• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

rataven

I'm curious, does anyone here think this game could end up being one of their favorite Final Fantasy games? Does the setting, characters, etc. from what we know interest you enough? If you do, let me know your favorite Final Fantasy game as well.

I LOVE modern fantasy (VII being my favorite FF) so aesthetically, this game is hitting on a lot of the right notes. Characters and story tend to ultimately make or break an FF for me though, so if the cast isn't well developed or the story at least somewhat well told, then might as well pack it in.

I'm curious, does anyone here think this game could end up being one of their favorite Final Fantasy games? Does the setting, characters, etc. from what we know interest you enough? If you do, let me know your favorite Final Fantasy game as well.

My favorite Final Fantasy?

<---- Take one guess.

Could this become my favorite? Probably not. It would be really hard for any game to top the "time and place" factor of FF7. If all goes well I don't see why it couldn't nab the number two spot (Which, right now, is probably 12? Maybe 5. 9's up there, too.).

It's hard to judge the characters based on what little we know, but they seem cool enough. I like their consistent style. I could see the interplay between the four of them being really interesting, given the whole road trip aspect. The setting seems similar to 7, which obviously I'm into.

I mean, best case scenario, based on what I know of the game's direction, FFXV could be incredible. They've revealed nothing that I don't like. It all comes down to execution.

Famassu

Both this and Type-0 have horribly directed trailers compared to S-E's past efforts. I wonder why and what changed. That said game looks graphically appealing, too bad the trailer sucks imho.
Lulzwut? This trailer was clearly meant to show what people were disappointed wasn't in the E3 2013 trailer. It's supposed to be all about the exploration/overworld aspect of the game and less about any story/cutscenes/cinematic scenes. We already have enough of the story, really, we need to see more of this kind of gameplay.

God damn. This game's been in development so long, that I know it can't possibly live up to the hype. But... Every time they actually show something it looks so good.

Nerokis

I love the bromantic road trip~ angle, and the emphasis on seemingly open travel with a lot of interesting things to see. The trailer had a very lovely atmosphere to it overall. That sense of exploring a nicely realized world, though, would have been so much greater with an actual city or something thrown in. Vast plains are not enough.

orochi91

They did, but Nomura said that you can expect FFXV to have a clear ending and not end up in a cliffhanger. The example I can think of what he means would be that FFXV is about Noctis going in pursuit of the people who steal the crystal of his country and FFXV will end with that final crystal being destroyed (in the end, maybe to stop some evil dude from using its power for ultimate domination by becoming an all-powerful god or something cliched like that). FFXV-2 would then be about some new threat in a world that is coping to live without any crystals.

That's actually pretty comforting! I figured they'd cut the game up in order to make up
for the development cost.

Nikokuno

This game looks so similar to XIII if you put two screenshots side by side and showed them to someone they would probably say it is the same game.

It especially shows when you have Nomura, who likes to reuse the same (or very similar) faces and hairdos across multiple games.

... Seriously? Don't know if it's a joke.

And talking about faces, solid character designer can't do anything else except what they know, every characters from Dragon Quest handle by Toriyama Akira are similar, it's normal... It's the manga style >.>

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
suddenly... the best looking game ever, technically... what the fuck, square, how do you do this

Famassu

Was that ever confirmed in the past?

Yes and even the E3 2013 trailer shows glimpses of it. For whatever reason they aren't yet showing it in proper. I guess the E3 2013 trailer was all about the giant Leviathan, this trailer is all about the overworld aspect. We'll probably start getting character-specific trailers closer to release.

orochi91

its gonna need sequels. u know how much money they prob spent on this game?? they have to reuse them resources for sequels and get that profit

Yea I agree, but apparently the games in the Versus Saga will be self-contained stories,
so it seems like a good idea. I definitely want to see more this FF15 world lol

Tookay

Both this and Type-0 have horribly directed trailers compared to S-E's past efforts. I wonder why and what changed. That said game looks graphically appealing, too bad the trailer sucks imho.

I agree that this trailer wasn't cut very well.

Some of the reactions about the "road trip" aspect would not have been pronounced if it had been introduced/contextualized better.

benzy

Minus the obvious bullshot quality aa, the gameplay trailer and even the e3 trailer look like hot garbage.
http://i.minus.com/iR7WHzU5IXBPy.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ipMDKTk5cZjWi.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iGyHVZ3lo60ZJ.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iC2475ksWhfjF.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i8BPttNP1QpVO.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibvCB3MyY4CPte.png[IMG]

Luminous Engine delivers.[/QUOTE]

Yup. The comparison just further makes last year's footage look like an HD ps3 version upgrade. The lighting and shading advancements are finally coming along.

IX was about two planets, not about moons.
Gaia had two moons, one belonged to... (dammit, you're going to make me say this, I thought you were a fan)
... Terra, but when Terra tried to assimilate Gaia, the Fusion spell backfired and Terra was sucked into Gaia's core(existing in a state of limbo) while Gaia took Terra's moon(meaning Gaia has two moons now). The reason why they are different colors is becomes moons reflect the light of their planet's crystal glow(Gaia's crystal glows blue, Terra's glows red).

Again, I never said FFIX was ABOUT two moons, but that FFIX's world HAD two moons. I listed the Ultima series too, which Britannia(Sosaria) also has two moons(though Pagan does not, so I guess not ALL Ultima games feature worlds with two moons).

Though that being said, I also liked what FFVIII did with it's moon.

duckroll

Yes and even the E3 2013 trailer shows glimpses of it. For whatever reason they aren't yet showing it in proper. I guess the E3 2013 trailer was all about the giant Leviathan, this trailer is all about the overworld aspect. We'll probably start getting character-specific trailers closer to release.

You haven't told us how you feel about Nomura exiting FFXV yet!

Reveirg

Yes and even the E3 2013 trailer shows glimpses of it. For whatever reason they aren't yet showing it in proper.

Really? I remember looking out for that feature back at that E3 and not finding any hint. I really hope it makes it in. I have the same worries about Xenoblade X... they've never shown footage where you control other characters.

OsirisBlack

Banned
It's all good. PC version will 1080p+

Steam mods can probably bring her OG style back. New design is poor in comparison.

Serious question is this even slated for PC release?

Edited to add if memory serves me correctly its supposed to be PS4/XB1 NA/EU and PS4 only in Japan is this still correct?

Mr. RPG

... Seriously? Don't know if it's a joke.

And talking about faces, solid character designer can't do anything else except what they know, every characters from Dragon Quest handle by Toriyama Akira are similar, it's normal... It's the manga style >.>

Nope, not a joke.

Yep, Toriyama is guilty of the same thing! At least his original characters were actually good though.

Granted Nomura did design Shadow and Setzer, which were both great characters in VI, but they don't look anything like his new characters from VII onward.

CLBridges

Looks good to me, I'm glad they finally pulled some new footage together for a new trailer. I can't really comment on the game-play/battle system from the trailer, looks fast paced but who knows once I have it in my hands. Good job SE!

Minus the obvious bullshot quality aa, the gameplay trailer and even the e3 trailer look like hot garbage.

Luminous Engine delivers.

God damn, this is honestly the first time I've REALLY looked up close at the shit in those trailers since they came out.

Yeah, the game looked really good in motion but you can see the PS3 origins of some of those assets.

You haven't told us how you feel about Nomura exiting FFXV yet!

Don't be such a meanie.

Famassu

With nomura out the picture I doubt XV will get sequels
I was almost certain Tabata was brought in to co-direct FFXV with the intention
of him becoming the director of any possible sequels (since Nomura has been saying from the start that this would be his first & last FF he directs), so I don't think this changes things at all. Didn't foresee he'd replace Nomura even while FFXV itself was in development, though.

Alex

The trailer is neat, it looks very nice overall. It does seem a bit oddly cut but I assume a lot of it is highlight footage from what could likely be the prologue. It's not too farfetched to assume that's what furthest along since maybe the demo will be based on it. Final Fantasy games do often like to cut their demos from early play. (I went nuts over the 7/8 Bombing Run/Dollet demos as a kid)

Mr. RPG

Gaia had two moons, one belonged to... (dammit, you're going to make me say this, I thought you were a fan)
... Terra, but when Terra tried to assimilate Gaia, the Fusion spell backfired and Terra was sucked into Gaia's core(existing in a state of limbo) while Gaia took Terra's moon(meaning Gaia has two moons now). The reason why they are different colors is becomes moons reflect the light of their planet's crystal glow(Gaia's crystal glows blue, Terra's glows red).

Again, I never said FFIX was ABOUT two moons, but that FFIX's world HAD two moons. I listed the Ultima series too, which Britannia(Sosaria) also has two moons(though Pagan does not, so I guess not ALL Ultima games feature worlds with two moons).

Though that being said, I also liked what FFVIII did with it's moon.

IX is my favorite game of all time. I didn't remember this at all.

Welp, you're right. I completely forgot. My apologies.

HeelPower

You agree with perfo on this ?

This looks way better than anything the XIII-2 and LR have received in the form of trailers.Maybe on part with XIII-1's trailers and last years's trailers.

The ending shot, the transition to accordo..there are some really nice moments in this trailer.Its great.

The combat trailer was prettied up PS3 footage.

...Wow. I didn't think the PS3 could actually pull that off... especially considering what the game looked like in 2011...on dev workstations... Honestly I find that hard to believe, but the performance dropping horrendously during the E3 reveal finally has an explanation.

On second thought, maybe not... so conflicted

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You agree with perfo on this ?

This looks way better than anything the XIII-2 and LR have received in the form of trailers.Maybe on part with XIII-1's trailers and last years's trailers.

The ending shot, the transition to accordo..there are some really nice moments in this trailer.Its great.

That's not hard though. XIII series was way too anime.

Mr. RHC

ibvCB3MyY4CPte.png

Luminous Engine delivers.

First time noticing the skull on the jacket:

NE2uWfq.png

Am I the only one incredible underwhelmed by the trailer? The combat looks unsatisfying and the car seems to be sliding on the road, it has like no grip.

Top Bottom