• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Patch 3.1: "As Goes Light So Goes Darkness" trailer up, out Nov 10.

Always impressed with the trailers for this game but still don't want to subscribe. Well maybe if the game itself was free I would but to need a subscription and have to pay for the disc seems crazy to me.

ded gaem

seriously tho they messed up getting new content out and finally doing so during the fall rush is terrible timing. unsubbed and i don't know when i'll be back at this rate.

Shamdeo

stoneskin buff

blehq5jei.gif

Famassu

Always impressed with the trailers for this game but still don't want to subscribe. Well maybe if the game itself was free I would but to need a subscription and have to pay for the disc seems crazy to me.
Vanilla FFXIV ARR has, at times, been sold for something like 10€ and that gets you 1 month of gametime. If you're interested, just jump in, it's not that big of a money investment nowadays. Time sink, yes, but complaining about the price of the initial investment is a bit silly

It's about location, location, location - there are more and less desirable locations in the residential districts, if someone isn't using their better place, it should be available for someone else. This game's residential districts were designed to be a limited resource, with prices that fluctuate based on demand, making housing one of the most expensive things you can spend money on. Adding more neighborhood instances would remove that as a limited resource.

Also, doing it this way also makes them feel more like little villages - you get used to how your neighborhood looks and can even recognize your neighbors.

Limited in the sense of just not wanting to create more instances in order to lower costs? Housing in this game is such a step back even from games over ten years ago, and that's just astounding. And with them now saying "Either get on or get out", I think it may be time to just sell it and just not bother in general.

Ferr986

Looks cool and I kind of want to try the island stuff. But honestly, what they want to do with houses (removing them after 45 days of unsub) bothers me too much that I think I'll never come back at this point. What a way of not giving a fuck about the real problem with it.

RPGCrazied

Vanilla FFXIV ARR has, at times, been sold for something like 10€ and that gets you 1 month of gametime. If you're interested, just jump in, it's not that big of a money investment nowadays. Time sink, yes, but complaining about the price of the initial investment is a bit silly

The main game is loaded with content. I've played for months, and still haven't seen it all. 5 days I'll get the Black Mage Chocobo barding.

The one thing I hate about this game forces you into dungeons to see the main story. Though, most of them have been piss easy. The main trouble I had was with Titan.

They were designed to be limited because the team decided that they wanted to curb costs on servers. Personal housing is a failure on almost every level. But hey, lets punish the people instead of making more wards.

It's a gameplay thing, not a server thing - for a working economy, you need very expensive things that drain money from people's pockets so they have incentive to make more. This is why the houses don't have set prices but prices that fluctuate based on demand. It also gives companies another reason for existence, so people can pool their money to buy a residence, and then fix it up nice. Other games do a slightly better job - they actually charge a monthly upkeep, if you don't pay the upkeep you lose the house. That makes more sense than just removing it after a time.

As for "a failure on every level", I guess that's why it's popular and people like buying and decorating houses, right? If it were a failure on almost every level, why would anyone care if their house gets taken away? They wouldn't have a house in the first place to be taken away...

Basically, they are keeping players hostage by keeping them subbed or they lose their stuff. Lovely.
Makes sense, if you are taking up space/resources in a game you aren't paying for, why shouldn't they free that up for other people? I mean, you aren't playing the game, so the housing lot isn't doing anything for you or anyone else. And most houses are owned by companies (as that was their point), if an entire company doesn't log in for over a month, then it probably dissolved and the lot should go to new owners.

Cmagus

So this guy attack Y'shtola is he one of the guys from the warrior of darkness party from the trailer? He looks to be fighting her in the same area the WOD is fighting Ravana. I wonder if the rest of his party is included in this.

Limited in the sense of just not wanting to create more instances in order to lower costs? Housing in this game is such a step back even from games over ten years ago, and that's just astounding. And with them now saying "Either get on or get out", I think it may be time to just sell it and just not bother in general.
Housing is one of the biggest failures in this game, it's such a joke and they messed it up badly. They should have instancing and leave the districts to FC housing.

Wagram

Makes sense, if you are taking up space/resources in a game you aren't paying for, why shouldn't they free that up for other people? I mean, you aren't playing the game, so the housing lot isn't doing anything for you or anyone else. And most houses are owned by companies (as that was their point), if an entire company doesn't log in for over a month, then it probably dissolved and the lot should go to new owners.

This is more of an issue for people that own personal houses because people like to take breaks at times. Personally, I own a mansion with about 100m invested into it between the land, house, furnishing, airship, etc. They're forcing us back every 45 days. People should be able to take a break, and then come back. I think 90 days is fair. Taking away all of our work is fair because we would like a break from the game here and there?

I think the problem is that SE is so damn cheap about spending money on server capacity.

Ferr986

It's a gameplay thing, not a server thing - for a working economy, you need very expensive things that drain money from people's pockets so they have incentive to make more. This is why the houses don't have set prices but prices that fluctuate based on demand. It also gives companies another reason for existence, so people can pool their money to buy a residence, and then fix it up nice. Other games do a slightly better job - they actually charge a monthly upkeep, if you don't pay the upkeep you lose the house. That makes more sense than just removing it after a time.

As for "a failure on every level", I guess that's why it's popular and people like buying and decorating houses, right? If it were a failure on almost every level, why would anyone care if their house gets taken away? They wouldn't have a house in the first place to be taken away...

Locking content like housing is bullshit. Everyone should be able to get a house, period. Not saying for free or anything, make them cost millions and takes years to farm, ok, but should be obtainable. Imagine if there was 200 relics per server? It's the friggin same for housing.

And now, on top of that, they use housing as a method to tie up players, because they can't be arsed to add more wards or just make instanced houses.

And please don't tell me about personal rooms, that's not housing.

Remember when Yoshida said personal housing would be different than FC housing?

Making a resource limited in a friggin paid MMO is unfair. Everyone is paying the same monthly fee.

Literally November.

At least this will (hopefully) give a variety to endgame activity. Being funneled into the same two dungeons on the daily for upgrades (Alex can be knocked out in a day) really dragged the game down.
Now you can grind two different dungeons and do a different weekly raid.

Bittercup

I watched the live stream and it didn't look too exciting for me. Invisible monk weapons and the black fishnet pantyhose from the bunny outfit are the best features.
I'll probably resub next week to still get the Halloween outfit and then play through the story once the patch releases and then quit again until maybe there are some major changes to crafting.

I just was happy enough to own a small house after saving up for one. But here's the thing, my neighborhood is mostly empty in Ul'dah Wards and maybe a bit more than half of the plots are still up for grabs. I know it's not the most glamorous area, but just having a house was good enough for me. It's just hard to say that "Land is in demand" when there's actually a good amount of land here and there.

But it's also hitting the issue of how exactly is it that difficult to create more instanced housing? And what is preventing current players from taking a plot elsewhere so that it 'begs' the creation of housing timers for removal?

Aeana

Now you can grind two different dungeons and do a different weekly raid.

Yep... :\
I was really hoping FF14 would get away from this with the expansion, but instead of expanding the amount of content 2.x had by the end, which was finally starting to be in a good position with varied stuff to do, it's right back to 2.0's patch pattern where they just move everybody from one set of end-game dungeons to another.

I love the game, I'm just tired of doing the same stuff over and over again.

kiryogi

Banned
I was really hoping FF14 would get away from this with the expansion, but instead of expanding the amount of content 2.x had by the end, which was finally starting to be in a good position with varied stuff to do, it's right back to 2.0's patch pattern where they just move everybody from one set of end-game dungeons to another.

Word is the they're pretty short handed hence why 3.1 took so long. I think it's all hands on deck for XV and whatever else projects going on.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

If we're lucky, 4.0 will be more than a glorified 2.0 tier patch.

Sylas

The airship stuff has potential! Especially since there's no lockout other than a 30-minute timer if you spent all 90 minutes on the island.

That said, the patches do feel a lot... lower energy, maybe? I get the feeling that Heavensward really strained their resources more than they'd like to admit. We'll see once 3.1 lands but I get the feeling they're suddenly lacking direction or something.

Wagram

The airship stuff has potential! Especially since there's no lockout other than a 30-minute timer if you spent all 90 minutes on the island.

I was excited for this, but with multiple FC's being able to be on the same island this will become nothing more than glorified Odin fights. There will be limited mechanics, and will be incredibly difficult to see with the amount of people fighting the same monster.

This isn't a problem limited exclusively to XIV though. It happens in a lot of MMOs.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Looks good.

Wish it was a week earlier. Tomb Raider and Fallout come out that day. Might not get to the patch for awhile.

Taruranto

It was obviously during 2.0., Yoshi-P is just not a very good game designer.

Funnily enough, FFXI has been putting out tons of content recently. I'm curious to see what SE will do with Matsui after November.

Kalentan

Finally, the wait between 3.0 and 3.1 was waaaaaaasaaaaaaaaaay too long. I haven't touched it in weeks because of it. :(

tearsofash

I'm more excited about the changes they announced during live letter. Void Ark and airship voyages look cool though.

Shamdeo

Exploratory missions are a new endgame type (going by rewards), if not a different spin on existing objectives. Remains to be seen how much mileage people will get out of it, but it seems to be pretty accessible outright.

Not sure why people think EXDR is the only thing going on here.

Matticers

I stopped playing around level 56 or 57-ish after the expansion. I think I just got annoyed with having to grind out sidequests or dungeons to level up with the story missions locked behind certain levels. It is a great game though. Kind of a shame to hear that most seem to be a little unhappy about the endgame.

I'm still hoping that we get a Samurai job but I guess any new jobs won't be happening until the next expansion.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Exploratory missions are a new endgame type (going by rewards), if not a different spin on existing objectives. Remains to be seen how much mileage people will get out of it, but it seems to be pretty accessible outright.

can you only get there with a full party or does it have DFable list? I barely can get in DR ex parties so if its the former i cant say im too excited lol

ReaperXL7

can you only get there with a full party or does it have DFable list? I barely can get in DR ex parties so if its the former i cant say im too excited lol

You can duty finder the exploratory islands. There are air ships in ishguard and the only thing you won't be able to do is the HM version unless you go with an FC

I hope they never drop the Sub to be honest, I have played enough F2p MMOs to know they get updated once in a blue moon and the game will be designed with getting players into their cash shop instead of playing the game.

Shamdeo

Any size party of up to eight (even solo) as far as I know. If you're not going on your FC airship (or dont have a FC), looks like you just visit House Haillenarte in Ishgard.

Because Square has never had much success with making side content meaningful. Aside from Hunts which changed the game in a very negative way, I can't think of a single hyped feature that people still care about today.

BLCKATK

Looks really fun actually. Looking at this it seems like they probably had to dedicate quite a bit of development time to this, it actually legitimately looks different than anything else in the game currently. I hope it holds up, we need stuff that is fun and different and worthy of investing time in. I'm in this game primarily for battle content and since I've stopped raiding I'd love a distraction like this.

Stuart444

I like that there 'isn't much to do' lol. Makes it easy for me to log on for an hour or two, do a dungeon or the void ark with this new patch (though I need to do Alex normal) and then log out.

I promised myself I wouldn't spend all day playing for weeks and burning myself out too quick this time. When I do that, I forget about other games I'm playing and leave them for months.

Looking forward to playing the story, anyway :D.

Shamdeo

Because Square has never had much success with making side content meaningful. Aside from Hunts which changed the game in a very negative way, I can't think of a single hyped feature that people still care about today.

Just curious, what is your definition of "meaningful" in this context?

I can't seem to grasp the ideology of those who hate the current housing system and view the houses they own as shitty and don't care about them, and are simultaneously upset that a house they don't use in a game they aren't planning on keeping an active sub to is going to be refunded to them so that people who do want a house can have one.

Jeels

I'm going to disagree with you here. Outside of my FC I have made so many friends joining hunting parties. Sure when hunt season begins things get chaotic, but there's a happy medium point where you don't get screwed so long as you join a hunt party and its a lot of fun.

Beyond that, the game doesn't have a single defining feature...but there are those that play triple triad for example still every day/week...those that hunt every time that season begins again, those that still do crafting/gathering/beast tribe dailies. There's something for everyone...

Veldin

I wish I could keep playing this game, but until they change their endgame philosophy the content is just way too short-lived.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
You can duty finder the exploratory islands. There are air ships in ishguard and the only thing you won't be able to do is the HM version unless you go with an FC

I hope they never drop the Sub to be honest, I have played enough F2p MMOs to know they get updated once in a blue moon and the game will be designed with getting players into their cash shop instead of playing the game.

Any size party of up to eight (even solo) as far as I know. If you're not going on your FC airship (or dont have a FC), looks like you just visit House Haillenarte in Ishgard.

very nice thx.

Nibiru

Banned
This is a great game I just don't have the time to mmo any more:( Well, I could I guess but I basically wouldn't be able to play much else and there are so many crazy games coming out.

As mmos go though this one is currently the best one imo.

Top Bottom