• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ala Alba

Crisis Core is a perfect example of what he is talking about. Turning Zack even more into some kind of golden god when in the original he died to two grunts with guns.

Retconning events has nothing to do with character personality, which I think Crisis Core did a good job with.

Retconning events has nothing to do with character personality, which I think Crisis Core did a good job with.

But...the post you original quoted was questioning "character integrity" between games, not the quality of character personality. That is what you were disagreeing with when you mentioned Crisis Core. I would still disagree with you that Crisis Core had good character personality though.

Ala Alba

But...the post you original quoted was questioning "character integrity" between games, not the quality of character personality. That is what you were disagreeing with when you mentioned Crisis Core. I would still disagree with you that Crisis Core had good character personality though.

I don't consider making Zack more of an "awesome role-model hero" going against his original character, but I don't care enough about this topic to argue the point. Agree to disagree?

Caerith

I didn't play Crisis Core, but even if it got the characters right, it's still just one counterexample to S-E screwing characters up everywhere else. If you asked a hundred people to describe Cloud's personality, ninety-nine of the responses would be "brooding loner."

Please be excited for Terra Branford showing up in Eorzea (as interpreted by someone who only knows her as a character from Dissidia).

I don't consider making Zack more of an "awesome role-model hero" going against his original character, but I don't care enough about this topic to argue the point. Agree to disagree?

I will agree to disagree about the characters in Crisis core being good. Not that Crisis Core was a good example of character integrity across games.

Making Zack into the super badass role model in every post FF7 game has killed a bunch of the original game for me, since it directly takes away from what I thought was character development and characterizations. Original Zack was a grunt who was killed off screen and it showed how broken Cloud's mind was that that was who it chose to copy. Not some shining example that made sense for him to want to be. Nearly everything after FF7 has served to take away from Cloud, and give to Zack.

Anyway, gone off on too much of a tangent now so moving on.

I'd feel more confident about Final Fantasy incest if S-E had shown themselves capable of maintaining character integrity. I mean, look at Final Fantasy VII (Cloud has a personality, Aeris is funny) and then look at the FF7 Expanded Universe (Cloud has one emotion: moping, Aeris is a personality-less token), or look at FFXIII (Lightning doesn't have time for your shit) and then look at FFXIII-3 (Lightning is too busy playing dress-up to save the world).

The worst thing is the fans eat this shit up.

Let's be a little more forgiving here. Cloud mopes post-FFVII because he saved the world, but nothing really changed or improved besides the world not being about to be destroyed by Meteor, and oh by the way Aeris died while he was busy having a personality crisis. As for Aeris. she's dead. How much personality can a dead person have? She appears only in flashback sequences!

I don't really have a lot of issues with Compilation of FFVII other than Dirge of Cerberus, that one game starring Vincent who was otherwise an optional skippable side character, being genuinely a bad game. The other stuff was there if you cared to experience it and it was at best tangential to the original game. And let's face it, the fight scenes in Advent Children were pretty awesome in a brainless Dragonball Z kind of way.

Riposte

I thought Amazon didn't charge for pre-orders until they shipped? It immediately took the money out of my gift card balance.

Caerith

I thought Amazon didn't charge for pre-orders until they shipped? It immediately took the money out of my gift card balance.
They still haven't charged me for Dragon's Crown (which I pre-ordered years ago), and that comes out before FFXIV. Maybe they handle gift cards differently?

dwix

Just wanted to get some clarification on the Ultros FC... Will we be allowing non-GAFers? Got some of my friends playing the beta and they ended up pre-ordering.

Just wanted to get some clarification on the Ultros FC... Will we be allowing non-GAFers? Got some of my friends playing the beta and they ended up pre-ordering.

Absolutely:

Friends and family are always welcome but must be vouched for by a member. In addition, we will be recruiting members outside of GAF as we progress through the game to ensure that our Free Company thrives.

WolvenOne

So, if I'm reading this, and that Japanese language Square Enix e-mail correctly, the next beta test starts, tomorrow, (the tenth,) and goes to next Monday?

I only ask because, well, Google translate only makes things so clear. I'm not entirely certain why they aren't sending me the english language e-mails.

Xux

So, if I'm reading this, and that Japanese language Square Enix e-mail correctly, the next beta test starts, tomorrow, (the tenth,) and goes to next Monday?

I only ask because, well, Google translate only makes things so clear. I'm not entirely certain why they aren't sending me the english language e-mails.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/forum.php

Under where it says: "Please Read Before the Beta Test":
Upcoming Beta Test Schedule: Jul. 10th 2:00 a.m. to Jul. 15th 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / Jul. 10th 9:00 to Jul. 15th 9:00 (GMT)
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/77221-Beta-Test-Phase-3-Schedule-(07-08-2013)

frequency

So if you have the PC version from before (version 1 or whatever we call it now), and you buy a PS3 copy of the game and apply that to your existing account, do you still get a free month?

A couple of questions:

When the game launches, will we be able to have multiple characters with the exact same name on different servers? e.g. Bob Smith on Goblin, Bob Smith on Leviathan, etc.

If the answer to the above question is "no", can we delete our version 1.0 character now during the beta, so that the name will be available for use when ARR launches? I want to start brand new with ARR, but I want to use my version 1.0 character's name.

Also, I know that you can save the appearance of a character that you create for future use, but can you save the appearance of a character that already exists if you didn't save the appearance during character creation? Just like my 1.0 character's name, I also want to use his appearance on my new ARR character.

creid

Finally got around to checking the NPC who has all your extra items from 1.0, and holy shit did I have a lot of crafting items sitting around. Going to have to get crafting pretty quickly at launch to clear it up.

Allard

A couple of questions:

When the game launches, will we be able to have multiple characters with the exact same name on different servers? e.g. Bob Smith on Goblin, Bob Smith on Leviathan, etc.

If the answer to the above question is "no", can we delete our version 1.0 character now during the beta, so that the name will be available for use when ARR launches? I want to start brand new with ARR, but I want to use my version 1.0 character's name.

Also, I know that you can save the appearance of a character that you create for future use, but can you save the appearance of a character that already exists if you didn't save the appearance during character creation? Just like my 1.0 character's name, I also want to use his appearance on my new ARR character.

Character name is defined by the server, you can have the same name on two separate servers even if its all on the same account. I think the old appearance template will be saved when it comes time to recreate. Its one of the things they are testing this cycle (My character looks almost identical to how he looked in 1.0 right now and once you complete work on creating your character again for the final release, you will be able to save that template for future use on another character)

Resilient

Everything I've found on the net seems to contradict each other.

If I jumped into the Beta during Phase 3 (now) and made a character, will this character be wiped come start of the Phase 4 next week?

Allard

Everything I've found on the net seems to contradict each other.

If I jumped into the Beta during Phase 3 (now) and made a character, will this character be wiped come start of the Phase 4 next week?

It will be wiped, phase 4 is the stage you can keep your characters progress (But they did say they have the obligation to change that stance if given a particularly bad bug/exploit is found during that phase, and PvP points and stats will not carry over into release as well). Also we don't know when exactly phase 4 will start fyi :p and you will need to download a new client (final launch candidate) for phase 4 it sounds like.

Resilient

Yes, it will. It says so in the official beta document:

It will be wiped, phase 4 is the stage you can keep your characters progress (But they did say they have the obligation to change that stance if given a particularly bad bug/exploit is found during that phase, and PvP points and stats will not carry over into release as well). Also we don't know when exactly phase 4 will start fyi :p and you will need to download a new client (final launch candidate) for phase 4 it sounds like.

Thanks for that guys. I'm liking what I've played so far. I will probably sub, this being my first MMO sub. Mainly because it's FF. And I want to play as Arcanist...

Ravidrath

I would expect Phase 4 more in, like... early August.

They've said that Phase 4 will end like 2-3 days before Early Access starts, and last about a week. And Early Access sounds like it's only about 5 days.

So my guess is that Phase 4 starts August 12th and ends on the 19th.

ZiZ

They've said that Phase 4 will end like 2-3 days before Early Access starts, and last about a week. And Early Access sounds like it's only about 5 days.

aren't they going to test housing and pvp in phase 4? one week doesn't seem long enough.

Kard8p3

Just spent 50~ minutes playing for the first time :)

I made a feline lancer, and I'm not sure what to think, I kind of like it, the quests aren't too bad, and the hunting log is a neat thing. I'm not sure if it's like this on the PC, on the PS3, watching anything move around in the distance seems kind of..idk, bad? I'm not sure how to describe it. I definitely need to sink more time into this before I decide if I will get it on release.

Jijidasu

Might be lag if you're seeing spikes of no movement following by everything jumping about. There's been another huge influx in new testers just today and I imagine they're going to let more in until the servers actually crash just to see how far it'll go.

I had the same problem earlier when I logged in to test some new filter I'm working on for sweetfx.

I'm hedging my bets on some time between the 2nd and 12th. This gives them nearly 3 weeks from the conclusion of phase 3 to resolve any issues or make any changes, and they have likely already been making adjustments in a separate build throughout testing. I think if phase 4 ends on the 19th, they wouldn't have any time to make any adjustments. I think they would want at least a week just to be safe.

frequency

Just spent 50~ minutes playing for the first time :)

I made a feline lancer, and I'm not sure what to think, I kind of like it, the quests aren't too bad, and the hunting log is a neat thing. I'm not sure if it's like this on the PC, on the PS3, watching anything move around in the distance seems kind of..idk, bad? I'm not sure how to describe it. I definitely need to sink more time into this before I decide if I will get it on release.

That's only on PS3 (I've played both on PC and PS3). Other characters often have very jerky movement. Like it's lower frame rate or something. It's not an issue on PC.

I'm sure this has been clarified at some point but I can't find it.

Do legacy players get all their original CE items and new CE items on any new characters they create on any server? Or does this only apply to the Legacy characters I already have from 1.0 that would be stuck on Sargatanas?

I'm sure this has been clarified at some point but I can't find it.

Do legacy players get all their original CE items and new CE items on any new characters they create on any server? Or does this only apply to the Legacy characters I already have from 1.0 that would be stuck on Sargatanas?

Any owners of the original CE will get both the original and the new CE items with the exception of the pre-order items (Cait Sith doll minion and Moogle cap) on any created characters.

frequency

I was thinking about Arcanist and Summoner/Scholar.

I think some hacking around the beta files, people found some Arcanist abilities and Summoner abilities. Arcanist seems to be a DoT based and pet damage class. That goes right into Summoner just fine I guess.

But I am really confused how this would work for Scholar. People are saying Scholar will be a HoT and support job. But your job is completely based on your class... and Arcanist has like no healing. Also I assume your main stat would be Intellect as Arcanist and Summoner. But it would be Mind for Scholar. So when you're leveling Arcanist, where do you put your bonus attributes?

And are they going to properly balance your INT/MND as you level (outside of the bonus points)? That would be bad wouldn't it? If it's balanced evenly, then mathematically you will always be worse damage than THM and worse healing than CNJ?

And say I got level 50 Arcanist (with Summoner job equipped). Now I'm like, "I want to do some healing,", and then I switch to Scholar... but jobs don't really have levels. It's all based on the class. So I would just be a level 50 Scholar with absolutely no healing experience?

Or say I want to be a Scholar so I level Arcanist to 30. So I spend more than half my levels as a damage class and then suddenly it's like, "Hey you're a healer! Good luck!"

I just can't think of any way that Arcanist can have 2 jobs with completely different roles working in this current class/job system. And it's really really really bothering me. I want to be HoT-based healer but I just don't really see how this could work.

And we're like a month from release and we have almost no official information about Arcanist/Summoner/Scholar. And they're not testing it in beta. It's really really really concerning.

Azrael

I really like the new crafting system, but getting shards is going to be a pain in the ass. I can't level Armorer because every synth requires ice shards, and I've used them all up. None for sale in the market either. Crafting leves no longer give free crafting materials, so the only way to level a craft is getting the mats.

elyetis

Crafting leves no longer give free crafting materials, so the only way to level a craft is getting the mats.
Wait.. what ? didn't try crafting during beta because it's something where wipe bother me even more than pexing, but you just made me a very sad panda. :'(

Being able to lvl up crafting for free through leve was one of the best thing with the v1, no doubt there is to be a fine balance so that gathering, mining, etc... stay important, but I really don't want to see crafting to be something for rich to get even more rich like it is in some mmo. ( like ff11 IMHO )

Wait.. what ? didn't try crafting during beta because it's something where wipe bother me even more than pexing, but you just made me a very sad panda. :'(

Being able to lvl up crafting for free through leve was one of the best thing with the v1, no doubt there is to be a fine balance so that gathering, mining, etc... stay important, but I really don't want to see crafting to be something for rich to get even more rich like it is in some mmo. ( like ff11 IMHO )

materials are cheap from the shop vendor or you can gather them yourself.

The rewards you get from crafting leves are materials and exp..

Now people will actually have an opportunity to sell gathered materials since people can't level for free anymore.

I really like the new crafting system, but getting shards is going to be a pain in the ass. I can't level Armorer because every synth requires ice shards, and I've used them all up. None for sale in the market either. Crafting leves no longer give free crafting materials, so the only way to level a craft is getting the mats.

I have a feeling shards will be my primary source of income in A Realm Reborn. I used to make tons of money from crafting gear, tools, and equipment, but a lot of that is obtained for free now or cheap from vendors.

elyetis

Now people will actually have an opportunity to sell gathered materials since people can't level for free anymore.
To me there does can be a balance between the two. If items you can craft before lvl50 are good enough to sell, then crafter will still need those ingredients if they want to make gils by crafting them outside of leves ( where you wouldn't keep what you crafted ).

Not saying it will be as bad as ffxi ( or bad at all ), but I still have nightmares ( hyperbol ) of how bad it was gils wise to lvlup a craft because at some lvl there wasn't interesting items you could sell to player to covers materials cost, or not enough demands, or you simply couldn't compete with higher level crafter prices because of the HQ system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom