• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT2| Use a security token. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

Wow. The last two story dungeons were actually very well done. And it was made even better by running it with an all GAF party. I really feel sorry for people that had their first experience ruined by duty finder-speed runners.

Kokonoe

Banned
I found a FATE grinding guide with all of the good spots for which levels.

http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ebens-fate-grinding-guide.26/

Wow. The last two story dungeons were actually very well done. And it was made even better by running it with an all GAF party. I really feel sorry for people that had their first experience ruined by duty finder-speed runners.

Yeah, I haven't even bothered to watch the cutscenes I missed out on when I was using the DF for those. The whole experience all around felt rather empty and I didn't have a chance to enjoy myself in the dungeons at all.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey GAF, does fishing feed into anything? I noticed only some fish say 'crafting material'.

Cooking + Alchemy

Alchemy use fish for oil + poison, food for... FOOD!

Also fishing has a cool mechanic of something called Mooching, I'm leveling it up to see that

Foaloal

This idea has probably been mentioned before, but what do people think about SE allowing you to look for certain types of groups when queueing in the duty finder.

For example, there could be a "first timers" designation for players who are new and will want to watch the cutscenes.

An "experienced" designation for players who know what they're doing, and won't want to see the cutscenes again.

Possibly a third designation could be "geared" for players who, obviously, are well geared.

SE could implement actual requirements, like you have to beat an instance on "first timers" before you can move on to "experienced", and before you can move on to "geared" you need an average iLvl of a certain amount or something.

Personally I think the gear elitism in some instances is kind of necessary, because I tried going through AK in AF gear with one darklight accessory and no matter what I didn't seem to be able to heal through the adds on Demon Wall.

Mairu

Personally I think the gear elitism in some instances is kind of necessary, because I tried going through AK in AF gear with one darklight accessory and no matter what I didn't seem to be able to heal through the adds on Demon Wall.

They don't really do that much damage if you avoid/interrupt the aoe.

gear is no replacement for awareness/skill

Totakeke

For people who has cleared CoB T4, how much did the AF2/Allagan gear help in your group's success?

So far my group had nothing but dps gear drop and it feels like it's hindering our progress quite a bit.

Alucrid

Banned
For people who has cleared CoB T4, how much did the AF2/Allagan gear help in your group's success?

So far my group had nothing but dps gear drop and it feels like it's hindering our progress quite a bit.

eh, a bit. for the first two weeks it was mainly drg/caster loot. on the third one when we downed turn four we got a few tank/brd items. it was probably just mostly working through the fight though, the week before we got the last dread to enrage.

SRTtoZ

Just some screenies of how gorgeous this game is.

amJNP4t.jpg

Dunan

About to take on the Tam-Tara Deepcroft (the second multiplayer dungeon in my scenario) and have some questions:

* I'm a Thaumaturge but spent some time as a Conjurer also. I picked up Aero as a second "poison-like" attack that depletes enemy HP over time. Will this stack with the lightning-based attack that I have as a THM, or am I wasting a hotbar slot giving to my THM?

* I finally discovered that I have a minion -- I talked to one of the Delivery Moogles, and he give me six messages that had piled up -- but how do I access him, and what does he do?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
* I finally discovered that I have a minion -- I talked to one of the Delivery Moogles, and he give me six messages that had piled up -- but how do I access him, and what does he do?

Use the minion from your inventory to "learn" him, then place him on your hotbar from Actions & Traits > Minions to call him. It's just for looks.

SRTtoZ

About to take on the Tam-Tara Deepcroft (the second multiplayer dungeon in my scenario) and have some questions:

* I'm a Thaumaturge but spent some time as a Conjurer also. I picked up Aero as a second "poison-like" attack that depletes enemy HP over time. Will this stack with the lightning-based attack that I have as a THM, or am I wasting a hotbar slot giving to my THM?

I can only answer your first question and the answer is, while you are low level you can use it but as you get higher up and get your proc traits (thundercloud/firestarter etc) then you wont use Aero since it will mess up your rotation and wont be worth it.

raven777

its been a day since my sub ended...I am really tempted to subscribe again....

got to wait until mid- October to get some time to play but I just want to log in and see my character lol....

Dunan

Use the minion from your inventory to "learn" him, then place him on your hotbar from Actions & Traits > Minions to call him. It's just for looks.

Really, that's it? It won't fight at my side or heal me or anything? Blah. Now I begrudge him that single space in my 98-out-of-100-full inventory.

I can only answer your first question and the answer is, while you are low level you can use it but as you get higher up and get your proc traits (thundercloud/firestarter etc) then you wont use Aero since it will mess up your rotation and wont be worth it.

Well, I don't have any of those exotic traits, and I do have three or four spaces left on my hotbar, so I think I'll keep Aero active for now. I also got Raise as a Conjurer, so I'll keep that active in case someone out in the field falls and I'm in the area.

I registered for the Deepcroft, but since I changed my class while the Dury Finder was getting me set up, it kicked me out rather than chance me back to my original class. That's a disappointment. I'll go sign up again.

Tarazet

Ideally, you combine gathering leves with regular, non-leve whacking (for which you should buy your Grand Company "Company Survival Manual II" for, to get a +50% exp bonus), eat food for another +3%, and also mine 10 HQ of item specified on "Supply & Provision" missions for your GC (shown in Timers window).

Pick and choose your gathering leves, some give more exp and have easier/better ways of getting more bonus exp than other leves.

I noticed that some of the leves in Coerthas were giving me Cordials. I didn't check the market board to see how much those were selling for, since I used all of the ones I got to complete more leves more quickly, but they're amazing. Still doesn't seem that efficient in terms of translating leve cards to XP compared with crafting, but I guess some folks already have all crafts at 50.

Archer class has gotten me interested in PvE content again. It think right now it's the only class I can just have fun playing, without having to worry about all kinds of bullshit.

wrongway

Awesome. Struggling with the dumb flan boss in Wanderer's Palace, we finally get a decent fight going and get near the end... and I get 90k'd -- as the healer -- and the NA/EU list is down.

Fuck everything. :(

edit: and now there's a 90-person queue. Yay. :(

edit 2: aaaaand 90k'd again. Lol.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
90k'd here as well, while crafting an item. Better not lose my mats =/

Edit: Yep, lost my mats.

Teletraan1

Banned
How does the Vial of Fantasia that was just sent out work? I know it changes appearance and apparently sex but not name. Is it single use, or do you retain the item after use and it goes on a long CD? I have heard conflicting things.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm afraid to move my character seeing someone in the party get 90k and people here get 90k.

Yes. If the ability says "increases damage" then it will work for any class that can use it. But of the jobs, only MNK and BRD have access to it because of class skill lockouts.

I find it useful for leveling up Conjurer since they don't do too much damage early on. Well, I suppose you could find it useful for any job leveling up to 30!

Tarazet

How does the Vial of Fantasia that was just sent out work? I know it changes appearance and apparently sex but not name. Is it single use, or do you retain the item after use and it goes on a long CD? I have heard conflicting things.

It is a single use, used mine today and the item disappeared. Also, you have to right click on your character, if you try to log back in after using it then I think you wasted your Fantasia. (There is a warning blurb)

Zand

Neo Member
It is a single use, used mine today and the item disappeared. Also, you have to right click on your character, if you try to log back in after using it then I think you wasted your Fantasia. (There is a warning blurb)

If you log back in on the character that used the Potion without changing it appearance, you will still have that option the next time you log in. You have to right click on your characters name in the login screen and select re-edit.

Amon-Lau

Awesome. Struggling with the dumb flan boss in Wanderer's Palace, we finally get a decent fight going and get near the end... and I get 90k'd -- as the healer -- and the NA/EU list is down.

Fuck everything. :(

edit: and now there's a 90-person queue. Yay. :(

edit 2: aaaaand 90k'd again. Lol.

That's cause you didn't have me on your team, I'm the missing link~ ;D

Ken

Anyone know or have resources that know about DPS difference between equally geared PLD and WAR at 50?

I've read a Lodestone math posts saying the difference is negligible and that makes me sad.

Sin

Anybody else suffering from terrible lag since the last maintenance?

The game for me and most of my FC has been rendered unplayable. Yesterday was the worst, we were doing Garuda for relic progression when we started getting huge lag spikes, game stopped for 5 seconds every 15 seconds or so and then fast forwarded to catch up. The best part was when Garuda teleported to summon her clones and she never reappeared. I couldn't target anything.

Titan is really bad too, instant Landslides and plumes. Can't do anything anymore and its getting immensly frustrating. We have a set schedule to farm BCs and relics but we had to stop dead in our tracks because of the lag.

Anyone know or have resources that know about DPS difference between equally geared PLD and WAR at 50?

I've read a Lodestone math posts saying the difference is negligible and that makes me sad.

This is discussed pretty heavily in the official forums, tank roles subforum.

WAR does ~5% more damage than PLD, when WAR has Defiance off and PLD is in Sword Oath stance. In other words, the difference is indeed negligible.

You don't take a tank in your party to do DPS anyways, so the discussion is largely moot. By the time you're at Titan HM the DPS are doing 200-300 DPS and at best with a tailwind the tank would be doing 100-130 DPS if he wasn't in his tanking stance, and nobody tanks out of tanking stance. In tanking stance you'd be lucky to break 100 DPS, I think I parsed at around 80 DPS once while tanking Ifrit HM where I literally do nothing but stand still and hit him.

Sblargh

Banned

WAR does ~5% more damage than PLD, when WAR has Defiance off and PLD is in Sword Oath stance. In other words, the difference is negligible.

You don't take a tank in your party to do DPS anyways, so the discussion is largely moot.

No, but talking as a SCH, since healing PLD is so freaking easier, WAR helping with DPS might actually be a good trade-off.

The riskier tank who support DPS is a good role. The tank that dies faster than the other tank class, not so much.

No, but talking as a SCH, since healing PLD is so freaking easier, WAR helping with DPS might actually be a good trade-off.

The riskier tank who support DPS is a good role. The tank that dies faster than the other tank class, not so much.

Which is exactly the problem here. There is nothing that WAR does better than PLD except maybe aggro a group of mobs slightly more quickly. However everything that a tank is required to do, which is basically boiled down to not die while being hit by the boss, is done better by PLD. This is why WAR needs tuning, and by tuning I mean buffing, and by buffing how about if fucking Caduceus doesn't literally kill me in 3 hits?

Ken

WAR does ~5% more damage than PLD, when WAR has Defiance off and PLD is in Sword Oath stance. In other words, the difference is indeed negligible.

You don't take a tank in your party to do DPS anyways, so the discussion is largely moot. By the time you're at Titan HM the DPS are doing 200-300 DPS and at best with a tailwind the tank would be doing 100-130 DPS if he wasn't in his tanking stance, and nobody tanks out of tanking stance. In tanking stance you'd be lucky to break 100 DPS, I think I parsed at around 80 DPS once while tanking Ifrit HM where I literally do nothing but stand still and hit him.

I was thinking about leveling a WAR to bring to turn 4 as OT but if the DPS difference is that small then eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom