• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

I just finished chapter 9 and...

that was one of the worst boss fights I've ever seen in a AAA game in my life wtf. I would've rather it be a FMV or just full of QTEs, because it was completely inscrutable

Chapter 9 spoilers:

The whole chapter felt rather unfinished. Also we weren't given enough time with Luna (even after watching Kingsglaive) to give a shit about her.

Stencil

Just so you know about the ending:
the final final scene wasn't FMV, it's a cutscene. I thought it was an FMV at first.

Thanks for the heads up; I guess that's how they managed to
include the photo I chose huh?

Also, does anyone actually enjoy the fishing minigame? Was by far my most underlevelled skill in the game. And frankly, I don't know what makes a good fishing minigame but I was not havin' it. Didn't click? Idk. Even on top of the control mechanics of the minigame in general, the fact that the types of fish in the spot weren't listed anywhere, and there were SO many damn lures...

Exentryk

i'm being so cheap in battle.

fighting a 120 level Naglfar for a Randolph quest.

i just sit in a corner till the sun rises and let him get killed by sunlight. monster is too strong for me at level 81

Haha, nice! Once you're decked out though, it only takes a couple of minutes to beat it.

alt27

How are people levelling up so fast? I got to about 52 after the main story and now theres not many new side quests avavilable. Is it just hunts etc? Ive only got upto about 56 in about 5 hours after.

Any tips?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
How are people levelling up so fast? I got to about 52 after the main story and now theres not many new side quests avavilable. Is it just hunts etc? Ive only got upto about 56 in about 5 hours after.

Any tips?
Get 24 rare coins, make three spells of expericast. That's like 15 actual spells. Go to north of Hammerhead and fight the Bandersnatch. Don't kill it use all the spells first. Also yeah, go to Altissa and get the 100% XP bonus food first.

You should have around 450k XP. Then go sleep in a 3x inn.

If you want lots of gil. Go to Ravatogh mart and get the Wyvern hunt. Equip the ring of Lucii and kill them all in like seconds so not only will you get 9000xp each time with 100% xp bonus food but also 7 Wyvern wings. If you grind for a whole day, I mean in-game day, you should have like 100 wings. Sell them for 1600 a piece.

alt27

Get 24 rare coins, make three spells of expericast. That's like 15 actual spells. Go to north of Hammerhead and fight the Bandersnatch. Don't kill it use all the spells first. Also yeah, go to Altissa and get the 100% XP bonus food first.

Wow, thanks! What level is the bandersnatch? Is he a hunt bounty?

Jesus, end chapter spoilers but
entering the throne room with the bodies of luna, Regis, Nyx and I guess it was ravus on the end? Dark man lol. Wish there was a zoom function or an option to pull out the camera yourself

JBwB

Any tips?

The sealed dungeons, if you complete them in order from lowest level to highest can easily get you to max level if you do side quests / hunts in between dungeon runs.

You can do either do that or the Expericast method that has been mentioned in this thread.

Well, finished the main quest. Going to be honest, that was one of my favourite final fantasy endings of them all. In the end, yea there's a lot that lacks clarity and is muddled, but I actually really enjoyed the story and Noctis' journey. Mostly it's a pacing issue. Pushing All the character development and main story dungeons to chapter 9 and beyond while cutting the player off narratively from the open word, made it a real slog plot wise to get there, but in the end it was actually pretty awesome.

Acrylic7

Whats the best way to handle these fucking wasp enemies?
Every damn fight with these things is nothing but confusion followed by smelling salt every 6 seconds.

Qurupeke

Whats the best way to handle these fucking wasp enemies?
Every damn fight with these things is nothing but confusion followed by smelling salt every 6 seconds.

You could use one of those Rainbow Pendants that prevent confusion. Wasps are really awful in the game.

piggychan

Just stumbled onto this dungeon

SdW22kN.gif

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
And with this fish caught, I am 100% done with this game until DLC. Time to play other games. Took just under 154 hours. This makes it the second longest offline main entry I guess. Though I felt there was a lot more bloat and time spent doing nothing than there was in XII, which took 210 hours.
VDQiPQO.jpg
I heard this was the hardest fish, but I thought the Regal Arapaima was much more difficult. This one only took me 5 tries. Just tap R2 cautiously as he's thrashing and hold it when he stops thrashing. Other than that it's just following the direction changes quickly and hoping he doesn't switch too often. It's a short fight.

Acrylic7

Oh great. Now Cid decides to hide from me when I get his stupid supplies for my weapons. Is he non accessible at some point in the game or something?

Wiseblood

So I'm at chapter 12 now. When is this big patch expected to come out? Wondering if I should take a break from the game and wait for the update.

Asd202

Man...
I just spent like 3 hours trudging through one of the worst sections of a video game I've ever played in Chapter 13, and now I am faced with a boss in Ravus that is one of the most frustrating I've encountered in a long time. I get exhausted of healing items and lose. I feel like I've coasted up until this point and this is the first real challenge I've gotten and I'm just failing miserably.

I really don't know if I want to keep playing this game. My gaming time is precious and none of this has been fun for the last like 4 chapters (easy when like 3 of those chapters were about 10 minutes long).

Crazy how quickly this game went from one of favorite experiences to one of my least favorites.

Keep going there's not a lot left like 2 hours more.

Oh great. Now Cid decides to hide from me when I get his stupid supplies for my weapons. Is he non accessible at some point in the game or something?

Exactly that. He's where your next major destination is, if that makes sense. If you head there, you'll find him.

Cape Caem

What is it people dislike about chpt 13 BTW, is it the
hide sequences?
, that was the only part that bothered me and I just
fought them instead.
trying to think what they will really do bar
just give noctis all his regular weapons?

Lucael

Do you think that with the proper equip, food and Ascension slot a level 60 hunt could be viable for a level 40 party?

SHarris78

Just beat Adamantoise, I'd rather play a full game of chapter 13's than go through that again.

How are you supposed to get into the sealed dungeons? The doors that were locked whilst going through the story mode are still locked post game.

Haunted

Do you think that with the proper equip, food and Ascension slot a level 60 hunt could be viable for a level 40 party?
No problem. Everything you mentioned doesn't even matter. Just need 99 Hi-Elixirs to drag out the fight until a summon shows up.

Just know that it won't be much fun until then because you'll be getting one-shot a lot.

How are you supposed to get into the sealed dungeons? The doors that were locked whilst going through the story mode are still locked post game.
If you went through them all regularly, there's going to be
a lady at the Hunter HQ that allows you access in the post-game.

Kamitechi

Just beat Adamantoise, I'd rather play a full game of chapter 13's than go through that again.

You need to clear all dungeons then talk to the old lady at hunter HQ, if she doesn't give you the key you did not complete all the dungeons

Ah man, I have to do soon for plat, what level are you on?

SHarris78

You need to clear all dungeons then talk to the old lady at hunter HQ, if she doesn't give you the key you did not complete all the dungeons

Ah, I must've missed a dungeon then, thanks.

Ah man, I have to do soon for plat, what level are you on?

Level 99, think it took about 2 and a half hours, its not difficult just long and boring. Make sure to stock up on potions/elixirs/Phoenix downs.

Thanks for the heads up; I guess that's how they managed to
include the photo I chose huh?

Also, does anyone actually enjoy the fishing minigame? Was by far my most underlevelled skill in the game. And frankly, I don't know what makes a good fishing minigame but I was not havin' it. Didn't click? Idk. Even on top of the control mechanics of the minigame in general, the fact that the types of fish in the spot weren't listed anywhere, and there were SO many damn lures...

Dark Cloud 2 had good fishing. The fishing in XV was terrible.

Kamitechi

Ah, I must've missed a dungeon then, thanks.

Level 99, think it took about 2 and a half hours, its not difficult just long and boring. Make sure to stock up on potions/elixirs/Phoenix downs.

If you want to make Admantiose easier at 99,

Get Zwill crossblades, Enchantment for ignis, power and crit food, and use the power vx potion.

You start the fight , get 3 bars, cast enchantment 3 times and try to get all 3 elements, use power vx and go ham on his tail/ eyes, use armigar when needed,

shouldn't take more then 15-20min

SHarris78

If you want to make Admantiose easier at 99,

Get Zwill crossblades, Enchantment for ignis, power and crit food, and use the power vx potion.

You start the fight , get 3 bars, cast enchantment 3 times and try to get all 3 elements, use power vx and go ham on his tail/ eyes, use armigar when needed,

shouldn't take more then 15-20min

Haven't come across the Zwill crossblades yet (still missing 3 Royal Arms and not sure where to go to get them).

I don't get the enchantment bit - I thought you cast it once and whatever element that comes from that is what the enemy is weakest to. I started to notice later in the story that if I used enchantment more than once it would sometimes give different elements but I assumed it was a glitch.

Haunted

If you repeat a hunt bounty does it count towards your hunt progress?
You mean your hunter rank stars? No, you only get the stars once.

There are better ways to earn money, so repeating bounties basically only makes sense if you want to grind for a rare drop or something.

Deku Tree

You mean your hunter rank stars? No, you only get the stars once.

There are better ways to earn money, so repeating bounties basically only makes sense if you want to grind for a rare drop or something.

I was wondering if doing that bounty grind for 9K exp
with the lucii ring
that everyone talks about would also raise my hunter rank. Guess not

If you want lots of gil. Go to Ravatogh mart and get the Wyvern hunt. Equip the ring of Lucii and kill them all in like seconds so not only will you get 9000xp each time with 100% xp bonus food but also 7 Wyvern wings. If you grind for a whole day, I mean in-game day, you should have like 100 wings. Sell them for 1600 a piece.

You can use those spells on any group of enemies and have the same effect. I did it with the level 1-5 stuff around hammer head. Still netted me 500k exp

Exentryk

As someone that doesn't use magic at all, the enemies in
Daurell Menace
that are
immune to weapon damage
were annoying. Hopefully don't encounter them anywhere else.

Kamitechi

Haven't come across the Zwill crossblades yet (still missing 3 Royal Arms and not sure where to go to get them).

I don't get the enchantment bit - I thought you cast it once and whatever element that comes from that is what the enemy is weakest to. I started to notice later in the story that if I used enchantment more than once it would sometimes give different elements but I assumed it was a glitch.

Nope, you can get all 3 elements at the same time and admantoise does not resist any of them, also, Zwill Crossblades are from the legendary crafter side quest, you need to kill naglfer (omega weapon)

As someone that doesn't use magic at all, the enemies in
Daurell Menace
that are
immune to weapon damage
were annoying. Hopefully don't encounter them anywhere else.

You can use the ring to kill them, not optimal but, yeah.

How long does the enchantment last? And it reset when you die right?

Like a minute or so, but you can renew it with your tech bar everytime, it will always be up when the last set of buffs ended

Kouichi

After 74 hours, I've finally got the Platinum trophy! This is my third PS4 platinum after the two Infamous games.

Aside form Gladio survival skill and the royal arms, unlocking all the trophies came naturally. Even the fishing skill was something I leveled up quite high before finishing the game. Doing the remaining big fish quests and stocking up on Platinum Myrltrout so I can use the Golden Tail Soup bonuses for the post game dungeons got Noctis to level 10 without any extra effort. I leveled up Gladio's skill by just refraining from using the Chocobo post game. It made it to 10 just before starting the last sealed dungeon (which I still need to do!)

This game has been such a blast to play.

Lucifon

How long does it take for the game to "click"? Played for 3+ hours now and it's not doing much for me. The combat feels really scrappy and messy despite generally getting A/A+ ratings every time. The open world structure feels fairly bland and repetitive. The characters are 'okay' at best so far. Story doesn't seem to have gone anywhere or peaked my interest although I watched the film first and was more intrigued by that than now after playing the game.

Exentryk

Prompto's Gravisphere is a good option for those if you don't want to invest in magic.

Yeah, that's what I used, but finished off with a spell as it only took one spell to kill all of them. Waiting for Gravisphere to fill up is annoying too.

I'm in chapter 9 now. This game is utterly gorgeous. So far it's been a fun ride but a very underwhelming one too. I think for a franchise that is always very story/plot heavy this game has a severe lack of exposition. Too much major stuff just happens in mere seconds. Wish there was more impact. More cutscenes would definitely have helped. I mean even Final Fantasy XIV has more cutscenes and that's a freaking MMORPG. They should have scaled back the side stuff (which I have started skipping now as most of it is boring me now) and focused more on fleshing out the main story.

I have plenty of other complaints too but this is definitely the one that is bothering me the most. Still having fun though so let's see how it goes from here!

How long does it take for the game to "click"?

Personally the actual gameplay in terms of combat and exploration didn't really click for a good 10 hours. Once I had my chocobo customised and levelled up a bit and I was just striking out and ditching the car, looking for hidden areas and ignoring most of the fetch quests, things started to really go and it felt most final fantasy. Story and character wise I dont really feel like it kicks off until
Altissia
and beyond. Chapter 9ish.

Top Bottom