• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

I wonder if the hate the designs receive is some kind of "hidden" feelings that some people don't want to admit. It's disturbing tbh

What a strange insinuation. The hate the designs get is probably them not being all that great. I for one am more or less okay with the hair, faces, etc. but really dislike the Roen fashion excretions that the cast wears. Most high fashion is beyond me, but Roen in particular makes some really repugnant designs.

Teknoman

Well the battle theme is awesome confirmed. I really hope they dont go the no overworld theme music route though. That would be horrible.

rhandino

Banned
I'm not hiding anything. I'm not a huge fan of that "style" but it has more to do with the characters wearing the same-ish colors. I think the cast lacks the visual variety of previous Final Fantasy parties. I don't see how having personal taste toward certain styles or fashions, be it positive or negative, is "disturbing." It's a valid criticism for an individual to have, even if it's just to themselves. I certainly wouldn't like dock points or list it as a "con" if I were reviewing the game.
I think that I should have clarified that I was talking about the internet at large and not directed at you tbh. There is nothing wrong with no liking them but most people just say variations of "They are too pretty" which is amusing considering the series or in the case of a stream I was watching 'They should just kiss each other" which make my eyes roll to the other side of the earth.

It's totally fine if you don't like the designs because the aesthetics don't appeal to you. I actually like when people write WHY they don't like it and don't reduce their criticism to a one funny one-liner.

And tbh I found that this cast even while wearing the same color they all have very distinctive appearances thanks to body size, details in the cloths and hairstyle.

But there's this guy so it's all good

Is he playable =O

T.O.P

Banned
hah.. no.. it gives a hostboys feeling. they literally look exactly like "host" guys. nothing like yakuza at all.
hosa.jpg

Only thing i don't like about this game

But there's this guy so it's all good
cor_leonis___final_fantasy_xv_by_uxianxiii-d6mdqso.jpg

Teknoman

Would be nice if certain equipment changed character appearance...but they're probably just going for the Weapon + Accessory equipment route again...

At least we have a true overworld and hopefully real airship traversal...but I really miss having a range of items to equip, not just a weapon and a bangle/bracer/necklace/socks.

Rpgmonkey

Combat looks ok. Attacks have more "weight" to it than I expected. Nothing in particular stood out as amazing but it looks competent and encounters seem to have some degree of challenge to them, but I'll take that over a Kingdom Hearts-style combat system as I can never get into how those games play, so whatever.

I like that they're using the pointing hand cursor, nice little throwback.

Skinpop

Game looks dope! I love the animation, and battle seems much better than I expected.

Why is it morally corrupt? I don't know much about it.

it's based on manipulating emotionally weak people to fall in love with the host, so that they will buy wines for thousands of dollars at their bar.

usually their clients are prostitutes themselves, who while they make good money spend all of it on these hosts because they are so emotionally broken that it's the only way for them to feel some kind of love, even if it is all fake.

not mentioning that they drink heavily every single day, so most of them end up with fucked livers in a decade or so.

Teknoman

Small note, but any word on a fanfare variation? It would be nice if it worked similar to XII and they did a victory pose after a boss battle + fanfare.

I think that I should have clarified that I was talking about the internet at large and not directed at you tbh. There is nothing wrong with no liking them but most people just say variations of "They are too pretty" which is amusing considering the series or in the case of a stream I was watching 'They should just kiss each other" which make my eyes roll to the other side of the earth.

It's totally fine if you don't like the designs because the aesthetics don't appeal to you. I actually like when people write WHY they don't like it and don't reduce their criticism to a one funny one-liner.

And tbh I found that this cast even while wearing the same color they all have very distinctive appearances thanks to body size, details in the cloths and hairstyle.

Yeah I agree. I really like the series and the character designs don't bother me, not even the "pretty feminine boys" but you mention FF to some people and that's the first thing they bring up. It's just not something that bothers me but it does bother others.

I also don't think they look the exact same-- but compared to other FF casts, they are very similar in a few ways. I can tell them apart so it's not like they're clones of one another, but I definitely prefer the more colorful and diverse parties, even with different species. FF casts have always felt like they're a team of characters from all parts of their world and it makes what they're trying to defeat or achieve feel legit, like they've come together under a common clause.

Skilletor

These are some of my favorite designs in an RPG ever.

They look awesome and the animations so far show so much personality. Loving it. So much.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Of all the things to think about right now though, I'm oddly thinking about if they're going the licensed music route again for the ending theme of the international version.

I'm going to be spending hours just on the title screen aren't I?

They really need to release this as a dynamic theme. I would actually pay a few bucks for it. Gladly.

only 60% done? wtf

So basically this will be the only single player FF released during this console generation.

I think that 60% has happened... more recently. The game didn't get into its hardcore development back in 2006 or whenever it was shown.

This isn't a gauge for how many FF games there will be this gen. I mean, FFXIII took a while too but we got three of those lol

Philippo

Wasn't Phantom Sword simply a skill for the namesake weapon?
Now it even has a special "slot"(?) in the weapon selection screen (well, just the name and a weird symbol on the right) and during battles it appears below the select ability prompt.
Also they said something like "collecting phantom swords during the demo", so i'm not sure i'm getting what is it.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

Btw what instrument do you play? Have we heard you on today's tracks?

only 60% done? wtf

So basically this will be the only single player FF released during this console generation.

As it says in the OP;

It might not seem like too big of an increase from the game’s 55 percent completeness at the Tokyo Game Show, but the fact is it’s progressed a lot. Since the progress of game development isn’t finished up uniformly, there is a possibility it will increase quite a bit seemingly at once from here on out.

I also believe Tabata said that after the demo the game completion could potentially shoot right from 60% to 80% (which people say 80% would be their testing, tweaking of stuff, bug killing etc.)

You also have to remember that the 60% doesn't count for everything since 2006. It's probably 60% complete since it's revamp in 2012.

Ishida

Banned
Uhhh, what? I must have missed something, why am I not allowed to voice my opinion again?

Did I say you are not allowed? I just say it is ridiculous that we have been getting the same complains for 9 years. The funny part is that the people who complain won't be getting the game anyways, most likely.

I hope there's a way to remove that critical status system. Once your health is zero, you should be dead! I get the feeling this will make the game too easy.

aravuus

Did I say you are not allowed? I just say it is ridiculous that we have been getting the same complains for 9 years.

Certainly sounded like it! What's so ridiculous about it? Have you ever thought that maybe 9 years is such a long time, that new people are joining the waiting game all the time and notice that they don't like the character design? Do you think it's ridiculous they happen to mention this, because, what, you've known about the design for years?

The funny part is that the people who complain won't be getting the game anyways, most likely.

That's... Yeah, sure. Whatever dude. Jesus.

Falk

that puzzling face
post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

Btw what instrument do you play? Have we heard you on today's tracks?

For VGO stuff I'm generally recording and mixing engineer. That means I'm the guy who puts everything together at the end of the production process (and I get the grueling job of matching composer/orchestrator/client/audio director's expectations with usually many iterations of feedback. Basically nothing leaves my desk until everyone's happy)

I gave up playing instruments a long time ago - found that my time and talents were better invested elsewhere.

(note: not
yet
saying we were or were not involved in the music for the demo or anything other than the two trailers where VGO has openly said we're involved in.)

Bousf

The thought of SE launching FFXV in September 2016 and dropping XII HD around April/May 2016 to ease the wait makes me cry in joy. Not gonna happen though xD

60% at this point with bits and pieces of the remaining stuff already done, so I say this game is 2016, even if December 2016 lol

Regarding the clothes, I still think the whole all-black attires seems bland to me, but at least there is a pattern and everyone surrounding the main cast wears black, so if there is a logical reason behind that I can kinda dig it. Plus, they can give us crazy good designs through other characters :)

Philippo

For VGO stuff I'm generally recording and mixing engineer. That means I'm the guy who puts everything together at the end of the production process (and I get the grueling job of matching composer/orchestrator/client/audio director's expectations with usually many iterations of feedback. Basically nothing leaves my desk until everyone's happy)

I gave up playing instruments a long time ago - found that my time and talents were better invested elsewhere.

(note: not
yet
saying we were or were not involved in the music for the demo or anything other than the two trailers where VGO has openly said we're involved in.)

Wow seems like something big, i'm sure Goddess Shimomura is like "meh this falk guy blew up the mixing of my Somnus he's gonna pay for that" lol

Also didn't you guys recorded the Jump Festa track? That's the Night Battle Theme ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My favorite thing about this game is the "traveling group" aspect. Yeah, this is done in pretty much every RPG, but seeing them sitting around campfires at night, being able to go fishing, just things like that make it feel so much more "epic" to me. It gives me heavy Fellowship of the Ring vibes, for example. Again most of them do this and have did this very well in most instances, but the actual scale of the environments and visuals and actually being able to see them sitting around a fire instead of just selecting TENT is really cool.

Top Bottom