• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
haven't you noticed that i'm not bothering with you? you haven't played the game, you don't know the full extent of what those themes are.
He's right, there's no subtlety at all to the symbolism in this game when it comes to costume design and color schemes. Breaking Bad, Black Swan, and We Need To Talk About Kevin are all great examples of costume design done right.

Oh my god guys... That was actually amazing. Day One. But honest "In Development" kind of scares me.

Don't be they just don't want to fully commit to a date knowing that the game isn't releasing for 1.5 years. For instance we heard about type-0 in august who the hell thought it was going to release a few months later. So my theory is they will give a release date at e3 with a japan dec2015 getting it first and everyone else around march 2016. Maybe their plan is to fully unveil games from now on that are at least 6 months away from release. A thinking, competent, proactive SE that's a scary thought.

Damerman

He's right, there's no subtlety at all to the symbolism in this game when it comes to costume design and color schemes. Breaking Bad, Black Swan, and We Need To Talk About Kevin are all great examples of costume design done right.
you've said this before, and I'll tell you again that its not that simple.
symbolism can be layered. There can be conspicuous motifs... its been done in so many different mediums.

there is no such thing as "subtlety done right"... it all depends on the pacing and the style of said art. not to mention WE DON'T KNOW THE FULL EXTENT OF THE THEMES.

Myths

At least the music was great - looking forward to the score if nothing else. Not much to take from the trailer since little was shown of the UI in conjunction with on-screen play (compare to the 2013 trailer).

And those rims...

The song from this trailer is already one of my favorite Yoko Shimomura works of all time. I admit I had a slight doubt because Omnis Lacrima didn't flip my switch much. It was your typical "powerful" trailer music. I love Somnus but I was worried that might be the "best" song we get. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

Here's some screens I captured. Probably late but sorry just watched the trailer. Looks phenomenal in my opinion, its hard to believe this is actually a real game now. Its almost here after all this time!

JOdb.png
]

Choomp

Banned
Don't be they just don't want to fully commit to a date knowing that the game isn't releasing for 1.5 years. For instance we heard about type-0 in august who the hell thought it was going to release a few months later. So my theory is they will give a release date at e3 with a japan dec2015 getting it first and everyone else around march 2016. Maybe their plan is to fully unveil games from now on that are at least 6 months away from release. A thinking, competent, proactive SE that's a scary thought.
This games probably my most anticipated title at the moment. I at least want to see "Coming Soon" or something, "In Development" could mean a lot.

I liked the old effects... maybe they removed it because... well, I don't know. This build doesn't even look full HD!

Judging by the radio it seems at this stage in the game Lucis has not yet been attacked. I remember it was said that Noctis' crystal powers were new to him, and he had yet to get used to them. It was also said that the party's magic stems from Noctis way back in the day. Is it possible that at this stage of the game shown, Noctis does not yet have his crystal power, hence the absence of the associated crystal dust effects and magic? It seems odd that it would be toned down so severely otherwise to me, just because Square is so all about particle effects.

Then again, they may also just be unfinished and who knows how much of what I said above has changed?

ViciousDS

Banned
I can't stop watching the trailer.....I'm crying and feeling so much nostalgia inside........I haven't felt this excited for a game in a long time, last final fantasy game to give me these feels was FFX....sorry FFXII folks, I didn't care to much for it.

totally grabbing the gamersyde video when I get home and watching it, only at work so best I get is youtube

Judging by the radio it seems at this stage in the game Lucis has not yet been attacked. I remember it was said that Noctis' crystal powers were new to him, and he had yet to get used to them. It was also said that the party's magic stems from Noctis way back in the day. Is it possible that at this stage of the game shown, Noctis does not yet have his crystal power, hence the absence of the associated crystal dust effects and magic? It seems odd that it would be toned down so severely otherwise to me, just because Square is so all about particle effects.

Then again, they may also just be unfinished and who knows how much of what I said above has changed?

Also worth mentioning this Noctis could be lower level, I remember Nomura stating that Noctis abilities during the e3 gameplay video that he was overpowered to showcase some abilities and those abilities would be obtained much later in the game, hence the missing spiral crystal swords.

tumblr_moajp6ezL51r8r1k2o1_500.gif

Cmagus

Honestly, that trailer was a let down compared to the one years ago. Feels like a re-skinned LR.

I feel the complete opposite. This trailer really got me interested in this game again, the visuals are fantastic, colourful and full of personality. The characters actually seem likeable in this trailer. I was not a fan of where the game was going and watching trailers of Noctis crying while he threw swords all over the place. The entire tone of this trailer was a welcomed change for me.

sn00zer

So if the game is cut off into zones, does the main character take a nap to transition between zones? Would actually be a pretty good way to do it

Zephyl

It would be cool to see his powers grow over time, it could be that what was shown here is an early part of the game?

Have we confirmed this trailer is solely the demo? It would explain why Nocits and crew is away from the capital at this point in time.

I'm absolutely spoiled by Platinum, but I hope there's a fun dodge and/or parry mechanic in this game. Precision makes action games so much more intense.

SoulUnison

Banned
I couldn't be more excited for this game, but they made some weird footage choices for this trailer.

Like, what was the purpose of showing us that fight with the soldiers on the grassland/forest area where Noctis just kinda...jogs by and awkwardly bumps into two guys?

I'm assuming this is pretty early in the game, but the enemies seem brain-dead. Like sentient, shambling punching bags.

Famassu

Honestly, that trailer was a let down compared to the one years ago. Feels like a re-skinned LR.
*Show E3 2013 trailer with epic Leviathan event* = WHAT, THIS GAME LOOKS TOTALLY SCRIPTED, ANOTHER SHIT PIPE FFXIII-LIKE LINEAR FF INCOMING; SHOW US SOMETHING LESS SCRIPTED, SHOW US VEHICLES, SHOW US THE OVERWORLD

*Show TGS 2014 trailer with nothing but the more open overworld* = THIS LOOKS LIKE A LIGHTNING RETURNS REHASH, SHOW ME SOMETHING MORE EXCITING

Sotha_Sil

At least the music was great - looking forward to the score if nothing else. Not much to take from the trailer since little was shown of the UI in conjunction with on-screen play (compare to the 2013 trailer).

And those rims...

The music was may favorite part of the trailer too. The art direction also looks pretty good (minus the four guys). As for the combat and encounter design I'll wait for a more comprehensive gameplay video.

Zephyl

The spiraling crystal swords are called Wingblade in BbS, and I believe they're pretty late game.

IIRC I remember reading or glancing an article about being able to upgrade/level up Noctis to the point of the very first FFXII Versus trailer where he was super OP, I don't know if that is the case anymore but it would be pretty neat I think.

IIRC I remember reading or glancing an article about being able to upgrade/level up Noctis to the point of the very first FFXII Versus trailer where he was super OP, I don't know if that is the case anymore but it would be pretty neat I think.
You're correct however doesn't the trailer take part at the beginning of the game? So maybe that's why we don't see all this crazy stuff, besides judging from tabata on type-0 gameplay is pretty fast.
1371006249-link-form-2.gif

Zephyl

You're correct however doesn't the trailer take part at the beginning of the game? So maybe that's why we don't see all this crazy stuff, besides judging from tabata on type-0 gameplay is pretty fast.
1371006249-link-form-2.gif

I honestly don't know, judging by what Noctis is able to do in this most recent trailer makes think that it's somewhere around the beginning, this is pure speculation on my part and I could be totally wrong. I don't have enough info yet (like everybody else XD) .

As for Type-0 I know next to nothing about it except seeing the first trailer a long time ago, seemed like a very dark story (which I don't mind), when I heard it wasn't being localized back then I just stopped bothering to find out more info.

Ishida

Banned
I feel the complete opposite. This trailer really got me interested in this game again, the visuals are fantastic, colourful and full of personality. The characters actually seem likeable in this trailer. I was not a fan of where the game was going and watching trailers of Noctis crying while he threw swords all over the place. The entire tone of this trailer was a welcomed change for me.

Noctis crying? What?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
you've said this before, and I'll tell you again that its not that simple.
symbolism can be layered. There can be conspicuous motifs... its been done in so many different mediums.
Symbolism can be layered, but as of right now based on the symbolism we have now. It's simplistic and lacks subtlety. Especially not layered enough to be like "haven't you ever heard of symbolism in english class" like there's some deep profound symbolism the rest of us are missing.

coastel

Not open world, but linked large zones akin to FFXII

Just trying to keep everyone's expectations in check. It will probably still feel massive, but yea, likely some loading areas/screens

This is confirmed? :( wont be to bad if the zones are large and if we can freely goto each one.

Lawdy, that last few seconds of the trailer with the hint of the Final Fantasy theme playing......

Anyone think FFXV will be this generation's FF7?

Shogun1337

*Show E3 2013 trailer with epic Leviathan event* = WHAT, THIS GAME LOOKS TOTALLY SCRIPTED, ANOTHER SHIT PIPE FFXIII-LIKE LINEAR FF INCOMING; SHOW US SOMETHING LESS SCRIPTED, SHOW US VEHICLES, SHOW US THE OVERWORLD

*Show TGS 2014 trailer with nothing but the more open overworld* = THIS LOOKS LIKE A LIGHTNING RETURNS REHASH, SHOW ME SOMETHING MORE EXCITING

Stop bothering Famassu. Just let the ignorance flow. I know it's really difficult, but once someones post starts out silly (because I can't use any harsher term), just quickly avert your eyes and move to the next post.

Not open world, but linked large zones akin to FFXII

Just trying to keep everyone's expectations in check. It will probably still feel massive, but yea, likely some loading areas/screens

I don't have a problem with this at all. Some of the areas in FFXII were massive, and that was on the PS2, so with this on PS4/Xbox One and hopefully with minimal load times, FFXII like areas work perfectly for me.

Damerman

Symbolism can be layered, but as of right now based on the symbolism we have now. It's simplistic and lacks subtlety. Especially not layered enough to be like "haven't you ever heard of symbolism in english class" like there's some deep profound symbolism the rest of us are missing.
lol you must have me confused for some pretentious person.
People complained about all black -> i pointed out that it was a motif, a basic literary device where depth is relative -> you come out of nowhere and tell me that symbolism is supposed to be deeper.

Feels like you are grasping at straws because you are angry that i might have come off as pedantic or insulting. I'm sorry you are offended.

Top Bottom