• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

SlickVic

Anyone happen to know if they tend to put the game on sale around the time of these bigger content updates? I feel I've done most of what I wanted to do in the free trial (leveled White mage to the level 35 cap and got Archer/Bard to 30) and looking to buy the game, but just don't want to miss out on a sale if it's right around the corner. I've been checking SlickDeals and it seems like it's been 2-3 months since the starter pack or Stormblood went on sale. I do know it's about $50 right now for the complete edition on GMG and Best Buy GCU.

Squishy3

I do know it's about $50 right now for the complete edition on GMG and Best Buy GCU.
That's probably about what you'd pay for ARR+SB even if ARR went on sale, since it usually goes on sale for $10. I don't know if SB will be going on sale anytime soon, but you could wait and see if ARR goes on sale if you don't want to commit to buying Stormblood yet, good chunk of content to go through still without having access to HW or SB.

The major benefit to owning Stormblood is you could get leveling roulette's XP bonus (since it raises the cap to 70 regardless of if you're into HW or SB yet) and try Red Mage and Samurai when you hit level 50, if that doesn't appeal to you then just see if the base game goes on sale.

Zomba13

New prizes are available for purchase using MGP.
cfd6b53bc9cd08b494512a662c04942848db9539_53.png

AH HA! I was right to save my MGP and not buy that flying chair!

New items
General-purpose Metallic Orange Dye
General-purpose Metallic Yellow Dye

Isn't metallic yellow just gold?

SlickVic

That's probably about what you'd pay for ARR+SB even if ARR went on sale, since it usually goes on sale for $10. I don't know if SB will be going on sale anytime soon, but you could wait and see if ARR goes on sale if you don't want to commit to buying Stormblood yet, good chunk of content to go through still without having access to HW or SB.

The major benefit to owning Stormblood is you could get leveling roulette's XP bonus (since it raises the cap to 70 regardless of if you're into HW or SB yet) and try Red Mage and Samurai when you hit level 50, if that doesn't appeal to you then just see if the base game goes on sale.

Yeah I'm probably going to buy all the expansions. From what I saw the starter pack was down to $5 a few months ago on Amazon, so that plus Stormblood with Best Buy GCU discount would have come out to about $40. But I suppose a difference of $10 is pretty minimal difference for a subscription game. I've already put in about 50 hours in the free trial so $50 for the complete edition seems pretty fair. If there isn't any further sales in the next few days I'll probably just go ahead and pick it up.

yami4ct

It's more like what they did to disembowel, it makes dropping it less punishing. (Not that any good Dragoons will drop it unless they're forced to)

Yeah. They effectively just rolled the damage into our combo so sort of whatever. I don't really see how any dragoon who isn't completely terrible will ever drop it in single target as it's super easy to fold into a rotation, but whatever. At this point they really might as well just drop the skill all together and roll it in or add the boost to ID or something. They're nerfing it to the point of really there no reason for it to be around.

Bowlie

Banned
Yeah, after finishing those 700mb I restarted the launcher and I'm now downloading the rest of the patch (at incredible 0.12 mb/s!!)

edit: you're lucky, Stuart, mine failed twice before reaching 200mb

iammeiam

Update is ridiculously slow as noted, but I finally ran in to the "Unable to perform version check" error and just spent a half hour resetting and purging directories until I was able to get it to start the download. Whether or not it finishes in time will be a mystery, but at least there's some progress and I can F5 datamining while I wait. Beats having to reinstall.

Zomba13

My download is coming down at 4.3MB/s (UK here).
EDIT: welp, it was going ok for a while but then stopped when I went to look back.. Guess I spoke too soon.

iammeiam

Mine's just taken to downloading some, then erroring out. Resume, repeat. Shirogane Ultimate starting early.

From looking at Reddit, it's a PC issue only. PS4 updates are apparently normal.

yami4ct

Reminded that I had a non-steam version installed on my non-SSD. Copied the game directory from the Steam version to there, got the launcher to update and then the patch to start and then copied the boot directory back to the steam version and somehow that worked.

WHY DID THAT WORK?

Bowlie

Banned
Mine's just taken to downloading some, then erroring out. Resume, repeat. Shirogane Ultimate starting early.

From looking at Reddit, it's a PC issue only. PS4 updates are apparently normal.

Same thing is happening here, I don't see myself finishing the download in the next 15 minutes.

iammeiam

Same thing is happening here, I don't see myself finishing the download in the next 15 minutes.

Servers are up 3AM PST at the earliest so we've got another two hours to browbeat the patch into finishing.

I'm obsessively following knowing full well they'll probably have things smoothed out by servers up.

yami4ct

Good luck to the GAF guild in getting housing. Almost sad I'm not taking that kind of journey with you?

Not really. My internet is too slow to ever allow me to get a desired plot.
I'm just a crazy person with backwoods internet who really wants to raid tomorrow.
Don't screw me SE

Guess Who

Banned
The first ~950mb of the patch downloaded super fast for me and I came here to brag about how well it was going, but then I suddenly dropped to 0.26mbps because karma decided to have the last laugh

Astra

The first ~950mb of the patch downloaded super fast for me and I came here to brag about how well it was going, but then I suddenly dropped to 0.26mbps because karma decided to have the last laugh

Mine did the same thing and then sped right up after a few minutes.

iammeiam

It seems to pick up for good after finishing the first file.

The first file seemed to download like a poorly-seeded torrent; once it got past ~980 and installed the first patch, all the subsequent ones flew by but I was getting bounced n the first file till the bitter end. But people who started later seemed to fly through the early parts and then wall around the same point.

Qvoth

damn if that red lyse dress is dyeable it's gonna sell fuckload
if i'm s-e i'd sell that shit @$10.99

edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ni2PjMsqLq3ZP_U/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true
wtf firecrest and glass pumpkin accessories? these are new right?
shinryu ex blm weapon is spell speed and crit lmao
hellhound weapons for each class, they're ilvl 1 so glamour intended, these and werewolf set probably are the halloween event rewards, might be cool

new mounts
https://imgur.com/a/SoeKf
christmas santa bear is cool :3

new minions
https://imgur.com/a/CEe1X
ixion minion lol, that and with ixion barding means i'll probably go for ixion again if it pops

Bowlie

Banned
Yup, things sped up near the end and now my game is ready.

Det and Sks on Shinryu's gun, unfortunate. I want to see how it is now

Bowlie

Banned
And the minions.

Finally Ravana. LOOK AT THAT SEAL, GOD.

Also, *another* thing to spend Ixion's horns on

edit:

Who let the newborn miniature Far Eastern canine specimen out? Who, who, who, who, who!?<br>
Use item to acquire the mameshiba minion.

lol

edit:

You can see Shinryu's weapons here, by searching in "Model" the weapon's name. The gear sets are also there.

iammeiam

Combat gear with stats; was slightly worried the healer belt from the 24-man would be really good, but no, it is boring.

The Shinryu weapons are also... things that exist. Looks like 98 WD, and a lot of underwhelming secondary combinations. Bow has no crit, why even wake up in the morning. They'll be good filler, mostly, but without the WD I'm not sure how helpful they'll actually be.

Also sounds like the Mastercraft market might pick up a little, as they're apparently used in the new crafted crafter gear. Which will be a good goal for 4.1, as it seems like having that melded out will be important for 4.2.

Top Bottom