• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI announced

BRZBlue

hopefully it wont affect development much like how XIII and XV is. I'm hoping for completed engine like UE4 or Luminous so they could speed up their work, adding more content and didnt held back their vision. I dont want another FF game with empty world, linear, plothole, lack of town, smaller scope etc. But who know? maybe they making or reworking on tools that they used and comfortable to work with.

I'm actually curious if its the FFXIV branch of Luminous with new rendering/graphical work.

We know the mmo engine handles large zones extremely well. Its also what they've been using for years so they'd know it. A new lighting model for it would make a ton of sense. Its also possible some graphical and lighting improvements could help XIV since Yoshi-P has a graphics overhaul on the docket for that game in the future.

Kumomeme

I'm actually curious if its the FFXIV branch of Luminous with new rendering/graphical work.

We know the mmo engine handles large zones extremely well. Its also what they've been using for years so they'd know it. A new lighting model for it would make a ton of sense. Its also possible some graphical and lighting improvements could help XIV since Yoshi-P has a graphics overhaul on the docket for that game in the future.
there other studio who can keep up to visual update by upgrade their tools and engine. thats what i hope too. hopefully what they did actually something that would helped their production. previous patch of xiv also there hint of the devs kind of experimenting with physic. i wonder if it related or just separate new engine that fit their need.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So base on the info, it’s l’Cie again.

Possibly, though there's a few differences between these tattooed guys and L'Cie as they've been shown before.

Regardless, I wouldn't necessarily look at "L'Cie," like it's a dirty word. This trailer also had Summons, chocobos, crystals, and a Malboro. Final Fantasy likes to reuse certain names and concepts as a way to tie what is otherwise an anthology series together. Honestly, they haven't "added," anything to repeating lore in like 15 years, so if L'Cie are present, they're more than likely just a FF thing that's being incorporated into the lexicon of the series, rather than a tie to the Fabula Nova Crystalis lore.

Ixion

Looks solid. I just wish the main character didn't have a Karen haircut

Square really needs to give their universe a testosterone injection

That looks to be what they're doing actually. The main character probably starts out looking all young and pretty at the beginning in order to make his growth into a hardass more powerful. The only question is how long you play as the younger version.

Grinchy

Banned

lmao yep, when I watched the trailer for the first time, right when they showed him all I could think about was him asking to see my manager

Kumomeme

You mean the group at the beginning? Nah. It's more a mark as part of their assassination group.
this is what come to my mind when see that tattoo/mark

lore24tat1.png
k6zoderr3fx41.jpg

images
images
louisoux.jpg

but the mark in XVI is kind of designed to be on cheek. so who know?

Geki-D

Banned
I actually thought this was going to be a remake of some other FF game when it was being revealed. It's been ages since a FF game has done full-on medieval fantasy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

And people will complain that FF has too much men/too manly and needs more female representation. :p

TheAssist

Guys so If I loved FF15 (never played any other FF), will I love this as well? How will this be diff from ff15?

If you liked 15 your standards cant be that high. So yeah sure, you'll like this one a ton.

If you want a more serious answer: Who the fuck know. We only have this trailer to go by and nothing else. Maybe they drop a demo just like with VII Remake and you can decide for yourself.

Rea

This game is only on PS5 when launching and for limited period of time. Just like FF7 Remake. Maybe 1 year later then release on other platforms including PC. Why people think it will be on PC on launch?

If you liked 15 your standards cant be that high. So yeah sure, you'll like this one a ton.

If you want a more serious answer: Who the fuck know. We only have this trailer to go by and nothing else. Maybe they drop a demo just like with VII Remake and you can decide for yourself.
Thanks for the considerate response, man. Looking forward to it!!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Guys so If I loved FF15 (never played any other FF), will I love this as well? How will this be diff from ff15?

Tbh I think you'll like XVI a lot more than the rest, though there isn't much to go for though since we only have 1 trailer.

It might be harder for you to backtrack to the older FFs because they're vastly different from each other, maybe FFXII is the closest but it isn't as action oriented as FFXV. Nevermind XIII and below because they're ATB (but FFXIII is the flashiest ATB).

Ixion

Have no interest in wanting gritty/realistic or less pretty main characters. MC's older version is the perfect balance for me in that regard and as far as I'll go.

Nothing wrong with a pretty boy if he’s also cool. Cloud and Squall are pretty boys, but are also just very cool designs. Zidane and Tidus look like chicks, but they also have a goofy design and outfit (and funny personalities).

Lightning is actually a hot chick instead of just looking like one. She has a cool design too. Noctis is pretty cool, but should have lost the capri pants.

Vaan just looks like a lame ass Karen, and the younger version of FF16’s main character doesn’t look much better (thankfully it’s just there to emphasize the character maturing over time from what we can tell).

Last edited:

Kumomeme

talk about gender but based on the trailer and the team track record on XIV, this time we might get not only 'strong' female character in game, but also didnt expose their skin unlike lot of female character in ff game this past decade.

royox

If you only played XV you don't know what a Final Fantasy is.

What I can tell you is that XVI is being developed by the best team Squareenix has just now so you can expect a complete game, something that XV never managed to be even with its movies, animes, books, novels, and 100 DLCs.

How will this be diff from ff15?

For the looks of it, and knowing the people working on it, lorewise will be closer to the most classic Final Fantasy games (NES, SNES era), also Medieval Phantasy ages so don't expect cars but expect castles, empires, invasions, magic, tons of magic, and medieval weaponry with the Japanese RPG fancyness. Knowing the battle system is done by the person that was in charge of the combat in Devil May Cry 5 we can expect real combos and no more "hold X to fight". A combat with more deep and more skill based than the automathon that was XV.

In short words, if you loved an incomplete mess like FFXV, with more plotholes than a sweedish cheese, filled of DLCs, with characters never developed on-screen......FFXVI is going to blow your fucking mind.

Ixion

talk about gender but based on the trailer and the team track record on XIV, this time we might get not only 'strong' female character in game, but also didnt expose their skin unlike lot of female character in ff game this past decade.

This looks to be the first M-rated Final Fantasy based on the blood levels. If so, I wonder if they take advantage of that and go full Witcher/Game of Thrones with the sexuality.

Myths

Possibly, though there's a few differences between these tattooed guys and L'Cie as they've been shown before.

Regardless, I wouldn't necessarily look at "L'Cie," like it's a dirty word. This trailer also had Summons, chocobos, crystals, and a Malboro. Final Fantasy likes to reuse certain names and concepts as a way to tie what is otherwise an anthology series together. Honestly, they haven't "added," anything to repeating lore in like 15 years, so if L'Cie are present, they're more than likely just a FF thing that's being incorporated into the lexicon of the series, rather than a tie to the Fabula Nova Crystalis lore.
It’s a way to describe, not a connotation about the word. We know concepts are reused with some twist in practically every FF. “l’Cie” is what comes to mind when I read about inability to defy orders plus a brand on the side. It shouldn’t be a surprise for someone who’s played FNC to draw cursory comparisons based on that translation. We don’t know if there’s anything deeper to the defiance or the branding.

The same quick thought would come to mind if I heard about FF5 back in the day: FF3 or FF1 as a basis.

You mean the group at the beginning? Nah. It's more a mark as part of their assassination group.
The marks tell us what clan they’re a part of sure, I was just more focused on what the user had translated.

sublimit

Banned

He makes some good points one of them about the combat being reminescent of games like DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma alluding that Ryota Suzuki who worked on both games as lead designer is actually being involved in FFXVI. He has been in SE for a while now working on a secret project.

Last edited:

Ixion

i doubt that. not suprise if there gonna be huge uproar if they did this. personally i also didnt want that.

Yeah, if anything it might go partially towards that, but definitely not full Dinklage. Never go full Dinklage.

Final Fantasy Type-0 is M rate

Huh, didn't realize that (played it once when it came out 5 years ago). I guess there were some pretty brutal deaths in that game. But yeah, I'm glad to see the franchise gradually move towards an M-rating. I think it makes sense for the series these days because in the olden days, due to the less realistic visuals and less strict ratings, you could get away with a lot more and still have a T-rating. But now to do the same things you'd have to go M.

One odd thing about the FF7 Remake was how nearly everything about the game screamed M-rating, from the constant cursing to the brothels and skimpy characters, but they had to remove all blood to stay at T. And that just looked kind of jarring sometimes, especially with the more realistic visuals in the remake. So hopefully Part 2 goes M (I doubt it), but at least FFXVI is going there.

sublimit

Banned
7OPnRA8.png

They really to bring the entire game up to atleast this standard visually.
I don't think they can tbh.

Don't get me wrong i don't care about photorealism and i already love FFXVI's art direction but i don't believe anymore that SE has what it takes to make something as technically ambitious as that character model with in-game graphics.

Lethal01

I don't think they can tbh.

Don't get me wrong i don't care about photorealism and i already love FFXVI's art direction but i don't believe anymore that SE has what it takes to make something as technically ambitious as that character model with in-game graphics.

Why would you think that? They've delivered fantastic visuals in XV and 7 Remake.
Granted Remake has times it looked bad but usually it looked top of the line.

Them making games that are graphically top tier for the generation is par for the course isn't it? That's why people think it's so strange that this game looks lack luster.

I can however, Agree that I'd be 10 times more excited for a final fnatasy game with the Tactics artstyle in 3d using the same kind of system that Arc system works uses for GuiltyGear and Dragon Ball FighterZ. But they are aiming for realism and so the closer they are to achieving it, the better the game will look.

Last edited:

Myths

Tbh, it would’ve been nice too see this games graphics direction match that of FFXIV CG. I’m asking too much.

Lethal01

I feel like they shouldn't go nuts with the graphics and focus on others things. The game doesn't look awful and it will definitely look better at release, but they need to keep their heads in what's actually important and what will make people like it.

I will like it if it looks much better.

sublimit

Banned
Why would you think that? They've delivered fantastic visuals in XV and 7 Remake.
Granted Remake has times it looked bad but usually it looked top of the line.

Them making games that are graphically top tier for the generation is par for the course isn't it? That's why people think it's so strange that this game looks lack luster.

I can however, Agree that I'd be 10 times more excited for a final fnatasy game with the Tactics artstyle in 3d using the same kind of system that Arc system works uses for GuiltyGear and Dragon Ball FighterZ. But they are aiming for realism and so the closer they are to achieving it, the better the game will look.
Nothing in both FFXV and FFVIIR looked like that. Also both games were very inconsistent in terms of character models especially FFVIIR. The main characters looked very good but the NPCs looked really bad.

I don't know if it's because they are not technically capable enough to have in-game graphics that look like that or it's because that kind of graphical quality would raise their budget significantly more and they don't expect a new FF to make enough profits that will justify that raise in production costs but i think after the disasters that were both FFXIV (initially) and Versus/FFXV they stopped chasing graphical fidelity and they are probably a lot less ambitious in terms of graphics now. Which is probably a good thing since that will let them focus on what's important which is the actual gameplay. Based on his interviews i understand that Yoshida is a very down to earth guy who likes to focus more on gameplay than graphics. I remember how he said that when he took the helm of FFXIV's development team he couldn't believe that there were artists who were working on a rock for a whole week.

I have faith that he will deliver a solid and artistically beautiful FF but i don't expect that FFXVI will push any graphical boundaries.

I understand that it's a sad realization that a company as ambitious as SE used to be is no more like that but i think that's the reality.

Also i don't think "they are aiming for realism" tbh. It's more of a stylized realism which personally i actually prefer. But of course there is still a lot of room to improve their stylized realism. ;)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like they shouldn't go nuts with the graphics and focus on others things. The game doesn't look awful and it will definitely look better at release, but they need to keep their heads in what's actually important and what will make people like it.
I agree, I already really like the art direction in FFXVI, so I rather see them focus on the actual "game" part rather than putting their resource having the most high tech graphics.

Lethal01

Nothing in both FFXV and FFVIIR looked like that. Also both games were very inconsistent in terms of character models especially FFVIIR. The main characters looked very good but the NPCs looked really bad.

I don't know if it's because they are not technically capable enough to have in-game graphics that look like that or it's because that kind of graphical quality would raise their budget significantly more and they don't expect a new FF to make enough profits that will justify that raise in production costs but i think after the disasters that were both FFXIV (initially) and Versus/FFXV they stopped chasing graphical fidelity and they are probably a lot less ambitious in terms of graphics now. Which is probably a good thing since that will let them focus on what's important which is the actual gameplay. Based on his interviews i understand that Yoshida is a very down to earth guy who likes to focus more on gameplay than graphics. I remember how he said that when he took the helm of FFXIV's development team he couldn't believe that there were artists who were working on a rock for a whole week.

I have faith that he will deliver a solid and artistically beautiful FF but i don't expect that FFXVI will push any graphical boundaries.

I understand that it's a sad realization that a company as ambitious as SE used to be is no more like that but i think that's the reality.

Also i don't think "they are aiming for realism" tbh. It's more of a stylized realism which personally i actually prefer. But of course there is still a lot of room to improve their stylized realism. ;)

OH it's definitely not realistic in terms of character design, but it's definitely realistic enough that it's definitely not a choice to have objects with no shadows or low resolution textures.

Also, you are right that nothing in FFVIIR looks like that specifically, but the point is that their last games looked extremely graphically impressive for the generation they were in, so I expect that their new game will be extremely graphically impressive for the next gen.

I doubt they decided to focus less on graphics FFVII:R still had a huge focus on high quality visuals.

Lethal01

Is chasing graphics really that sustainable?

Persona and Dragon Quest are hardly on the cutting edge but are producing better games than recent Final Fantasy

This may have been true but Final Fantasy VII:R definitely beats them both.

So yes, you can have good graphics and a good game.

Would much prefer a stylized Final Fantasy game though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is chasing graphics really that sustainable?

Persona and Dragon Quest are hardly on the cutting edge but are producing better games than recent Final Fantasy
Its actually one of the reason we we no longer going to see turn based FF anymore. FF is expensive to make so they need to sell high numbers and since turn based combat became "niche" they cant effort FF having that combat style. Meanwhile SMT/Persona and Dragon Quest don't have expensive graphics so they don't need to sell huge numbers to be successful and able to keep the turn based combat system.

Yoboman

This may have been true but Final Fantasy VII:R definitely beats them both.

So yes, you can have good graphics and a good game.

Would much prefer a stylized Final Fantasy game though.
FFVII R is extremely limited though. Its like 10% of the original games scope. Chasing budgets and highest quality of graphics has been a major FF issue for years.

If they simplify the graphics somewhat and pour resources into more and better quests, story telling, airships, open world, cities. And after that focus on polishing up the graphics then I will say their priorities are right

Yoboman

Its actually one of the reason we we no longer going to see turn based FF anymore. FF is expensive to make so they need to sell high numbers and since turn based combat became "niche" they cant effort FF having that combat style. Meanwhile SMT/Persona and Dragon Quest don't have expensive graphics so they don't need to sell huge numbers to be successful and able to keep the turn based combat system.
I really could care less if they chose turn based, action or something in between. I can count on one hand the amount of RPGs that combat has been a major draw

Lethal01

FFVII R is extremely limited though. Its like 10% of the original games scope. Chasing budgets and highest quality of graphics has been a major FF issue for years.

Nah, they took 10% of the original game and made it 100X bigger. The story may based on a segment of the original but compared to other modern games it's just as full, while also looking and playing great.

I'm not saying that them putting less budget towards graphics is wrong. Just saying that just this year they demonstrated they could make a very good looking games with great story and gameplay that also looks top of the line.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Nah, they took 10% of the original game and made it 100X bigger. The story may only be a segment of the original but compared to other modern games it's just as full, while also looking and playing great.

I'm not saying that them putting less budget towards graphics is wrong. Just saying that just this year they demonstrated they could make a very good looking games with great story and gameplay that also looks top of the line.
My guess is that being a different division with different directors and producers, they have different visions and priorities, maybe XVI will improve in different aspects and VIIR could copy those ideas during development and make an ever better product in part 2.
As an example If XVI got the go ahead to make it a M rating game and it's a success, maybe VIIR Part 2 will be allowed to do the same, while in part 1 they had to censor blood and cutscenes to keep it under M.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

My guess is that being a different division with different directors and producers, they have different visions and priorities, maybe XVI will improve in different aspects and VIIR could copy those ideas during development and make an ever better product in part 2.
As an example If XVI got the go ahead to make it a M rating game and it's a success, maybe VIIR Part 2 will be allowed to do the same, while in part 1 they had to censor blood and cutscenes to keep it under M.

Yoshida has always been about graphics, so long as they don't hinder gameplay. Being that this still isn't even running on a PS5, it makes me think that it probably doesn't have all the bells and whistles associated with that yet as well. Expect to see a graphical jump next year when they drop more info.

For all we know, they might not even have their texture streaming solution in-place yet.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Sure, I was specifically addressing the claim that they aren't capable enough to.

I'm just saying that they need to increase the quality of the lighting and shaders before release, I don't think that's some insane expectation that require decreasing the scope of the game and spending less time on gameplay.

Top Bottom