• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - 50 min video

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Doesn't XIII-2 have costumes too?

I honestly took it as an FF staple by now.

Turin

Banned
The amount of customization options in LR is significant though. It really shouldn't be ignored.

Honestly, I payed no attention to that game at all.

Still, it isn't something that would've given me confidence that it'd become a series standard. I'm glad that seems to be the case.

BocoDragon

Honestly, I payed no attention to that game at all.

Still, it isn't something that would've given me confidence that it'd become a series standard. I'm glad that seems to be the case.
They're all too happy to sell you DLC costumes, it turns out ;)

Dark_castle

Lightning Returns is irrelevant. The others are MMO's.
Say what you want about LR, I thought the combat in that game was really well done, certainly better than XV's IMO. Note that I'm comparing demos to demos, as I only played the beginning of LR. LR also had holding button to attack shenanigan, but it's offset by 'perfect attacks', which gives more damage for timed button presses. XV could really benefit from something like that. Not to mention LR actually plays quite responsively and don't have a lot of locked animation bogging down combat.

SoulUnison

Banned
The amount of customization options in LR is significant though. It really shouldn't be ignored.

I played through LR, like, 1.3 times, and I felt like after you accounted for which garbs had usable stats and which garbs didn't look like a stripper got lost at DisneyLand the amount left over was pretty low. And then a bunch more get ruined by not allowing you to change their colors for some arbitrary reason.

BocoDragon

Say what you want about LR, I thought the combat in that game was really well done, certainly better than XV's IMO. Note that I'm comparing demos to demos, as I only played the beginning of LR. LR also had holding button to attack shenanigan, but it's offset by 'perfect attacks', which gives more damage for timed button presses. XV could really benefit from something like that. Not to mention LR actually plays quite responsively and don't have a lot of locked animation bogging down combat.
I think its a fine game. Not perfect. I really enjoyed it, and it is indeed an open world FF which has got to count for something ... But it's a very divisive topic.

Also just for sheer marketing reality, I don't blame someone for skipping it altogether. Your selling point is Lightning fucking Again? I groaned when they announced it.

Turin

Banned
They're all too happy to sell you DLC costumes, it turns out ;)

Par for the course these days tbh.

I believe it.

I played through LR, like, 1.3 times, and I felt like after you accounted for which garbs had usable stats and which garbs didn't look like a stripper got lost at DisneyLand the amount left over was pretty low. And then a bunch more get ruined by not allowing you to change their colors for some arbitrary reason.
A lot of LR's designs were either completely out of character or stuff women wouldn't be caught dead wearing. Lightning felt like a dress-up doll in that game. It's too bad, since I really loved her original outfit in XIII.

Voror

Japanese voice actors always record in the same room, usually close to each other to catch the flow of conversation.

Dubs don't generally do that because they are too busy trying to make the lines sound right in translation and match the mouth movements. They are generally done in individual booths, usually not with any of the other actors who usually arent even in the studio at the time, and read from a script with usually only summarization context given.

Japanese VO is just on a whole nother level, as its far more of a job you can live off of indefinately than it is in western territories

Oh didn't actually know that with Japanese voice actors. Makes sense though and I wish that was done over here in the US too. I feel I've seen behind the scenes of some productions that did this with excellent results such as the Legacy of Kain series which has excellent voice acting.

Shame really.

SoulUnison

Banned
A lot of LR's designs were either completely out of character or stuff women wouldn't be caught dead wearing. Lightning felt like a dress-up doll in that game. It's too bad, since I really loved her original outfit in XIII.

I played through 90% of the game with the Cocoon Soldier outfit you got from having XIII save data.

BocoDragon

What do you mean?

image.jpg

wmlk

I feel like when there's such a gap between the story and gameplay regarding the costumes, to the point where it's a freaking parody, there's always going to be some deserved flack that LR gets in that department.

God the magic system is amazingly awkward.

Multiple developers have already mastered how to do melee and magic combat in action games.Even square's own KH teams now exactly how to do action combat and large scale battles.

FFXV ignores all that and tries to reinvent instead of refine and improve.The result is awkward and confused at best.

That's exactly this should've been done by the KH team ,because they know exactly how to do all these concepts that Tabata desperately tries to achieve.
Yeah, magic grenades are pretty clunky. No clue how they thought it was ok.
This game is made by the KH team.
They made a new KH team because the KH2 team has been busy making this for 10 years. All the more disappointing, really.

Griss

I feel like the game is going to have tons of problems, but I've seen more than enough to know that it will have multiple amazing high points that should make it worth it. Honestly I'm more excited now than I was before, and looking forward to it.

What do you mean?

You've never seen someone wear that to the office on casual Friday? You work with stiffs.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They made a new KH team because the KH2 team has been busy making this for 10 years. All the more disappointing, really.

The osaka team is the KH team and has been since 2007. The 'team' you speak of that was created from people in the KH2 development project shifted over for project Versus have not been together for years, even before the 15 reboot project began because some of them quit, others were transitioned permanently to other areas in the company, commissioned to do other projects ect.

The people working on 15 are completely different programmers, designers ect. Which makes sense since its been 10 years.

Dark_castle

LR too did magic better. You cast the spells as they consume ATb gauge, you could chain them into combos, no hassle of restocking and worrying about running out of magic when you need them, or having them limit your combat options as Lightning actually had multiple loadouts based on jobs with a lot of command options. It's really like if you turned X-2's combat and put it into a more real-time environment, and make it faster and more exciting.

If XVI really had to be another action rpg, I wouldn't mind Yuji Abe to work on the gameplay again.

HeelPower

Lightning Returns is irrelevant.

You'd be surprised.There's an amazing amount of depth to be found in LR's customization and its directly in relation to actual gameplay.

LR's battlesystem is probably one of the most sophisticated in the entire series.

Even the quest design in FFXV,as seen in this video, seems reminiscent of LR's.

Its not that irrelevant,actually.Yes the game fails miserably at story department and time management sucks,but its not all bad.

wmlk

There are also people from the KH2 team working on FFXV, a few of them in lead roles regarding battle, enemy, and level design.

And the annoyance in using magic in FFXV is that when you tap it, it doesn't go to where the enemy is. It goes to where the enemy was at that point when you tapped it, so it's not always reliable for fast moving enemies. That feels like such an easy fix though.

We don't know how magic casting works now. It's been a while since the Platinum Demo. In this gameplay, the person always held and aimed it.

wanders

LR too did magic better. You cast the spells as they consume ATb gauge, you could chain them into combos, no hassle of restocking and worrying about running out of magic when you need them, or having them limit your combat options as Lightning actually had multiple loadouts based on jobs with a lot of command options. It's really like if you turned X-2's combat and put it into a more real-time environment, and make it faster and more exciting.

If XVI really had to be another action rpg, I wouldn't mind Yuji Abe to work on the gameplay again.

I'm wet. Maybe I'll give LR a chance...

HeelPower

Yuji abe could do wonders once he works with directors other than Toriyama.

Guy has amazing potential.He needs to be back again and work on games other than just XIII.

I am gonna guess this game is made by a mish mash of devs from every department.

But its not going in the direction of KH gameplay.

Its a strange beast.We'll see once it releases.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There are also people from the KH2 team working on FFXV, a few of them in lead roles regarding battle, enemy, and level design.

Sure, but the team that was making Versus in great majority, the "KH team" that was spoken of by Nomura 10 years ago no longer exists, is my point.

It would be impossible for them to exist with the restructuring SE has had over the past decade.

Toth

I think the magic in the game will be far more powerful than any magic in LR, especially from the videos we have seen magic being used. The fact you can customize it to do such things as heal your party and dualcast means there has to be some limit for gameplay balance.

Falk

that puzzling face
We don't know how magic casting works now. It's been a while since the Platinum Demo. In this gameplay, the person always held and aimed it.

Over here Noctis doesn't appear to be throwing a pokeball. Granted, it's a glorified parry/counter, but at least canon-wise Noctis doesn't seem to be shackled to using only pokeballs.

Akainu

He didn't design all of the Versus designs.

Ardyn, Aranea, Verstael are all by Ferrari. I'm willing to bet Iris is by Nomura, considering he designed Gladio and he always had siblings that were mentioned in his character synopses. I'm willing to bet Cidney was by Ferrari from Versus as well. Both Ferrari and Nomura haven't been in touch with Tabata's staff.

Pretty sure Aranea wasn't even a thing back then. Wasn't the dragoon just a regular enemy? Were those other characters even revealed before the change to xv?

wmlk

Pretty sure Aranea wasn't even a thing back then. Wasn't the dragoon just a regular enemy?
No, she was never said as just a regular enemy. That's something people interpreted on their own.

And those characters are from Versus. Ferrari started working on the game since 2010.

Just looking at the first couple of lines and you can several have already been dispelled by the 50 minute video and the Kingsglaive movie.

Yeah, having seen Kingsglaive, one spoiler is certainly false (or bad writing):
Ardyn has a line or two in Kingsglaive that make it clear he didn't know about the meaning of the "old wall" in Insomnia. No way he's secretly ancient and/or an old king of Lucis.

Mailbox

Yeah, Nomura just kinda sucked at explaining it I think.

Either way, I love her character design, and I expect to be horribly disappointed when the game just makes her a throwaway boss...

~sigh...

Dark_castle

I think the magic in the game will be far more powerful than any magic in LR, especially from the videos we have seen magic being used. The fact you can customize it to do such things as heal your party and dualcast means there has to be some limit for gameplay balance.
The thing is, I don't need magic to be super powerful, the end all be all, one time solution to the combat. In an action game, I would rather magic be an active component of the gameplay. Let us cast the magic and work them seamlessly into the battles, like LR, KH2, Ys: Oath of Felgana.

sappyday

If XV has a long journey akin to the older games then I won't mind the graphics. Right now we're getting the impression that there won't be much to the story cause we keep seeing the same old places but the E3 trailer shows glimpses of areas that can feature heavy story set pieces.

If XV has a long journey akin to the older games then I won't mind the graphics. Right now we're getting the impression that there won't be much to the story cause we keep seeing the same old places but the E3 trailer shows glimpses of areas that can feature heavy story set pieces.

The thing is, they kept showing things from chapter 1 - 3 this whole time. This 50 minutes video was all that we needed to believe that the game definitely has much more.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Over here Noctis doesn't appear to be throwing a pokeball. Granted, it's a glorified parry/counter, but at least canon-wise Noctis doesn't seem to be shackled to using only pokeballs.

The nature of magic is kind of weird for me right now. If people have watched Kingsglaive,
it doesn't seem like the Kingsglaives were throwing pokeballs but simply have magic coming out of their hands, among other spells. Could this the wild magic or ring magic that hasn't been shown yet?

Seeing the same old places I think it's done on purpose. I feel it's very easy to spoil a RPG game so it's deliberate. However, we do have the case of TPP where everything was shown to us. But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and you're right.

If you show the audience everything there's no sense of awe or shock. Either way you're screwed. This skepticism of course is due to the fact a good portion doesn't trust Tabata cause frankly he hasn't proven himself yet.

Seeing the same old places I think it's done on purpose. I feel it's very easy to spoil a RPG game so it's deliberate. However, we do have the case of TPP where everything was shown to us. But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong and you're right.

Yeah, what they did to TPP was awful. When we finally get the game we already knew basically everything.

Yeah, what they did to TPP was awful. When we finally get the game we already knew basically everything.

We got a butchered game but that's another story. Kojima is masterful because he shows a lot of footage with no context. It's an art..the downside is that we see every single cool moment. So when it happens we just be like " oh " lol

Ishida

Banned

If you show the audience everything there's no sense of awe or shock. Either way you're screwed. This skepticism of course is due to the fact a good portion doesn't trust Tabata cause frankly he hasn't proven himself yet.

Yeah. I'm willing to bet we've been shown less than 20% of the entire game story.

Remember, people, we have seen NOTHING of Ravus. Not a single scene. And Ideolas? The same. What about the rest of the Summons and their locations/storyline points? Nothing.

Hell, we were JUST revealed of the existence of Loqi. Who knows how many other characters remain hidden?

Regardless of people's positions on this game, just remember: This game is going to be massive.

Turin

Banned
In regards to magic and supernatural elements, I kind of want FFXVI to start off very low fantasy before gradually becoming an acid trip like every FF is meant to.

Falk

that puzzling face
As long as everyone doesn't end up (FFVIII spoiler)
coincidentally from the same orphanage I'm good with that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HeelPower

As long as everyone doesn't end up (FFVIII spoiler)
coincidentally from the same orphanage I'm good with that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand why this is so controversial.

They were in the same orphanage then went to the same military school garden thingy.

Not that far fetched?

Ishida

Banned

They were in the same orphanage then went to the same military school garden thingy.

Not that far fetched?

I don't mind the
orphanage plot. But the amnesia stuff felt so forced.

I LOVE VIII, by the way. :)

Falk

that puzzling face

Not that far fetched?

Going from Point A to Point B, yes.

Going from Point B, where you're
presented with people being basically strangers to each other (Squall vs Zell vs Selfie's introduction vs Irvine's introduction), back to Point A with amnesia being attributed to yet another convenient plot point (GF usage) *should* have worked as an interesting twist. Yet it kinda ended up feeling comical instead.

edit: ok fine, this isn't FF Community Thread. Spoiler tagged.

Top Bottom