• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Played the demo (skipped the later fight because I'm saving that for the full playthrough)

Feels like just I was getting into the combat, the demo ended

Music was excellent though I did find it weird that in some scenes the music just cut off instead of fading away

Played in performance mode and oof the start in the castle was rough. Hopefully this is an older build of the game

Other than that, looking forward to playing more next week 🙂

The holy shit scene for me was when
those other dudes got turned to a crisp when the Eikons appeared WTF

Esppiral

It's taking a lot of willpower not to download this demo right now because I want to go in as blind as I can..

Breathe World Series GIF by MLB
I don't get it, this demo is the first 2 h of the game and you can continue right after, why wouldn't you play it? It won't spoil you anything past the intro.

Okay just finished both sections of the demo.

I think the combat's interesting enough but still don't like just have Square button for attack.

Character face looks like generic FF14 character though. I even thought Clive mom is Benedikta lol.

Fps is bad. Especially when Phoenix and Ifrit fight underground.

Last edited:
The town area seems to be hit pretty bad in performance mode, any anything below 48hz won't be covered by VRR either.

Fyb0ppzXsAEvkhi
I FUCKING KNEW IT!

I could tell it was low 40s in the castle section. Surprisingly, I think it was the worst part of the demo even compared to some drops during Eikonic fights.

Nankatsu

I played a bit of the demo on a break. It looked okay, but now I'm wondering if the OLED calibration is off. I went through the HDR settings and it didn't seem to change much. Overall, it looks good but I wasn't liking the jitter and twitchy camera movements. However, going from Performance to Visual was like walking in mud
I'm not playing in an OLED. Led TV with VRR on and game looks stunning on performance mode.

This blend of Final fantasy + Game of Thrones + Attack of Titan works so damn well.

Melfice7

. . .stop it. The aliasing alone sets this apart from what was being delivered on the PS4; at BEST you can say this is FFXIV, punching well above the fidelity you'd think the engine was capable of, but certainly not something they would try on last generation consoles. The character models for the normies for sure vary wildly (Clive, Joshua and Benedict Eggs look terrible - the Lord Commander, Titan dominant and several others look decent), but everything else is clearly doing its best to deliver fidelity that isn't "ps4 game" quality.

There isnt anything in this demo that makes me believe it couldnt be done on ps4, except the loadings

Quantum253

I'm not playing in an OLED. Led TV with VRR on and game looks stunning on performance mode.

This blend of Final fantasy + Game of Thrones + Attack of Titan works so damn well.
I'm using an LG 65" B6 sitting about 14' away. So no VRR or anything like that and I'm sure my eyes are strained out from looking at monitors all day

Aenima

I think the combat's interesting enough but still don't like just have Square button for attack.

Character face looks like generic FF14 character though. I even thought Clive mom is Benedikta lol.

Square is just the sword attack. Trialgue is the magic attack, you can do combos by using a magic attacks after a physical attack if timmed corretly. Circle is an ability attack, R2 + Square another especial attack. And then you have more locked abilities where u can spend ability point, i unlocked another attack that uses the X+ square to do a rush attack.

Unless you equiped the acessory that allows you to do combos just by pressing square, in that case that was on you. The 4 acessories available in the initial hours of the game, are meant to make the combat easy for ppl that are not interested in the combat.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Haven't finished the demo yet but one thing that instantly caught my attention is how much better the dialogue and voice acting is compared to 90% of JRPG's.
It's a bit over dramatic but in a way that fits, sort of like historical fiction. But it doesn't have all the usual quirks of anime dubs you get in most JRPG's, no annoying high pitched voices, ridiculous over acting, awkward pauses, cringe lines or those constant "reaction sounds".

For the first time since Japanese voices became and option in JRPG's I'm actually considering playing one in English.
It helps that this game is English first. The Japanese voice acting is the dub.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The more I play the more I am falling in love with it. There is something about it which screams AAAA. Its just on point. If the final game is anything like this, its a surefire GOTY contender. Its amazing. And I thought FF15 was barely OK and couldnt even play 2 hours of FF7 remake. This game has pleasantly blown me away.

the king=ned stark
scheming queen=cersei
the hero=jon snow
the kid=bran

they even have a pet wolf

So it wasnt just only me who thought that. Nevertheless I love it. The performances are excellent and everybody talks and bwhaves like an adult, not idiot over the top anime teenagers like other FF or Japanese games.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Idk.. if all you are using when attacking is the square button then you are doing something wrong.

bodine1231

According to DF Ray Tracing is turned on in both resolution and performance modes and you cant disable it. Hopefully in the full game you can and thats the reason why performance is bad.

Quantum253

The more I play the more I am falling in love with it. There is something about it which screams AAAA. Its just on point. If the final game is anything like this, its a surefire GOTY contender. Its amazing. And I thought FF15 was barely OK and couldnt even play 2 hours of FF7 remake. This game has pleasantly blown me away.
Was i the combat or the story/combat/etc. about FF7 Remake that you didn't like?
I tried to get into it, but I just couldn't get into the combat ( I didn't mind this more action-based combat though)

E-Cat

It's taking a lot of willpower not to download this demo right now because I want to go in as blind as I can..

Breathe World Series GIF by MLB
So, what you're really trying to say, though saying it poorly, is that you want to start playing the game later rather than now, because whether you start now or at a later date, you'll still be going in equally "blind".

I still have to play the demo, but looking at impressions so far, it seems that there is gay sex and ver Game of Throne-ish vibes on it.

Basically even thematically and tone wise they stripped FF out of it. At this point is better to treat XVI as a new IP.
What? Is there overt homosexuality in this game?

Its the beginning of the game, so just see the demo as early access to the full game. You can transfer the demo save to the full game to keep playing from where the demo ended.

I don't get it, this demo is the first 2 h of the game and you can continue right after, why wouldn't you play it? It won't spoil you anything past the intro.
When you guys put it this way, I will play it tonight!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Was i the combat or the story/combat/etc. about FF7 Remake that you didn't like?
I tried to get into it, but I just couldn't get into the combat ( I didn't mind this more action-based combat though)

FF7 was just corridors upon corridors with unlikeable idiotic characters. Just couldnt take it. The combat was nothing special either.

Mr.Phoenix

According to DF Ray Tracing is turned on in both resolution and performance modes and you cant disable it. Hopefully in the full game you can and thats the reason why performance is bad.
I honestly don't know what to make of it. How do we then explain that in performance the second you get into combat and the second enemies appear on the screen and you lock onto one... the game becomes a locked 60fps. And the second you get out of combat, the fps goes back to having a mind of its own.

I also don't know why everyone talking about performance in performance mode hasn't seemed to notice this.

Dynasty8

Respawn did this with Jedi Survivor... I really wish developers would make it an option to turn on and off. Jedi Survivor struggled significantly in certain areas due to forced ray tracing.

Roxkis_ii

Bro, is it me or did the Eikcon fight with Phoenix versus Ifrit give off some neir Automata vibes!!?? THIS GAME IS SO HYPE!!!

semiconscious

Gold Member

what? she's not?...

danklord

Gold Member
I've been on media blackout since the first trailer, have consumed absolutely nothing -- is it time or do I wait for the main event?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah. . .I have no idea what point you're trying to make. And if you think the character work is great, that's fantastic and you should enjoy the game. I don't and think it's just a step above FFXIV (which also has derpy faces). Like, if you can look at Benedicta and say that is a face with character and detail that is going to work well with the mature story they CLEARLY think they are telling, more power to you.

. . .for those that don't, has nothing to do with being beholden to some previous incarnation of the series.

I don't share your distaste for it, but I wholly admit to XI, XIV, and XVI kind of having a united visual style. It's just a matter of who is on the project. Nomura, Amano, etc. VII, X and XIII are the same way. XII and Ivalice Alliance games are probably my preferred FF art style, but I do love just how Manga inspired VII felt, even more so than it's later installments.

Aenima

I've been on media blackout since the first trailer, have consumed absolutely nothing -- is it time or do I wait for the main event?
The demo is the beginning of the main game, so its like an Early Access to the full game. Can also tranfer the demo save to keep playing where the demo ends. So up to you.
I think you make a more informed purchase if you just try it out 1st.

jorgejjvr

So first part is the actual beginning of game that transfers over right? Idk if I want to touch the second part, sounds like a far off section of the game

Reallink

Hopefully they can add a motion blur toggle to turn it down or off because it’s pretty extreme.
Not only extreme, it's an extremely low quality implementation which is why it's so distraction. Took them like a year to patch the world famous door texture meme in FF7:R, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Top Bottom