• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Teknoman

TheChillyAcademic said:
I cant imagine there would be any more then picking the usual "grunt and groan" voice for your character. I didn't think you planned on playing Lalafell anyway?

Nope, Hyur(?) (Hume). Just saying since lots of people who were tarus were kinda taken aback when the lalafell were shown.

Jinko

I wouldn't say that, I just think a lot of people were surprised by the changes in height and such, the latest pics have completely sold me on them.

gillty

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Well they aren't nearly as cute =/
lalafell looks too much like a real little person. =/
20jij5v.png

Jinko said:
Thats kind of my point, as brd, cor and dancer's don't fit into those 3 rolls, so that means someone will lose there spot, obviously what with the average party being up to 8 people now perhaps that will change.

But I get the feeling people will just go for more DPS so they can XP(SP?) faster.
Definitely, but I don't believe the Trinity is the best (or even a decent) solution to balancing problems. XI was a first crack at a new genre, and I'm not sure they would have managed balance with the classic 3 (look at BLM).

Make support equivalent in overall benefit, if not DPS, to a party and problem solved. How to get there though... :p

I think some of the problems with classes like BRD was the WHM sub. Instead of "Hey, buffs!", it was "WHM heal pls".

zlatko

Banned
I still have the Japanese item and beta code to give away now for 800 Microsoft points or 1 month of Xbox live code.

Private message me if you want to take that deal. :)

Shouta

I'll translate the full Famitsu article sometime this weekend or maybe even tonight with a break down of the skills and stuff that was listed.

Shouta said:
I'll translate the full Famitsu article sometime this weekend or maybe even tonight with a break down of the skills and stuff that was listed.

I thought one was coming from this thread. Dunno though.

Edit: Some things translated throughout the thread. Namely the spells of the new Magic class. Page 8-9. Also some theories/explanation of the Element Wheel.

Eorzeapedia said:
Drain
Absorbs HP of enemies within range.

Gravity (not sure about this one)
Slows down enemy movement by increasing their weight.

Sacrifice
Sacrifices his own HP to transfer them to his allies.

Syphon Magic
Absorbs MP from defeated enemies.

Absorb-ACC (used FFXI terms for reference)
Absorbs accuracy from an enemy.

Courtesy of Blood
The heart's blood is poured, and an incantation is chanted. HP is reduced, magic attack power is raised.

Blacksmith:
Eorzeapedia said:
Iron Ingot
The lump of iron that is smelted and cast. Material: Iron Ore.

Sword Guard
Sword Guard made of metal. Material: Iron Ingot.

Spatha
Old style bronze Cavarly blade. Materials: Spatha Blade, Sword Grip, Sword Guard, Pommel.

Pick
Bronze Pickaxe. Materials: Pick Head, Pick pole, Grip Strap.

Spiked Labrys
An assault weapon. It's a remodeled Labrys [a Greek axe] used for combat. Materials: Labrys, Bronze Ingot.

Land (Gathering) Items:

Eorzeapedia said:
Copper ore
Ore containing Copper.

Silver ore
Ore containing Silver.

Saltpeter
Semi-transparent crystalline material. Used for dyes, gunpowder and glass.

Silica Sand
White quartz sand.

Little Worm
Small creatures that live in the soil.

Arrow Types:
Arrows.PNG

Linking this because it is quite long. Translations of all skills looks like.

zlatko

Banned
Want to give a good shotout to theMrCravens. Hooked me up with a 1 month 360 code for my FF14 beta codes from Japanese version.

Thanks again. :)

Valru said:
lalafell looks too much like a real little person. =/
20jij5v.png
I like the new one better, the noses look stupid in the old ones.
Also, at first glance the models/armour do look a little bland. But the more you look at them the more little details you can make out.

Shouta said:
Can't check it probably but it seems like it from what you posted. Guess I won't have to unless I spot a mistranslation.

The thread that I originally linked was supposedly getting a full translation, but I only saw the bits and pieces I linked. The one I linked at the bottom has a full, if not complete, translation of the abilities and what have you.

Salaadin said:
When I registered today, the FFXIV code appeared on my screen. I didnt receive an email from them containing it. I hit "Submit" to register FFXIII and the next screen was "blah blah, points have been added, heres your FFXIV beta code"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :(

Salz01

Am I understanding this right? With the code that came with the 13, we can enter it, and play the online beta? Or do we just sign up, and then later get emailed to play online?

Teknoman said:
Enter this:

[IM]http://i40.tinypic.com/4sik9h.jpg[/IMG]

Get this:

[IM]http://i39.tinypic.com/35lbzwn.jpg[/IMG]

Only for the initial shipment of FFXIII.

I entered but didn't get that :(

edit: Ok...apparently entering the code in AGAIN got me it....:D

I wonder how many times code has appeared in the last 10 pages :lol

Better skills translations from the thread above:

Eorzeapedia said:
Gladiator:
剣の喝采 - ken no kassai - literally "applause of the sword" or something like Sword Cheer

Lancer:
鼓舞 - kobu - Inspiration
気合 - kiai - Yell (the term is used in martial arts) or Warcry
竜剣 - ryuuken - literally Dragon Sword/Blade, could be Lancet as mentioned (but used in FFXI as Spirit Surge)

足払い - ashibarai - Leg Sweep (used in FFXI)

Pugilist:
口笛 - kuchibue - Whistle
盗む - nusumu - Steal (used in FFXI)

貫手 - kante? - literally penetrate + hand, something like penetrating blow?
地烈斬 - chiretsuzan? - earth + violent/furious + cut/kill; could be something like Earth Crusher, appears to be an AoE weapon skill where you send a "sonic boom" along the earth's surface delivering a ranged earth type attack.

Marauder:
不屈の行軍 - fukutsu no kougun - Persistent/Fortuitous March, Fortitude March or whatever

丸太割り - maruta wari - Log Splitter? Wood Chopper?

Archer:
影縫い - kagenui - Shadow Stitch (enemy is bound by shooting its shadow)

羽羽矢 - babasa? - Wing(ed) or Feather(ed) Arrow/Shot?

Thaumaturge:
幽遠 - yuuen - literally "deep and remote", not sure what could be fashionable translation for this.

Sorcerer: (ソーサラー/sorcerer is given in the article)
血の儀礼 - chi no girei - lit. "courtesy/honor of blood", maybe something like Blood Honor
荊棘 - keikyoku - briar patch/thorn(s)

More translations (paragraphs about classes):
FFXIV Core Translation

Xux

Another mention of guncrafting. Lookin' forward to the strongly implied and cockteased gunner class but archer looks pretty cool, too.

Also like how the jobs have headquarters.

Salz01 said:
Am I understanding this right? With the code that came with the 13, we can enter it, and play the online beta? Or do we just sign up, and then later get emailed to play online?
You could look just a page back and get the answer. But no, you are not understanding right. You send in your code to get a new code, then you sign up for the beta using that code and then at some point in the future you may randomly be chosen to participate in some portion of the PS3 beta test. Which won't occur until after the PC beta test, which is after the PC Alpha Test, which hasn't started yet.

LowParry

Dreamwriter said:
You could look just a page back and get the answer. But no, you are not understanding right. You send in your code to get a new code, then you sign up for the beta using that code and then at some point in the future you may randomly be chosen to participate in some portion of the PS3 beta test. Which won't occur until after the PC beta test, which is after the PC Alpha Test, which hasn't started yet.

So in other words, you'll randomly know in the near or far future. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Love the character models, looks really nice. Just missing some female Galkas or whatever they call them now (should have male/female for every race).

Sora_N

Anyone know if it's possible that people who didn't buy FFXIII will be able to get into Beta in the future? I'm guessing not since you can't even apply without.

Sucks that I might have to return my NA copy (already have the JP one).

Nakazato

Pai Pai Master said:
Could be any time now if it's launching worldwide from a set time for Japan...but if it's separate for each region I'd guess mid-day tomorrow.
pai pai if you got in you got to drop the info XD

careksims

Sora_N said:
Anyone know if it's possible that people who didn't buy FFXIII will be able to get into Beta in the future? I'm guessing not since you can't even apply without.

Sucks that I might have to return my NA copy (already have the JP one).

Why not apply for the PC version. That's still going on right?

Top Bottom