• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Lokaum D+

Even if this is somehow pre-rendered, the cinematic direction here is top notch. Games like this make me thankful for the monumental impact that people like Hideo Kojima had on the entire video game industry.

Lol, no need to put those games down to prop up FF 16. I do think that we're reaching a point where bullshots and fake footage will eventually be gone in 1 to 2 more generations. However, I think that the next important thing developers have to ensure is making their games look 'next gen' in other ways. Being on point cinematically(and I don't just mean cutscenes), is one of those key factors. Even if FF 16 was cross gen I would be impressed by it's level of direction, because what they've done makes it feel ahead of other past Square Enix projects.
I'm not putting those games down, i m just talking the truth here.

Star Wars Outlaws was just a gameplay trailer by Ubisoft and we know how this could end.

Matrix game is amazing, never seen anything close to the scale of that this generation, but its not a game, is a tech demo.

Horizon is amazing too, one of the few games that looks next gen, but i dont like the game, hate Alloy tbh

FF16 been next gen or not i really dont care, i m been playing FF games since 94, in the last TWO decades ( since FFX ) final fantasy games have only been getting worse imo ,i can only hope that 16 ll be an amazing FF to surpass the old ones from the golden age of SquareSoft.

Last edited:
For the few people who decide to come into a FF 16 thread to non stop complain about FF 16

giphy.gif

Thanks for fighting an entire thread just to help keep the thread alive and the game relevant to discussion. I hope to see you keeping the |OT| on the front page as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Eh, it still fell too much into typical jrpg tropes in my book. Overly dramatic scenes, le epic titan fight, too much enphasis on the "DARK" and "GRITTy" instead of just letting things flow and blend naturally, throw in some interpersonal drama right from the get go and a narrative that feels too much like its building up to be classic monomyth and you have a shonen manga.

Throwing in dark filter, death, shock scenes and betrayal won't make a story look any less juvenile by themselves if the story still follows scripts out of shonen mangas. Not like i have anything against those, it can be entertaining in a cheesy sort of way like old Resident Evil games, but its not good to take itself too seriously like what i saw here.
If you mean is still is very anime then yeah but thats what I want, I mean Vinland Saga still very much "anime" as well, same with shows like Berserk and Moribito.

Heck it was same with Drakengard, is was dark and twisted but very much anime.

Last edited:

tommycronin

Skipped scenes because I didn't want to ruin the story for the full game release. I wanted to see how the gameplay felt, and it felt horrible.
That's exactly what I've been saying. I just wanted to see how the game runs for myself in combat not to have the whole story shoved down my throat in a demo. What made it worse is that it's constant cutscenes and then very poor snippets of gameplay. People are getting upset because you skip heavy story driven cutscenes in a demo like cmon we're hear to demo your game not sit back and watch a movie.

Guilty_AI

If you mean is still is very anime then yeah but thats what I want, I mean Vinland Saga still very much "anime" as well, same with shows like Berserk and Moribito.
What i'm saying is you're calling this Vinland Saga and Berserk when its actually Tokyo Ghoul.

>Click video
>It's that dude racks up twenty minute videos to explain a one minute video in response
>Instantly close video

I'm good. I'd rather hear what Dunkey has to say.
It's not about whether he's liked or disliked here. It's more about the fact that he has massive reach and just said tons of great things about the demo. A youtuber who gets views in the millions being genuinely impressed by their work is the best case scenario for Square Enix and CBU 3.

Haven't finished the demo yet but so far I like what I'm playing.
As I get older I seem to care less and less about cutscenes, I'll find myself looking at my phone and shit while I listen - just I don't seem to give a fuck about cutscenes which there seems to be alot of.

The gameplay is fun and should get better as stuff unlocks. I wish they went full DMC 4/5 rather than this go between.

Graphics I'm not too impressed with, not sure the main character models look any better than the ff7 remake on the PS4 certainly not the ps5 version (outside of cutscenes). It's hard to believe they're both running on the same engine.

Teslerum

What i'm saying is you're calling this Vinland Saga and Berserk when its actually Tokyo Ghoul.
No, because of the edgy and overly dramatic approach to dark themes, that ends up making it hard to take seriously.
Berserk... isn't?

What?

Berserk has a scene that's legendary and about 5'000'000 times more edgy and over dramatic than anything in here framing its entire story.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Hey you're right! And FFXVI was inspired by Devil May Cry and Game of Thrones.

hKv88Kt.jpg
Which is sad and the reason why XVI is a FF game only in the logo, given that he copies DMC and Game of Throne, instead of just being inspired by it, and ditched FF entirely.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
>Click video
>It's that dude racks up twenty minute videos to explain a one minute video in response
>Instantly close video

I'm good. I'd rather hear what Dunkey has to say.

Dunkey is backed up as shit. No summer games fest video. No xbox/Starfield showcase video. No Diablo IV video. He barely got around to Street Fighter 6 yesterday. I dont think he’ll bother with this demo.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How long is this demo? I doubt I will enjoy it (I absolutely hated the few hours I could stand of FF7R), but might at least give it a try.

lyan

Doesn't matter? We invented the wheel because someone saw a round rock rolling through a cliff and got inspired by it. ATB was a creation that FF created, heavy storytelling was something FF pioneered(And this part started with the first game).

Being INSPIRED by something is very different than chasing a trend. BOTW was inspired by open world games, but it created its own identity by doing something unique with that inspiration. That's not chasing a trend, not in the sense that you are implying.
ATB is just ordering actions with a speed stat, functionally it exists more for presentation. I would say THE FF gameplay staple is classes system but by now maybe half the FF games don't make use of it...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Barely starred the demo, but I feel like some hot takes are missing the Forest for the trees. The character models might not be Naughty Dog tier, or whatever, but the character models in tandem with the scope of the areas, parts of the area changing in real time, all the models on screen at once, the cinematography, everything working in concert just FEELS like MGS4 felt on launch day on the PS3. Just a game that presents itself and behaves like you'd expect something to on a new console. I dunno, hard to put exact words to it, but that's my flaming take.

Guilty_AI

Berserk... isn't?

What?

Berserk has a scene that's legendary and about 5'000'000 times more edgy and over dramatic than anything in here framing its entire story.
That scene is also incredibly well drawn and had a strong buildup to it. I think what you and i are calling "edgy" and "overly dramatic" here are vastly different things. I'm talking about framing story bits without the baggage.

That scene of Ifrit ripping apart the phoenix is the perfect example. As someone mentioned its obviously a nod to Evangelion, yet also obviously not as good or impactful. Thats because that scene in Evangelion had a lot more baggage.
Just pasting "dark things" into the story without buildup is what differentiates truly memorable and dramatic moments, from something thats just melodramatic and edgy.

Last edited:
It is definitely bordering on "interactive movie" territory for me too. Lots of story, not much gameplay, people defending it as "this is just the beginning of the game, all RPGS have crazy long intro sequences".

I finished the Morbol fight last night and wanted to save my game. I sat through about 45 minutes of cutscenes before I had control of my character again.

Like you, I love a lot of stuff about this game (music, graphics, story, etc.) but it's extremely light on actual gameplay. Hoping the naysayers are right in that it opens up later to become more of a game and less of a "movie where you occasionally press buttons to arrive at the pre-determined outcome"
This is kinda how I'm feeling after the demo.
I don't have a problem with a story heavy games whatsoever, but I do think the balance here was just... off/questionable. The story itself also hasn't been a *total* hook in my case yet (the end was a highlight for sure though) but that I'll give slack. Will definitely try the Eikon Challenge again though, had to stop a couple of encounters into it.

I think people are misreading some pretty reasonable complaints/concerns as just dumping on the game or wanting it to fail, as opposed to those concerns likely resulting in tempered expectations and maybe a more critical view

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is kinda how I'm feeling after the demo.
I don't have a problem with a story heavy games whatsoever, but I do think the balance here was just... off/questionable. The story itself also hasn't been a *total* hook in my case yet (the end was a highlight for sure though) but that I'll give slack. Will definitely try the Eikon Challenge again though, had to stop a couple of encounters into it.

I think people are misreading some pretty reasonable complaints/concerns as just dumping on the game or wanting it to fail, as opposed to those concerns likely resulting in tempered expectations and maybe a more critical views
Yup. Not knocking the game - it is what it is. I'm just hoping the balance between movie and game shifts more to the "game" side of things as it opens up beyond the demo.

I have the game pre-ordered. Playing through the demo didn't make me want to cancel my pre-order or anything.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Barely starred the demo, but I feel like some hot takes are missing the Forest for the trees. The character models might not be Naughty Dog tier, or whatever, but the character models in tandem with the scope of the areas, parts of the area changing in real time, all the models on screen at once, the cinematography, everything working in concert just FEELS like MGS4 felt on launch day on the PS3. Just a game that presents itself and behaves like you'd expect something to on a new console. I dunno, hard to put exact words to it, but that's my flaming take.

I got that MGS4 vibe pretty strongly too, its not that the visuals are the most detailed or life-like, but the overall construction/composition of everything is just so consistent and solid.

Robbinhood

Banned
Question friends,

I have this preordered, I was thinking I can play the two hour intro a day or two before release and lead into it but I heard the main game is more up to date so i don’t want to play something less polished as my first impression. Is this valid?

Nautilus

Banned
ATB is just ordering actions with a speed stat, functionally it exists more for presentation. I would say THE FF gameplay staple is classes system but by now maybe half the FF games don't make use of it...
Maybe. ATB just puts pressure into making you take decisions faster, which I like. (And also another reason why I think FF 7 Remake combat system is sublime(as its a call back to that) and why that game combat system should have been XVI's, but that's a discussion for another thread.

rofif

Banned
Question friends,

I have this preordered, I was thinking I can play the two hour intro a day or two before release and lead into it but I heard the main game is more up to date so i don’t want to play something less polished as my first impression. Is this valid?
It’s true. This is 1.01 and full is 1.03 apparently.
But save data goes into the full game.

Synless

I will say I’m in alignment that the Eikon battle in the demo was pure shit. Also, pressing R2 to open doors.

everything else was pure fire though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Question friends,

Its less polished peeformance-wise but content-wise its the same. You should play the demo to see if you actually like the gameplay and wanna keep or cancel your preorder. I personally loved it.

mortal

Gold Member
H6IKya2.gif

That opening was incredible. Reliving a traumatic memory of Clive as he gazes into the campfire.
There's something hauntingly beautiful about the scene; The imagery of warriors resting around a campfire encapsulates a quintessential Final Fantasy feeling for me.

Music

H6IK4YN.gif

The soundtrack is phenomenal, and probably my favorite element. It's so booming, with many evocative pieces that enhance the atmosphere scene after scene.
I really admire the way the music is mixed in this game, particularly when it swells during battles as opposed to distinct field and battle tracks.
The entire experience felt like listening to an orchestral suite.

Masayoshi Soken arguably delivers his best work in this installment.

Characters​

H6If9vS.gif

The characterization in FFXVI is possibly some of the best I’ve seen in any FF game.
The performances, particularly in the English dub, breathe life into an array of strong personalities.

Seeing small details like characters indulging in vices and being overtly sexual, paint a world of moral ambiguity, making them a bit more emotionally complex and intriguing.
Having said all that, there's still a touch of melodrama and romanticism that Final Fantasy games are often known for.

Although not every character left a strong impression, I enjoyed most of their interactions in the demo.

Writing​

H6Ic3EQ.gif

Game of Thrones/ ASOIAF inspirations is very apparent in the political intrigue and machinations.
I enjoyed the books and the shows, so I don’t consider it an issue. Although some of the more obvious parallels were amusing to see.

The more mature tone is something that I’ve been dying to see from a Final Fantasy entry for years.
A critical & commercially successful M-rated mainline entry opens the door to so many interesting narrative possibilities that were previously confined to spin-offs.
It’s playing the role I think Versus XIII would have, had it not been rebooted and given a T rating.

I'm curious to learn about more of the lore in the full game. I already know that I'll read the Active Time Lore stuff quite often.

Art Design​

H6IKp3l.gif

Some will find it dull or uninspired, but I find FFXVI’s combination of a modern style of presentation with classic motifs to be aesthetically pleasing.
Was also pleased by much it leaned into the Medieval Europe-inspired trappings with the world-building. A rather refined blend of grounded and fantastical elements.
The environments are wonderfully detailed, with pretty nice natural lighting during the day and these rich colors at night.

I generally like the UI design. Could even be mistaken for an Ivalice FF, with some of that design language.
Menu navigation is responsive, with some nice visual/audible feedback.

Despite the fantastic animations in combat and cutscenes, I think the facial animations were rather poor, and could've used more expressive faces.
Naughty Dog games have some of the most natural-looking character acting I've seen in any game.
Maybe Square Enix should consider incorporating some of their techniques. I think the storytelling and drama would benefit immensely.

Gameplay​

H6TJ2xj.gif

I played the game in both 60fps and 30fps. While the combat feels better to play in performance mode, there is some very noticeable loss in image quality.
However, 30fps gameplay outside of battles didn't hamper my enjoyment.

Exploration of the environment is fairly basic, with limited interaction with the surroundings.
The lack of physics or reactions from NPCs can sometimes disrupt the immersion.

However, the game shines in its battle system, momentum really is the bread and butter.
This is one of those battle systems that reward elegant players, with a dodge mechanic that feels very satisfying to pull off.
I like that it also allows players to practice mastering the mechanics without having to engage an enemy, a sign of a good action game imo.
Although I found the camera somewhat troublesome in tight spaces during battles.
I found myself needing to reorient myself multiple times during some battles after zipping around with the Phoenix shift.

The on-rails sections are not ideal. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of prolonged scripted sequences in games, but I must admit they make for quite the visual spectacle.
In a sense, they can be viewed as "playable cutscenes," so I suppose it's a better alternative to sitting the controller down for minutes at a time.

Although I consider it far from perfect, for me, the pros outweigh the cons.
This will be my first day 1 game in years. I'm eager to return to this world and its characters.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I honestly dont understand how anyone could see these Aeikon fights as gameplay....I literally just moved a cursor around a screen until it turned into a circle and pressed triangle.......

Is this 2023's answer to Dragon's Lair....?

Am I just this out of touch...the game is far too easy, I just spam square, performance is atrocious even in fights in this demo....Im actually sat here baffled that people think this is good....I just can't see it and genuinely feel so out of touch.

The music is absolutely amazing, the graphics are nuts...the story seems really decent....but this isn't a game at all to me, and definitely not a final fantasy GAME......I hope Rebirth is nothing like this as I loved FF7 remake.
Bruh its a spectacle. Just mindless fun. There is enough gameplay in the combat to tide anyone over. Those Eikon fights are just interactive cinematic cutscenes for the feels.

I can't get that song during that battle out of my head. I am humming it right now as I type.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Bruh its a spectacle. Just mindless fun. There is enough gameplay in the combat to tide anyone over. Those Eikon fights are just interactive cinematic cutscenes for the fees.

I can't get that song during that battle out of my head. I am humming it right now as I type.

Not to mention you do have actual 1v1 combat moments witht he eikons both as clive and as ifrit later in the full release. Its not really any different to God of War.

Fbh

Didn't finish the demo as the hour and a half I played was enough to convince me this will be awesome.
Will be going on vacation soon so I won't be able to play for a month, so I'll probably want to replay the intro anyway and not transfer the save file

I will say I’m in alignment that the Eikon battle in the demo was pure shit. Also, pressing R2 to open doors.

everything else was pure fire though.

The R2 for doors bit feels like Sony REALLY wanted them to put some adaptive trigger feature in the game lol

Question friends,

Sure, but I wouldn't expect a major change compared to the final release.
The content will most likely be the same and from my experience with the demo I encountered no bugs or other major issues.
The biggest problem with the demo is the performance outside of combat (in performance mode) but while that MIGHT be better in the final version there's no guarantee it's actually going to perform better.

Teslerum

Bruh its a spectacle. Just mindless fun. There is enough gameplay in the combat to tide anyone over. Those Eikon fights are just interactive cinematic cutscenes for the fees.

That's been repeated multiple times now and its not really true. Eikon fights get more involved as the game goes on, we've had footage of later Eikon battles too with Clive gaining more control of Ifrit and thus battles getting more complex. He gets access to a similiar battle system as clive as well. We know this already from things like the state of play a few months ag......

Fake Edit: Nevermind, don't look it up. There's a huge ass spoiler in that footage. Open spoiler only if you want to get spoiled.

Suffice it to say this ain't the only Phoenix section you get to play. And his opponent has a bit more... firepower.

Last edited:
Boko would like to have a word with you

M8IxbB7.png
LOL man I dunno Ambrosia is the MVP of the Demo
The way she just picks you up and saves your life, Ambrosia got me looking at my dog like .....
got a better pop off than pup torgal. Does make me wonder, How long do Chocobos live? Clive gets ambrosia back when you get older and shes already full grown in the demo.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Bingo!

Elios83

Amazing demo. Story is really exciting, combat feels great (now I'm mastering the Eikon challenge with multiple Eikons unlocked).
The music OMG. And graphics are super impressive, certain scenes in the previous trailers that I thought were CGI (Shiva vs Titan or Phoenix vs Ifrit) are actually real time and the HDR sparkles are amazing.
I'm playing in quality mode, performance is too blurry for my tastes.
My only complaint is the motion blur while rotating the camera, I always disable it in games, I'd like to be able to do it here as well. Should be easy to implement the option.

I expect great scores for this game.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
btw catching the FF Theme/prelude motif in the opening battle was dope. I’ll second everyone talking up the music.

Oh and another thing: the pro tags are all very likable. None of these emo guys. Clive accepts his duty and clearly loves his brother, is devastated by what happens…great acting…man it had me ready for the full game today and here I am just thinking about how long the wait will be. I’ll be starting a week long vacay when it comes out

Last edited:

lyan

Maybe. ATB just puts pressure into making you take decisions faster, which I like. (And also another reason why I think FF 7 Remake combat system is sublime(as its a call back to that) and why that game combat system should have been XVI's, but that's a discussion for another thread.
Well "ATB" in FF7R isn't really much different from super gauge in any fighting games, or Trials of Mana.

Top Bottom