• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round XV: Cross Assault Survivors Reunion | Fighting game tournament | Mar. 2-4

hteng

Banned
why does everyone hate skisonic? (the dreadlock dude right?) his commentary was good, i didn't see him trolling or anything.

http://twitter.com/#!/jiyunaJP

wow, it seems like the Marvel community wants Kusoru's head on a stick.

"The reason US is so strong at MVC is because of this crazy pride. I want to go home ASAP." - Kusoru. #USA #USA
That sucks. I don't blame him for wanting to hide out in his room then.
why does everyone hate skisonic? (the dreadlock dude right?) his commentary was good, i didn't see him trolling or anything.
There is rarely a good reason brought up for dislike of Ski, aside from him speaking over people (which he does have a tendency to do). I think he's perfectly fine, and better than Chen by a country mile.

- Cuts off whoever he co commentates with.

- Hype all the time (I think there are situations to be hype and there are situations that you don't' really need to be yelling. Ex: Sagat vs Guile fireball war). Please don't rape my ears when Sagat is yelling tiger and Guile is yelling sonic boom. Not only can I see it, but I can hear it. I don't need your ass to repeat it at the top of your lungs as well.

- Easily distracted by his twitter trolls (I don't care what xxx tweet you about. I don't care how many followers you have, and I really don't care when you want to start a flame war with one of your troll followers. Do that on your phone and leave the stream alone). I'm sure every commentator have people who dislike them, but that push that shit aside he harbors that shit in then lets everyone know about it while he's commentating.

- Repeat same ass shit over and over. Ex: Hey guys DJ Houshen, Steve H, and Unknown are from the Baltimore / Maryland scene and they play at Xanadu! (Holy shit we know! WE FUCKING KNOW!)

- He likes to compare the stuff that happens on screen to SC2 (I'm totally okay with this), but when the other commentators knows nothing about SC2 (He should stop), but of course he keeps going on and just makes the other dude more confused. Then when the other commentators would make a pop culture reference or some sort of reference that 90% of the American population would know.... Ski doesn't.

The only thing that I enjoyed out of Ski was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAEt7UzsVms

^

Besides that... not a fan.

Beth Cyra

If you want to play online at home that's one thing. If you go to a marvel tournament in this country, you should not expect the same thing.
I don't really mind this mentality.

That said, this is certainly part of thing that would make breaking into this scene even harder that tons of people have been harping on this last week.

Granted alot of people would argue that is a good thing.

GabbyJay

Ben's Lens Ben's Lens Ben's Lens
Man I can't wait for the replays. I missed every top 8 match. Anyone have suggestions for hype matches aside from finals?

If you want to play online at home that's one thing. If you go to a marvel tournament in this country, you should not expect the same thing.

"It's crazy, not a single person wants to congratulate me. Everyone comes to me with intent to kill me in a MM..."

it seems like people are openly hostile in trying to out him as a fraud. but sure playing videogames in America is a hard knock life e-thuggery man up etc etc.

Vice

The American FGC sure is good at making people uncomfortable.

Edit: Also I think if they talked to the right people they could get them to back off.

This happens to all new blood. Every time someone new places high in a tournament everyone wants to test them. American or otherwise.

kirblar

- Hype all the time (I think there are situations to be hype and there are situations that you don't' really need to be yelling. Ex: Sagat vs Guile fireball war). Please don't rape my ears when Sagat is yelling tiger and Guile is yelling sonic boom. Not only can I see it, but I can hear it. I don't need your ass to repeat it at the top of your lungs as well.

- Easily distracted by his twitter trolls (I don't care what xxx tweet you about. I don't care how many followers you have, and I really don't care when you want to start a flame war with one of your troll followers. Do that on your phone and leave the stream alone). I'm sure every commentator have people who dislike them, but that push that shit aside he harbors that shit in then lets everyone know about it while he's commentating.

- Repeat same ass shit over and over. Ex: Hey guys DJ Houshen, Steve H, and Unknown are from the Baltimore / Maryland scene and they play at Xanadu! (Holy shit we know! WE FUCKING KNOW!)

- He likes to compare the stuff that happens on screen to SC2 (I'm totally okay with this), but when the other commentators knows nothing about SC2 (He should stop), but of course he keeps going on and just makes the other dude more confused. Then when the other commentators would make a pop culture reference or some sort of reference that 90% of the American population would know.... Ski doesn't.

^

He commentates as though he's the solo radio announcer for a basketball game. In fact, I wonder if he has a background in doing it, because the "Will he do it? NO, he doesn't!" is so completely overbearing.

Toski

They have no way to properly hit Joe or keep him out. Trust me, I have no fear of Hawkeye on point. Tasky...maybe, but only if they rushdown.

My theory fighter was that the missiles/vajra keep Joe from double/triple jumping using red hot kick and calling log, with arrows controlling horizontal. Perhaps Magneto or Dorm would be a better point than Hawkeye/Task.

Beth Cyra

This happens to all new blood. Every time someone new places high in a tournament everyone wants to test them. American or otherwise.

Still, if we approach it in such a way it's making them feel uncomfortable it isn't a good thing.

Even less so if we are wanting more Japanese to pick up MVC3.

Duxxy3

"It's crazy, not a single person wants to congratulate me. Everyone comes to me with intent to kill me in a MM..."

it seems like people are openly hostile in trying to out him as a fraud. but sure playing videogames in America is a hard knock life e-thuggery man up etc etc.

If wolfkrone was allowed to play in the largest tournament in japan and he blew up EVERYBODY with tech that nobody in that country had ever seen... would they be congratulating him left and right?

My theory fighter was that the missiles/vajra keep Joe from double/triple jumping using red hot kick and calling log, with arrows controlling horizontal. Perhaps Magneto or Dorm would be a better point than Hawkeye/Task.

Vajra would work better, but it's not a permanent solution. Joe can just dodge past Tasky arrows, or slide under Hawkeye's, and cancel either of them into Mach Speed should they try and cancel their arrows into a super.

Doom's Plasma Beam is a much better solution; it lasts too long for Joe to Dodge, and it pushes him back to the far side of the screen after it hits. Magneto wouldn't even need to use Disruptor since he could just pop open Joe with 50/50s and bail the fuck out if things go wrong.

If wolfkrone was allowed to play in the largest tournament in japan and he blew up EVERYBODY with tech that nobody in that country had ever seen... would they be congratulating him left and right?
Probably, yeah. Maybe not "left and right," but their scene is a hell of a lot different than ours is. Plus SF4 is a different beast than Marvel entirely, players and spectators included.

Beth Cyra

A good amount likely would yes.

Back when Wolfkrone went in and knocked out like 5 of JPN's top players he ended up trending in Japan with tons of people saying how amazing he was and people still know of Krone as one of if not the best Viper.

He played Champ's Mag/Doom and beat him, although he was also using Phoenix so he couldn't use any meter I guess.

Still, if we approach it in such a way it's making them feel uncomfortable it isn't a good thing.

He should really let those players with their "pride" broken sit on that loss, let that salt crystallize.

Vice

It's also a way to test the thickness of their skin.

I think the vast majority of the American FGC, at least the big names, couldn't care less about Japanese Marvel scene.

usea

There's a difference between what you should expect and whether or not the current atmosphere is desirable.

You should probably expect to get raped in prison, but if we could wave a wand and make it go away we would.

Individuals who act disrespectful should be called out for it, and at a certain level there should be real penalties.

You see a similar response when somebody says they can't hear the game over crowd noise and would like a headphone jack to the game's audio so they can put on headphones. "Part of the tournament experience is dealing with the crowd. Suck it up." That macho shit is retarded for real.

Exactly and from what I hear Americans used to get boo at SBO pre SF4. Not sure about now, but I'm pretty sure since the explosion of SF4 everything is peachy and semi-friendly now (YO E-SPORTS).

i wonder if fanatiq will take his dump on stream. why not.

edit: haha someone actually asked him that lol

Fanatiq have the best stream monsters.

Look at the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00F8S6y4-k

Beth Cyra

It's also a way to test the thickness of their skin.

I think the vast majority of the American FGC, at least the big names, couldn't care less about Japanese Marvel scene.

I guess.

To me using that as an excuse puts a huge dent in the whole friendship and welcoming community that people feel they need to test the thinkness of someones skin after they proved they are talented.

hteng

Banned

^

i see, though i disagree at the repeating same stuff part, it's pretty common for commentators to repeat basic stuff for people that aren't familiar with the scene.

Duxxy3

And that's why AgeoJoe won.

What's his twitter account, by the way? Does anyone know it?

https://twitter.com/#!/kusoru

A good amount likely would yes.

Back when Wolfkrone went in and knocked out like 5 of JPN's top players he ended up trending in Japan with tons of people saying how amazing he was and people still know of Krone as one of if not the best Viper.

But it was in canada and he didn't win the tournament.

Maybe i'm wrong but i get the impression that american SF4 players are about as welcome to compete in japanese tournaments as japanese marvel players are in competing in american tournaments.

Vice

I guess.

To me using that as an excuse puts a huge dent in the whole friendship and welcoming community that people feel they need to test the thinkness of someones skin after they proved they are talented.

It will welcome almost anyone but if you want to be considered a great player you have to run a gauntlet.

here's another Kusoru pic:
AnMQdHaCIAExA2m.jpg

Maybe i'm wrong but i get the impression that american SF4 players are about as welcome to compete in japanese tournaments as japanese marvel players are in competing in american tournaments.

This is more of an isolated incident since I don't recall anyone giving Tokido shit when he participated in Marvel tourneys, or when Mike Ross was playing in a japanese SF4 tournament a couple months back. People are just salty that not only did they lose to a Japanese player, but he was exposing people without using a common top-tier team. Like he said, it's about the US player's moronic pride.

This is more of an isolated incident since I don't recall anyone giving Tokido shit when he participated in Marvel tourneys, or when Mike Ross was playing in a japanese SF4 tournament a couple months back. People are just salty that not only did they lose to a Japanese player, but he was exposing people without using a common top-tier team. Like he said, it's about the US player's moronic pride.

If you think U.S players or stream monsters are bad I dare you to take a look at 2ch some time. There stream monsters puts us to shame.

Beth Cyra

It will welcome almost anyone but if you want to be considered a great player you have to run a gauntlet.

I consider beating everyone you come across (in tournament) being enough to make you a great player. So the two best today was him and Wolfkrone, money matches and pride be damned.

Duxxy3

This is more of an isolated incident since I don't recall anyone giving Tokido shit when he participated in Marvel tourneys, or when Mike Ross was playing in a japanese SF4 tournament a couple months back. People are just salty that not only did they lose to a Japanese player, but he was exposing people using a common top-tier team. Like he said, it's about the US player's moronic pride.

Tokido probably wasn't given shit because he has to a lot of american tournaments on the street fighter side. That gives a lot of credit with the american players.

Unfortunately Kusoru is entirely new to the states. He's getting the same reaction that other high level players receive when they come out of nowhere. People will poke holes in everything about him. But over time, as he gets more experience here and gets more credit, people will love him.

Hope he attends evo.

I would love to see him at every marvel major. In my opinion, he needs to prove that he can do this more than once. Especially now that the marvel community has actually seen him.

hteng

Banned

people eager to money match him is probably trying to find out how to break that log trap.

Vice

I consider beating everyone you come across (in tournament) being enough to make you a great player. So the two best today was him and Wolfkrone, money matches and pride be damned.

There's consistency to think about too. Repeated play proves that you didn't win because you have a new piece of tech but that won because you know what to do in a variety of situations with the characters you have.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Heaven forbid that the players actually want to challenge the new guy on the block and, you know, play some video games. I'm upset that I didn't have time to arrange a match myself even though Fubar said he'd help set one up.

GAF really does have a knack at snuffing out my contact high the very moment I open the thread after getting home. It's like clockwork at this point.

Beth Cyra

There's consistency to think about too. Repeated play proves that you didn't win because you have a new piece of tech but that won because you know what to do in a variety of situations with the characters you have.

Thats fair and just.

Like I said, I don't think the people wanting to play him and check his tech and skills is the issue.

I just think it's to much when someone is made uncomfortable to the point they are activily trying to avoid it.

Duxxy3

It's not quite the same situation because he was known a little better, but this reminds me of flocker.

He came out of, relatively speaking, nowhere with zero technology and blew up EVERYBODY at season's beatings. A few months later and a few majors later he is seen as a great player, but has no nowhere near the impact he had at seasons beatings. The game changed, players adjusted.

Now that the rest of the world has seen joe and log trap. The game has been changed and now the players will adjust. Can kusoro keep up or is it a one time deal?

Top Bottom