• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV 80% OFF in Europe PSN

Dambrosi

Banned
Sony and Square are well within their rights to revoke the licenses and refund the orders. I agree that it could lead to more season pass and DLC purchases, but possibly not enough to offset however many units they've sold at a massive 80% off.
Of course they'd be within their rights to do so, but I think they'll just leave it. It's not only unprecedented for SE to revoke licences in event of misprice, it'd also be tons of work for no profit and bad PR. Not worth the effort IMO, especially for digital goods.

It's not like they're Amazon sending out physical boxes.

yophlow

Banned
Just got home after purchasing it on the website a few hours ago when the price was still discounted. Went into the store and looked for the game, it said "Download". So here I am, downloading! Hope they honor the deal, but understand if they don't. It'll just be a shitload of work for them.

If I was SE I'd honor it and just say "enjoy the game, please buy some dlc if you like it :)"

All the money they "lost" is just theoretical anyway. Would be a different story if it was made free on accident.

SomTervo

Good thing to live in Eastern European Timezone :). If there are sales anywhere in the net (like Black Friday) that start early in the morning by GMT, its easier to grab those sales from my country.

I missed this entirely because in recent weeks I've fixed my sleep hygeine and was sound asleep at the time.

Damn you, health and wellbeing!

sam777

If I was SE I'd honor it and just say "enjoy the game, please buy some dlc if you like it :)"

All the money they "lost" is just theoretical anyway. Would be a different story if it was made free on accident.

Tbh, a penny more and I wouldn't have bought it as I am not really interested in FF and have never played a game in the series before, so this extra cheap price has got them an extra sale.

Hoo-doo

Banned

True that. They have my 14 bucks, but it was a complete impulse purchase for a game that wasn't even really on my radar if priced anything else.

So if they decide to not honor the deal, that's their right, but it's not likely that they really lost a whole lot of money here.

Rixa

Yea, and as stated in this thread, digital goods so no posting / physical stuff losses.
Goodwill from their part if they honour.

My download was cancelled and I can no longer access it from the store. It's got the same ==X== that the PT demo now has.

I guess that's that!

No refund in my PSN wallet either tho.

xrnzaaas

My download was cancelled and I can no longer access it from the store. It's got the same ==X== that the PT demo now has.

I guess that's that!

That's strange. Once the downloads starts it should finish even if you don't have the license to launch the game (like when you log in to another account during download). Maybe they delisted the game for a moment to stop existing downloads and if that's the case they'll be doing refunds soon.

I have purchased it for £9.99, however I won't be able to start the download until later this evening.

Will the download become unavaliable for me by then?

I guess that's that!

FromHotUKDeals

"Are you sure you have enough space on your harddrive? I was getting the same error just now (the cross), so went and checked storage and deleted a couple games, and now it's installing :)"

Maybe that's it?

Freeman76

That's strange. Once the downloads starts it should finish even if you don't have the license to launch the game (like when you log in to another account during download). Maybe they delisted the game for a moment to stop existing downloads and if that's the case they'll be doing refunds soon.

They didnt because mine is still downloading

Listen. I think I got it: Do you know why it had that price for the base game ? because:

https://www.rentedart.com/home/2017/3/22/psn-store-eu-new-sale-includes-vr-titles

It was a system calculation error. The full game is suppsoed to be 37.99€
Full game is:
-Season pass which is 24.99€
-Base game : the rest of the sum

That is why you got the game base game with that price which wasn't supposed to happen.

Now it is not lost forever we can get full game with the same price of the base game with error price, still we have to get Season Pass with it.

Freeman76

Listen. I think I got it: Do you know why it had that price for the base game ? because:

https://www.rentedart.com/home/2017/3/22/psn-store-eu-new-sale-includes-vr-titles

It was a system calculation error. The full game is suppsoed to be 37.99€
Full game is:
-Season pass which is 24.99€
-Base game : the rest of the sum

That is why you got the game base game with that price which wasn't supposed to happen.

Now it is not lost forever we can get full game with the same price of the base game with error price, still we have to get Season Pass with it.

What did I just read :S

Murkas

Didn't a company shut down recently over people taking advantage of a pricing error? Might have been Civ 6 I think?

Also terrible thread title, at least put in pricing error or something!

c0de

Didn't a company shut down recently over people taking advantage of a pricing error? Might have been Civ 6 I think?

Also terrible thread title, at least put in pricing error or something!

The thread was made around 12 hours ago and OP is not able to change a thread title, only a mod can. No way OP could see that when he started the thread.

What did I just read :S

This how the price error happened. It divied the Premium Edition discounted price to Season Pass price + base game unsoppsed discounted price. Tis was correcetd after since the discounted base game is supposed to be priced higher: € 41.99 in this sale.

So the cheapest way to get FFXV now is to get Final Fantasy XV Digital Premium Edition.

I hope you guys are ready when this purchase is invalidated and the money is refunded. No way they can allow such cheap sales and i saw the deal exploding across the internet for several hours, which might amount to hundreds of purchase.

Freeman76

I hope you guys are ready when this purchase is invalidated and the money is refunded. No way they can allow such cheap sales and i saw the deal exploding across the internet for several hours, which might amount to hundreds of purchase.

Thanks for confirming it, nice to have some official word on whats going to happen.

FromHotUKDeals

"Are you sure you have enough space on your harddrive? I was getting the same error just now (the cross), so went and checked storage and deleted a couple games, and now it's installing :)"

Maybe that's it?

Oh okay! That totally worked. It's downloading now.

Must say, that is incredibly poor UX on the PS4. There's no indication that I should have deleted some content. Just a dumb ==X==.

Thank you.

Deal is back on, but without any Plus discount, just 40% for everyone. Which seems to confirm my guess that the double Plus discount was the mistake.

It is downloading now. I hope they honor the price. I was not even going to buy the game anytime soon considering I still got Horizon, but the 14 bucks made me instantly purchase it. No way I am paying 37 for it.

jdstorm

Banned
I think most of honoring/not honoring the purchase will probably be on Sony.

It seems like FFXV is meant to be onsale for around $40 of which $28 go to square. FFXV was sold for $20. If Sony is happy with their extra PS+ Subs and gives Square that full 20, then square will only be out $8 a copy. Unless they sold something like 500K copies in those 9 hours, I could see Square letting it slide if the error only costs them 1 or 2 Million. Especially since the extra copies sold will look good on their end of year balance sheets.

Edit. Pricing error lol.

Lets say FFXV was meant to sell at $60. Square would be getting 42 after Sony takes their cut. That would leave a $22 price discrepancy. Square would be losing 1M per 5000 copies sold. Even if Sony Waived their cut. My earlier optimism seems unfounded

yophlow

Banned

It seems like FFXV is meant to be onsale for around $40 of which $28 go to square. FFXV was sold for $20. If Sony is happy with their extra PS+ Subs and gives Square that full 20, then square will only be out $8 a copy. Unless they sold something like 500K copies in those 9 hours, I could see Square letting it slide if the error only costs them 1 or 2 Million. Especially since the extra copies sold will look good on their end of year balance sheets.

We'll never know for sure what the numbers look like on their end. If it's major damage they may try to refund. Otherwise, it's a bunch of easy sales for people who were not going to buy until it was discounted further anyway, with the chance of upselling to DLC later on. They could just give all that money back, but there's little chance anyone who impulse bought it will turn around and actually get the higher priced sale. It'll take another sale of this level to get me to buy again.

Or, they will just not say a word, leave as is and let the issue pass quietly. That's the smart move IMO.

Nozem

Edit. Pricing error lol.

Lets say FFXV was meant to sell at $60. Square would be getting 42 after Sony takes their cut. That would leave a $22 price discrepancy. Square would be losing 1M per 5000 copies sold. Even if Sony Waived their cut. My earlier optimism seems unfounded

You are not very good at this business thing.

check your math lol

also this isn't "losing" money. It's really not that simple

Freeman76

Edit. Pricing error lol.

Dont give up your day job lol

Ironically I saw the SE PR guy who handles FFXV Twitter account tweet about this deal but I think he has since deleted this tweet. So even SE seems to be clueless over this price error, lol.

jdstorm

Banned
You are not very good at this business thing.

Maybe not. However not having to pay any admin costs on refunds (plus potential legal costs in Europe should someone ask a government body to investigate further) and the costs may be mitigated.

Plus Square gets a small profit boost this financial year from customers who otherwise never would have bought their product.(And tbey get to brag about better sales numbers/digital revenue in EofY board meatings. In adition to more customers to sell DLC too

check your math lol

also this isn't "losing" money. It's really not that simple

Could be wrong. Was working off the AUD price. RRP 99.99 Assumed correct Sale price on a 40%Discount $59.99 Minus Sony's 30% cut ($18) would be $42. The FFXV reciept in my Inbox shows the sale price at $19.99AUD

Edit:
Wow my maths was off in my previous post by 1 decimal place. Probably better wait until i remember how to do basic multiplication before posting again lol

WITHE1982

Deal is back on, but without any Plus discount, just 40% for everyone. Which seems to confirm my guess that the double Plus discount was the mistake.

Shame as I was only tempted by the £9.99 price tag. Otherwise I'd never have given it a second glance.

So it's now available, after discount in the UK for £29.99... back to being more expensive then buying it physically.

Seems the universe has finally course corrected and normality has been restored.

Gotta love that premium for digital.

Joey Ravn

Banned

As far as I know, the store itself was not making any profit before that pricing error. Sure, it could have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but it certainly wasn't the only factor that led to the store closing down.

Besides, it's not like they couldn't have just revoked all those keys and refunded the exact amount of money people paid for the game instead of taking the hit. If they couldn't, that's more indicative of the bad state of the store before the accident than anything else.

As for this conundrum here... I'm willing to be that Sony is going to let it slide. If it had been free, like Fallout 4 a few months ago, I'd be 100% sure that they would revoke those licenses. But people (like myself) actually paid for the game this time, so it's not a total loss for Sony.

Wow my maths was off in my previous post by 1 decimal place. Probably better wait until i remember how to do basic multiplication before posting again lol

Yeah that's it :p

with everything considered I would say the "loss" is more in the 50k-100k range, and even that could be waaaaay off

Top Bottom