• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT2| Use a security token. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

can someone post a comparison screenshot between those with that sweetfx thing and those without?
would like to know how much better it looks before trying it out

chrono01

I am an incredibly patient man. I almost never get mad over "little" things but seeing the condition of ARR's servers has kind of pushed me over the edge. I haven't play that many MMO's at launch and yes, those that I did often had many issues [frequent maintenance, long queues, bugged quest-givers, crashing, etc.]. However, if I had the time and wanted to wait the queue out, I would be able to play.

Not with ARR, at least, not consistently.

To be honest, I would be fine with an 8-hour queue. Make it 12 hours, that would be fine. Just let me enter a "waiting phase" so I could go about doing other things. However, the queue system for ARR is absolutely broken. Even if I do manage to get in one it often fails. The feeling I get with trying to log in is something akin to gambling, I'd imagine. That "one more attempt..." kind of situation where I can't leave the PC and do anything else in fear of that one solitary spot that I might otherwise be able to grab if I constantly tried filling up. Therefore, if I want to play, I have no other recourse but to sit and attempt the log in process myself.

I liken it to a restaurant that doesn't take reservations. If you decide to go for out for dinner, drive to the location, and try to grab a table only to be told "sorry sir, but there are no more tables available, please try again later". No estimate, no waiting list, you just need to keep checking back. You could sit in the lobby and ask the attendants every five minutes if a table has opened up, but that's your only real chance.

I'm really disappointed to see how they handled the NA/EU servers [why did they think combing them was a good idea?]. I have a subscription for six-months already linked to my account, but I'm seriously thinking of changing it to a one-month plan. I really don't feel confident enough to lock myself into a six-month period unless things get miraculously better in the next few days. Even with the addition of new servers I can't see the situation improving, unless they offer free transfers to them.

I really enjoy ARR, it's a definite improvement over 1.0. It's addictive, well-crafted and, most importantly, fun to play. This makes the inability to access the game even more depressing. :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Got booted off and have had no luck trying on and off to get back on for the last four hours.

While I understand no MMO launch is ever smooth and always comes with problems, in today's "microwave" gaming industry, I wouldn't blame not one person who threw up their hands and told SE to go fuck themselves.

Especially while the director and others party it up at PAX while their userbase struggles to even play the game (yeah, yeah I know things were scheduled far in advance).

Eusis

Quit out of Xillia due to accidentally skipping text in a significant cutscene, try to log in, get into a queue, seemingly start to get into the game, only to get hit by 10102. Yeah, guess I am playing Xillia for real tonight.

rM3R01F.jpg

Like my staff?

Heysoos

It looks like I'm not missing much! My ticket has gone unanswered for going on 4 days now. The only way to get the issue sorted out in a timely manner is to call/chat so that they can escalate your ticket and get your account fixed. However, phone queues have a wait period of 2+ hours even if you call as soon as the phone center opens. That's if you're not getting a busy tone signal. Same for chat, not to mention chat tends to bork and give you a no agents available to help error, slaps you in face with a try again suggestion, then makes you queue up again for 2-3+ hours only to get the same error again at the end of queue.

CLBridges

Was able to finally log in after getting "1017" for about 10 minutes. I'm now concentrating on getting the main story to level 20. First attempt at level 15 dungeon
Sastasha
went so smooth, excellent party. But that dang level 16
Tam-Tara Deepcroft
! Got to the very end of it and the healer just up and left the party. Needless to say, the tank and I tried a few times and got our asses handed to us lol. Came back with a very competent healer and blew through it. The level 17 dungeon,
Copperbell Mines
, was a breeze with the party I had. I'm very impressed by this game the more I play it.

apricot

Huh, I didn't know that if everyone passes on an item it's gone forever. Guess I'll make sure to greed from now on when need's not available

Phenomic

Are there any hours of the day when 1017 doesn't really give you just constant S***?

I would think by now midnight eastern, it wouldn't be as hard to get in, but apparently my logic is just god awful.

Not that I was just in game or anything though, you know no lag, no instance failures, no crashing.

It's pretty much just straight up lying to me. I know the world isn't full.

Uthred

Ran into the already infamous (which is sad) "Skip the cutscene!" strain of MMO asshole. Pugged Titan, watched the cool cutscene at the beginning, hit the instance as tank was landing his first hit on the boss. When the giant red aoe circle appeared a short while later I did what was required for every big red AOE circle in the game till that point - I ran outside it. Ah, hello Death my old friend. Cue a stream of all caps invective from the tank about how I didnt read his instructions. I mentioned I hadnt seen any instructions as he'd started the fight as soon as I got out of the cutscene. I feared (hoped) that both his heart and keyboard would give out under his rage.

I'd find this behaviour annoying even if it was a standard shitty MMO story, but in a game focused on story like FFXIV its not just shitty behaviour its also vaguely incomprehensible.

Aeana

Ran into the already infamous (which is sad) "Skip the cutscene!" strain of MMO asshole. Pugged Titan, watched the cool cutscene at the beginning, hit the instance as tank was landing his first hit on the boss. When the giant red aoe circle appeared a short while later I did what was required for every big red AOE circle in the game till that point - I ran outside it. Ah, hello Death my old friend. Cue a stream of all caps invective from the tank about how I didnt read his instructions. I mentioned I hadnt seen any instructions as he'd started the fight as soon as I got out of the cutscene. I feared (hoped) that both his heart and keyboard would give out under his rage.

I'd find this behaviour annoying even if it was a standard shitty MMO story, but in a game focused on story like FFXIV its not just shitty behaviour its also vaguely incomprehensible.
I haven't encountered anyone like that, but I hope I do. I would have plenty to say in a situation like that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I need to learn to DPS better.

I've been a tank all my life and playing as a Lancer is new to me. I've been getting props in all my dungeons so far but I can't help but feel like its luck at times.

That being said... Lancer is a lot of fun. And somehow its made me completely forgive and forget the hard times I had with FF12's battle system in some weird way.

Esura

Banned
Afk GAF part 2:

Some healer called me the best tank he has played with so far.

True story. I don't mess around, best player EU.

Awww Maple Cookie is too cute. Lalafells are by far the cutest damn things ever. Square should make some Lalafell plushies. I already have my character stalking all the Lalafells and running after them in between quests. Now I just need a Hug emote for Lalafells and everything will be sweet.

I really regret making an Elezen now...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I haven't encountered anyone like that, but I hope I do. I would have plenty to say in a situation like that.

Aren't you a healer anyways (tiv right?)? I'd love to see a tank run ahead without his healer because they were still watching a cutscene. Go right ahead and see how you do hahaha.

Riposte

If someone asked me to rush through the cutscene, I'd just tell them "no, sorry" (EDIT: Pretty handy that I'm usually the tank). Better not to make a big scene of it. Moreover, I hope you guys are using duty finder as a very last resort. Better to know who's who on your server.

I wish they put up stats after dungeons or something.

Yeah, I want dungeons to end with a classic FF victory screen.

DY_nasty

If someone asked me to rush through the cutscene, I'd just tell them "no, sorry". Better not to make a big scene of it. Moreover, I hope you guys are using duty finder as a very last resort. Better to know who's who on your server.

Agreed. I know a couple of names that are pretty much on the same pace as me in the game and I know a few to avoid.

There are some really bad Lancers out there. Really bad. Like "Oh shit, you can do combos?", spam riposte, "Move around the enemy? Why?", throwslancerepeatedlyatbosslikeitdoesn'tcost150TPanddoesnogamage type guys.

Rootbeer

Banned
that feel when everything is smoothly and working then YOUR internet decides to trip over a banana.

coooommmmmcaaaaassssstt.

even kotaku is hating on the launch.

http://kotaku.com/okay-yeah-final-f...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow
Finally... more press needs to jump in, put as much pressure as possible on SE to get this shit fixed and FAST, they've wasted enough time and probably lost tons of potential customers over this.

How hard is it to look at your pre-order numbers and know what the amount of servers you are going to need? This is not their first MMORPG launch and they don't deserve any sympathy here.

Salaadin

Finally... more press needs to jump in, put as much pressure as possible on SE to get this shit fixed and FAST, they've wasted enough time and probably lost tons of potential customers over this.
Pretty sure theyre well aware by now.

Really hope that Wednesdays fix is actually going to fix it.

Riposte

Agreed. I know a couple of names that are pretty much on the same pace as me in the game and I know a few to avoid.

There are some really bad Lancers out there. Really bad. Like "Oh shit, you can do combos?", spam riposte, "Move around the enemy? Why?", throwslancerepeatedlyatbosslikeitdoesn'tcost150TPanddoesnogamage type guys.

Nothing wrong with riposte.

Mister Happy is on Sargatanas? I thought it was another server. Interesting. He is the Legacy LS. Seen those guys around.

I have no choice but to us duty finders as of right now.

Try to create a network of players by joining multiple linkshells and keep in touch with people you did the last quest battle with.

daebo

Ugh. Loving the game so far. Wish I would have rolled on a Gaf server though. I rolled on Balmung because that is where she is, but she's so damn flaky I haven't even played with her yet and I think she is having a meltdown because she can't log a second character on the server (she has one but is trying to dual box it).

So, I've done a bunch of duty finder's really and a couple of groups. It's been cool. No real bad parties. But I'd love to be grouping with the same set of guys/gals. *sigh* Maybe I'll pay for a transfer once they get that stuff fixed.

Also... The worse thing for me is they have given me too many options. I have every class opened up except blacksmith and alchemist. So, you'll see me jumping around from class to class. I've got my paladin (gladiator) up to 33... Conj at the necessary 15. But archer at 8, armorer at 19, goldsmith 14, mining at 21 or 22... just jumping all around and haven't been bored yet. even with all the bad servers, I've got a good amount of time in. Going back to work Tuesday so game time will go down, but... yeah, enough of my blog post. Thanks for letting me rattle on.

Squalltdx

^^^ lol, nice. Where is that from?

I finally got a robe drop to complete the battlemage set from Brayflox. Felt like it was taking forever since I got the other pieces pretty quickly. I did spend over 90% of the runs healing on my SCH so it was some good experience. Feels really nice so far. I eventually need to get back to my WHM and lvl it up some more before I decide which healer type I want to focus on.

Code:
[IMG]http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt108/Squalltd/ffxiv_09022013_002530_zpse63fb9b6.png[/IMG]

Teknoman

If someone asked me to rush through the cutscene, I'd just tell them "no, sorry" (EDIT: Pretty handy that I'm usually the tank). Better not to make a big scene of it. Moreover, I hope you guys are using duty finder as a very last resort. Better to know who's who on your server.

That would be AMAZING! They could just use the icons used for your forum profile too! Maybe even show which loot drops you won?

Can we get an official forum topic on this ASAP?

Also i'm never skipping a cutscene unless i've seen it before. People need to stop rushing, especially since the timers are more than generous now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

You would just be wasting your time by saying anything to folks like that. Considering the other side was stupid enough to open their mouth in the first place. Just blacklist and be on your way.

Ken

???

Tabris

Sorry for all the questions I have been asking in this thread, I just really want to make sure a couple details and I got a couple vague answers before:

1) So asides from needing to turn down some graphic fidelity options, you can play this on PS3 without being hampered from everyone else (unlike FFXI)? All the UI elements are available to both platforms? (i.e. no windower situation?)

2) You can solo up to end game? or pretty close? What's the best class for solo'ing?

3) There's quick events / quests / tasks that you can do in 1-2 hours and then log out right, and still feel a sense of accomplishment?

If 2 and 3 aren't met, I'm afraid I may get addicted like FFXI. I'm also a heavily competitive person so I'll want to be the best which last I left FFXI meant doing multiple Salvage and Dynamis runs every week, and leveling in between. So I don't want to try as my life is pretty busy right now. If it's more casual and 1 and 2 are met, I feel I can handle it and a busy work / social life at the same time.

Any feedback you guys can give would be HIGHLY appreciated.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's painful seeing all those GAF people running around, knowing I should be with them. Denied the joy, the pride! Ah misery! The shame! Ahhh! Me, the FC-less fool. In any case, I'd love to play with other Level 10-something Gaffers soon.

KaiserWilson

Neo Member
Are there any hours of the day when 1017 doesn't really give you just constant S***?

I would think by now midnight eastern, it wouldn't be as hard to get in, but apparently my logic is just god awful.

Not that I was just in game or anything though, you know no lag, no instance failures, no crashing.

It's pretty much just straight up lying to me. I know the world isn't full.

It's the AFK'ers, there are several people who never log out of the game.

DY_nasty

Sorry for all the questions I have been asking in this thread, I just really want to make sure a couple details and I got a couple vague answers before:

1) So asides from needing to turn down some graphic fidelity options, you can play this on PS3 without being hampered from everyone else (unlike FFXI)? All the UI elements are available to both platforms? (i.e. no windower situation?)

2) You can solo up to end game? or pretty close? What's the best class for solo'ing?

3) There's quick events / quests / tasks that you can do in 1-2 hours and then log out right, and still feel a sense of accomplishment?

If 2 and 3 aren't met, I'm afraid I may get addicted like FFXI. I'm also a heavily competitive person so I'll want to be the best which last I left FFXI meant doing multiple Salvage and Dynamis runs every week, and leveling in between. So I don't want to try as my life is pretty busy right now. If it's more casual and 1 and 2 are met, I feel I can handle it and a busy work / social life at the same time.

Any feedback you guys can give would be HIGHLY appreciated.

2) No. You'll be forced to party up for a few story related dungeons. Pretty sure you can solo to the end of your class but its going to be really rough sledding.

3) Definitely. Many are so easy to do that you just keep on tacking them together and end up blowing tons of time though lol. I wanted to try fishing today, got bored after a while - didn't take but 15 minutes to see it wasn't for me (even though it looked to be insanely profitable), started mining afterwards.... 3 hours later...

But once Duty Finder and instances get polished up, I can imagine things being much better than they are now when it comes to quick stuff.
It's the AFK'ers, there are several thousand people who never log out of the game.

fixed

Was on CC final boss and got hit by 90k error then doomed to 1017 loop. Would be nice if server could save a slot for those that get log out in a instance or something similar...

(Sorry Omlet :( )

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
4-man isn't that bad. At what point? Can you solo a lot of the game?

Its a combination of the instances where you have to fight along side NPCs + others where you need party memebers. But yeah for the most part you can solo if you dont mind the occasional parts in the quest story where you will need to party up with randoms if you dont have any friends to contact to assist you.

Tabris

2) No. You'll be forced to party up for a few story related dungeons. Pretty sure you can solo to the end of your class but its going to be really rough sledding.

Can you clarify on this? I mean it's understandable you can't solo everything but if you can put in context against FFXI (pre-level 75+). I'm just afraid that I personally don't have time to be a part of a linkshell / group in the game as I may only log in once every couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom