• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally getting Final Fantasy XII tomorrow...

Mick Z

I'm one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans out there. Seriously. I played all the Final Fantasy games several times and am still enjoying every one of them. I want to experience the experience myself, so i haven't been following the news surrounding the newest part in the series.

Tomorrow i finally get the EU version and now i'm looking for some information i need to now before i start playing. Maybe some things to remember while playing it for the first time? Inform me please.

CSSer

If you want to easily get the strongest halbred in the game, there are certain chests you shouldn't open.

KTallguy

Banned
Enjoy the game! :)

Don't worry about chests and other BS unless you're a masochist completionist. If you are, then you might as well play the game over with a faq, because you aren't finding everything without one. :)

KTallguy said:
Enjoy the game! :)

Don't worry about chests and other BS unless you're a masochist completionist. If you are, then you might as well play the game over with a faq, because you aren't finding everything without one. :)

Nothing wrong with getting the sweetest weapon in the game. I'm not a completionist but getting that weapon did add some great game time. I couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want to try it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You can get that spear and still get all those chests and coffers. Avoiding the coffers makes it easier, but isn't required.

Doom_Bringer said:
Get ready for a massive disappointment! :lol

To some, maybe. Others expecting a good FF game with a great battle system and a lot of things to do and a serviceable story shouldn't be disappointed.

brandonh83 said:
DO NOT OPEN ANY TREASURE CHESTS OR POTS OR ANYTHING

edit: BEATEN, BUT STILL

What what? Ok, my friend has this game and so far he's enjoying it (I'll play at his place soon)...

Why shouldn't you Open Chests, cause Chests had importance in previous games... *confused*

shagg_187 said:
What what? Ok, my friend has this game and so far he's enjoying it (I'll play at his place soon)...

Why shouldn't you Open Chests, cause Chests had importance in previous games... *confused*

There are some chests that, if you open them, will deny you access to the best weapon in the game later. It's stupid as hell but that's the way it is. You can find out which chests not to open but honestly I didn't open hardly any of them anyway as most chests just give you a crappy amount of gil, BUT some of them give you Gambits.

Mejilan

To repeat. Opening said chests will NOT deny you the weapon entirely. It'll deny you EASY ACCESS to the weapon, but it remains a rare, late-game loot drop either way.

haircut

Congratulations on your purchase of Final Fantasy XII.

I hope you were not terribly infatuated with X and X-2.

EDIT: as I was : (

Mejilan said:
To repeat. Opening said chests will NOT deny you the weapon entirely. It'll deny you EASY ACCESS to the weapon, but it remains a rare, late-game loot drop either way.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. You're right. But I heard getting the weapon the other way(s) is rather difficult.

A fun game, but unfortunately not THAT worthwhile of a battle revamp and no where near the type of story that's expected of for the series. Of course, some people may be perfectly happy with its plot, and that's fine, but there's isn't really anything moving or really anything shocking, in my opinion. AMAZING presentation, best in the whole effing series, but unfortunate system and story.

Mejilan

brandonh83 said:
Yes, thanks for the clarification. You're right. But I heard getting the weapon the other way(s) is rather difficult.

It's QUITE the rare drop, actually. :D

It's not the best weapon in the game, though it does have the highest attack rating and can be gotten very early in the game (pretty much destroying any challenge the story arc might have otherwise presented).

Masamune >>>>>>>>> *

Pachael

My Arms Your Hearse said:
It's not the best weapon in the game, though it does have the highest attack rating and can be gotten very early in the game (pretty much destroying any challenge the story arc might have otherwise presented).

Masamune >>>>>>>>> *

How 'bout the license (to use said weapon)?

My Arms Your Hearse said:

Masamune >>>>>>>>> *

Masamune is better? How? I have it and... I dunno, I'm not agreeing. What am I missing?

And while I GUESS I can respect everyone's opinion of the new battle system... ugh. I thought it was wonderful and made the game 10x more playable and I never got bored of it. Sure beats the everlasting hell out of random battles.

SleazyC

brandonh83 said:
Masamune is better? How? I have it and... I dunno, I'm not agreeing. What am I missing?
Did you get the Genji Gloves?

Put it on Vaan or Ashe (someone with high magic + high str) and watch them go to work. Throw in Berserk on top of that and you'll see 4-6 hit combos hitting at 5k+ a piece very frequently.

CSSer

Equip genji gloves with Masamune to get high combo rates. I think it's a 72% combo rate...

I hope they don't scrap the battle system. It was a nice change to the series.

Odysseus

Banned
i know the battle system and encounters have changed, but can you still do crazy level grinding if you so desire? when i replayed ffx earlier this... er last year, i grinded like crazy before the final set of encounters and ended up winning the fight against you know who in like 2 rounds (with bahamut).

KTallguy

Banned
Story is not the best.

World, Atmosphere, Music, Battles, Characters, Graphics are all top notch.

You take what you can get.

Yeah, I got the gloves. I may have to try that. I just know Vaan is knocking off 9,000+ a hit right now with the Zodiac spear. Mother****er is badass.

but can you still do crazy level grinding if you so desire?

*looks at 160+ hour game clock*

Yes. :lol And like in other FF's, they throw in optional shit that requires a sad amount of grinding.

CSSer

There's also an 'auto leveling' technique, but it'll take a while to reach level 99. I took me about 6 hrs to go from level 50 to level 60 with the 2X EXP accessory. However, there are much faster ways to level grind. You can go from level 45 to 90 in a few hours, I think.

SleazyC

CSSer said:
There's also an 'auto leveling' technique, but it'll take a while to reach level 99. I took me about 6 hrs to go from level 50 to level 60 with the 2X EXP accessory.
Try getting 10 espers and going to the secret area in there Henne Mines and you get a nice spot where you can level up pretty fast. I think I went from 90 to 99 in under 5 hours there.

SleazyC said:
Try getting 10 espers and going to the secret area in there Henne Mines and you get a nice spot where you can level up pretty fast. I think I went from 90 to 99 in under 5 hours there.

Seriously where? Good enemy respawning rate? I hate to have to leave areas and get all the way back to them just to get more enemies like I had to do in the
Nabreus Deadlands
(the skeleton spawning in one spot is miraculous) :lol

CSSer

brandonh83 said:
Seriously where? Good enemy respawning rate? I hate to have to leave areas and get all the way back to them just to get more enemies like I had to do in the
Nabreus Deadlands
(the skeleton spawning in one spot is miraculous) :lol

He's referring to the place where the bats drop after pressing the switch.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7323/henneminespowerlevelbatbq9.jpg

You can beat them easily using sleepga and curaga on them, for about 3 million exp in an hour?

SleazyC

brandonh83 said:
Seriously where?
Here's a map.

Basically you just go to that spot, and theres a switch that you can hit that will cause tons of bats to drop down. They are undead and they can be slept. So you just setup a gambit to cast sleepga and then another to cast curaga. Have warmage purchased for your characters and you should hit the bats for 9,999 a pop and gain all your mp. When you mop up you can hit the switch and run a very short two screens away and then come back and repeat. Someone worked it out to be like 3 million exp per hour. All credit goes to the Arthellinus who wrote up a power walkthrough that detailed how to do this.

Well getting the spear the other way could take many, many hours since it's only ultimately a 1/1000 chance of appearing and you have to walk from a save point to where the chest appears each time you try. Not getting that weapon isn't even a big deal at all, though, unless you're very anal. :D

I would recommend doing the hunts that show up as soon as possible if you want to enjoy the most fun (read: difficult) battles in the game. Either that or ignore the hunts completely until the endgame to make the normal game a bit tougher. ONE OR THE OTHER

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
brandonh83 said:
DO NOT OPEN ANY TREASURE CHESTS OR POTS OR ANYTHING

edit: BEATEN, BUT STILL
Seriously, there are only FOUR places with chests in the entire game linked to the spear, and 3 of them are very early (and the last is much much later in the game). So really, you don't have to avoid chests in general at all. And considering you can get some really great stuff from chests before they become available in stores, you should probably open them. Though I suggest you go look up the specific ones you shouldn't open.

Anyway, I love XII's battle system to death. Fighting is sooooo much faster, sooooo much more enjoyable, sooooo much less tedious and obnoxious. And level grinding is actually quite fun with this battle system, especially when you find some good spots.

Tis my favorite PS2 game now. Have fun!

Don't worry about the license board too much either. Sometimes you have a lot of licenses in the way of the ones you really want. Just fill it up for the Pirates Den achievment!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Monk said:
Tis my favorite PS2 game now. Have fun!

Don't worry about the license board too much either. Sometimes you have a lot of licenses in the way of the ones you really want. Just fill it up for the Pirates Den achievment!
I wouldn't ignore the license board entirely early on, but focus primarily on the Augments section before anything else. You only really need to get things in the other sections when they become available.

Try to get to Quickenings as early as possible, though. More than one Quickening multiplies the amount of MP your character has (i.e. 3 Quickenings = triple MP).

Extremely solid battle system, passable story... But seriously awful dungeon design and reward system.

So, yeah, great game (as are most main series FFs), but it's got it's flaws.

Mejilan said:

this is wrong. yes, there is a possibility that weapon might show up elsewhere but the odds of it doing so are so small as to be negligible.

the weapon isn't a 'late game loot drop" its sitting in a chest in the necrohol, and can be gotten a little sooner than halfway through the game as long as you're willing to sprint through a lot of powerful mobs to do it.

Been playing the Euro review copy for the last two days, and it's a great game. It's my first real FF (only Tactics), and so far, I really enjoy the combat system, it's a nice break from the tradional turnbased gameplay. You're going to enjoy it a lot.

Rorschach

Doom_Bringer said:
Get ready for a massive disappointment! :lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol ur funnneee!!!!

Top Bottom