• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

I really like XIV and made it to Heavensward, but yeah. It's a super huge investment, very time consuming, and the combat gets incredibly complex further in. That's not really a bad thing, but I hit a point where I was going into raids and people were just bitching at me for not having my damage per second up to optimal levels. I struggled with it there for a while, tried to learn everything but there's just so many other games out there for me to play and things for me to do. It's like trying to learn a fighting game, you can enjoy it and get good if you pour hundreds of hours into one thing, but I don't have the time for that.

FFXIV is great though and I enjoyed all I played of it, but after spending a year playing on and off trying to get to Heavensward and people being assholes, I just kind of lost interest. I'll likely pick it back up down the line however.

While I love FFXIV the part I bolded here can be incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Jeels

And not only that, it feels more final fantasy (more SINGLE PLAYER final fantasy) than any final fantasy to me since IX. The story is just top notch and really feels like you are being taken on a journey. Modern FF outside XIV just does not cut it. So to discount it just because it's an MMO is too easy...

I don't know why people think games have to score 9+ to be considered good.

Yup, game reviews are subjective. The same game reviewed by a different crowd, in different circumstances could have landed higher or lower.

86 is an excellent score, and I'm actually surprised to see it do so well. Color me more interested and confident in the game than I was before. Seems like FF is back on track.

Teknoman

Eh, the great thing about those games is they don't need to be played like an MMO. You can beat it in the one free month and just pay for one month when the next expansion hits.

Yeah FF mmo are story focused and have traditional last bosses (to an extent). Actually it seems Square pulled off two miracles now. Brought back an mmo from absolute demise, and released a good game after a crazy 10 year cycle.

QaaQer

I must say much respects to you, it is good to see men think like this in this society.

Anime child fetish aside, the issue is that characters like these aren't sexy, they are caricatures of sexy.

Most women aren't anti-sex or anti-sexy: look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example. There is lots of sexy and sex (both empowered and degrading) that a female audience has no problem with because the characters are so well done and believable.

b3b0p

I think reviewers are afraid to score this game properly knowing the backlash they will receive.

If the biggest negative is that lack of story I don't see how anyone could give this game such a high score. The story portion of an RPG might be the most important part. It's the basis which the game is built on. If the story is abysmal and not interesting why would I want to even play or continue to play and get the outcome and figure out what happens next? It's like forcing yourself to read a bad book or watch a bad movie.

It's more that I choose to respect my commitment to my wife to only have eyes for her. I'm on guard with what I choose to look at, and in cases where said graphic content can't be avoided/turned off, I've made the choice to skip the game/movie entirely. I'm seriously so fed up with how women are portrayed and sexualized to an extreme. It hasn't always been an easy choice to skip games/movies with said content, but without a doubt, I know i'm doing the right thing for my marriage.

While I think your stance is extreme, I can appreciate your commitment to it. I've definitely avoided playing things that are overly sexualized because I know my wife would find them distasteful (I frankly do too, but given that I've seen so much of it over my history of playing games, I can give thinks a strong eye-roll and move beyond them). I really don't want to play a game full of unnecessary T&A, because I know I won't enjoy it, and it'll ultimately reflect poorly on my taste in video games to my wife. It's the same reason I avoid most anime (Besides the fact that I think a lot of it is just plain awful). I might want to enjoy some sort of mecha show, but it's hard to watch it when a lot of female characters are just high-pitched voices with enormous breasts attached.

While I love FFXIV the part I bolded here can be incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Yeah. I played so many hours of the game solo, I play these things mostly to relax; it's not like I don't want challenge or think it's a bad thing obviously, but it went from like over a hundred hours of playing and enjoying at my own pace to having to participate in raids with a bunch of dickheads, and sometimes the dungeons/bosses had tricks to them that more seasoned players took for granted but I had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on and they were treating me like an idiot.

The solution is to play with your own people, but eh.

ethomaz

Banned
As many have been mentioning, it's apparently a lot harder to hit higher scores today than it was back then. It's not so simple to compare different eras.
That is a myth.

People says that to excuse for the rushed quality of some recent games.

Garlador

And not only that, it feels more final fantasy (more SINGLE PLAYER final fantasy) than any final fantasy to me since IX. The story is just top notch and really feels like you are being taken on a journey. Modern FF outside XIV just does not cut it. So to discount it just because it's an MMO is too easy...

Starting to derail the FFXV thread with FFXIV stuff, but... that's what most impressed me about FFXIV. How, despite being mostly solo, and an MMO (that's a weird combo to begin with), it's still got this "party" feeling down wonderfully.

maxresdefault.jpg

Creating this party and alliance of unlikely allies and rivals, bound by mutual goals, who challenged each other's worldviews and ethics, having those moments by the campfire to share their ideologies as they went with you to change the course of the world... it was as Final Fantasy as anything I've experienced.

Hopefully FFXV has plenty of those scenes too, but after being largely disappointed in Final Fantasy post-FFX for a good long while, FFXIV was the surprise return to form I never expected to fall in love with.

hughesta

Banned
I think reviewers are afraid to score this game properly knowing the backlash they will receive.

If the biggest negative is that lack of story I don't see how anyone could give this game such a high score. The story portion of an RPG might be the most important part. It's the basis which the game is built on. If the story is abysmal and not interesting why would I want to even play or continue to play and get the outcome and figure out what happens next? It's like forcing yourself to read a bad book or watch a bad movie.
video games aren't just a story. You can enjoy playing them while disliking the story it tells.

Aesthet1c

It's really disappointing to read the story, magic, and summon systems are some of the weakest parts of the game. Those are like the 3 main things that make an FF game for me.

I'm still getting it, but man I was hoping SE wouldn't screw those things up.

robotrock

Banned
I want to buy Stephen's Sausage Roll so bad but I just can't justify $30 for it. Shame on me and all. Just fearful I'm going to get stuck early on.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's really disappointing to read the story, magic, and summon systems are some of the weakest parts of the game. Those are like the 3 main things that make an FF game for me.

I'm still getting it, but man I was hoping SE wouldn't screw those things up.

I still don't know how the f*** to summon. It will say "Hit L2", I hit "L2" but nothing happens. So dumb. So I just don't.

This post would be 300% more effective if the game were reviewing poorly, I think.

lol. I can't believe I'm living my dream of schadenfreude over foiled schadenfreude.

This game has highs and lows, but clearly lots of folks think it's good. After 10 years in the single player wilderness, this is a sweet day for FF fans.

QaaQer

Do you have a link?

I think part of an increase could be a reduction in the number of licensed and low budget console games since the mid-2000's, which don't even exist to get bad reviews anymore. AAA blockbusters are still trending in a direction that gives us fewer 90+s every year, no?

You can PM Cosmicqueso if you want. He removed it for some reason.

PS, if you do pm him and he removed it because it was faulty, can you let me know? I don't want to be spreading false info.

Strakt

Final fantasy X and XII both got 92 avg, not to mention the previous titles. I guess the score is too close to XIII, which I didnt like at all

Look at how far back x and xii were released. Scores are handed out differently compared to when they were back in 2001 or 2006. 86 is a GREAT score for a modern day final fantasy.

Yeah. I played so many hours of the game solo, I play these things mostly to relax; it's not like I don't want challenge or think it's a bad thing obviously, but it went from like over a hundred hours of playing and enjoying at my own pace to having to participate in raids with a bunch of dickheads, and sometimes the dungeons/bosses had tricks to them that more seasoned players took for granted but I had absolutely no fucking idea what was going on and they were treating me like an idiot.

The solution is to play with your own people, but eh.

Yeah, I think it's a fantastic Final Fantasy game but when you get high level and people start lecturing you on DPS and that's all you start thinking about, it's a problem. It takes you out of the experience.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's certainly not as kingdom hearts as I thought it would be.

That's more Nomura style of action RPG than Tabatas. Epecially when you go into a numbered final fantasy game, they want maximum mainstream penetration and a gameplay style that is easy to follow while still having significant RPG elements.

I would say its still more engaging than most western RPG's combat mechanics.

Boke1879

Final fantasy X and XII both got 92 avg, not to mention the previous titles. I guess the score is too close to XIII, which I didnt like at all

Again 13 got that score in a gen where they handed 9's and 10's to everything. And honestly anyone expecting this game to get a 92 with 10 years of baggage was asking for disappointment.

and 86 meta is not bad. It's good. Damn near great. Anyone convincing themselves that that's bad. Wants it to be bad imo.

I think I saw a graph or some sort showing that reviewers are generally giving lower scores nowadays compared to a decade(s) ago. It's harder to get 90+ meta now. Mid 80s now is like the low 90s of those days.

Falk

that puzzling face
I still don't know how the f*** to summon. It will say "Hit L2", I hit "L2" but nothing happens. So dumb. So I just don't.

The icons that have this small inverted triangle on the top are meant to be held, not tapped.

Same deal with warp points, etc.

Garlador

Co-signed. Raid assholes (okay, and the monthly fee) made me quit the game. It was just no fun dealing with some guy shouting all-caps text at me the whole time, as if it even mattered.

See, I had this problem, and the solution was to find the right people. Join a FC. Create your own Duty Finder criteria (and include the descriptions of "New to this raid, help wanted"). I've successfully avoided any jerk players this way with ease since being upfront about my skill level and experience and having people willing to help come to ME instead of me just doing things blindly.

... Also the tutorial videos on Youtube before a big raid. Preps me for mechanics and makes it a lot easier.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
lol. I can't believe I'm living my dream of schadenfreude over foiled schadenfreude.

This game has highs and lows, but clearly lots of folks think it's good. After 10 years in the single player wilderness, this is a sweet day for FF fans.

I knowwww. Loving this.

That doesn't seem accurate... Looks like most people are enjoying the combat to me, aside from the people who think it's supposed to be DMC.

What are you reading that says the combat is bad? Jason said the combat is literally the best thing in the game.

I could have sworn I saw a review earlier saying it boils down to just pressing down one button to keep doing combos, coupled with QuickTime events but of course now it's alluding me on mobile. Made the whole thing seem shallow and passive. Maybe I misread, but that still leaves magic and summons :/

I'm psyched for the game and will grab it in one form or another, but hopefully they'll release more patches to Polish it further.

There is no game with combat quite like it

Ok thanks. All I have seen is a review that basically said "hold O to attack, hold Sqaure to dodge". Besides selecting what ability to use, is that really it?

I guess for me combat makes a huge difference if a game is enjoyable or not.

Is there anything even close?

Witcher 3?
Zelda games?
Bloodborne/Souls?
DMC/Ninja Gaiden?
Dragon's Dogma?

Any of those even close?

Again 13 got that score in a gen where they handed 9's and 10's to everything. And honestly anyone expecting this game to get a 92 with 10 years of baggage was asking for disappointment.

and 86 meta is not bad. It's good. Damn near great. Anyone convincing themselves that that's bad. Wants it to be bad imo.

Look at how far back x and xii were released. Scores are handed out differently compared to when they were back in 2001 or 2006. 86 is a GREAT score for a modern day final fantasy.

I think I saw a graph or some sort showing that reviewers are generally giving lower scores nowadays compared to a decade(s) ago. It's harder to get 90+ meta now. Mid 80s now is like the low 90s of those days.

I hope you guys are right

I'll form my own opinion tomorrow. Im hyped (for 10 years)

sphinx

the piano man
Anyone convincing themselves that that's bad. Wants it to be bad imo.

I will say that anyone that things a 86 metacritic score is bad is absolutely full of shit.

That's an opinion I'd ignore immediately, not worth wasting time reading and/or responding to that.

Ralemont

not me
See, I had this problem, and the solution was to find the right people. Join a FC. Create your own Duty Finder criteria (and include the descriptions of "New to this raid, help wanted"). I've successfully avoided any jerk players this way with ease since being upfront about my skill level and experience and having people willing to help come to ME instead of me just doing things blindly.

... Also the tutorial videos on Youtube before a big raid. Preps me for mechanics and makes it a lot easier.

Yeah but look at your post. As someone who's played both XI and XIV for years, you're A) 100% correct and B) demonstrating why it's hard for single player gamers to really get into something like XIV. Hell l remember the hubbub over players wanting to go into a story dungeon blind so they don't get spoiled and they get screamed at.

Top Bottom