• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Previews/Impressions Thread

Randy

Could you explain a bit more?

How does combat feel or compared to?

Extremely Hype w0ot!

I love that this is the consensus. Music to my ears!

It's obviously a bit more hack'n'slash and all real-time, but it feels very RPG-like. The main concern you'll have when in combat is mana regeneration. No mana, no dodging. And when you know that (in the demo at least) you'll be fighting 5-20 enemies (buffalos + hounds + imperial troops) at the same time, then you realize how important handling your mana is. Going in with "dodge" activated all the time will just play in your disadvantage.

The parry button has to be pressed twice, one time to effectively block the attack and one time to counter-attack. When a party member is low on health, you just run to him and press X to give him a health boost.

Your summonable weapons can be placed in a certain order, so there's quite a bit of playing around with combos. On top of that, you can switch special attacks during combat in a very smooth way.

I don't know if there was a quick-button for potions, but I just went (smoothly) into the menu and used a couple. Especially at night (and since it was my first time playing) the fights are quite hard. The little goblins in particular are nasty little buggers.

The demo is quite big too. I played for about an hour and saw only a small portion of the map. The demo covers about 5%, so I was told. The Square employee also said, and I quote: "I think XV will be a bigger game than VII." Perhaps a very bold statement, but nonetheless, I was very impressed. He also said that there were a lot of surprises to discover in the demo.

That's all I'm gonna say for now. The demo is just around the corner and it's always more fun to experience those things first hand.

SPAW

The demo is quite big too. I played for about an hour and saw only a small portion of the map. The demo covers about 5%, so I was told. The Square employee also said, and I quote: "I think XV will be a bigger game than VII." Perhaps a very bold statement, but nonetheless, I was very impressed. He also said that there were a lot of surprises to discover in the demo.

That's our OT title right there

It's obviously a bit more hack'n'slash and all real-time, but it feels very RPG-like. The main concern you'll have when in combat is mana regeneration. No mana, no dodging. And when you know that (in the demo at least) you'll be fighting 5-20 enemies (buffalos + hounds + imperial troops) at the same time, then you realize how important handling your mana is. Going in with "dodge" activated all the time will just play in your disadvantage.

The parry button has to be pressed twice, one time to effectively block the attack and one time to counter-attack. When a party member is low on health, you just run to him and press X to give him a health boost.

Your summonable weapons can be placed in a certain order, so there's quite a bit of playing around with combos. On top of that, you can switch special attacks during combat in a very smooth way.

I don't know if there was a quick-button for potions, but I just went (smoothly) into the menu and used a couple. Especially at night (and since it was my first time playing) the fights are quite hard. The little goblins in particular are nasty little buggers.

That's all I'm gonna say for now. The demo is just around the corner and it's always more fun to experience those things first hand.

Thanks for the impressions.

The battle system seems to be really designed around fighting multiple enemies. And at the final game you will be managing all that + magic (and possibly AI/Co-op attacks).

I wonder how many of those "surprises" were not already spoiled =X

Unfortunately I think FF sequels are here to stay. They invest so much time and money in these FF games, they want to reuse as many assets as possible.

That's not a reasonable answer to me. Considering to all they are tweaking the assets as we speak, they could reuse them any way they see fit, even within a NEW installment. I mean, quite frankly, more than one FF game features pine trees, and reusing those assets in future games isn't something I wouldn't consider a problem. And you could polish the existing assets up, apply new texture or details to make it looks slightly different. And to be honest, could care less if FFXVI features a world with the same grass blades, pine trees, cacti or dirt textures if it means the world is still a "new" world, story-wise. I mean, just thinkin off the top of my head, all these FF worlds feature "pine trees":

ff5t097tl.png

final_fantasy_vi_advance.jpg

original.png

FF8-0087-Timber-Train-Robbery.png

Final_Fantasy_IX_%28PSX%29_33.png

As does FFXV:

Point being, future FF worlds might indeed also have pine trees. Not all FF worlds have to push the bounds of surrealism like FFX and FFXIII do. It aligns with my earlier point(which was much earlier in the thread) about the majority of FF worlds being "earth-like", with earth-like plants and animals(hell, dogs, cats and animals like sheep still live in these worlds).

pszet0

Banned

1315.gif

nod-version-editingandlayout-johnson-jeremiah.gif

I'm so hype for this hnnnnnggggg! luckily i bought a code on the buy&sell thread

Ceravic

latest

wmlk

I love these first time impressions. I think they'll align with when we play the game (or demo) for the first time.

I'm going to ignore the SE employee part. We heard similar claims with FFXIII. Shills gonna shill!

Geg

In terms of like side quests and extra stuff to do haven't there been plenty of FF games bigger than VII? XII immediately comes to mind

edit: Oh I see he means bigger as in more popular

The "bigger game than VII" statement doesn't surprise considering Tabata has already said he's trying to make this the best FF ever.

I really like how they balanced the dodging stance mechanic so that overuse can lead to trouble quite easily.

I'm guessing the 5% is in regards to the map size and not actual content?

Nibel

Tweeted this post with the quote from the SE rep

Biggest mistake tbh lol

But yeah, thanks for this small writeup. Appreciated.

Happy_gif.gif

We've waited so long for this game but have faith that it will all have been worth it! :D

wmlk

I think he means the size of the game world

Or I suck at detecting your sarcasm

Probably the latter.

But tweeting it out is really making it a bigger deal than it really is lol. SE employees are paid to sell people on their games.

Falk

that puzzling face
Probably the latter.

But tweeting it out is really making it a bigger deal than it really is lol. SE employees are paid to sell people on their games.

It's actually possible to believe in the products you're working on jfyi.

in before lightning returns

wmlk

It's actually possible to believe in the products you're working on jfyi.

in before lightning returns
But what about Lightning Returns?????

Anyway, I would hope that a PS4 FF being nuch bigger than a PS1 FF doesn't come as a surprise.

Nibel

Since I never played FVII - is it really that huge? Or are the others (8,9 etc) bigger (which I assume)?

Weird that they chose exactly that title to make a comparison. Or maybe because they assume fans like it the most? (not saying that they do though lol)

Vire

Since I never played FVII - is it really that huge? Or are the others (8,9 etc) bigger (which I assume)?

Weird that they chose exactly that title to make a comparison. Or maybe because they assume fans like it the most? (not saying that they do though lol)
It's just nonsense marketing speak.

The equivalent of saying it's gonna be bigger than Jesus.

In terms of impact FFVII is the GOAT of the series, that's all they meant nothing more nothing less..Although my favorite is VIII

wmlk

FFVII is the most successful single-player FF. It's the most popular FF by far. It's one of the most popular games of all time.

Bigger really doesn't mean much when the only "open" area in the older FF games was the world map/overworld. The world map from older FFs was scaled down for traversal, so obviously FFXV is going to be bigger since everything is in 1:1 scale and it's a throwback to previous FFs.

It's a dumb comparison.

Not sure if you're joking but I actually think that could happen when they play their cards right. XV definitely has a massive awareness from non-RPG/non-FF fans.

I'm being serious and the non-rpg crowd seems super interested. This could be the perfect storm for SE and Sony.

Athreous

No, why should they be able to do that?

Cuz i read this and looks like it =(

Originally Posted by Randy

FerDS

It's so bizarre that the game is available for preorder everywhere except on NA PSN, I don't understand how that would come to happen

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's so bizarre that the game is available for preorder everywhere except on NA PSN, I don't understand how that would come to happen

I'm trying to find an appropriate image to highlight the situation but have so far failed.

Edit:

ibcdjhcEWrF2LK.gif

Top Bottom