• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is now just one month away. Place your bets: will it be good?

spekkeh

Banned
I expect twelve GAF threads on how it is the worst game ever. So given the popularity of the game this translates to an 81 metacritic.

As for the quality of the game I expect it to start out well and then get increasingly overlong (all the reviews will ignore this) and ridiculous (some reviews will mention this). In the end most people will force themselves to finish the game. The OT is filled with people playing it four times in a row.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I think it will be divisive. The focus on down time, no fast travel and relative sparseness of the world will turn some people off.

But all of those aspects are perfect for me, so I'm personally excited. I expect it's going to be refreshing to have a game that understands the value of space after years of the usual AAA habit of constantly throwing stuff in your face because they're terrified that their imaginary Monster chugging audience of adolescents might get bored for a second.

Im thinking hight 80s maybe even 90s but fans will be devisive. Tons of dissapointed folks.

Its gonna be MGSV all over again

If this game scores as well as Phantom Pain then Square Enix will dance naked in the streets and Tabata would tattoo the metacritic score to his forehead, and deservedly so. Im expecting something like 85, which is obviously a really good score but there will be the handful of crazy people that pretend like its a bad score.

Zemm

Everyone seems to be a lot more optimistic about it than me. I think it'll end up somewhere in the 70's. Decent at best.

crimilde

Banned
Okay I'll be super positive about this. I'm predicting high 80s or even low 90s metascore and the majority will love it. GOTY!

Tyaren

Everyone seems to be a lot more optimistic about it than me. I think it'll end up somewhere in the 70's. Decent at best.

That would mean it would be the worst rated mainline Final Fantasy. That's imo awfully pessimistic considering all previews were positive to very positive and FFXV is set to right many of Final Fantasy XIII's wrongs. Final Fantasy XIII stands at 83% by the way.

JBwB

If you haven't been keeping tabs on the game then it's understandable why you and others feel this way at the moment.

The previews coupled with the recently released trailer have done wonders to raise people's hopes that the game will be good.

Zemm

I have kept tabs on the game (previews mean little to me) and everything I've seen did nothing for me, the demo I played was awful. It won't be worse than FF13, that's impossible, but it still may review worse because scores have generally deflated over the past few years.

Koozek

~88/89 MC.

Will be loved for its ambitiousness, its huge, beautiful, and varied world (as many previews praised highly, especially Jeremy Parish's), and generally considered a very needed and successful step in the right direction for the series, laying a great foundation for future titles.

Eje3Hn4.gif

I think it'll be another FFXII. Western influenced, will review reasonably well, appeal to people who aren't traditional fans of the series but initially disappoint the fans. In playthroughs years later fans will accept they were harsh on it due to expectation and appreciate it for what it is.
I don't think there's anything to suggest FF returning to the glory days of VI-X, unfortunately I think those are gone forever.

hohoXD123

Reckon it'll be 80-85, good but not a must buy. It's strange how FFvsXIII was my most anticipated game for years and now that it is basically a month away I'm not that hyped. Guess my hype has an expiration date.

JBwB

I have kept tabs on the game (previews mean little to me) and everything I've seen did nothing for me, the demo I played was awful. It won't be worse than FF13, that's impossible, but it still may review worse because scores have generally deflated over the past few years.

Ah, well carry on then haha.

Reviewers have definitely been harsher with their scoring of games lately. But even so, I highly doubt XV will score lower than XIII.

sublimit

Banned
I think it will be a mixed bag for me.It will probably have things that i love and things i'll hate.Hopefully the former will overcome the later.

TDLink

The combat in the platinum demo was simply not fun imo. It was janky and didn't flow smoothly. If they didn't fix that then they have a major problem. Yeah I am sure it clicked with some people, every game always will have some people it clicks with, but if it is hard for most people to pick up and play it's going to be an issue. I found both Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia to be much more fluid and fun than this battle system. Admittedly, maybe it gets better as you get further and get more abilities, I'm not sure yet. But who knows how long it will take to get there, and my understanding is you already have more abilities in the demo than you start with.

I also expect the story to be awful.

I think the world design looks fantastic. I want to explore a lot of the places we've seen in art and trailers (assuming those areas are as explorable as they made it seem). Enemy design also looks good and I like the concept of the road trip/driving around in the car.

Soundtrack I am sure will be top notch also.

Technical aspects I expect to be falling short of expectations.

So I guess...conceptually good but the execution not great, overall an alright experience but not amazing. Probably a 7.5/10 experience that will get 9/10 review scores just because of the name and anticipation.

Oh and the DLC Season pass is atrocious.

UrbanRats

I hope it will be, but after MGSV, i'm wary of hyping up big releases.
I think that, if its fails, it'll fail hard though, no half measures... becuase of the expectations.

bunkitz

It will be great. I firmly believe it will be up there among the higher scoring Final Fantasy games, and I'm very excited for the game. However, at the same time, I am still totally open to the idea that it might not do as well as some may hope. But, hey, it's got Sakaguchi's approval, and the ending is supposedly really good, and everyone's been loving the latest builds so far, so yeah, I really think it'll do great.

True Fire

You can tell who has and has not been following this game. All of the previews have been fantastic, the graphics are now up to par, and the combat has been fine tuned, so unless the endgame is a ridiculous mess I'm sure it'll be well received.

kromeo

I expect to like the game well enough but hate the characters. Still worried the open world looks kind of dull as well

TDLink

It will certainly be unprecedented and unmatched in the JRPG genre when it comes to scale x production values.

Maybe even for a looong time...

I dunno man. Just from a pure open world standpoint I'm not sure it's going to top Xenoblade X. It definitely will beat it in cutscenes I guess.

Airan

I'm a bit concerned about the stability of it. Even during Paris Games Week this week it crashed on stage. And it's gone gold. Doesn't bode well.

Windam

Scaley member
At this point, I don't care. Part of me wants it to be 11/10 and nothing else, and part of me wants it to be godawful for no real reason. Really though, it's been a decade and I just want my red combat eyes and
STELLAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Considering that many folks have played the entire first XV hours of the game (seriously, how many games give previewers this big a chunk to check out? That's longer than many AAA games in their entirety), and almost all of the previews have been positive to extremely positive (often with grudging surprise at that), I think the game is going to be solid and review very well.

I don't play the metacritic guessing game, but I'll be very surprised if XV isn't generally viewed as a return to form post XIII. In conjunction with XIV 2.0, it could really dispel some of the gloom that's been hanging over the series.

As for long term fans, people who have a serious emotional investment in hating XV will find ways to do so. People who are just skeptical may be turned...

Koozek

I'm a bit concerned about the stability of it. Even during Paris Games Week this week it crashed on stage. And it's gone gold. Doesn't bode well.
That was because of the console overheating which is a common problem with consoles in closed boxes (for security) at gaming expos. Otherwise the games seems to be pretty stable, no one mentioned hard crashes anymore in the previews and the framerate is quite smooth too with rare drops:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/p5VcLDi.png[/IMG]

And that's still not the final build, so expect even more improvements.

Koozek

The combat in the platinum demo was simply not fun imo. It was janky and didn't flow smoothly. If they didn't fix that then they have a major problem. Yeah I am sure it clicked with some people, every game always will have some people it clicks with, but if it is hard for most people to pick up and play it's going to be an issue. I found both Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia to be much more fluid and fun than this battle system. Admittedly, maybe it gets better as you get further and get more abilities, I'm not sure yet. But who knows how long it will take to get there, and my understanding is you already have more abilities in the demo than you start with.
I take it you haven't checked out the recent previews?^^ Pretty much the one common statement in all of them was how much better the combat feels now than in the demos before and many that were skeptical before made a 180 degree turn on it. It's almost one of the best-received elements now next to the beautiful, varied world.

Check out the newest previews:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1296477

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AGAAx3N.png[/IMG]

Fdkn

Reviewers saying it's good doesn't mean it necessarily will be.

Reviewers saying it's bad doesn't mean it necessarily will be
some people saying it's bad doesn't mean it necessarily will be
some people saying it's good doesn't mean it necessarily will be

Now we're covered for every outcome.

squall211

I've played every numbered Final Fantasy dating back to the NES.

I've enjoyed every one (yes, including XIII).

I don't expect this to be any different. Can't wait.

UrbanRats

The thing that worries me is environment variety.
With mgsv i just assumed the game had more than Afghanistan and Angola, but they were holding back surprises... and that didnt turn out too well.
Dont want to make the same mistake, but i hope the open world has more than the grassy plains of Duscae, in terms of visual look.

I should add, i purposefully avoided a lot of media, though.

Tyaren

The thing that worries me is environment variety.
With mgsv i just assumed the game had more than Afghanistan and Angola, but they were holding back surprises... and that didnt turn out too well.
Dont want to make the same mistake, but i hope the open world has more than the grassy plains of Duscae, in terms of visual look.

I should add, i purposefully avoided a lot of media, though.

You really don't need to worry about that. Just in the first third of the game (the country Lucis) you will find:
-desert
-beaches
-canyons
-grass lands
-conifer forests
-broadleaf forests
-swampland
-river valleys
-mountainous regions

Other confirmed regions later in the game are a lagoon, a jungle and a snowy landscape.

I think it will review decently well, something in the low 80s. Most people will like it better than FF13, but worse than most previous entries in the series.

Maybe I'm still being too pessimistic about this, even though my latest impression of the game is better than it was a year ago. I'm still being skeptical whether I will like it, but I hope it will turn out to be a good game.

Fjordson

I don't know honestly. The XIII trilogy was such a disaster that it's hard for me to trust Squenix. It looks good in videos and I'm kinda hyped, but I still have some reservations about the story and the combat system.

Zesh

I'm expecting a Metacritic score in the 70s, possibly pushing 80. I think it'll be decent, but it certainly won't live up to the expectations and hype that have been built up over the last decade.

StereoVsn

I expect twelve GAF threads on how it is the worst game ever. So given the popularity of the game this translates to an 81 metacritic.

As for the quality of the game I expect it to start out well and then get increasingly overlong (all the reviews will ignore this) and ridiculous (some reviews will mention this). In the end most people will force themselves to finish the game. The OT is filled with people playing it four times in a row.
Man, this is pretty much what i was thinking as well. Low 80s metacritic plus game story breaking down past first half of the game.

dramatis

I think an additional question should be added to the OP, which is to ask, "How much do you think it will sell at launch?"

That to me is more interesting than anything else related to FF15, to be honest. I want to see the state of the FF brand.

I hope they're not expecting huge numbers though.

Top Bottom