• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round 2015 - Fighting Game Tournament - March 20th - 22nd

What is the chance that Ultra on PS4 gets released by end of April or beg of may? I swore capcom said it was supposed to be sometime in the spring

The stream only reached 57k viewers? But Yams assured me it would be 100k minimum!

It should be 100k minimum. League of Legends hit 500k for a regular season game a few weeks ago. Not a tournament, not international play, but just a regular season game between two rivals.

Maybe SF5 can bring another explosion.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Did I hear wrong or was the exhibition going to be to bring attention to the donations they were trying to get?

I'm pretty sure there was never going to be something SFV-related being shown.
Yeah, I never heard about anything that would imply something SFV-related.

We always talk this, but LoL is way more popular and has a bigger player base than sf4.

I dont know why it should or makes sense it would match their stream numbers.

Would be nice. Dont see how though. Unless like Taylor swift tweets out a link to tune in for us.

I do think they should be pimping out sf5 though. People are watching. 50K of them.

It should be 100k minimum. League of Legends hit 500k for a regular season game a few weeks ago. Not a tournament, not international play, but just a regular season game between two rivals.

Not even Dota gets close to 500k, and that's a complete anomaly even for LoL IIRC.

I'll admit to being disappointed by the numbers. I expected 70-80,000.

These events need better marketing.

Doesn't help when the final round website is garbage. I was trying to find out when final round took place and it has no dates or streaming info that I could easily find

petghost

Banned
I dno man they got to 56k right? That's still really impressive to me and something that would have been impossible a couple years ago. Think it's gonna be a slow climb but the community is def growing. Doubt it will ever get humongous or anything but who knows.

Well FR is the beginning. I'm hoping other events can build off FR's momentum and bring in even more viewers. Specifically SCR and CEO, I think they can surpass FR numbers and maybe reach that 70k range. EVO will do great numbers as usual(with possibly Melee on top lol) and I think Capcom Cup 2015 will finally cross 100k.

I dno man they got to 56k right? That's still really impressive to me and something that would have been impossible a couple years ago. Think it's gonna be a slow climb.

It was 59k during Art's match with Momochi I think and 58k during GF. Last year FR barely broke 50k. Not a gigantic leap, but it's improving.

cj_iwakura

I'll probably go to CEO this year, but I think I'm done with EVO. It was a nice once-in-a-lifetime thing. I got to meet Mori and get bodied at BB, so there's that.

What is the chance that Ultra on PS4 gets released by end of April or beg of may? I swore capcom said it was supposed to be sometime in the spring
I still think it will be a Plus title. It's a last gen port funded by Sony of a franchise they just got console exclusive rights to. Try to get people hooked in again(or for the first time) and add passengers to the SF5 hype train

kitzkozan

We always talk this, but LoL is way more popular and has a bigger player base than sf4.

I dont know why it should or makes sense it would match their stream numbers.

Would be nice. Dont see how though. Unless like Taylor swift tweets out a link to tune in for us.

I do think they should be pimping out sf5 though. People are watching. 50K of them.

Yeah, it's not going to happen anytime soon. LoL userbase must be ten time what it is for SFIV. I wouldn't be surprised if the Smash Bros. community is more substantial as well (Smash Bros brawl on the Wii sold 10+ million copies compared to ~5-6 million for all iteration of SFIV combined?).

Given the momentum of the PS4, it's a great opportunity for SFV to grow the community if it's a solid product. Truth be told, I expect to see stream numbers go up across the board if the game deliver.

I still call bullshit on those numbers. I want to see the bot receipts.

Swarna

Ten times is an understatement rofl. SF4 probably doesn't even have 10k concurrent players at a time. Millions is the norm on League of Legends.

And I think their peak viewer count in 2014 was something over like 11 million concurrent across all streaming avenues.

Counter Strike broke 1 million this year.

Twitch is growing to new heights, seriously. It's easy to see some of those new viewers trickling down to fighting games. I certainly see 200k+ for Evo being likely this year.

Kumubou

Yeah, it's not going to happen anytime soon. LoL userbase must be ten time what it is for SFIV. I wouldn't be surprised if the Smash Bros. community is more substantial as well (Smash Bros brawl on the Wii sold 10+ million copies compared to ~5-6 million for all iteration of SFIV combined?).

Given the momentum of the PS4, it's a great opportunity for SFV to grow the community if it's a solid product. Truth be told, I expect to see stream numbers go up across the board if the game deliver.
LoL's active userbase is about 10x Dota 2's -- SF4 is backwater status compared to the biggest games. Fighting games are a rounding error in the greater scheme of competitive videogames, to the point where I wonder why any outside entities even bother with it. (My answer to that is that they see a growth opportunity there, and that's probably a good bet... until you realize that the biggest IP in the space is owned by the nimwits at Capcom.)

I don't see SF5 having anywhere near the impact SF4 did. Not to say that the game can't be a success or that the attempt should not happen, but anyone who thinks the series is going to go from here to MOBA numbers in five years is out of their gourd.

$7K is just the pot bonus. He earned more than that depending on how many entries there are

The count from the spreadsheet had 469 last I looked. That spreadsheet never included me though. I registered late and was never put into a pool so I had to ask the staff to put me into one and they eventually did. So I can say 470 at the very least. If Xian got at least 40% of that $4700 then he left with $8800. Whether that's right or not he got a decent pay check from winning this. Far better than winning the 1600+ man tourney at EVO 2013.

I don't see SF5 having anywhere near the impact SF4 did. Not to say that the game can't be a success or that the attempt should not happen, but anyone who thinks the series is going to go from here to MOBA numbers in five years is out of their gourd.

I just want to see a step up and I think it can do that. Maybe SFV top 8 at majors can pull in 100k on the regular. That was be a pretty nice boost. But I'm not too confident it can do that to be honest.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Random thoughts...

A) If this is how most CPT Premier events are going to go; we're in for an awesome time. This was an EVO level field. Yowza.

B) The addition of actual prize money is definitely motivating everyone to work at new levels in the game; we're seeing really high level play on a match by match basis.

C) I wonder if Justin. ChrisG, FChamp, etc, Marvel 3 / SF4 players will end up concentrating on one game over the other. The competition in SF4 might be too fierce to work both Marvel and SF4 at a "Top 8 at EVO" level this year.

D) I sort of wish they'd change some of the CapCup slots. I'd rather have 16 qualifiers from tournaments, the next 10 in points, and then split up the last 6 slots to EVO winner from previous year, 2nd place at EVO this current year, reigning Cap Cup champion (which they already are), winner of Topanga A League, previous year's Cap Cup champion, and one wild card / Capcom pick.

E) The high level play was insane at FR. Wow.

F) Looking at the event locations; I think a lot of the US players who get in based on points are going to be from the East Coast. NCR, SCR, and NWM are the only three west coast events. Final Round, Summer Jam, Defend the North, CEO, and TFC are East Coast, and Combo Breaker is closer to the east coast than west coast.

Malice215

Marketing isn't the issue, it's the fact that many aren't interested in watching competitive fighting games like they are for other competitive games.

If you want to grow the number of viewers, then you need to start with growing the number of players which SFV could potentially do and provide another bump in player base if it doesn't suck, but it's still nothing compared to games whose active player base are in the millions.

I would not be surprised if CEO made it to 100K.

I'd love to see that happen, but it's not. Plus it's in June where people will be out doing stuff. Where are you expecting another 50,000 people to tune in from?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Marketing isn't the issue, it's the fact that many aren't interested in watching competitive fighting games like they are for other competitive games.

If you want to grow the number of viewers, then you need to start with growing the number of players which SFV could potentially do and provide another bump in player base if it doesn't suck, but it's still nothing compared to games whose active player base are in the millions.

I'd love to see that happen, but it's not. Plus it's in June where people will be out doing stuff. Where are you expecting another 50,000 people to tune in from?

Also note that the NCAA Tournament is in full swing here. I suspect that hurt a lot of viewing period.

Random thoughts...

C) I wonder if Justin. ChrisG, FChamp, etc, Marvel 3 / SF4 players will end up concentrating on one game over the other. The competition in SF4 might be too fierce to work both Marvel and SF4 at a "Top 8 at EVO" level this year.

Justin has already been concentrating on SF since last evo.

As for the stream numbers topic, I thought Final Round did well. The community just needs to do a better job of informing the audience when the next SF tournament is and which players are attending to hype up the interest level. It also helps that the Capcom Fighters channel is getting more followers so people that aren't informed are notified as soon as the tournament starts.

Malice215

Also note that the NCAA Tournament is in full swing here. I suspect that hurt a lot of viewing period.

I don't think so because that's a different audience, and the numbers grew from last year.

Capcom is going to average 40-50K for the events that they stream, but we're not going to see a really huge number until EVO. Plus Final Round is one of the long running events that everyone marks off on their calendar. With the number of events coming up on the calendar with conflicting dates, we're not going to see the same concentration of top level talent until EVO.

But we'll see. Maybe this year gets alot of people hungry for SF.

Yeah it helps to stay informed via twitter and everything. Twitter, Twitch, and FGC threads have been very helpful in finding information on fighting games on an E-Sport level.

Top Bottom