as I think the graphics are much much better. The edges in the X360 version are very sharp specially the hair textures. I had to reduce the sharpness in my TV to minimum and reduce the game brightness to -2 since these hard edges make me go nuts. They didn't seem like a huge problem for my friends who were setting beside me,maybe my eyes are just to sensitive, I don't know.

For those who got the PS3 version, don't you feel like the edges are too sharp ? like every edge has a glowing line surrounding it ? I'm really thinking of asking my friend to send me back my PS3 to play the game (which will cost me + the game price around 100$).

Edit:

Edges don't look sharp to me in the PS3 one o_O

Zoe said:
I thought lower resolution results in softer edges? The sharpness never bothered me in the PS3 version
just the blocky fingers

haha I noticed the blocky fingers too!

I find myself disappointed in the 360 version when I read this thread, but when I am playing it I am in love and I cant believe how great it looks!

i think the best option would be to leave this thread forever and just enjoy the game.

LCfiner

The only comment I want to make in this thread is that pressing L1 on the PS3 controller is more comfortable than clicking LB on the 360 controller.

and you'll be hitting that button A LOT.

B-Dex

I'm on Ch7 now so once I finish it I can post Nautilus impressions. SO far I've noticed 2 or 3 occasions of frame rate stuttering for a brief second or two but nothing drastic up till now.

imail

FuturusX said:
Makes you wonder how many played it through twice, once on PS3 and then on 360...

Some reviews have only reviewed the X360 version. And I'm sure no one have mentioned a horrible frame rate drops.

DeadGzuz

Banned
imail said:

Now you are making up new graphics "issues", got a SS?

Jigsaw said:
im sure that ps360 guy at beyond3d will check it eventually

Yes, he is much less emotionally detached than DF, he doesn't seem to care about the results.

Swag

Ok guys I know this has been argued to hell and back but I'm at my limits.

So I'm in a little situation, my room mate didn't bring his PS3 back to our apartment after Spring Break, the next time he's going home will be in April to get it. I really want to play FF13 (been waiting 4 years!) and I only have a 360. Will the gameplay experience be hindered at all?

I don't really care about a few blurry textures or anything like that / swapping discs. Frame Rate / Screen Tearing are my main concerns.

I'm asking this question legitimately, I'm not trying to troll or anything.

imail

Sebulon3k said:

So I'm in a little situation, my room mate didn't bring his PS3 back to our apartment after Spring Break, the next time he's going home will be in April to get it. I really want to play FF13 (been waiting 4 years!) and I only have a 360. Will the gameplay experience be hindered at all?

I don't really care about a few blurry textures or anything like that / swapping discs. Frame Rate / Screen Tearing are my main concerns.

My problems is similar to yours. I'll be in Chapter 8 (hopefully) today or tomorrow max. I'll make sure to post my impressions. And try to rent it first as if I knew these sharp edges are THIS sharp, I wouldn't have started the game. And I don't consider my eyes that sensitive. Game play wise, the game is one of the greatest so far (7 hours).

Pooya

Sebulon3k said:

from lensoftruth face off, there is no tearing, but looks like there are frame rate drops later in the game , if the slowdowns are huge like 10-15fps in gran pulse then that's very bad because that's a huge part of the game. overall from what I've played so far from the PS3 version (ch8/17hours) the graphics are like 60% of the experience in this game, if you can wait for playing it on PS3 do it.

Sebulon3k said:

I was in your situation and ended up getting it for 360, so far the game runs amazing, the graphics are amazing and I have no complaints.. however I am only a few hours into the game, people are now saying that once you get to chapter 8 and 11 the frame rate takes some hits so who knows.

Pooya

Game Informer interview
Was adapting the game to the Xbox 360 a difficult process?
YK: Transitioning Final Fantasy XIII to multiplatform was not a huge obstacle, as the Crystal Tools engine was created with multiplatform development in mind. The game data and CG data were shared between the two platform versions as well, so the workload for this part of development never increased. Of course, that doesn’t apply to the programming staff that was a part of developing the Crystal Tools engine, as well as engines specific to each platform – they gave up their holidays and went above and beyond in dedicating their time to development.

The currently announced Fabula Nova Crystalis titles are Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Do these games represent the entirety of the project?
YK: Please look forward to future announcements.
Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII hmm.

Sebulon3k said:

The main issue from what I've seen is the sub 720p resolution. Thats what makes the difference for me anyways. Why don't you rent it on xbox360 tonight and decide whether you can continue with it or if you want the start the game over on PS3 later.

expy

Banned
Sebulon3k said:

It depends, if you can wait a few weeks then do that, the visual fidelity in this game is worth the wait, the cutscenes in 1080p are just beautiful. Also, the game runs about the same on both consoles as far as gameplay goes, but the 360 version drops frames noticeably in 2 parts of the game (can be quite annoying in those parts as well), and that's odd considering the lower resolution 360 runs at.

Top Bottom