• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Amneisac

Mine wasn't in an e-mail, as soon as I registered the FFXIII serial number on the web site it took me to a page with the 20 digit FFXIV code. Then I just re-applied for the beta and entered that code.

jsrv

Is the code for both the FF14 item and chance for the PS3 beta participation, or just one or the other? (Ie. if you send your application, does it invalidate the serial # for redeeming for the promo digital item?)

Xux

jsrv said:
Is the code for both the FF14 item and chance for the PS3 beta participation, or just one or the other? (Ie. if you send your application, does it invalidate the serial # for redeeming for the promo digital item?)

No, it says on the application site to hold on to the code after applying with it to use for the item when the game comes out.

thefil

Well, this sucks. I can't log into the SE members page for some reason. It seems to successfully log in, then fronts me back to the front page without being logged in.

LowParry

As for which class I'll take, that's still a TBD. Although since my WoW days, I was melee dps. I think I'll switch to a caster.

desu

Classic_Gs said:
4423055966_00379a65b6_m.jpg

4422289757_7dfec9ec0b_m.jpg

Sold! (as if I wasn't already, but this looks great!)

Looks awesome, hype just went up another time.

never mind: just registered my ff13 and got the ff14 beta invite code
finished my registration how long does it take until i get an invite? <:

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The hell, apparently my code is invalid?

edit: Whooops, was putting it in wrong, damn you copy and paste!

maniac-kun said:
remove all spaces and add the last 4 letters theres a leading space too i guess <:

Yeah, lucky I'm black, you can't see me blush.

Caffer

Neo Member
i think ppl from europe receive the code in the mail and ppl from US get the code directly from the site...am i right?

Jbird34

maniac-kun said:
never mind: just registered my ff13 and got the ff14 beta invite code
finished my registration how long does it take until i get an invite? <:

It's not an automatic in to the Beta, its just a chance to register for the PS3 portion of the beta. Currently its the only way to register for the PS3 beta.

Registered my email a few times now, on to the stage:

Thank you! Please check you e-mail and follow the instructions we sent you to complete the registration process.

and I haven't received any other email from the EU site to continue the registration :lol

Salaadin

Figured this was worth mentioning for those with issues typing in their codes. The code font example they provide on the registration site did not match the actual font on my card. The "1" was different and the "O" and "zero" werent correct either. I kept typing in my code with an "O" because that matched their example and it was invalid. I changed it to a zero and it went thru.

Models look very XI and for that I am glad. I never liked the cartoony WoW look but I put up with it for the sake of the game. I am sure that the Artifact (or whatever) gear will look downright amazing. RDM AF2 was one of the big reasons I loved the class so much.

Right now on the Physical side of things I'm thinking either Marauder or Lancer. I played a Rogue for 5 years in WoW and before that 30 odd levels of THF in XI, I think I may be done with that particular role unless Pugilist amazes me. I am getting a big flashback to Vanilla WoW and its incredible Rogue overpopulation (which strangely enough has almost vanished in recent years). It is fun becoming a diamond amongst 10,000 tons of dirt though :p. Marauder should play out like SAM/DRK, which is fine by me. Lancer I'm a bit more wary about given the proverbial shaft that DRG were given for so long in XI.

Not really sure what's up with the total lack of info on the Magical side of XIV. I imagine if we're going for balance we still have 4 classes in this category yet to be unveiled. The little jab at Bards in the last part of that trailer summary a few pages back makes me far too hopeful though. I see a lot of Support roles coming through from what I originally thought was the Profession side of the world, so hopefully XIV pulls through in that category. One of the things I hate about WoW is the absolute insistence on the Trinity. The game has three classes broken down 10 ways. DNC and BRD were so fun to play in XI.

Edit: More info? I know some of you in Japan frown on Google Translate, but in this case I think it is slightly more helpful than usual:
Famitsu Article Google Translate

The registration process can take up to 6 hours to actually complete and most, if not all, of that time is spent waiting for the two different confirmation emails at two different times. Also, make sure to save the code you are given once your registration of your FFXIII game is confirmed as going through and the points are added to your membership.

Anubis

Chriswok said:
Registered my email a few times now, on to the stage:

and I haven't received any other email from the EU site to continue the registration :lol

I have exactly the same problem.

Jinko

One of the things I hate about WoW is the absolute insistence on the Trinity

That may be the case but at least no classes get left out and they all play important rolls in a party.

One problems I had with FF11 was that many jobs where shuned, especially later in the games life, nobody wanted to party with blm because of colibri, rdm where always favoured over a whm, nobody wanted to play with thf's either.

Given the amount of time and effort it took to level to 75 to find out that nobody wanted to merit or play with you was the biggest load of crap I have seen in an MMO.

Jinko said:
That may be the case but at least no classes get left out and they all play important rolls in a party.

One problems I had with FF11 was that many jobs where shuned, especially later in the games life, nobody wanted to party with blm because of colibri, rdm where always favoured over a whm, nobody wanted to play with thf's either.

Given the amount of time and effect it took to level to 75 to find out that nobody wanted to merit or play with you was the biggest load of crap I have seen in an MMO.

The Trinity is easy enough to balance. XI was just poorly balanced at certain times for certain classes.

Jinko

Thats kind of my point, as brd, cor and dancer's don't fit into those 3 rolls, so that means someone will lose there spot, obviously what with the average party being up to 8 people now perhaps that will change.

But I get the feeling people will just go for more DPS so they can XP(SP?) faster.

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
i hope there are more classes than this :(

There are, No one said anything about the cooking class, botanist, or the weaver. Whats cool is that even the item making professions actually add something to battle.

Im sure gladiator will be the most popular...but we havent seen what class 2h sword makes you, and there was a character with a 2h sword in the trailer.

jiggle

the hume in some of those pictures actually look pretty decent
almost makes me want to play as one again, instead of taru or mithra

and then i see these
SolidSnakex said:

yuck
they look horrible when fully lit

back to to the original plan for me

Kyoufu

Anyone else that can't login to the FFXIV beta sign up page? I'm trying to enter my SE member login info but it won't work :x

Teknoman

Caffer said:
i think ppl from europe receive the code in the mail and ppl from US get the code directly from the site...am i right?

I just registered my XIII PS3 version (NA) and got it from the site. You can also check your code if you go to FFXIII features section of the Members site.

Kyoufu said:
Anyone else that can't login to the FFXIV beta sign up page? I'm trying to enter my SE member login info but it won't work :x

Sign up for a Square Enix ID, link your members account to the ID, use your ID password and name to sign up for the beta.

The Square Enix ID is used to sign into/up for everything now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If I already registered for the PC Version awhile ago and I want to get the special item from my FFXIII copy, can I enter the code without invalidating my beta signup?

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
Well, that's probably good for my chances, hahah.

Same here.

Ferrio said:
I just hope the game offers more skills and ones that aren't on five minute+ cooldowns.

Looking at all the different fighting stances, and the fact that they want combat to be alot faster paced (which seems the case with all FF games these days) i'm sure there will be alot of skills. I mean if crafting skills even aid in fights and they want you to constantly be on the move, they'll have to have small timers. Unless its a super limit break attack or something.

Trojita said:
If I already registered for the PC Version awhile ago and I want to get the special item from my FFXIII copy, can I enter the code without invalidating my beta signup?

If you already got the special XIV code back from registering your FF XIII, just hold onto it till release. The special item code is used for when you sign up for retail.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Rentahamster said:
Well, that's probably good for my chances, hahah.

I was thinking the same thing too, but they said Alpha so I don't know if that goes for the beta as well.

thefil

Kyoufu said:

I am having problems too. I can't log into Square Enix members, even with a new account I just made.

Teknoman

I bet the botanist is going to work as some sort of melee healer/buff/debuffer. Its got an axe, yet messes with plants...so im guessing poisons, herbs, sleeping powders, etc. And you know what would be nice?

/pose. I know FFXI is getting job specific emotes later, but XIV should start off with every class type having a specific "victory" animation.

Also the Lalafell actually dont look that bad in action.

soco

Kandinsky said:
Man how many times are you guys gonna ask the same questions??!, please read the last 2 pages >_>

if they didn't read the last few pages, do you think they're going to read this? ;)

Teknoman

Either S-E is waiting till the last minute to send out the second wave of invites (from the game sites) or we arent getting anything till on/after the 11th.

Teknoman said:
I bet the botanist is going to work as some sort of melee healer/buff/debuffer. Its got an axe, yet messes with plants...so im guessing poisons, herbs, sleeping powders, etc. And you know what would be nice?

/pose. I know FFXI is getting job specific emotes later, but XIV should start off with every class type having a specific "victory" animation.

Also the Lalafell actually dont look that bad in action.

In action?

Know of a place with some decent vids?

Teknoman

TheChillyAcademic said:
In action?

Know of a place with some decent vids?

Well by in action, I mean the fighting stances and actions show in the recent images posted. Probably wont see any videos till tomorrow/later this week. I know someone will leak.

Teknoman said:
Well by in action, I mean the fighting stances and actions show in the recent images posted. Probably wont see any videos till tomorrow/later this week. I know someone will leak.

I was gonna say, where the hell did you see a Lalafell in action >.< lol

Teknoman

TheChillyAcademic said:
I was gonna say, where the hell did you see a Lalafell in action >.< lol

I wish. I mean there were those emote videos awhile back, but thats about it. Well that and if you only pay attention to them in the TGS 09 trailer.

Wonder if the normal quest NPCs will have voice acting as well, or just major story mission characters. Would be nice if each race had its own set of selectable voice actors, so your character would have a voice in cutscenes, but that might be a little too advanced.

EDIT: The hound in the lancer image really drives home the point that the monsters will be really vicious looking this time around. Just waiting to see what Mandragoras will look like since they seem to pop up as much as moogles, cactuars, bombs, tonberries, and Malboros these days.

Teknoman said:
I wish. I mean there were those emote videos awhile back, but thats about it. Well that and if you only pay attention to them in the TGS 09 trailer.

Wonder if the normal quest NPCs will have voice acting as well, or just major story mission characters. Would be nice if each race had its own set of selectable voice actors, so your character would have a voice in cutscenes, but that might be a little too advanced.

I cant imagine there would be any more then picking the usual "grunt and groan" voice for your character. I didn't think you planned on playing Lalafell anyway?

Top Bottom