• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

Ran rp

rip last post

Best scene in the video.

nuioyj.gif

dvzavv.gif

mfxcfu.gif

Ah the Bargaining stage.

My grief is 100% over delay, not downgrade. As I've said many times, I'm not particularly fussed over IQ, and if that's the main problem, I'd rather play an uglier version in September than a prettier in Nov. Presumably instability was a big part of the push though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
PSY・S;214396542 said:
rip last post

Best scene in ]
This scene makes very little sense from a narrative and gameplay standpoint. There's a completely unguarded road DIRECTLY to the left of a huge blockade. That you can just drive your car through. The princes likely recognizable one of a kind car. This and the scene in the prologue of the movie where Regis is being chased by dudes with guns who're making no attempt to fire at him doesn't exactly make the army feel threatening in anyway.

PSY・S;214396542 said:
rip last post

Best scene in the video.

mfxcfu.gif

Ha ha, best part of this is that Noctis puts on his blinker before turning onto side road.

"Nothing suspicious here, just out for a drive, following the rules of the road to the letter...."

Ran rp

This scene makes very little sense from a narrative and gameplay standpoint. There's a completely unguarded road DIRECTLY to the left of a huge blockade. That you can just drive your car through. The princes likely recognizable one of a kind car. This and the scene in the prologue of the movie where Regis is being chased by dudes with guns who're making no attempt to fire at him doesn't exactly make the army feel threatening in anyway.

I know, It's dumb. It has the best atmosphere though.

Ha ha, best part of this is that Noctis puts on his blinker before turning onto side road.

"Nothing suspicious here, just out for a drive, following the rules of the road to the letter...."

lmao

I'm actually surprised that people mostly ignored the dungeons showed in the video.

I love the look of the dungeons. Got tired of XII and XIII's box-with-texture-painted-on-walls dungeons, and really like the natural look of what they've shown of XV. Nice creepy monsters too, and, as noted, great music.

I love the look of the dungeons. Got tired of XII and XIII's box-with-texture-painted-on-walls dungeons, and really like the natural look of what they've shown of XV. Nice creepy monsters too, and, as noted, great music.

And Tabata said that he wanted the dungeons to be really dangerous like they were in the classics FFs. Since FF VII the dungeons are kind easy save for last dungeons.

TTG

Ouch, there's literally too much jank to bother writing a comprehensive list of stuff that comes up in the first 5 minutes. The tech is a generation behind, then there's the girl with an utterly repulsive accent with her underwear popping out everywhere. I don't know how they managed it really, blasting so much crap into your eyes right from the word go.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its annoying because they go back after they are already on the road in Hammerhead and then they leave again after like 5 seconds from a Cor phone call. They could have just gotten a Cor phone call in their hotel room and continued on their journey instead of going all the way back to the gates of Insomnia

wmlk

Its annoying because they go back after they are already on the road in Hammerhead and then they leave again after like 5 seconds from a Cor phone call. They could have just gotten a Cor phone call in their hotel room and continued on their journey instead of going all the way back to the gates of Insomnia

I think I'd want to see with my own eyes if the place I spent my whole life in in is about to get blown up. I'd throw logic completely out of the window.

Besides, they were mulling over whether to go back to Insomnia in a previous scene.

Not noticed anyone notice that Noctis clothes got dirty after fighting the beast for dave.

Pretty nice detail, wonder how he cleans? or maybe it just fades

Falk

that puzzling face
To be fair, it leads to a dead-end guarded by magitek soldiers and stuff.

But yeah convenient dirt road.

Inuhanyou

I think I'd want to see with my own eyes if the place I spent my whole life in in is about to get blown up. I'd throw logic completely out of the window.

Besides, they were mulling over whether to go back to Insomnia in a previous scene.

Which doesn't unfortunately excuse what might amount to padding locations for a single cut scene to leave again, i understand what your saying, but from a game perspective, its just dumb.

The whole point of them being out of town for the fall of the city means little if they just come back to the gates.

wmlk

Which doesn't unfortunately excuse what might amount to padding locations for a single cut scene to leave again, i understand what your saying, but from a game perspective, its just dumb.

From a game perspective? The game is primarily telling a story. If the story involves your home getting blown to pieces, and you happen to be minutes away, it makes complete sense for the story to move you in that direction.

And it's not padding if that location is off the beaten path and we never get to see it. It also involves fighting the imperial army for the first time in the game. Like, the combat scenario there is probably 10-20 minutes long. The cutscene that follows is probably just a minute long. That's not padding.

The whole point of them being out of town for the fall of the city means little if they just come back to the gates.

The whole point was to keep them out of the city, which they succeed.

And Tabata said that he wanted the dungeons to be really dangerous like they were in the classics FFs. Since FF VII the dungeons are kind easy save for last dungeons.

Yeah this is good news (assuming we don't have to reload at the beginning of the dungeon if we wipe after an hour a la III).

Voror

Yeah, this struck me while watching it too that there shouldn't be any doubt they'd be spotted, but they just go along their way. At least the point they went in on was guarded.

Yeah, this struck me while watching it too that there shouldn't be any doubt they'd be spotted, but they just go along their way. At least the point they went in on was guarded.

The robo-soldiers seem none-too-bright though. That is, at least in Duscae and most of what they've shown, they're depicted as having pretty rudimentary AI. If they're set to "guard choke point road," maybe they just don't challenge passersby who don't cause a problem.

But yeah, the Regalia does stick out like a sore thumb.

Voror

The robo-soldiers seem none-too-bright though. That is, at least in Duscae and most of what they've shown, they're depicted as having pretty rudimentary AI. If they're set to "guard choke point road," maybe they just don't challenge passersby who don't cause a problem.

But yeah, the Regalia does stick out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, they seem to simply be attack bots and nothing more advanced than that. It feels like an oversight on the Empire's part that them being destroyed doesn't trigger some alarm to check things out. Noctis and them just hang out talking to Cor before just leaving on their way.

Then again, I suppose they might also figure that the Prince wouldn't dare come back.

.JayZii

Banned
PSY・S;214396542 said:
rip last post
Best scene in the video.
I thought it was silly when they first turned off the road too, but then it leads to a dead end and they proceed on foot into a guarded base anyway (right?). It's not like they took a dirt path straight into the city.

They were just being slightly more sneaky.

I thought it was silly when they first turned off the road too, but then it leads to a dead end and they proceed on foot into a guarded base anyway (right?). It's not like they took a dirt path straight into the city.

They were just being slightly more sneaky.

Agreed, they seem to meet an awful lot of resistance on the path they choose and it doesn't shock me that the Magitek soldiers don't recognize Noctis' car. They seem pretty stone dumb.

Voror

They used the earlier prototypes to close out the city, too. Iedolas is dumb as hell.

Or arrogant, which leads to about the same thing. Then again, if he's left thing to Ardyn then perhaps it's no wonder since he's clearly up to something.

Do they even know where Noctis is at this point? If they were looking to sever the line of Lucis once and for all, presumably they thought Noctis would be w/ his dad during the invasion, 2 birds one stone.

If the invasion just happened, in the chaos they still may not know where he is.

Also, the 50 minute footage elides much of what happens -- do we know from someone who played the whole opening that it really goes right from Noctis and co crushing a few bots to phone call w/ no empire back-up rolling in? Does seem like attacking guards at one of the choke points should result in pretty rapid reinforcements.

This outfit looks cool. Still wish they kept with the all black attire look. That or go with some darker colors? Also is Noctis wearing some Y-3 sneakers?

costume3-jpg.21721

Something along these lines would be cool. It sorta matches what they've showed off so far as alternate attire, just a tad toned down.

Voror

Do they even know where Noctis is at this point? If they were looking to sever the line of Lucis once and for all, presumably they thought Noctis would be w/ his dad during the invasion, 2 birds one stone.

If the invasion just happened, in the chaos they still may not know where he is.

Also, the 50 minute footage elides much of what happens -- do we know from someone who played the whole opening that it really goes right from Noctis and co crushing a few bots to phone call w/ no empire back-up rolling in? Does seem like attacking guards at one of the choke points should result in pretty rapid reinforcements.

Well, just saw Kingsglaive tonight so not sure if this is really spoilers since it doesn't seem critical but
I can't recall anyone in the Empire even mentioning Noctis aside from Ardyn talking about the wedding when he first shows up. There isn't any notice I saw that he wasn't around, which felt a bit weird. But I sort of get the feeling that he wasn't highest on their list since the goals were to kill Regis, get the ring and take the crystal.

Yeah, there are cuts so they might need to fight their way out of there.I forgot about how that happens throughout the preview.

Ishida

Banned
This outfit looks cool. Still wish they kept with the all black attire look. That or go with some darker colors? Also is Noctis wearing some Y-3 sneakers?

costume3-jpg.21721

Something along these lines would be cool. It sorta matches what they've showed off so far as alternate attire, just a tad toned down.

But then we would get people complaining about "just black outfits!".

Well, just saw Kingsglaive tonight so not sure if this is really spoilers since it doesn't seem critical but
I can't recall anyone in the Empire even mentioning Noctis aside from Ardyn talking about the wedding when he first shows up. There isn't any notice I saw that he wasn't around, which felt a bit weird. But I sort of get the feeling that he wasn't highest on their list since the goals were to kill Regis, get the ring and take the crystal.

Yeah, there are cuts so they might need to fight their way out of there.I forgot about how that happens throughout the preview.

Interesting -- since the ring is passed down to the next king, you'd think they'd be eager to off Noctis too.

Voror

Interesting -- since the ring is passed down to the next king, you'd think they'd be eager to off Noctis too.

Yeah, I can only assume they didn't foresee issues getting the ring or perhaps figured once the city was taken down one boy couldn't cause that much of an issue.

They downgraded it so much within such a short amount of time, that I find it impossible to believe that they thought they actually hit this target five months ago.
Unless watching it on tablet made it harder to see for some reason, there are also no aliasing issues with hair in this video. Looks to me like they filmed this at a super high resolution, so it was never indicative of the final release quality sadly. Here's hoping the Neo mode reintroduces the foliage density and solves IQ issues at least, even if the lighting quality never returns. That definitely seems to have taken a downgrade, even compared to the Duscae demo =(

Inuhanyou

Wow, the voice actors actually sound like they're playing off of each other. Why couldn't they do this for the English version again?

Thank god there's going to be dual audio.

Japanese voice actors always record in the same room, usually close to each other to catch the flow of conversation.

Dubs don't generally do that because they are too busy trying to make the lines sound right in translation and match the mouth movements. They are generally done in individual booths, usually not with any of the other actors who usually arent even in the studio at the time, and read from a script with usually only summarization context given.

Japanese VO is just on a whole nother level, as its far more of a job you can live off of indefinately than it is in western territories

wmlk

Unless watching it on tablet made it harder to see for some reason, there are also no aliasing issues with hair in this video. Looks to me like they filmed this at a super high resolution, so it was never indicative of the final release quality sadly. Here's hoping the Neo mode reintroduces the foliage density and solves IQ issues at least, even if the lighting quality never returns. That definitely seems to have taken a downgrade, even compared to the Duscae demo =(

I think aliasing was just as bad here as it is in the 50 minute video. When you watch on a bigger screen, Ardyn's hair looks very sharp.

God the magic system is amazingly awkward.

Multiple developers have already mastered how to do melee and magic combat in action games.Even square's own KH teams now exactly how to do action combat and large scale battles.

FFXV ignores all that and tries to reinvent instead of refine and improve.The result is awkward and confused at best.

That's exactly this should've been done by the KH team ,because they know exactly how to do all these concepts that Tabata desperately tries to achieve.

Yea.

Yea.

It's sad. But hey-o, what can we do.

I think aliasing was just as bad here as it is in the 50 minute video. When you watch on a bigger screen, Ardyn's hair looks very sharp.
Ahh, fair enough. Definitely a shame then. After gaming on PC for so long I really need that IQ addressed, so I'll happily wait for a PC version if Neo can't fix it. I might also be able to mod Ardyn's pink hair away at the same time (seriously, what is it with Japan and bonkers hair colours?) Really can't take him seriously when he looks like this =P

Top Bottom