• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV interview: Tabata talks delays, Versus, fan expectation and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

all i recall is she's reflected in the Regalia's trimmings and then the reflection suddenly disappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpFD6Hcx-Fc#t=5m25s

KUSOGE

This is what I mean, the better one is XB1 version (English version) and worse is PS4 (Japanese version):

lhWC2Y8.png

Swufoaz.png

(the texture is not worse, it just took longer to load on PS4)

Tyaren

The Japanese gameplay video also had some texture loading issues, see Cindy's jacket in the beginning when she appears and compare to the 50 minute video.

Do you think the image I posted was a case of textures not properly loading or are they just so terrible on alternate outfits? :/ It didn't load back in this shot...but it only lasted maybe two or three seconds.

DrBretto

Banned
@jasonschreier
Just spent two hours with Final Fantasy XV. It's kinda ugly and janky, yet... incredibly good? I am way on board with this game.​

I can't take anyone who uses the work "Janky" seriously anymore (this is why people keep accusing people of having a hive mind, so many of you use the same dumb buzzwords). But, good to know. Presumably, that's the kind of thing the delay is supposed to fix.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can't take anyone who uses the work "Janky" seriously anymore (this is why people keep accusing people of having a hive mind, so many of you use the same dumb buzzwords). But, good to know. Presumably, that's the kind of thing the delay is supposed to fix.
What's wrong with the word janky? It means glitchy and kind of broken. Seems informative to me!

Nya

He also tweeted:

@jasonschreier

"In short: Combat feels great; music is excellent; exploring is a lot of fun; story has good potential; writing is... well, it's a JRPG."

That's all I care about to be honest. I have high hopes for the story after Kingsglaive so hearing that the combat feels great and its actually fun gets me even more excited for November.

DrBretto

Banned
What's wrong with the word janky? It means glitchy and kind of broken. Seems informative to me!

It's a lazy catch-all and different people are using it differently because it's poorly defined. For ever poster that uses it right, 20 trolls parrot it without knowing what it means, it's just become a catch-all phrase for "There's something about this I don't like but I'm too lazy to define/describe it"

.JayZii

Banned
Everybody know what janky means, though. You also make it sound like it was just invented or something.

Mediking

Anybody else hoping there is still some kind of relationship gameplay mechanic with Luna?

Edit:
That's assuming my prediction that Luna and Noctis are brother and sister is not true...

DrBretto

Banned
Everybody know what janky means, though. You also make it sound like it was just invented or something.

Your reading that last part on your own. I said "anymore" meaning the word is being ruined by people who don't know what it means.

If you're trying to evaluate something and you know what you're talking about, you need to define it more than "janky" because it can mean a lot of things. It's fine in conversation, but I don't like it when someone from the media uses it. It makes them sound like some random poster.

Gbraga

While I totally get what he means by "writing is... well, it's a JRPG", from the amount I was able to experience through demos and videos, I found the party banter to be pretty well written, actually.

I'm sure the cutscenes and main plot will have some of the crazy bullshit that we all know and love, but the party banter was on point, as it should be in order to properly convey this road trip with close friends theme.

Great to know about exploration being fun, though, I hope he elaborates on that. This is very tricky to get right, so I'm wondering what they're doing to make it interesting.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It still seems strange to see a final fantasy game getting criticized for it graphics though... they used to be some of the best looking games on their respective systems. They used to be known as visual showcases. My how the times have changed. :(

Skilletor

Your reading that last part on your own. I said "anymore" meaning the word is being ruined by people who don't know what it means.

If you're trying to evaluate something and you know what you're talking about, you need to define it more than "janky" because it can mean a lot of things. It's fine in conversation, but I don't like it when someone from the media uses it. It makes them sound like some random poster.

I mean... It's a tweet. Not a review. 140 characters.

DrewM1788

Probably has more to do with it being a Twitter post and him having only 140 characters to get his point across.

OrionX

Anybody else hoping there is still some kind of relationship gameplay mechanic with Luna?

Edit:
That's assuming my prediction that Luna and Noctis are brother and sister is not true...

I just wish she'd join the party at least briefly. I'm really curious to see how much Luna and Noctis actually interact with each other. I like that they haven't shown anything spoilery between them but I hope it's not because there isn't much to show.

.JayZii

Banned
While I totally get what he means by "writing is... well, it's a JRPG", from the amount I was able to experience through demos and videos, I found the party banter to be pretty well written, actually.

I'm sure the cutscenes and main plot will have some of the crazy bullshit that we all know and love, but the party banter was on point, as it should be in order to properly convey this road trip with close friends theme.

Great to know about exploration being fun, though, I hope he elaborates on that. This is very tricky to get right, so I'm wondering what they're doing to make it interesting.
It's always interesting to see what stories and writing that game writers find juvenile and which they praise.

Nya

Maybe I am used to JRPGs but I didn't think the script or the writing was that bad, at least not Type-0 kind of bad.

Mediking

I just wish she'd join the party at least briefly. I'm really curious to see how much Luna and Noctis actually interact with each other. I like that they haven't shown anything spoilery between them but I hope it's not because there isn't much to show.

Would love to see Noctis behave super nervous and all happy around Luna. They've been close since kids. He better not be a Squall or Cloud 2.0 around Luna.

sappyday

It still seems strange to see a final fantasy game getting criticized for it graphics though... they used to be some of the best looking games on their respective systems. They used to be known as visual showcases. My how the times have changed. :(
They also weren't known for being blunders for a whole generation. The times changed a long time ago.

Geg

I've seen conflicting reports about Luna being a guest party member, I don't know what to believe anymore

theofficefan99

Maybe I am used to JRPGs but I didn't think the script or the writing was that bad, at least not Type-0 kind of bad.

Some of it just doesn't sound natural at all. In fact, IMO, most of the dialogue I've seen doesn't flow that well. Like, no one fucking talks like that.

I don't understand why this even happens, like this is probably the most important game SE is going to release thus far and you're not making sure that your writing/localization is top-notch????

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still say FF games being "graphical showcases" really only happened once or twice.

FFVII was groundbreaking in terms of pre-rendered CG, FFX was groundbreaking in terms of real-time facial expressions, and FFXIII was really polished looking graphics in HD.

All the rest looked great. But just par for the course in their era. And I think FFXV will be the same.

Ishida

Banned
Some of it just doesn't sound natural at all. In fact, IMO, most of the dialogue I've seen doesn't flow that well. Like, no one fucking talks like that.

I don't understand why this even happens, like this is probably the most important game SE is going to release thus far and you're not making sure that your writing/localization is top-notch????

Very few games contain dialogue that sounds like "how people actually talk like".

99% of games feature extremely unnatural dialogue.

OrionX

Would love to see Noctis behave super nervous and all happy around Luna. They've been close since kids. He better not be a Squall or Cloud 2.0 around Luna.

Yeah definitely don't want him to be all gloomy. That's partly why Tidus and Yuna are my favorite FF couple, despite all the darkness around them they're not all moody with each other. (Not trying to start an otp war :p)

Yeah I remember reading that. Who knows what's true at this point lol I just hope she plays a significant role, since they apparently had to rewrite a character for her.

DrBretto

Banned
Yeah definitely don't want him to be all gloomy. That's partly why Tidus and Yuna are my favorite FF couple, despite all the darkness around them they're not all moody with each other. (Not trying to start an otp war :p)

Yeah I remember reading that. Who knows what's true at this point lol I just hope she plays a significant role, since they apparently had to rewrite a character for her.

This game's entire development in a nutshell, lol.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm hoping that XVI can return to being a polished "graphical showcase" kind of a game. I just can't wait to see a new Final Fantasy game that is developed without being weighed down with a decade of baggage.
I still say FF games being "graphical showcases" really only happened once or twice.

FFVII was groundbreaking in terms of pre-rendered CG, FFX was groundbreaking in terms of real-time facial expressions, and FFXIII was really polished looking graphics in HD.

All the rest looked great. But just par for the course in their era. And I think FFXV will be the same.
A lot of FF games have looked great, but I think most of that reputation comes from the ripples of FFVII.
I don't trust a word that that Erren Van Duine writes.

Nya

I don't know, it felt odd at first but was fine as it went along. I don't like the English voice acting but I didn't think the flow was bad for example I like Ardyn's lines a lot and I thought they fit his character. I've seen a lot of dumb/childish writing in JRPGs and FFXV wasn't nearly as bad, its still not like TLOU or Uncharted 4's level of writing but the bantering and the conversations didn't feel off like they do in other JRPGs.

Skilletor

This may be unpopular opinion but I don't think FFXV looks ugly. It just needs a little polish

I think it will be a beautiful game if it gets a PC release. Console IQ smears vaseline all over the image.

Animations in the game are amazing to me, though. Some of the sickest stuff I've ever seen. Love the teammates personalities and friendship shown through all the unique animations.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm hoping that XVI can return to being a polished "graphical showcase" kind of a game. I just can't wait to see a new Final Fantasy game that is developed without being weighed down with a decade of baggage.

A lot of FF games have looked great, but I think most of that reputation comes from the ripples of FFVII.

I don't trust a word that that Erren Van Duine writes.
Hi.

paolo11

I think it will be a beautiful game if it gets a PC release. Console IQ smears vaseline all over the image.

Animations in the game are amazing to me, though. Some of the sickest stuff I've ever seen. Love the teammates personalities and friendship shown through all the unique animations.

Oh man. I would love to get a PC version. Hopefully a 1080GTX can run it 1080p 60fps max settings.

Ydelnae

September 21th said:
Luna shows up as a guest party member in Final Fantasy XV

Tabata did mention that we will see Luna fight – her battle will be as a guest party member. But unlike Cor joining your battle, you will actually join hers at some point in the game.

March 30th said:
You will not be able to play as Luna in combat, or fight alongside her.

Despite her large role in the story, Luna will not be your pal in battle. But the team hopes that people find her lovable, and they feel she will appeal to players easily. She will play a huge part in Kingsglaive.

efnFtH0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom