• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT2| Use a security token. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachinko

Well, I let my subscription lapse for now. The friend I was playing with and myself have moved back to offline gaming for a bit, GTAV still needs to be finished and we also both grabbed wind waker HD. I still haven't picked up wonderful 101 and there's a new 3DS zelda and wii U mario out on the same day next month. So perhaps I'll sign up for a month or 2 after christmas ?

I do enjoy this game but it's 10 times more fun when you have a party going through it at the same time. Playing it solo when I've made it up to level 24 and still need to do a halitali run as a DPS ... ehh,

I'm curious at how the flow of the overall experience will change in the next few months though, obviously there are many people like me that might come back later who don't want to pay every month but there's probably just as many that played the shit out of the game in the free month , got their fill and won't ever come back. So will there be an even larger deficit of certain classes when using the duty finder ? Or will players start more characters on other servers and just keep going ?

I'll give FFXIV ARR some props though, I played up to level 24 in a month. Guild Wars 2 that took me 6 months (and I've since stopped playing it as much but since it's free I have it installed) and in WOW I never made it passed 20.

I feel bad about dragging friends into some of these games but I have to say again, the biggest reason for the fast tracking of FFXIV usage was that I got a friend to play with me. No one I know plays guild wars 2 and most people that did play WOW are sick of it.

Danj

So I got to level 25 and did the lv25 class quest but now I seem to have lost the thread of the story quest, any idea where I might go to find it again? the last thing I remember doing was
getting firewater ingredients for Tataroon
or whatever his name was.

Kronotech

I feel so new in this game still. I played 1.0 from release and basically soloed my MNK to 50 right before the servers went down.

Now I have a noob 50 MNK in 2.0 with AF gear but no idea how to do any endgame content. I feel so inexperienced for a level 50. Like I got a girl pregnant first and then decided to ask for her number later.

I'm taking up a secondary job now to get the hang of instances and party mechanics (tanking this time around) then will pick up my MNK again.

Alucrid

Banned
I wish people new to fights would actually say that they're new beforehand rather than blame us for not explaining the fight when everyone said they were ready...

Nakazato

I feel so new in this game still. I played 1.0 from release and basically soloed my MNK to 50 right before the servers went down.

Now I have a noob 50 MNK in 2.0 with AF gear but no idea how to do any endgame content. I feel so inexperienced for a level 50. Like I got a girl pregnant first and then decided to ask for her number later.

I'm taking up a secondary job now to get the hang of instances and party mechanics (tanking this time around) then will pick up my MNK again.

Story quest taught me to play jobs over

SkyOdin

So I got to level 25 and did the lv25 class quest but now I seem to have lost the thread of the story quest, any idea where I might go to find it again? the last thing I remember doing was
getting firewater ingredients for Tataroon
or whatever his name was.
If you finished gathering the Firewater ingredients, then you need to either talk to Teteroon again or head back to Buscarron in the South Shroud.

dramatis

You can't just spam gathering leves to 50, can you? Seems you run out of cards fast. I just did 3 and got half a level, at 36.
Ideally, you combine gathering leves with regular, non-leve whacking (for which you should buy your Grand Company "Company Survival Manual II" for, to get a +50% exp bonus), eat food for another +3%, and also mine 10 HQ of item specified on "Supply & Provision" missions for your GC (shown in Timers window).

Pick and choose your gathering leves, some give more exp and have easier/better ways of getting more bonus exp than other leves.

What kind of elitism are you witnessing?

I'm just curious, because a few things that I've seen specifically mentioned here (generally in complaints) I've found I'm not often able to sympathize with.

For example, shout groups of people running CM or Prae who ask for you to have relic/lv. 70 gear seems perfectly reasonable to me because there are just so many groups going at once and there will be something available for you as well if you don't satisfy the reqs there. If you want to take it slow, enjoy the cutscenes and if you're just wearing AF gear, that's totally acceptable as well - there are groups for those people just the same.

I had this same argument with someone in the FC that was complaining and calling people 'tryhards' (was hoping I wouldn't hear this term outside of MOBAs...) for shouting for gear requirements for AK/CM/Prae. With the way the endgame is structured (read: grindy and repetitive) just to get into the good stuff, how can you fault people for wanting to get the tome grind over as quickly and efficiently as possible? I can understand if you run into these people in DF, but why be mad at someone shouting that he/she would like geared dps for a certain run?

Om3ga

So I'm having an issue with subscription. I talk to a few people and square as well and was told that when my subscription runs out I'll be able to enter the proper code (collectors edition) and continue playing.

Unfortunately I still don't get that option. The only way I can enter a new windows code is by creating a new service account. If I do that will I still be able to play all my characters? I have 1 level 50 profession and 4 other level 20-30professions plus a level 40 class. I'd hate to lose all that, but I don't want to pay $20 to get the collectors edition items when I have a code sitting right here.

I would contact square again, but it seems like they aren't even understanding my problem. They sent me ANOTHER code and told me to put it on the service account I wish to keep when my free time runs out.

Maybe I'm just missing something and there's another spot to enter a game code.

TL:DR

I have collectors edition code I want to use. Can I use it, or can only continue playing by paying for a monthly subscription and then paying the upgrade fee for the collectors edition items.

Needless to say I didn't breathe for the last like minute and I think my heart stopped as I weas the last one left.

Holy cow that must have been exhilirating. Congratulations man, I can't wait till I find a party that's willing to stick around beyond a single wipe and take that sucker down for the first time.

KeRaSh

Which optional dungeons do you guys recommend doing? I did Halatali for the GC log but haven't touched Quarn or Cutter's Cry, yet. Are they worth doing for potential Dragoon equipment drops?
Got tomes from two Stone Vigil runs and I just clicked the game hints away because the party advanced and now I'm not sure what thwy are for. Are these the tomes that are used to upgrade or buy endgame equipment? Which NPCs are interested in these tomes?

inner-G

Banned
Sorry if its been asked already, but what's the best way to sub without using my CC info?

Can you buy prepaid sub cards somewhere?

Mupod

Which optional dungeons do you guys recommend doing? I did Halatali for the GC log but haven't touched Quarn or Cutter's Cry, yet. Are they worth doing for potential Dragoon equipment drops?
Got tomes from two Stone Vigil runs and I just clicked the game hints away because the party advanced and now I'm not sure what thwy are for. Are these the tomes that are used to upgrade or buy endgame equipment? Which NPCs are interested in these tomes?

I did all of them for fun and to see how they introduce this game's mechanics. Even managed to get all or mostly-gaf groups for the later ones, but I'm a tank. But yeah, it was all well worth it and Qarn at least was part of my Maelstrom hunting log. Cutter's Cry has a pretty tough but interesting final boss.

The NPCs for that equipment seem to be in mor dhona. 20 won't get you anything, though.

Anyways I hit 50 last night, and after...a couple hours of inventory sorting I'm ready to get this story stuff finished. Dropped a little gil to replace my level 35 belt and accessories, even. I'll be looking to put together a CM story run in an hour or so, followed by Praetorium.

So I'm having an issue with subscription. I talk to a few people and square as well and was told that when my subscription runs out I'll be able to enter the proper code (collectors edition) and continue playing.

Unfortunately I still don't get that option. The only way I can enter a new windows code is by creating a new service account. If I do that will I still be able to play all my characters? I have 1 level 50 profession and 4 other level 20-30professions plus a level 40 class. I'd hate to lose all that, but I don't want to pay $20 to get the collectors edition items when I have a code sitting right here.

I would contact square again, but it seems like they aren't even understanding my problem. They sent me ANOTHER code and told me to put it on the service account I wish to keep when my free time runs out.

Maybe I'm just missing something and there's another spot to enter a game code.

TL:DR

I have collectors edition code I want to use. Can I use it, or can only continue playing by paying for a monthly subscription and then paying the upgrade fee for the collectors edition items.

I'm pretty sure the CE code would have had to have been used to create the account.

Om3ga

I'm pretty sure the CE code would have had to have been used to create the account.
That's what I'm thinking too, but I was told by square-enix to use the code on the service account I want to keep, and a few people in my FC at the time told me that was correct(what square told them as well) but unfortunately it won't even allow me to enter a code.

Shouta

Server lag is MEGA bad today. I usually survive all the way to heart on Titan HM but stuff is lagging and teleporting all over today.

Shouta

Don't think they've said anything. I was getting calls for weights of the land before I could see the AOE circles, I hate a ton of them in my last attempt. That's even with Fists of Wind.

On that note, Fists of Wind is great for dodging that Titan junk when the server isn't being stupid.

N.A

Banned
Titan defeated today (healed with pad :) ) and relic got with my fc :)

sMnxv2G.jpg

Anyone know what's up with MogStation? I'm trying to sub and it didn't go in two times. Now my account service page says I have no characters...

:\

I clicked refresh and it ended up working for me. At first my character wouldn't show.

Well it's weird but It shows my characters on the regular mogstation page, but when I got to account services it says I have none.

And this is the third time I got 401 while trying to pay... sigh guess I gotta wait until late night or tomorrow :|

Omnicent

Some interesting stuff for any gathers out there. I have not seen it talked about here, so I guess I'll give it a go.

As some may already know gathering nodes is based on what I'd like to call a "node counter". Now I do not know it's exact value as that depends on how SE implemented it, but I'll assume 2, since that is what works for me.

Now it will be easier to explain this using an example.
Assume there are 3 nodes, A, B, & C, in close proximity and that node A is a +1 attempt node (because you always want to go for nodes that have whisper buffs).

We right click node A and begin mining away.
Now we go mine node B. If we check node A it is still not up yet.
Now we go mine node C. When we go to check node A it is now back up (I noticed this a few weeks ago and have been using this. IE I'll mine where I can get 2 whispers and 1 none-whisper in close proximity and ignore anything else).

It is apparent that there is some node tracking taking place where after you finish a node you will have to go to 2 more nodes before it re-spawns.

Today I realized the the reduction of the node's tracker is not done when you mine an item, but when you right click and the item list appears.
You only need to escape and it will reduce the counter.

Now I did try to just spam at 1 node, but that did not work. There seems to be a check in which this can only be done once per-node until you actually mine a node (there is probably more to it).

So our previous example becomes
Now we cancel node B. If we check node A it is still not up yet.
Now we cancel node C. When we go to check node A it is now back up.

You remove having to actually mine nodes B and C before node A re-spawns.

Now is this all beneficial? I don't know. You'd have to calculate the time of mining nodes A, B, & C vs only mining A (and any other node that has a whisper buff that you want) and canceling the other 2 (or 1) nodes. When you start to account for distance it becomes is it better to push mining nodes B/C onto node A or not.

I wonder if I should file a bug report, cause I don't want to get "rolled back" (oh god what have I done! lol)

Ok after a quick test it's not worth it unless the nodes are literally right by each other (the method of just mining 3 good nodes is still ideal though).

Some interesting stuff for any gathers out there. I have not seen it talked about here, so I guess I'll give it a go.

As some may already know gathering nodes is based on what I'd like to call a "node counter". Now I do not know it's exact value as that depends on how SE implemented it, but I'll assume 2, since that is what works for me.

Now it will be easier to explain this using an example.
Assume there are 3 nodes, A, B, & C, in close proximity and that node A is a +1 attempt node (because you always want to go for nodes that have whisper buffs).

Now we go mine node B. If we check node A it is still not up yet.
Now we go mine node C. When we go to check node A it is now back up (I noticed this a few weeks ago and have been using this. IE I'll mine where I can get 2 whispers and 1 none-whisper in close proximity and ignore anything else).

It is apparent that there is some node tracking taking place where after you finish a node you will have to go to 2 more nodes before it re-spawns.

Today I realized the the reduction of the node's tracker is not done when you mine an item, but when you right click and the item list appears.
You only need to escape and it will reduce the counter.

Now I did try to just spam at 1 node, but that did not work. There seems to be a check in which this can only be done once per-node until you actually mine a node (there is probably more to it).

So our previous example becomes
Now we cancel node B. If we check node A it is still not up yet.
Now we cancel node C. When we go to check node A it is now back up.

You remove having to actually mine nodes B and C before node A re-spawns.

Now is this all beneficial? I don't know. You'd have to calculate the time of mining nodes A, B, & C vs only mining A (and any other node that has a whisper buff that you want) and canceling the other 2 (or 1) nodes. When you start to account for distance it becomes is it better to push mining nodes B/C onto node A or not.

I wonder if I should file a bug report, cause I don't want to get "rolled back" (oh god what have I done! lol)

Ok after a quick test it's not worth it unless the nodes are literally right by each other (the method of just mining 3 good nodes is still ideal though).

It's interesting to see how you're thinking about this. As you concluded I would have assumed that the time taken running between nodes would outweigh the benefit of +1 gather or any of the other benefits as they are all relatively small. And most nodes that I've mined have been quite a distance apart.

Darksol

In the market for the best possible meals I can buy to temporarily raise my control stat when crafting elusive two star items. Any suggestions?

Kokonoe

Banned
Seriously. Lancer (not DRG) with a healing Chocobo and using defensive moves from Marauder, Conjurer, and Gladiator make you practically invincible if you know what you're doing combined with Lancer's defensive moves. I practically just soloed the Ixali FATE boss monster in Camp Dragonhead despite having like 3 adds on me and having to kill them throughout the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom