• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

But I am really confused how this would work for Scholar. People are saying Scholar will be a HoT and support job. But your job is completely based on your class... and Arcanist has like no healing. Also I assume your main stat would be Intellect as Arcanist and Summoner. But it would be Mind for Scholar. So when you're leveling Arcanist, where do you put your bonus attributes?
In this case, into INT if you planned to be Summoner mostly or into MND if you planned to be SCH mostly. I can assure you that 30 points of a stat (less than 10% of level 50 primary stat values) is not going to make or break your ability to play one job or the other. Alternately, put 15 into each. The 30 point distribution would be a way for you to specialize in one job while still being effective in the other.

And are they going to properly balance your INT/MND as you level (outside of the bonus points)? That would be bad wouldn't it? If it's balanced evenly, then mathematically you will always be worse damage than THM and worse healing than CNJ?
It's quite possible, but remains to be seen. For what it's worth, though, at low levels CNJ healing is really strong. Like, way stronger than it needs to be for clearing content. I tanked level 32 dungeon final boss without full armor just for shits'n'giggles and our WHM was still sitting on tons of MP the entire time.

And say I got level 50 Arcanist (with Summoner job equipped). Now I'm like, "I want to do some healing,", and then I switch to Scholar... but jobs don't really have levels. It's all based on the class. So I would just be a level 50 Scholar with absolutely no healing experience?
Well, yes and no. Since jobs require you to do quests to unlock them and then more quests to unlock their skills, you'd either be a level 50 Scholar without your skills unlocked (and as such basically just a gimped Arcanist) or you'd be a level 50 Scholar with probably at least some token healing experienced gained by doing your Scholar job quests.

Or say I want to be a Scholar so I level Arcanist to 30. So I spend more than half my levels as a damage class and then suddenly it's like, "Hey you're a healer! Good luck!"
All I can say is... this is a game where the entire game is based around the idea of switching between roles to best suit the situation so you better just get used to it.

StMeph

Crafting seems to be less for selling to other players in direct profit, but more for turning stuff in for GC badges and leves. That's not to say there aren't profitable crafts or trades, but I think the primary motivation for making things will be for turn-ins.

Quests will generally provide gear close to level, or a little bit behind, and dungeon loot tends to be as good as, or better, than HQs. So having to look for gear from the market doesn't seem to apply until leveling a 2nd class.

Allard

Crafting seems to be less for selling to other players in direct profit, but more for turning stuff in for GC badges and leves. That's not to say there aren't profitable crafts or trades, but I think the primary motivation for making things will be for turn-ins.

Quests will generally provide gear close to level, or a little bit behind, and dungeon loot tends to be as good as, or better, than HQs. So having to look for gear from the market doesn't seem to apply until leveling a 2nd class.

In general that is how a lot of games do it, the main issue is due to it being a beta and the lack of longevity with the playing time, people are less inclined to spend time working on a market niche. The Materia system will greatly help crafted equipment excel beyond the normal dungeon gear but their isn't enough items or a market for it yet due to the temp nature of beta and too few higher lvl players, especially in crafts. Normal equip will predominantly be non existent or extremely cheap whereas crafters will work more on creating stuff using materia at specific level ranges. For instance I have played Toto-rak like 7 times and I have only gotten 1 single item for my Marauder (awesome item mind you, th lvl 23 axe) so the idea that I can fill some of my armor gaps buying stuff on the Market when it comes time for that dungeon upgrade is a huge boon for me down the line, especially as a tank which greatly depends on my gear to keep the party alive.

But yeah starting out though, you probably won't be buying too much on the market, mostly because you likely won't have enough gil to buy stuff in the established market till much higher lvl.

Kard8p3

That's only on PS3 (I've played both on PC and PS3). Other characters often have very jerky movement. Like it's lower frame rate or something. It's not an issue on PC.

Yep! That's exactly how they move! I definitely would like to try this out on PC, but I'm not complaining about being in the beta, it is fun :)

Tamanon

Banned
This blows, I received my beta registration code today, but when I go to enter it in on their site, it tells me the code has already been used. And I can't seem to find any support email address to send a question about it to.

Well, worked my way backwards on their sites and found a contact section, so we'll see what happens.

Jinko

In this case, into INT if you planned to be Summoner mostly or into MND if you planned to be SCH mostly. I can assure you that 30 points of a stat (less than 10% of level 50 primary stat values) is not going to make or break your ability to play one job or the other. Alternately, put 15 into each. The 30 point distribution would be a way for you to specialize in one job while still being effective in the other.

It may not work like that though, as far as I know Conjurer damage spells are boosted by mind and not int.

So I expect the same to be true for Arcanist. (ie focusing on one major stat)

omlet

It may not work like that though, as far as I know Conjurer damage spells are boosted by mind and not int.

So I expect the same to be true for Arcanist. (ie focusing on one major stat)

I haven't tested CNJ much so I'm not sure but... if that's true then what's the point of Cleric Stance? Isn't it supposed to be CNJ's damage dealing stance? It swaps your INT and MND values (I confirmed this last weekend--the swap is reflected on your character screen stats) which implies INT is a magic damage stat... which coincidentally lines up with what SE has stated regarding what the different stats do--that being INT increases all attack magic power, not MND.

Jinko

I haven't tested CNJ much so I'm not sure but... if that's true then what's the point of Cleric Stance? Isn't it supposed to be CNJ's damage dealing stance? It swaps your INT and MND values (I confirmed this last weekend--the swap is reflected on your character screen stats) which implies INT is a magic damage stat... which coincidentally lines up with what SE has stated regarding what the different stats do--that being INT increases all attack magic power, not MND.

So it does, I didn't even notice this, can't say I have been using cleric stance.

Maybe one of the Arcanist jobs will have access to Cleric Stance then :S

omlet

I was testing Cleric Stance out on THM last weekend and its effects were pretty minimal, at least as a subclassed ability. This makes sense because THM's INT is higher than its MND so once you swap those stats the 10% damage buff really was just bringing my damage back up to what it was without the skill active so it's not a very good skill for THM to be using.

I suppose you could possibly pump MND stat via gear as THM and then use Cleric Stance to potentially reach a point where that 10% damage (after swapping INT and MND) takes you past what simply stacking INT would provide, but I don't know enough about the spell damage math to know where that point is, if it exists. Even if it did you'd be really gimping your backup healing abilities which is one of the main reasons to even use THM over BLM in the first place and an equally geared BLM would probably still do more damage than some kind of weird MND-geared THM using Cleric Stance.

Jijidasu

Bad news everyone.

Yoshida posted his reasoning behind why Lightning (and doubtlessly other FF serifs will be bukkakked onto the game) have appeared.

In brief, he mentions that this is an 'experiment' basically wherein he wants to see if it's possible to really push other characters from other games into one world. (Though, I think they did this already with Dissidia and it was fine because it wasn't a numbered title).

Also, he plans to "protect" the rights of notions set in place in other games, ie: Will not revive dead characters, won't implement stories for characters whose tale has finished etc. He gave an example of Red XIII, basically his kind weren't a common sight in the FFVII world and thus to have a copious amount of them running about in Eorzea would effectively underhand the lore of FFVII, so it's not going to happen. He promises to be careful with how he introduces fan service.

I still think it's fucking it up, he's always proclaimed to be a huge fan of Final Fantasy but there's such a thing as too much. I posted later in the thread that previous (old FFXIV) players bought the game not for fan service but in order to experience a unique story with unique characters.

Azrael

On Yoshi P's blog today =) .

969522_10151763601705871_1679425383_n.jpg

Completed the Sashtasha dungeon today and I'm really loving the game now. I'm afraid I'm going to burn myself out on it before the actual release, but at the same time I can't stop playing it either.

Tamanon

Banned
Bad news everyone.

Yoshida posted his reasoning behind why Lightning (and doubtlessly other FF serifs will be bukkakked onto the game) have appeared.

In brief, he mentions that this is an 'experiment' basically wherein he wants to see if it's possible to really push other characters from other games into one world. (Though, I think they did this already with Dissidia and it was fine because it wasn't a numbered title).

Also, he plans to "protect" the rights of notions set in place in other games, ie: Will not revive dead characters, won't implement stories for characters whose tale has finished etc. He gave an example of Red XIII, basically his kind weren't a common sight in the FFVII world and thus to have a copious amount of them running about in Eorzea would effectively underhand the lore of FFVII, so it's not going to happen. He promises to be careful with how he introduces fan service.

I still think it's fucking it up, he's always proclaimed to be a huge fan of Final Fantasy but there's such a thing as too much. I posted later in the thread that previous (old FFXIV) players bought the game not for fan service but in order to experience a unique story with unique characters.

It's an odd experiment, considering the FF characters that pop up in Kingdom Hearts also. Including dead ones for that matter.

BLCKATK

Bad news everyone.

The part about this that could be a problem is making the story team focus on delivering this fanservice. In my opinion, the first thing they should do is keep making Eorzea expand and continuing to make the world interesting. Maybe after SEVERAL content patches where the story is advanced, plots are revealed and finished, then we could have this bonus stuff pop in. But from a story perspective (and hopefully a gameplay perspective), this would be bonus content.

That is my hope for this experiment. Will it go this way? Only time will tell.

Allard

Bad news everyone.

I'm a bit alone in this (and I am one of the few that did not like how 'fan service' Yoshida got with the overarching story) but I don't mind Yoshida's stance on this. If he can fit these characters into Eorzea in a reasonable and fun way that doesn't break the shroud of the world's character then I just see it as decent side content. Final Fantasy series are notorious for sidequests that bring old content into the game in a unique and new way. Gilgamesh is a prime example of this. He was a central antagonist that poppped up periodically in FFV but he became a 'staple' of the core part of Final Fantasy series as side content in future games and even a full blown summon with his own unique characteristics, those types of things have to start somewhere.

The Zodiac summons are another big part of this from FFXII. On top of the normal ones we had from FFT, we had final boss's from several old Final Fantasy games come back as summons to aid players in battle. Basically as long as the world can maintain its own identity and not let these side content break the complete immersion of the world, I see them as benefits and a true part of the legacy of Final Fantasy, but having said that I don't like the rehash of the warriors of light in such a blatant fashion as it takes a specific narrative from a previous final fantasy game and transposes it directly into the primary immersion of the world's story.

If Lighting's side quest doesn't break the immersion of her character and can somehow look semi fitting for the world, it will only aid. I don't on the other hand want this to be the only content and I worry over a game's identity when the world hasn't established itself well enough. I'd rather have things like Lightning content to show up in an expansion or two later after the world has established its own struggles properly and since we still haven't seen exactly where the story is taking us since they have been so fixed on keeping it secret till final release, this side content just ends up sticking out like a soar thumb.

omlet

Gimme link so I can go thumbs-up your post.

solaaire

Neo Member
Yep! That's exactly how they move! I definitely would like to try this out on PC, but I'm not complaining about being in the beta, it is fun :)

It seems like whenever there is a lot going on, enemy animations get cut back dramatically. It looks pretty cheap/comical at times, hopefully it gets improved!

Tamanon

Banned
So I got a PC code..but when I go to register it, it tells me it has already been registered?? What can I do about that?

I'd email support. My code didn't work, but someone gave me an old code they didn't use and that one worked.

I suspect a bad batch of codes was sent out.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there any way at all to make the text bigger on the PC version? I'm playing on my TV.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There is an option to increase the fontsize somewhere in the menus.
I've been through them menu and all I can find is font size for the chat window only...

Nakazato

... Good news everyone might be getting an apartment soon like with in the next 6 days I hope ill be back as soon as I have Internet. Hope m triple will be up to the task and it wont TLOU me

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
I've been through them menu and all I can find is font size for the chat window only...

You're right, I thought it would change every text displayed on the screen.

They plan to make the HUD scalable at launch, so I would assume changing the HUD will resize text as well.

But for now you have to deal with it I'm afraid.

gillty

Banned
I'm a bit alone in this (and I am one of the few that did not like how 'fan service' Yoshida got with the overarching story) but I don't mind Yoshida's stance on this. If he can fit these characters into Eorzea in a reasonable and fun way that doesn't break the shroud of the world's character then I just see it as decent side content. Final Fantasy series are notorious for sidequests that bring old content into the game in a unique and new way. Gilgamesh is a prime example of this. He was a central antagonist that poppped up periodically in FFV but he became a 'staple' of the core part of Final Fantasy series as side content in future games and even a full blown summon with his own unique characteristics, those types of things have to start somewhere.

The Zodiac summons are another big part of this from FFXII. On top of the normal ones we had from FFT, we had final boss's from several old Final Fantasy games come back as summons to aid players in battle. Basically as long as the world can maintain its own identity and not let these side content break the complete immersion of the world, I see them as benefits and a true part of the legacy of Final Fantasy, but having said that I don't like the rehash of the warriors of light in such a blatant fashion as it takes a specific narrative from a previous final fantasy game and transposes it directly into the primary immersion of the world's story.

If Lighting's side quest doesn't break the immersion of her character and can somehow look semi fitting for the world, it will only aid. I don't on the other hand want this to be the only content and I worry over a game's identity when the world hasn't established itself well enough. I'd rather have things like Lightning content to show up in an expansion or two later after the world has established its own struggles properly and since we still haven't seen exactly where the story is taking us since they have been so fixed on keeping it secret till final release, this side content just ends up sticking out like a soar thumb.
Couldn't have said it better myself. 👍

LowParry

Where's the Like button to press a million times. I 100% agree. If they can give us side quests that can take us back to older Final Fantasy worlds and face key characters or scenes, I'm all for it. I think they could fit great with not only side quests that "naturally" fit in the FFXIV world, but other side shows that can be accessed through Guildhests.

As long as she is a side quest and doesn't enter into the main scenario of FF XIV, I'll be ok with it.

I liked what he said about not breaking the world of the source game, too.. with the red XIII example. (reading reinheart's translation of Yoshi-P's post)

A well written and thoughtful post. Thank you.

Now where's my sidequest where I help Tidus and Yuna defeat Sin?

koji kabuto

Yesterday we were talking about a post here on gaf that explains how to run the game on higher resolution than 1080p.
Unfortunately i couldn't find that post, In case someone knows what i'm talking about please give me that post link.

Jinko

I have no problem with them bringing in content such as this.

969522_10151763601705871_1679425383_n.jpg

But think having major characters from other numbered titles is a bad idea, it just turns FFXIV into nothing more than a joke for me.

ace3skoot

so i am about 40 minutes in, and there some quests that i have completed the requirements for, the npc's have green ticks above their heads, but they won't let me complete the mission? i'm really confused and want my XP dammit :p

Jinko

so i am about 40 minutes in, and there some quests that i have completed the requirements for, the npc's have green ticks above their heads, but they won't let me complete the mission? i'm really confused and want my XP dammit :p

Read the quest text, some quests require you to be on a certain class or have certain items equipped to complete them.

Arcticfox

Some quests have optional rewards and you need to select which one you want before it will let you complete the quest.

Azrael

I'm going to reserve judgment with regard to introducing characters from other Final Fantasy games. If they do it in a way that feels natural, I'm okay with it. If it becomes blatant fan service like Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia, then no.

Zalasta

I really like the new crafting system, but getting shards is going to be a pain in the ass.

This is my biggest reason for wanting to keep my 1.0 character. I was originally going to start over, but I dislike how they changed from being able to get shards randomly during gathering to actual selection from the nodes. I have thousands of shards and crystals saved up on my old character, that could last me a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom