• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackJace

AST taking our rightful spot as head healer. SCH you're next.

FEGra7l.gif

Come and get us, you best not miss

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So my Jobs of choice look like this now:
Ranged DPS- Bard
Healer- Astrologian
Tank- Dark Knight
Caster DPS- Red Mage
Melee DPS- Samurai

Bard and Astrologian are still my only two real Main Jobs and they are the ones who will get priority on Relic Weapon Progress but I feel like I got all the bases covered with the addition of Samurai and Red Mage to my rooster.

Xux

Red Mage auto-attack is pretty hilarious. I can think of plenty of reasons why they'd do it gameplay wise but it's still weird seeing an actual melee weapon doing such pathetic damage.

"MNK: Riddle of Fire is 15% speed loss and 30% dmg increase, compared to ENG which is 30% speed lost and 20% dmg increase"

lmao that is so much better

assuming the JP tips are most up to date, what the fuck happened with English

Croyles

I have one worry about Bard song rotation and how strict it seems to be.

This means I need fucking time stamps for all bosses to figure out if I can get the best song and Troubadour effect up at the right time for certain phases.

Add phase is up but mages ballad isn't? Rip rain of death aoe.
Troubadour is back up during armys paeon but no physical damage is being taken? Guess I have to save it for another 30 seconds... Oh now theres no magical damage during wanderers minuet? ok...

I imagine you would have to set up the best order of songs for each fight at the start, but not being able to switch up the order mid fight seems a little restrictive.
This will require knowing the fight ahead of time. At least we might have a bit more leeway with our openers as it doesn't appear to be as buff heavy as it used to.

I'm struggling to think of ways they could implement it without bards just sticking with the best 2 songs at all times though.

Luigi87

Yesterday I worked an eight hour shift, got home, took a nap, woke up, then sat down to finally play through some HW. As soon as I loaded the game, I got a call that they needed me back at work for another four hours due to lack of coverage.

So I'll play tomorrow I thought... today after another shift of which I had to unload, sort, and put a way a truck of merchandise on my own for 6 hours due to scheduling conflicts and a call in, I feel too exhausted to play D=
... maybe... maybe tomorrow... ;_;

I need a real life Fairy to heal me dangit!

Primus

Posted this in the last thread right before the lock, because I'm lucky that way.

So I'm definitely thinking about getting back into the game for some of that sexy, sexy RDM action, but I'm a little confused about the Jump Potions. I left off about 1/3 through Heavensward (couldn't handle Ravana with my BLM, as I'm an old man), so being able to skip all that and get straight to Stormblood is awesome, but there doesn't seem to be a skip-just-Heavensward selection? Either you skip ARR, or skip ARR+HW together, but not just HW.

Seems a little sucky that I'd have to pay the higher $25 for the combo skip, when all I need is the last expansion.

Kenai

Been an AST so long and i've never felt happier with my choice. I was kinda hoping they would have added more things to differentiant the stances though. It still looks like just two still.All of the actual new skills seem effective though (and as usual, best looking in game effects).

I'm more than a bit annoyed at a few things regarding WHM though. I don't like playing WHM and never really have, but it would be nice it they wouldn't follow the AST route of HW were they were (comparatively) gimped at launch, followed by totally fine due to necessary buffs, then over buffed due to the afformentioned not removing the stigma from launch blues. yet the writing is on the wall for that happening. I think the Lilly concept would be better utilized if the applied to their DPS spells (albeit with a reduced effect) and do something a bit more reliable for their healing. RNG in the job is fine (AST obv is ok), but that much RNG tied into your actual healing spells rarely works because it's hard to find a window where the extra healing both procs and is actually needed on a regular basis. But enough about that for now, cause like I said I don't actually play the job.

The whole bandwagon thing for AST is weird AF though. I mean, it's ok since I have my AST relic to show that I am clearly more dedicated than the eventual slew of bandwagon plebs, but it's still weird af. It's quite a technical job and you don't get a whole lot of time to actively DPS in combat in your group compared to other healers as a result of the Yu-Gi-Oh (which i really like tbh) but I'm curious how many people are actually into that play-style and will stick with it.

Croyles

Posted this in the last thread right before the lock, because I'm lucky that way.

So I'm definitely thinking about getting back into the game for some of that sexy, sexy RDM action, but I'm a little confused about the Jump Potions. I left off about 1/3 through Heavensward (couldn't handle Ravana with my BLM, as I'm an old man), so being able to skip all that and get straight to Stormblood is awesome, but there doesn't seem to be a skip-just-Heavensward selection? Either you skip ARR, or skip ARR+HW together, but not just HW.

Seems a little sucky that I'd have to pay the higher $25 for the combo skip, when all I need is the last expansion.

If you're talking about the scenario (story) jump potion, you don't need to complete Heavensward to do Stormblood.

Don't even care about the aoe nerfs, new SCH has me hyped up.

One of the new abilities, the one that heals someone when they reach 50% seems like something that would go on WHM.

Oh well, I actually don't think they have any duds in terms of abilities.

Super Fairy heal one one person
Better Broil
Heal on 50%
More crit on a single foe (on bosses or high HP targets)

I think that's it.

I'm wondering about Healer DPS though, it's going to get to that point where you don't need to heal and the only thing left is to DPS, but since all the Healers lost a DoT it's probably going to be more repetitive than it was before.

I wonder why they didn't decide to give Healers buff abilities that contribute more damage than their own personal DPS. I mean if they don't want to put pressure on people to heal they could have left them with a couple abilities purely for solo purposes but then give them supportive buffs to their party members that ends up producing more overall DPS than if they just spammed their damage skills.

iammeiam

I have one worry about Bard song rotation and how strict it seems to be.

This means I need fucking time stamps for all bosses to figure out if I can get the best song and Troubadour effect up at the right time for certain phases.

Add phase is up but mages ballad isn't? Rip rain of death aoe.
Troubadour is back up during armys paeon but no physical damage is being taken? Guess I have to save it for another 30 seconds... Oh now theres no magical damage during wanderers minuet? ok...

It probably says a lot about me that this is one of the more interesting parts of New Bard to me. It will be incredibly encounter dependent, but at the same time any fight with a scripted jump mechanic has the downtime become strategic opportunities to rearrange your song rotation.

I think/hope the increased DoT length ends up making this feel slightly organic--you'll get to the point of knowing when the 30s marks in fights are largely from coinciding with DoT refreshes, and then it becomes more of a natural CD alignment thought process than searching out awkward windows in combat logs. It's weird for Bard in that Bard has traditionally been the job that tracks a billion unrelated timers, but I think there's potential with the song idea.

Admittedly I'm kind of surprised there's no 3m CD to allow you to activate 1 song currently on cooldown.

Primus

If you're talking about the scenario (story) jump potion, you don't need to complete Heavensward to do Stormblood.

So once Stormblood launches I can just walk out of Ishgard, middle fingers raised high, and start the Stormblood MSQ? That's definitely good news.

iammeiam

So once Stormblood launches I can just walk out of Ishgard, middle fingers raised high, and start the Stormblood MSQ? That's definitely good news.

This is wrong--4.0 MSQ needs 3.56 MSQ clear. They originally said otherwise then decided $$

You can however start a RDM or SAM immediately on hitting 50 with no story requirement.

suzu

You do need to complete Heavensward's main scenario to get to Stormblood.

The red mage and samurai jobs are available in non-Stormblood areas though.

Edit: Beat!

Croyles

It probably says a lot about me that this is one of the more interesting parts of New Bard to me. It will be incredibly encounter dependent, but at the same time any fight with a scripted jump mechanic has the downtime become strategic opportunities to rearrange your song rotation.

I think/hope the increased DoT length ends up making this feel slightly organic--you'll get to the point of knowing when the 30s marks in fights are largely from coinciding with DoT refreshes, and then it becomes more of a natural CD alignment thought process than searching out awkward windows in combat logs. It's weird for Bard in that Bard has traditionally been the job that tracks a billion unrelated timers, but I think there's potential with the song idea.

Admittedly I'm kind of surprised there's no 3m CD to allow you to activate 1 song currently on cooldown.

It's also worth noting that the songs require an enemy to cast them on I think. So planning a defensive buff with Troubadour for a big attack during a boss phase change needs quite a bit of planning, especially because Troubadour ends when switching or letting a song fall off.
Another thing to note is that bard songs are all 30 seconds. I can imagine a scenario where a phase change happens 45 seconds in to the fight (aka 15s in to second song) that then requires a different song to be played. Could make for some troublesome timing with the 80s cooldown by the time you start your rotation again.

For some reason I didn't think of downtime during phase changes and being able to rearrange the order. That makes it a little more lenient imo.

3m CD to activate 1 song would also be good, although that may just end up being used as an extended opener (nothing wrong with that I suppose).

EDIT: I do too many EDITS.

This is wrong--4.0 MSQ needs 3.56 MSQ clear. They originally said otherwise then decided $$

You can however start a RDM or SAM immediately on hitting 50 with no story requirement.

Ah sorry, I must have missed this.

scy

One of the new abilities, the one that heals someone when they reach 50% seems like something that would go on WHM.

My like expected WHM added skill was basically HP Stock / Divine Intervention and somehow SCH got it. In a lot of ways, swapping Confessions and Excogitation between WHM and SCH would have been a decent arrangement? Let SCH generate stacks off their heals / shields / Fairy touched targets to then flip into a "turn the tides" AoE heal and WHM getting the bubble heal that auto-heals when popped.

I dunno. Maybe it'll play out better but the RNG levels of it on a strictly planned out / timered out setup is this weird "Eh ..." reaction to me, especially as I'm not sure it's the kind of throughput assist even diehard WHMs wanted.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
peeps, i haven't played since like Feb, I had a BLM and a SCH at level 56/57. am I fucked if i come back? content overload? i just wanna get to end game and actually stick with it. I'm on Ton.
You can finish before SB if you sub now and have someone to help you with gear/have gil to buy gear at 60. The story after base Heavensward isn't as bloated as ARR was so you can justblow past it if your ilv is high enough.

Or if you really wanna skip through it and just directly start SB you can fork over $25 to lv 1 job to 60 and $25 to finish the HW main story quest.

iammeiam

TBH if you're a PLD now you should be happy. Giant questions about what will be The Meta but SB PLD > HW PLD

Another thing to note is that bard songs are all 30 seconds. I can imagine a scenario where a phase change happens 45 seconds in to the fight (aka 15s in to second song) that then requires a different song to be played. Could make for some troublesome timing with the 80s cooldown by the time you start your rotation again.

For some reason I didn't think of downtime during phase changes and being able to rearrange the order. That makes it a little more lenient imo.

See and that's again where it gets interesting, because we tend to think in terms of 100% song uptime for various reasons, but if there's a 15s jump 35s into a phase, maybe the solution is that you go without the song for 5s so get full duration when the guy lands, and by the time the second song falls off you're 80s into the fight so the first one is back up and you still have the third one sitting there. I dunno. There's a lot they could do to make it convoluted, but they've also unified most stuff around the 30s chunks so they could just make phases line up cleanly if they wanted. All this potential.

ebil

My like expected WHM added skill was basically HP Stock / Divine Intervention and somehow SCH got it. In a lot of ways, swapping Confessions and Excogitation between WHM and SCH would have been a decent arrangement? Let SCH generate stacks off their heals / shields / Fairy touched targets to then flip into a "turn the tides" AoE heal and WHM getting the bubble heal that auto-heals when popped.

I dunno. Maybe it'll play out better but the RNG levels of it on a strictly planned out / timered out setup is this weird "Eh ..." reaction to me, especially as I'm not sure it's the kind of throughput assist even diehard WHMs wanted.
That would have made so much more sense with the fairy being a smart healing turret to begin with. It actually reminds me of the old Mistweaver's Uplift in WoW, which used to affect the targets that were blanketed by Renewing Mist (before it got changed into its current incarnation).

I'm shaking my head in disbelief whenever I imagine a FF14 game designer thinking that an AOE heal RNG proc'd by casting single target cures would be a great idea.

Croyles

TBH if you're a PLD now you should be happy. Giant questions about what will be The Meta but SB PLD > HW PLD

See and that's again where it gets interesting, because we tend to think in terms of 100% song uptime for various reasons, but if there's a 15s jump 35s into a phase, maybe the solution is that you go without the song for 5s so get full duration when the guy lands, and by the time the second song falls off you're 80s into the fight so the first one is back up and you still have the third one sitting there. I dunno. There's a lot they could do to make it convoluted, but they've also unified most stuff around the 30s chunks so they could just make phases line up cleanly if they wanted. All this potential.

I find it interesting for sure, it's just the area where I saw the most potential for it getting convoluted.

I also expected the same HP heal upon taking damage thing as their version of a barrier but not actually a barrier.

At least WHM got Stoneskin back on a 60s cooldown.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Makes sense for SCH, sch is mostly about being preemptive about stuff and letting them focus on dps after. That new ability goes perfectly with adlo and the fairy teather for a tank buster set up. Before a sch had to adlo, then wait for the tank buster to hit, then physic lustrate in timing with the hit. Now they don't need to do that and can focus on dpsing moreso xD

I mean I wouldnt have minded a 100% crit chance adlo for a stack spell either

Makes sense for SCH, sch is mostly about being preemptive about stuff and letting them focus on dps after. That new ability goes perfectly with adlo for a tank buster set up. Before a sch had to adlo, then wait for the tank buster to hit, then physic lustrate in timing with the hit. Now they don't need to do that and can focus on dpsing moreso xD

Yeah it really makes it easy to decide which one is worth spending time on.

Since I need inventory space for SB I'm considering purging all my WHM stuff since in their current incarnation they are not worth playing imo.

Things could change at release but I doubt they are going to heavily change the design as it is now.

Also I really need space for tank glamour and anything I could use for a fancy Red Mage glamour (already have some stuff prepared for that actually).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Eh, everyone will need to wait and see how the 4.0 raid content plays out, whm extra potency could potentially make or break some fights early on.

Ast has always kinda been the after everyone is geared up swap whm for ast in my eyes

scy

I just got home. How badly have they screwed up PLD? Should I start leveling another job?

I've been pretty down on the PLD changes but, really, they did come out with a lot of good things; I think people who were happy with PLD before will like most of the things added as they boosted their GCDs a bit (and shifted RA to Riot Blade rather than Savage Blade) and gave them an MP cycle for their DPS.

That would have made so much more sense with the fairy being a smart healing turret to begin with. It actually reminds me of the old Mistweaver's Uplift in WoW, which used to affect the targets that were blanketed by Renewing Mist (before it got changed into its current incarnation).

The whole time leading up to the reveal I just assumed they stole Lifebloom. Then it turns out that none of their mechanics actually care about their regens.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief whenever I imagine a FF14 game designer thinking that an AOE heal RNG proc'd by casting single target cures would be a great idea.

It really is the most baffling part? In a vacuum I think the ideas are themselves pretty good. It's just the way of accessing them that throws up giant question marks. Then there's the RNG-based cooldown reduction of abilities that aren't really used on cooldown but rather for specific planned uses. I'm not sure what the identity of WHM is with these changes all-in-all.

Makes sense for SCH, sch is mostly about being preemptive about stuff and letting them focus on dps after.

It really does, it's more that I think WHM could have really benefitted from that as their niche response to mitigation. It doesn't inflate HP pools to survive a hit but it helps frontload the GCD to respond to a situation which is something they've been sort of wanting to have access to.

Kenai

Eh, everyone will need to wait and see how the 4.0 raid content plays out, whm extra potency could potentially make or break some fights early on.

Ast has always kinda been the after everyone is geared up swap whm for ast in my eyes

If they had nerfed Balance back down to 10% I might agree with you (and admittedly they still could). but as long as that remains there's simply not much more to be said. When gear is tight as it is, a DPS boost like that simply can't/won't be ignored.

I don't think healer balance is un-salvageable or anything mind you, but the actual mechanics behind WHM's flower stuff have me kind of worried right now. It just doesn't seem that great as-is, not something just to tweak with potency anyway.

studyguy

Our rotation sounds like a strange mix of our 2.0 rotation for FoF into a burst of magic casting when requicast is up.

It feels strange

iammeiam

It depends on encounters a lot, but I can't see them going from Creator to WHM Potency Required. I could see it in the odd-patch super savage, but mandating WHM healbombs implies a lot of timing stuff I don't see happening and AST was more than sufficient for Creator. I also think the confessions thing is literally only salvageable if a proc procs on the whole party.

Which if Super Savage is good might be the best solve--you can anything the normal raid and then get srs for the bragging rights.

Didn't realize that Quietus and Bloodspiller are not oGCDs.

That changes things a bit.

I am still annoyed that Dark Knight has no transformation or form like Inner Release which is hype as fuck to look at.

Still, I am willing to try it out but since you can only level one job through the main story quests to 70 I have to choose one and leave the other two tanks till later on.

Currently I am eyeing Warrior since they seem to have received the best additions and I'm still skeptical about Paladin after seeing that the Oath gauge has no offensive use.

scy

Our rotation sounds like a strange mix of our 2.0 rotation for FoF into a burst of magic casting when requicast is up.

It feels strange

Maybe that's what you meant but you'd probably FoF to time it ending on Requiescat? Since it doesn't work on HolyFellCleave due to physical buff vs magical damage. So FoF into Goring Blade -> RA+RA+Goring Blade (now doesn't clip!) before cycling MP?

It's this weird point of contention of which set of cooldowns do you set rolling first or is it just better to do them both anyway and sub out an RA for an MP dump instead of idling a cooldown forever. It's the one thing I've been thinking on for how you'd try to PLD since it seems interesting in how it doesn't line up perfectly well.

Looking at Blackest Night it doesn't cost any Blood Gauge to use but gives 50 when the shield expires.

Maybe there will be some sort of balance between using MP for Dark Arts and Blackest Night to get as much Blood Gauge as possible.

Foxxsoxx

So I'm leveling up a dark knight in POTD and holy crap their rotation became rocket science at 60.

I'm sure it is easier than it looks but jeez I have so many buttons to press it's scary.

So I'm leveling up a dark knight in POTD and holy crap their rotation became rocket science at 60.

I'm sure it is easier than it looks but jeez I have so many buttons to press it's scary.

Dark Arts > Carve and Spit whenever possible. Weave in some siphon strikes to get your MP back, Dark Arts > Souleater when Carve and Spit is off cooldown.

Balance your MP depending on what fight you're in -- for longer fights where there's nothing to attack, keep it no lower than 30%, as you'll run out of MP if it's much lower than that.

Otherwise you're safe to keep it in the 20% range for greedy Dark Arts usage.

Also, try to be outside of Grit as much as possible.

BLCKATK

I've got a question about Intervention.

So, to me this ability sounds incredible. I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Does Intervention reduce damage the target is taking by 10%, and if YOU (the Paladin) are under the effect of Rampart or Sentinel, it increases the Mitigation on the target to 60%? Or does Intervention cause the target's Rampart or Sentinel effect to increase to 60%?

Either way the move is still pretty amazing, Rampart becomes in INSANE cooldown when buffed by Intervention, allowing a target to shrug off a tank buster no problem while the entire party is going full force on damage. This ability got me very hyped.

scy

Looking at Blackest Night it doesn't cost any Blood Gauge to use but gives 50 when the shield expires.

Maybe there will be some sort of balance between using MP for Dark Arts and Blackest Night to get as much Blood Gauge as possible.

It's actually interesting to me since Grit was basically an MP-based GCD cooldown, aka DRK Inner Beast, should the situation arise. Seems they ran with the concept and gave them an oGCD MP based variant instead.

Worth noting people are saying the JP tooltip specifies that it gives 50 Blood Gauge upon the shield being used up, not from wearing off.

So, to me this ability sounds incredible. I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Does Intervention reduce damage the target is taking by 10%, and if YOU (the Paladin) are under the effect of Rampart or Sentinel, it increases the Mitigation on the target to 60%? Or does Intervention cause the target's Rampart or Sentinel effect to increase to 60%?

It increases the effect of the buff passed over by 50% of Rampart (+10%) or Sentinel (+20%) if the Paladin uses them with Intervention. Basically a way to pass off 50% of their defensive buffs if they're OTing with them active. Just make sure to activate them prior to using Intervention it would seem.

Edit: I have no idea how it wants to function if you pop them all and then Intervention the target. That said, I have to question why you wouldn't just tank swap to eat the hit that isn't some stack-based mechanic forcing you to not do so. Though the question is then why wouldn't you have used those for that tankbuster before that applied said stacks (or just swap to make the other tank take them if they're not a true buster, etc.) but eh.

Either way the move is still pretty amazing, Rampart becomes in INSANE cooldown when buffed by Intervention, allowing a target to shrug off a tank buster no problem while the entire party is going full force on damage. This ability got me very hyped.

If you have Rampart on when used, it's 20%, if you have Sentinel, it's 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom