• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Gameplay (XB1 & PS4 demos), Battle System, Night & Map Shown

Ff12 is overrated to hell on here. Gameplay was cool, but the story and characters, which ff I'd known for was the worse...

The characters were great. The story kind of lost steam near the end, but it was still really well written for a Final Fantasy game (and it's the only well-voiced RPG I've ever played). As for it being the worst, they're all pretty bad if you want to get downright critical.

nib95

Banned
ytwDCDARZGJSjNDVzG.gif
This looks awesome. Though I do hope there is some challenge to these NPC's and they're not all just complete easy fodder.

But with that huge of a world, I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of hunting outside of story sequences. If I'm able to run and throw a potion and call it a day, that kind of throws away any sense of intensity and urgency. Yeah, you have that equivalent of 13-2's blood damage, but dying is much less of a threat than in previous FFs. I do appreciate the Type-0 levels of damage, but they don't feel nearly as dangerous because of the lack of immediate consequence for "dying".

Maybe folks will create YouTube videos highlighting the abusive nature of it and SE will tweak it. So once we get the demo next month let's see how it feels and then we do YouTube videos and make it known to Hazmer and Co. Plus people like kagari and Jason can make articles about it so I feel confident if it's problem of course.

But with that huge of a world, I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of hunting outside of story sequences. If I'm able to run and throw a potion and call it a day, that kind of throws away any sense of intensity and urgency. Yeah, you have that equivalent of 13-2's blood damage, but dying is much less of a threat than in previous FFs. I do appreciate the Type-0 levels of damage, but they don't feel nearly as dangerous because of the lack of immediate consequence for "dying".

Less of a death threat and more of a challenge. Running away and healing means you don't get to fight the enemy.

I understand what you mean, but saying other FF games had more of a threat is just straight up wrong. At least in this one you might have to run from battles every now and then...

Corgi

Banned
weird that it doesnt' seem like noct has any aoe moves. Whats the point of musou levels of enemies when you are so poor at handling that amount of folks?

nib95

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;152914313 said:
Watch the rest of that encounter.

Watching now. But damn this is a long video. Do you have a time stamp to the encounter? Either way, the game is looking great!

chadboban

This looks awesome. Though I do hope there is some challenge to these NPC's and they're not all just complete easy fodder.

You really should watch the rest of that fight.
Noctis had to run away because they were getting utterly destroyed.

Dark_castle

By the way, from what we have seen of Duscae so far, I really hope that it doesn't become the template for the rest of the game's world. I just hope it's a beginner area thing, because it really does feel a little too flat on design and lack a certain flair to it. I mean, I don't expect the level of Xenoblade world design, but at least have some variety in the landscape design, more natural obstacles and flora and fauna. Duscae plain literally is plain from the walkthrough, so hoping that the other area is more interesting in design, more uneven ground and stuff, or that final game will see better design of Duscae, unlikely though.

Less of a death threat and more of a challenge. Running away and healing means you don't get to fight the enemy.

I understand what you mean, but saying other FF games had more of a threat is just straight up wrong. At least in this one you might have to run from battles every now and then...
Yeah, you take more damage from enemies than in other FFs except maybe Type-0, but what's the point if I can run and heal even when I'm dead? The system seems way too forgiving.

By the way, from what we have seen of Duscae so far, I really hope that it doesn't become the template for the rest of the game's world. I just hope it's a beginner area thing, because it really does feel a little too flat on design and lack a certain flair to it. I mean, I don't expect the level of Xenoblade world design, but at least have some variety in the landscape design, more natural obstacles and flora and fauna. Duscae plain literally is plain from the walkthrough, so hoping that the other area is more interesting in design, more uneven ground and stuff, or that final game will see better design of Duscae, unlikely though.

It seems that the Duscae region is early game. They have been saying this for a little while now. So I wouldn't worry about seeing varied locations.

Skilletor

Yeah, you take more damage from enemies than in other FFs except maybe Type-0, but what's the point if I can run and heal even when I'm dead? The system seems way too forgiving.

It's an open world game, so I'm assuming you can save any time you want, so how is running away and healing any different than loading your nearest save when you die?

I mean, unless you heal and the enemy doesn't, in which case, that would be stupid.

cackhyena

They need to work on having the other characters focus on important things. When that ship is hovering and dropping dudes, the one guy (don't know their names) doesn't even look up. You can see it throughout battles as well from time to time. They just look like they are tethered to you in some way without a thought of their own.

Corgi

Banned
rewatching some of it... is there any strategy involved besides running away and healing and parrying and comboing away?

Did they mention anything about party system?

Can you switch player controlled party members?

Can one person aggro while others dps/heal?

Just seems like the party members are just there for decoration kinda like in Kingdom Hearts.

Yeah, because when they make the game hard people complain. They did it with FFXIII (FFXIII-2 became easy), and they did with Type-0 (apparently, there were full articles written on how that game was too difficult, so now the HD version is a lot easier). And Type-0 you still had 14 characters to go through before you got a game over.

The system is forgiving because they won't make a hard game. Seriously, don't expect that. Expect some harder optional bosses at best.

SougoXIII

You can run away and heal yourself but it doesn't change the fact that you got your ass handed to you, something that most FF couldn't even accomplish outside of secret super bosses battle and FFXIII. The mob's health will probably reset as well so it doesn't mean that the challenge will be any less when you return. I for one, welcome the less punishing nature. Just because the game is forgiving doesn't mean that it's easy.

^ FF12 had tough marks, and though you could run away, your party dying actually meant they were dying. Can't rmb if the mobs heal when you leave the zone.

It's an open world game, so I'm assuming you can save any time you want, so how is running away and healing any different than loading your nearest save when you die?

I mean, unless you heal and the enemy doesn't, in which case, that would be stupid.
I don't think the enemy healed when Noctis hit 0 HP. At least, I don't think I saw them healing. I'm also not sure if there's some kind of blood damage tonic like in 13-2.

Gbraga

They're going to turn around and show us the real protagonist designs soon and admit these ones were just a big practical joke right?

Right?

Gladio is here to stay, you gotta deal with it.

Yeah, because when they make the game hard people complain. They did it with FFXIII (FFXIII-2 became easy), and they did with Type-0 (apparently, there were full articles written on how that game was too difficult, so now the HD version is a lot easier). And Type-0 you still had 14 characters to go through before you got a game over.

The system is forgiving because they won't make a hard game. Seriously, don't expect that. Expect some harder optional bosses at best.

I can see where they're coming from... Too bad, FFXIII's combat was delicious, and XIII-2 ruined it by being too easy.

Dark_castle

It seems that the Duscae region is early game. They have been saying this for a little while now. So I wouldn't worry about seeing varied locations.

The one glimmer of hope is the crimson skies area seen in TGS trailer with some strange mechanical structure in the background, which led me there are other wild and interesting locale out there, though unsure if that red area was in Duscae or not.

I get the feeling that after getting KO'd is an MMO-esque "weakened" status. In FF precedent that means slower movement, reduced HP/MP and much slower attack speed. Depending on the situation and skill you can either be bold/ stupid and fight it out from that point, or in a game like this the idea is I'm sure to try to get away and recover naturally.

Up to the player if they'll want to wait out a normal recovery time or just fight it out or die and walk back. It allows options, at least, depending on your progress. It adds an exciting bonus element to situations like "noooo, the boss was at like 1%!"

BlackJace

Still kind of iffy on the combat. Looks rather simple: get a hard combo in, parry/dodge, rinse and repeat.

Wonder what bosses/superbosses look like.

I can see where they're coming from... Too bad, FFXIII's combat was delicious, and XIII-2 ruined it by being too easy.
The biggest loss from the mindless hate XIII receives is that its battles will never be remembered.

A shame, but I doubt they'll try that again.

Is it too much to hope for dual audio on release?
They said they would try, but there could be disc limitations and stuff...

They'll probably release it as (hopefully free) DLC.

Geg

Looks great. The only thing I'm disappointed in is no field/overworld music, hopefully that's in the finished version.

Though the main reason I hate day/night cycles in games is because the music always stops at night, so this solves that problem I guess lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The character design is incredibly off-putting. It's honestly repellent. Christ.

The biggest loss from the mindless hate XIII receives is that its battles will never be remembered.

Yeah, but on one hand I do like for FF games to have their own feel, and at least XIII had amazingly fun combat. And we got three of those. Lightning Returns was probably the most fun I've actually had playing an RPG. It's by no means my favorite RPG ever, but it was a blast to play. It's cool to see FFXV borrowing some from XII but also implementing a more action-driven style. Hopefully they make that feel unique to FFXV.

legacyzero

Banned
I am honestly awe-struck by how great this game looks.

The character design is incredibly off-putting. It's honestly repellent. Christ.

Never played a JRPG before, eh?

Yeah, but on one hand I do like for FF games to have their own feel, and at least XIII had amazingly fun combat. And we got three of those. Lightning Returns was probably the most fun I've actually had playing an RPG. It's by no means my favorite RPG ever, but it was a blast to play. It's cool to see FFXV borrowing some from XII but also implementing a more action-driven style. Hopefully they make that feel unique to FFXV.

I thought I knew you, breh....

I tried to like XIII, I really did. Even bought it on PC, JUST to support SE paying more love to the platform. But yeah, in my efforts to try and give the game another fair shot, It came up trash every time. There is nothing redeemable about XIII's battle system to me. Actually, I would call it all counter-productive to what a great battle system is.

- Auto-battle
- Lightning goes down, Game Over (Toriyama smiles)
- THAT FUCKING STAGGER SYSTEM
- Potions heal all party members.

+ It sure is pretty
+ Paradigm seems like it could work, if the rest of the system wasn't crap.

Innolis

Designs are OK imo...if anything Nomura really scaled back on the belts and useless accessories, its actually refreshing!

I thought I knew you, breh....

I tried to like XIII, I really did. Even bought it on PC, JUST to support SE paying more love to the platform. But yeah, in my efforts to try and give the game another fair shot, It came up trash every time. There is nothing redeemable about XIII's battle system to me. Actually, I would call it all counter-productive to what a great battle system is.

- Auto-battle
- Lightning goes down, Game Over (Toriyama smiles)
- THAT FUCKING STAGGER SYSTEM
- Potions heal all party members.

+ It sure is pretty
+ Paradigm seems like it could work, if the rest of the system wasn't crap.

Yep, especially on the stagger system. Completely destroyed the pace of battles with even the simplest enemies and really didn't add much in the way of tactical depth beyond prolonging fights. I'm actually really excited that XV's combat is seamless and ends as quickly as you can dispatch a foe.

Top Bottom