• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

skit_data

Something tells me Square Enix won't have to worry about those supposedly low preorders anymore. It's fun to see so many people sharing my opinion on the demo. That end will stick with me for a while. I personally think this might be the best set up/intro sequence since The Last of Us IMO. At least in terms of leaving you in a pretty strong emotional turmoil.

You found the enemies tanky? Did you play the second part of the demo with more abilities? because I found it to be the complete opposite - enemies were melting left and right (except for the bosses and harder ones)
I'm uploading it now, once you know what you're doing I'm actually worried the enemies might not be sturdy enough. I just MELTED Benedicta like she didn't get a phase 1 melted. Like phase two took all of 3 minutes melted. I thought all Eikon abilities were supposed to be similar damage, if you just run up and blast people with Titans Charged punch into rapid punch then get one block and cyclone wing off bene drops in phase 1. The counter block damage is way the fuck too high.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was pretty excited for this, but man did it leave me underwhelmed. Everything is just so brown and grey, and already feels incredibly linear. The graphics are great in moments, but at times look just on par with 15. Probably gonna wait for a sale now.

The devs stated there are very large, open areas later on. This is the prologue to set up the story and a dungeon with the second half of the demo with Benedikta.

NeoLed

Not really an opinion when it's as biased as yours.

Wanna run a poll on how many people in this forum already knew where you would stand on this game? No matter how it turns out? I mean... 70% of your criticism the demo thread, about the demo, was made before you even played the demo...

And damn.... some of the criticisms you have... makes me wonder why you ven come into FF16 threads.
He wants the game to fail, thats why he is here, spreading bad takes to scare potential buyers away. Turn based or dead to the franchise he said. Little mental

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He wants the game to fail, thats why he is here, spreading bad takes to scare potential buyers away.
I don’t if they just not in to the game but actively wants to fail just personally don’t like it is beyond fucked up and and downright childish.

GenericUser

This demo far exceeded my expectations. I thought my goty would be decided between Diablo 4 and Starfield, but the demo of FF16 showed me that there is a third contender. Absolutely fantastic demo. Everything just falls into its place. I wonder if the final game can further solidify this first impression. If you can stomach the real time combat system, I think we are in for a treat FF bros! This is the first time I'm "hyped" about a final fantasy game since .... FF10, basically.

downloading now. If this is good it'll be my first FF game. Was never a fan of turn based combat. The switch up has me intrigued.
The realtime combat is good, I think. I hope you'll have fun.

Last edited:
Finally finished the demo and it was an experience. I can't wait for the release date. The thing I like the most so far? The story. And the fact that the trailers mostly focused on these opening two hours! The only other thing? It kind of reminded me playing MGS4 back in the day, and in a good way. There were a lot of cutscenes.

Now I'm planning on replaying it, but with LatAm Spanish dub this time. A first for a SQEX game.

This is not a FF game, but just as you thinking it is is your own opinion, so mine is about thinking what this game is. Sales will be what determines the franchises future.

Things never change, I guess? People have been saying "this is not a Final Fantasy game" since the days of --at least-- Final Fantasy VII on the PS1 (because it wasn't fantasy anymore. Because it wasn't sprite-based. Because it wasn't on a Nintendo console, etc etc etc). It has become a part of the Final Fantasy folklore.

More impressions:

-Visuals are really nice even if the initial environments use a muted color palette
-I'm enjoying the voice cast and how the characters are being developed.
-QTEs for opening doors or kicking down barriers feels really outdated.
-Combat feels fine but the Goblin bosses felt spongy. Maybe I just suck at the combat but dodge to avoid attacks, use Phoenix ability to close the gap and hit hard and then use your special ability once the meter feels. Both fights felt twice as long as they needed to be. *fake edit* 3rd boss fight is much the same.
-Environments feel static. It feels like you should be able to smash those old barrels and crates in the goblin village but nope.
-Now I'm playing a bad version of Panzer Dragoon Orta. All sizzle no steak.
-The setup for story definitely got its' hooks into me.

I'm more interested than I was but I might try easy mode to see if the boss battles are less dragged out.
The cinematic doors was really bad. I shouldn't have to do three QTEs just to open one door.

Terrible choice by them.

Danjin44

Things never change, I guess? People have been saying "this is not a Final Fantasy game" since the days of --at least-- Final Fantasy VII on the PS1 (because it wasn't fantasy anymore. Because it wasn't sprite-based. Because it wasn't on a Nintendo console, etc etc etc). It has become a part of the Final Fantasy folklore.
Some people cant help themselves, they like complain for sake of complaining.

Just started but….

Press triangle awhile falling in a pit… when ifirit and Phoenix were fighting it’s sometimes hard to tell what’s going on, just a mass of red and brown with sparky particles everywhere.

Can’t say starting in a brown area was the best choice. Visually uninspired and bland.

I know people will hate, but I’m about 20 mins in and I don’t see anything that couldn’t have been done on PS4.

The setting is everything I feared it would be, generic medieval fantasy. English accents, king comes home, war on the horizon, oh no. Just feels like I’ve experienced this 10,000 times already across various media.

I’m setting out for the Phoenix Gate now, I’d love to be wrong and fall in love with this but I’m not seeing it yet…

Edit.
Hold R2 to open hard doors!!
Why?! Lmfao, so pointless. Just animate him struggling a bit. This is a perfect example of shallow depth.

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
That ending tho..sheesh

ron burgundy GIF

Played the demo. Wow im blown away.

Reminds me of a mix between final fantasy tactics and game of thrones with an absolute bombastic soundtrack.
Combat is a bit like FF 7 remake and bloodborne/darksouls lite. I like it

I'm definitely tempted to buy a full price game again. Not sure if i will, but im tempted in a long time. ;)

Pelao

I played both the prologue and the Eikon Challenge twice, once in Japanese and once in Latin American Spanish.
I must say that I really liked what I played, the tone, the characters and, most importantly, the gameplay, especially in the Eikon Challenge. I will definitely be there day one.
I played it in performance mode on a TV with VRR. The combat feels fluid, but there are very noticeable drops in the cinematics and in some very busy exploration sections or with a lot of fire effects.

"And lo, the doubters shall be shamed and the Kingdom will rejoice, for the Fantasy has returned"

- The Book of Clive

A little over a week to go, no need to play the demo, after almost a year of media blackout everything will be a surprise. My most anticipated game of 2023, loving Diablo 4 and Street Fighter 6 but once this drops everything else is getting put to the side, Final Fantasy for life.

"And lo, the doubters shall be shamed and the Kingdom will rejoice, for the Fantasy has returned"

- The Book of Clive

A little over a week to go, no need to play the demo, after almost a year of media blackout everything will be a surprise. My most anticipated game of 2023, loving Diablo 4 and Street Fighter 6 but once this drops everything else is getting put to the side, Final Fantasy for life.
Pull yourself together man!
After a year in media blackout what the hell are you doing in this thread. Get out at once. be strong!!

The morbol fight was good, but nothing to write home about. Dodge, attack, ect. The whole dodge timing thing is basically a staple of action games now.

Also, now when you come across something, not only do you have to hold R2, you have to press X first! Jfc…. So pointless.

Oh no! A nighttime attack on the camp! Didn’t see this coming!

Ok, yes, I’m being overly hard on the game. Maybe it’s because I grew up with this series, and I never thought they’d turn it into an action game.

Final Game of Witcher Thrones Fantasy May Cry

Edit.
Holy shit, it’s the boy from Plague Tale isn’t it? Lolol

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Just finished both parts, loved it. The ring that helps you dodge and the ring that does all combos automatically for you are pretty OP.

nowhat

the king=ned stark
scheming queen=cersei
the hero=jon snow
the kid=bran

they even have a pet wolf
Spoilers for the end of the demo/GoT:

if they'd killed off Bran right at the beginning of the series, GoT would have been better for it[/ispoiler]

final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-cjx9496cw.jpg

Problem solved.
For sure, I’m just an old man yelling at the clouds.

And yet… I think the FF7R project has been amazing so far and Rebirth looks like it’s going to be fantastic. The system in that game is the perfect blend of action and turn based. Way better than what they have here imo.

GreyHand23

Combat and music are pretty amazing and I can already see there’s enough depth to the combat that there is a massive gap between great players and bad players. Definitely excited to jump in day 1 now.

rofif

Banned
Don’t remember when that happened but I had trouble sleeping lol.
I was thinking about the game and I couldn’t stop hearing the swamp music :p

Last edited:

Danjin44

For sure, I’m just an old man yelling at the clouds.

And yet… I think the FF7R project has been amazing so far and Rebirth looks like it’s going to be fantastic. The system in that game is the perfect blend of action and turn based. Way better than what they have here imo.
I personally highly enjoyed the combat for both FFVIIR and and FFXVI demo and getting both FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth day fucking one.
giphy.gif

IAmRei

How deep the story and writing feel ? Is it your JRPG standard fare or more akin to a Witcher like universe (with heavy geopolitics, lore, character motivations etc)?
if you ever played ff 12 or ff tactics or vagrant story, should be like that

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Only two hours and already feels like playing a PS ONE era FF, that is a classic entry that will shape the franchise for years to come. And it feels as much as FF as those. With a likeable cast of characters and superb chemistry among them! You know when you’re playing this demo that THIS IS IT, this is the entry the franchise needed NOW more than ever to rise HIGHER. Everything seems to be tailored to define what a FF must be today.

Shifty1897

Well, I don't know what I expected when I sat down to play this demo, but it wasn't that. Combat is good, not amazing yet but I haven't unlocked the late game combat section yet. Story is definitely interesting, I'm hooked and want to know more.

But the music... my God, OST of the year so far. So many old school callbacks to Final Fantasy music woven into the soundtrack, it's so good. Everyone should be playing this game with a set of headphones on. And the graphics, I've been playing in performance mode and yes the frame rate is jumping all over the place (I think it's still staying at or above 30 the whole time) in some setpiece moments, but I'm impressed with it so far, it feels like a next gen only game, which is nice since we don't have a ton of those yet.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
what an amazing demo, super impressed and i can't wait for more.

The combat is great, the story is great, the voice cast is great...just A+ all around.

I am a massive FF fan and this is a welcome change, a huge step up.

9 more days :)

Yeah this may end up being my favorite FF game of all time

It’s the perfect package of everything I’ve wanted the series to be for such a long time

Amazing graphics, music, combat, and incredible script/writing. Hell, even the UI and use of haptics is on incredible display here…it’s just insanely polished. Haven’t noticed any performance issues either and 30fps is absolutely fluid for me

The knocked it out of the friggin universe with this

Last edited:

anaslexy

Is anyone else having issues with performance mode. The game stutters, blanks out and I see my tv screen showing hdmi4 connection screen and it goes back into the game. No issues with graphics mode.

Lethal01

We haven’t got SP only FF with pure fantasy setting for a long time now we getting one, variety is a good thing so I don’t see the problem here.

Variety does really benefit me if it's something I'm just not interested, I wouldn't use the word "problem" but it's just a total negative for me, I gain nothing.

ergem

The only question mark left for me is how fun would the rpg elements would be. I would like to be excited about leveling up my character and collecting rare weapons.

Danjin44

Variety does really benefit me if it's something I'm just not interested, I wouldn't use the word "problem" but it's just a total negative for me, I gain nothing.
This is gonna sound mean but too bad? I guess the game is just not for you.

You cant tell me this aint a full fledge FF14 campaign . Everything they learned from FF14 shows. Heavenward, Bloodstorm, Shadowbringer. They took all the best aspects of an MMO and turned it into a singleplayer.
It’s actually making me want to…find a YouTube cutscene compilation of 14 to see how good it is(sorry I just wasn’t a fan of 14’s combat compared to 11).

Meicyn

Gold Member
It’s actually making me want to…find a YouTube cutscene compilation of 14 to see how good it is(sorry I just wasn’t a fan of 14’s combat compared to 11).
Shadowbringers is where they decided to take the kids gloves off.

If you want to see the moment where the game goes into some wild territory, major spoilers, here you go:

Top Bottom