• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally getting Final Fantasy XII tomorrow...

Avalon

BuckRobotron said:
Hell, the game throws many, many more strategic options than many players will ever bother to learn.

Exactly. The thing is though, there is absolutely no point in learning them. Why take the time to create specific character builds, Esper strategies and other advance tactics when the game simply does not require that kind of attention?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Avalon said:
Exactly. The thing is though, there is absolutely no point in learning them. Why take the time to create specific character builds, Esper strategies and other advance tactics when the game simply does not require that kind of attention?

To cater to the 5% who will.

terrene

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
So, not liking FFXII is "anti-innovation"?
Insisting that a series be forever completely menu-based is. FF has a wider audience than spooky Ultima/Dragon Quest fans who have to make a tactical decision out of casting "Cure."

Simply: FF12 was exploration-centered and designed to protect players against mundane constantly-interrupted-by-random-battles-controlled-by-menu-surfing traditional gameplay. It fails at none of its objectives in this regard. Stamping your foot and wishing for the good old days because of a direction shift - not objectively a bad thing - can easily be construed as anti-innovation.

AlphaSnake said:

QFT. I assumed the "increase barehanded damage" spot on the license board was there because the game was eventually going to screw me, take all my stuff, and force me to fight with no weapons but apparently it's only there for complete hardasses who like things difficult.
(like it was in vagrant story.)

FFXII definitely gives you your money's worth in terms of optional stuff to do, that's for sure.

Fady K

Error2k4 said:
it's been awhile since I posted in a FF12 thread!

This aint my business, and I mean no offense whatsoever, but why bother posting in a thread for a game you dont like much when youve posted in the game's threads a good number of times?

Im at 160 hours now and this game is just is excellent for me.

haircut

BuckRobotron said:
Beyond that, you always have intense and thoughtful experimentation options outside of gambits. The game is a huge strategic playground in varied style of weaponry (such as maces relying on entirely different stats/system for damage than hammers), Espers, techniques, etc.

Hell, the game throws many, many more strategic options than many players will ever bother to learn.
I wouldn't call them "intense and thoughtful."

Summons are nothing new and the technicks are hardly ever useful. There ARE a lot of weapon types, but the differences among them aren't immediately evident and the game can't be bothered to provide notes describing anything but the first 5 or so. It would simply be too time consuming and cost way too much gil for a player to try all the weapons out and figure out the differences on their own, so??? Stick with what you know, read a FAQ, or waste a lot of time trying to understand the advantages to hand-bombs and the like?

Avalon

AlphaSnake said:

I just couldn't have fun with it after awhile. It's nice that they gave people the option, but the best part about building strategies is knowing that you need them to survive. I use to always have my lead character on manual just to trick myself into thinking the game required more then simply having Gambits set to attack, heal, exploit elemental weakness. The moment I realized that my input beyond that wasn't needed, I stopped playing.

Avalon said:

Indeed. As with any FF, there are optional ways of doing things, and most efficient ways of doing things. Gambits aid in the most efficient way of doing things, and Espers and the like are optional non-gambit specialties for those who want to play around with additional strategies.

Set a gambit (FFXII) or repeatedly go through a menu (other FF or optional in FFXII) for Thundara to kill the lightning-weak enemies...or call Ramuh or Adrammalech to do the job with greater flash.

Edit: I trust most will understand the general example of efficiency versus optional strategies and that the Esper situation isn't intended as a universal specific example (FFVIII and FFX GF/summons for instance are front and center choices, the opposite of FFXII). But just in case...all FFs have optional Jobs and/or Espers and/or Weapons and/or items that vary the game up but there are best prescribed routes that could very easily be "gambited" (and essentially are by repetition).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
terrene said:
Insisting that a series be forever completely menu-based is. FF has a wider audience than spooky Ultima/Dragon Quest fans who have to make a tactical decision out of casting "Cure."
Nice dig. :p
And sure, why not? Why not have the FF games progress in this line and have other RPG series which do different things? Or hell since Square is so fond of throwing the FF name everywhere, do both under the series's moniker.
I'm not saying "don't make RPGs like FFXII" I'm saying "where is the game I wanted to see?"
If you pay any attention to threads on GAF you see hoards of people crying out "ELIMINATE THIS FROM GAMING". I'm asking for both.
You're asking for the wider audience to be satisfied, but why must the original be ignored?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1. I dont like the flow being broken by random encounters and switching to a different plain of combat. For me it detracts from the immersiveness of the world and breaks the flow of combat.
this is subjective, I dont play a game for immersion I play a game to have fun. if game needs to sacrifice fun in order to be immersive that's a crappy game in my eyes.

2. I prefer to have more control of my combatents. It makes me feel more involved in the game and might even involve some strategic skill based on reaction etc. FFxiii doesnt offer this, but I hope to see faster paced real time combat in the future.
I dont mind AI control, unless it's totally mind numbing dumb.

3. The slow nature of most turn based combat and general greater length battles take because of transition just become tedious after a time. Take DQviii for example. Grinding just killed my brain after a while. Still enjoyed the game.
you grinded because you werent good at the game, DQ8 most certainly doesnt require grinding and turn based battle system does not mean grinding is a must. play SMT3/DDS and come back to me to say you need to grind there.

Anyway, it seems youre pretty anti-innovation anyway, so I suppose a conversation is rather pointless
no, Im anti-shallow game.

Avalon said:
I just couldn't have fun with it after awhile. It's nice that they gave people the option, but the best part about building strategies is knowing that you need them to survive. I use to always have my lead character on manual just to trick myself into thinking the game required more then simply having Gambits set to attack, heal, exploit elemental weakness. The moment I realized that my input beyond that wasn't needed, I stopped playing.

you stopped playing too soon. What did you do when you ran into something like Chaos, who nullified all physical attacks?

apparently telekinesis doesn't count as a physical attack and I owned Chaos in short order

there's more than a few bosses like this, also. It's a myth that FFXII allows you to set a gambit and just cruise through.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Manmademan said:
there's more than a few bosses like this, also. It's a myth that FFXII allows you to set a gambit and just cruise through.
Then how did I do it?

Avalon

Manmademan said:
you stopped playing too soon. What did you do when you ran into something like Chaos, who nullified all physical attacks?

apparently telekinesis doesn't count as a physical attack and I owned Chaos in short order

So, a handful of bosses are suppose to justify building strategies that are not necessary for 99% of the game?

In that particular situation, just turn of the attack Gambit and have everyone bomb it with elemental magic. Boss matches were endurance based, all you need is enough status recovering items.

RevenantKioku said:
Then how did I do it?

One I got all the Gambit slots unlocked, everyones set was pretty much the same. I never ran into a situation that required special attention.

Avalon said:
So, a handful of bosses are suppose to justify building strategies that are not necessary for 99% of the game?

In that particular situation, just turn of the attack Gambit and have everyone bomb it with elemental magic. Boss matches were endurance based, all you need is enough status recovering items.

One I got all the Gambit slots unlocked, everyones set was pretty much the same. I never ran into a situation that required special attention.

Did you play through chaos? that particular boss not only turned off all attacks, but had 4 elementals, all with varying weaknesses casting silencega on the party nonstop.

your strategy would have gotten you slaughtered in short order.

and how many bosses count as a "handful?" there are a LOT of hunts and rare monsters that require special attention- rares in particular as they tend to show up completely at random. The first time I ran into the Avenger for instance, it killed me as it was completely indistingushable from it's non rare brethren, but substantially more powerful.

Jigsaw

Banned
dunno where to post it otherwise

pics from the german collectors edition guide

1_b_vsl1169025754P46.jpg
1_b_vsl1169025754juq.jpg
1_b_vsl1169025754O3E.jpg

release 23/02/07 price 24,99 €

looks hot :D

Avalon

Manmademan said:
Did you play through chaos? that particular boss not only turned off all attacks, but had 4 elementals, all with varying weaknesses casting silencega on the party nonstop.

your strategy would have gotten you slaughtered in short order.

and how many bosses count as a "handful?" there are a LOT of hunts and rare monsters that require special attention- rares in particular as they tend to show up completely at random.

I got to Archades before I returned the game, so I missed the last quarter or so.

Also, Silence is not a problem when you have you bots automatically healing it. I don't remember exactly how my Gambits were set up, but it when something like...

Heal anyone under %50 HP.
A few slots dedicated to status ailment removal.
A few slots dedicated to attack enemies with elemental weakness.
Attack flying enemies. I kept this one off until I encountered said foes.
Attack nearest foe.

Also, characters with higher HP had Decoy as a priority and those with higher MP had Protect/Shell/Haste as a priority.

Avalon said:
I got to Archades before I returned the game, so I missed the last quarter or so.

Also, Silence is not a problem when you have you bots automatically healing it. I don't remember exactly how my Gambits were set up, but it when something like...

Heal anyone under %50 HP.
A few slots dedicated to status ailment removal.
A few slots dedicated to attack enemies with elemental weakness.
Attack flying enemies. I kept this one off until I encountered said foes.
Attack nearest foe.

Also, characters with higher HP had Decoy as a priority and those with higher MP had Protect/Shell/Haste as a priority.

Archades is still fairly early on in the game. there's a lot of random rares and powerful bosses that don't show up until much later. Disablega in particular can screw up a party in short order if you're not watching out for it- there's a horse thing in the necrohol that LOVES that sh*t and oddly enough will follow you from area to area if you try to leave an area to escape it. That thing sucked.

Also: that
totally bogus hunt
where you thought you were going after
some bird
but instead ended up fighting
Ba'gamnan and his crew?
There's definitely enough surprises and random tough battles to keep the average gamer from cruising through it on autopilot.

Jigsaw said:
dunno where to post it otherwise

pics from the german collectors edition guide

1_b_vsl1169025754P46.jpg
1_b_vsl1169025754juq.jpg
1_b_vsl1169025754O3E.jpg

release 23/02/07 price 24,99 €

looks hot :D

That looks excellent, does it integrate the art book into it or just look thicker? I've considered getting the premium guide here in NA, but would prefer to get the art book separate from the guide (moot to me now) rather than as a $30 combo. Plus, I might get stuck with Vaan as the cover if I ordered it...

Error2k4 said:
this is subjective, I dont play a game for immersion I play a game to have fun. if game needs to sacrifice fun in order to be immersive that's a crappy game in my eyes.

I dont mind AI control, unless it's totally mind numbing dumb.

you grinded because you werent good at the game, DQ8 most certainly doesnt require grinding and turn based battle system does not mean grinding is a must. play SMT3/DDS and come back to me to say you need to grind there.

no, Im anti-shallow game.

may I add. Anti-opinion....by the construction of your reply it seems your brain works in turn base too

Anyway, DQ 8 was far from hard, but I didnt bother with any of the combining system, as I wasnt really interested...and the combat certainly became tedious by the time I reached the climax of the game.

Pretty worthless arguing with you though....seems like your regurgitating the old...tradition versus innovation/ old versus new / foundation versus evolution.

peace

Jigsaw

Banned
BuckRobotron said:
That looks excellent, does it integrate the art book into it or just look thicker? I've considered getting the premium guide here in NA, but would prefer to get the art book separate from the guide (moot to me now) rather than as a $30 combo. Plus, I might get stuck with Vaan as the cover if I ordered it...

it just looks thicker,the content is the same(340 pages)

however,i have no idea whether the collectors edition guide will be avaiable in other countries across europe

got the pics from this german online shop

http://www.4u2play.de/store/detail/?p=18149

haircut

Manmademan said:
Archades is still fairly early on in the game. there's a lot of random rares and powerful bosses that don't show up until much later. Disablega in particular can screw up a party in short order if you're not watching out for it- there's a horse thing in the necrohol that LOVES that sh*t and oddly enough will follow you from area to area if you try to leave an area to escape it. That thing sucked.

Also: that
totally bogus hunt
where you thought you were going after
some bird
but instead ended up fighting
Ba'gamnan and his crew?
There's definitely enough surprises and random tough battles to keep the average gamer from cruising through it on autopilot.
Pointing out specific instances that require a bit of user input/changing or turning off gambits is fighting a losing battle I fear.

You make your point but that really doesn't say anything for the vast majority of the game.

Not to mention that a lot of these cases can be handled by a quick modification to gambits, then back to watching the fight.

Rufus

Pointing out specific instances that require a bit of user input/changing or turning off gambits is fighting a losing battle I fear.

You make your point but that really doesn't say anything for the vast majority of the game.
Yeah, but is something more complicated, like Vagrant Story or any SRPG out there really going to improve it? I see people getting tired of that too, I was in fact getting tired of changing weapons so much in Vagrant Story, that I quite often just ended up using longer chain attacks or I started avoiding certain enemies completely, because I knew I couldn't do much damage with my current equipment and didn't bother to change it yet again. It's really hard to find a good balance between everything, in-battle tactics, equipment and stat tweaking and so on. Out of every JRPG I played I found the Grandia series to have on of the most entertaining battle systems. Even Shadow Hearts, which was, at it's core, just another turn based RPG, managed to keep the fights interesting just because of the Ring of Fate or whatever it was called, a rather small change/addition. Something kept you on your toes in those games, even in normal battles.

I had a discussion with someone about FFX and especially if its battle system really had more tactical depth to it than other FFs, or just in general. My point was that it did have a certain deepness, but that there was no real need to take much advantage of it besides the bar that showed you who was going to attack next. (Which I found really cool, btw.) Of course there's the usual stuff too, like elementals that were particularly weak against spells of the opposite element, flying enemies that dodge a lot, heavy hitters with a high defense and all. My point in detail was, that, at least I myself, didn't care for this after a certain point and that it became tedious and boring to use the same tactics every time up to a point were I didn't really think about it at all and sometimes didn't even care and just hit the enemies a bit more with some regular attacks, because I was tired of changing party members to use a spell, or have Tidus kill one of those small lizards and so on. He brought the boss fights up, like some of you do now regarding FFXII, saying that they required you to think more about your approach of fighting them and so on. He also took the hardest (hidden) boss in the game as the best example for that, but that's not the point actually. (He also said that it required more tactics to kill everything with an overdrive, but as there's no real point in that because I don't see a real reason to make that your goal besides being really obsessed with the game... )
Anyway, to get to the gist of it all. Now, prior to having played FFXII myself I was quite optimistic about the Gambit System because it enables the player to automate tedious and repetitive tasks that sometimes take the fun out of turn based battle systems and can make them quite dull in the long run. Yadda Yadda.
Now, after reading all of your posts, it turns out there's a high potential to fall back into the same old pattern of just going with the most basic attacks. Quite ironic.

I'm still looking forward to the game, as I'm a fan of the series, but you got me really curious about how it will turn out for me in the long run.

terrene

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Nice dig. :p
And sure, why not? Why not have the FF games progress in this line and have other RPG series which do different things? Or hell since Square is so fond of throwing the FF name everywhere, do both under the series's moniker.
I'm not saying "don't make RPGs like FFXII" I'm saying "where is the game I wanted to see?"
If you pay any attention to threads on GAF you see hoards of people crying out "ELIMINATE THIS FROM GAMING". I'm asking for both.
You're asking for the wider audience to be satisfied, but why must the original be ignored?
Frankly, I don't know what point you're even making now. If they can make "traditional" and "non-traditional" RPGs both under the FF moniker, and you have no problem with them making games "like FFXII," why would you also be asking that "other RPG series do different things" and good-old FF stays the same? FF is a huge, important series and Square's flagship - if you can't really guess the answer to why they'd satisfy the "wider" audience over the so-called "original" (though, I have been playing them since FF1, so I prefer to think of them as "twitchy") -- I don't know what to tell you. The random-battle/menu combat thing is pretty outmoded, and they don't want their most important series to become boring to modern gamers. This might also be why there aren't any new Space Invaders games, although if there were, it would probably play like a free-roaming Starfox game or something. It's been 21 years since FF1, dude. Sorry.

zankara

Does anyone know if there are any changes in the European release? It would be cool if there was extra content like in FFX.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm about 86 hours into the game, and just got to the Stilshrine of Miriam. My main party is level 56+, and all 6 of my dudes have their License Board filled.

Since the story and character development is going NOWHERE... I'm afraid with the LB done, my fun with the game is coming to an abrupt end. :(

RevenantKioku

terrene said:
Frankly, I don't know what point you're even making now. If they can make "traditional" and "non-traditional" RPGs both under the FF moniker, and you have no problem with them making games "like FFXII," why would you also be asking that "other RPG series do different things" and good-old FF stays the same? FF is a huge, important series and Square's flagship - if you can't really guess the answer to why they'd satisfy the "wider" audience over the so-called "original" (though, I have been playing them since FF1, so I prefer to think of them as "twitchy") -- I don't know what to tell you. The random-battle/menu combat thing is pretty outmoded, and they don't want their most important series to become boring to modern gamers. This might also be why there aren't any new Space Invaders games, although if there were, it would probably play like a free-roaming Starfox game or something. It's been 21 years since FF1, dude. Sorry.
Remakes still sell! Their must be demand!
Plus, FFX was good. X-2 was great. WTF is XI and XII though? ;_;

Rufus

RevenantKioku said:
Remakes still sell! Their must be demand!
Plus, FFX was good. X-2 was great. WTF is XI and XII though? ;_;
Did you even try to understand what he was trying to say, or did you just ignore it? :lol
No offense, really, just wondering.

Yeah, remakes do sell, but how well, really? And who buys them? Right, die-hard fans. With the PSP remakes of FF1 and FF2 in development there'll be people buying this game for what? The third time? Fourth time? Come on now.

terrene

Banned
Mejilan said:
I'm about 86 hours into the game, and just got to the Stilshrine of Miriam. My main party is level 56+, and all 6 of my dudes have their License Board filled.

Since the story and character development is going NOWHERE... I'm afraid with the LB done, my fun with the game is coming to an abrupt end. :(
Holy shit, you are one grindin' fiend. I'm at roughly the same hour count + party level, but I hit the Stilshrine of Miriam around the early 40s, hourwise, and I hunted every goddamn mark they posted on the boards. I think you make have broken your chances for having fun at this point. You are going to cut through everything the game throws at you like butter.

Mejilan

terrene said:
Holy shit, you are one grindin' fiend. I'm at roughly the same hour count + party level, but I hit the Stilshrine of Miriam around the early 40s, hourwise, and I hunted every goddamn mark they posted on the boards. I think you make have broken your chances for having fun at this point. You are going to cut through everything the game throws at you like butter.

Not like I'm going out of my way to grind. I just won't leave an area until I've totally filled in my bestiary for its zones. The only real grinding I did was back in the beginning of the game. Skeleton Bridge at the Lhusu mines.

I am more or less OHK'ing everything in the Stilshrine. I barely got a chance to steal from the boss before it went down. :/

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
nelsonroyale said:
may I add. Anti-opinion....by the construction of your reply it seems your brain works in turn base too
yes, insulting works very well when you are arguing in a forum.

Anyway, DQ 8 was far from hard, but I didnt bother with any of the combining system, as I wasnt really interested...and the combat certainly became tedious by the time I reached the climax of the game.
if it wasnt hard why did you need to grind then?

Pretty worthless arguing with you though....seems like your regurgitating the old...tradition versus innovation/ old versus new / foundation versus evolution.
what innovation? do you even know what word means?

Im trying to come up with something innovative from FF12 and I cant.

RevenantKioku

nelsonroyale said:

peace
This dude is amazing.

Rufus said:
Did you even try to understand what he was trying to say, or did you just ignore it? :lol
No offense, really, just wondering.
I drifted in and out.
I dunno, I just have trouble keeping coherent with the speed these forums go at.
Basically, I want more choices, but I feel these days I'm getting less. And FFXII sucks.
Yeah, remakes do sell, but how well, really? And who buys them? Right, die-hard fans. With the PSP remakes of FF1 and FF2 in development there'll be people buying this game for what? The third time? Fourth time? Come on now.
7th for me? Does it really matter? I'm special, obviously. XD

rpgfan16k

terrene said:

Simply: FF12 was exploration-centered and designed to protect players against mundane constantly-interrupted-by-random-battles-controlled-by-menu-surfing traditional gameplay. It fails at none of its objectives in this regard. Stamping your foot and wishing for the good old days because of a direction shift - not objectively a bad thing - can easily be construed as anti-innovation.

One can certainly legitimately criticize the FFXII battle system w/o insisting that a series always be "menu-based" (n/m that videogames will probably always involve this in some way). For example, Tales games and other action RPGS require no "menus" to engage in combat (w/ the exeption of using items), and they certainly have appeal for players like RevenantKioku and others like him.

The problem that I have w/ FFXII's battle system (and I suspect its the same problem most of the critics share) is not the lack of menus, it's simply the utter lack of any sort of decision-making process that rewards strategic thinking and compels the player to think creatively. This is, for me and countless other players, what a "good" battle system is. The gambit system really doesn't do this IMO, and even if you elect not to use it, the "ATTACK" command is just overly powerful most of the time. Occasionally the need to use an Esuna or BLizzaga/Thundara/Firaga may arise, but they are few and far between, and certainly don't suddenly legitimize what is otherwise a very underwhelming combat system.

BTW, since when did it become ok to say that someone is "anti-opinion" just because their opinion isn't identical to yours? :lol

Rufus

RevenantKioku said:
Basically, I want more choices, but I feel these days I'm getting less. And FFXII sucks.
From what I picked up FFXII gives you plenty of choices, it doesn't force you one certain path though, thus you may end up taking the easier route because there's no reason to put more time into the more complex ways of doing things.
I end up doing that all the time in almost every RPG though, so... There are RPGs that do force you to beat enemies with tactics, but most times they end up forcing you doing the same stuff over and over. I spent almost 300 hours or so with DQVIII and I don't see where this kind of system offers more choices. Once you learned to deal with most types of enemies you end up doing the exact same things over and over and whereas that can sill be fun in an action game, inputting some commands to do this can get quite boring. At least for me it does.
When I started grinding in DQVIII I picked up a magazine or switched the channel and watched TV once I ordered my party to attack... The one thing that makes turn based fighting system and especially grinding tedious for me is the slow pace of most fights. Inputting the same commands over and over wasn't the real problem. It was watching the same bloated animations over and over and over. I hated most FFs during grinding, because they just had to make everything feel kind of epic, with the camera circling around the enemy first; making the characters do a step towards the enemy before they attack, then after the attack they step back again; lengthy spell animations and all that. It really puts you off when you fight a freaking mutated rat or something for the fifth time in a row and everything is bloated to these proportions when you kill those things with just one attack. It gets worse if you put random battles on top of that. You can't just explore a bit without being interrupted all the time, even if you run away to get out of a fight quickly you'll still be annoyed by it. That's also why I'm looking forward to Rogue Galaxy and am not at all worried about DQIX having a more action oriented battle system.
And that's also why I love systems where you see the enemy or can even attack and kill them before you engage in a real fight, like in Breath of Fire V. There's a bunch of bats? Blow them up with a bomb or just slash your way through them and be done with it. Quick and easy. And if you're at a certain level this works with bigger enemies too.

RevenantKioku said:
7th for me? Does it really matter? I'm special, obviously. XD
Yeah, special alright. F*cking hell. XD

MadFuzzy

BuckRobotron said:

The EU guide is produced by a totally different company to the US one. The US ones are done by Bradygames, the EU ones by Piggyback. On the whole the Piggyback guides that I've seen are much better designed than the US equivilant. It's possible that the EU one might not have a seperate artbook.

Nameless

Mejilan said:

Holy **** dude, and I thought I grinded too much. 87 hours was my FINAL playtime and I was did most of the hunts, and was overleveled for pretty much all of the main game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Mejilan said:

wtf :lol

86 ****ing hours!? I got there in like 35 hours, and I did do a number of hunts on the way. Wow, that's like grinding for 50 (!) hours. Or whatever you want to call it. :p

I think the game might be a tad too easy for you now. :lol
I mean, you could've just played until the end, THEN do all the extra stuff, fight all the enemies etc. That way the bosses would pose some kind of challenge at least. But maybe you don't like challenge. :p

RevenantKioku

Rufus said:
From what I picked up FFXII gives you plenty of choices, it doesn't force you one certain path though, thus you may end up taking the easier route because there's no reason to put more time into the more complex ways of doing things.
Oh no, I meant more choices in available game titles and the way the games play. FFXII's availability of "choices" doesn't really turn shit into gold.

Rufus

RevenantKioku said:
Oh no, I meant more choices in available game titles and the way the games play. FFXII's availability of "choices" doesn't really turn shit into gold.
Oh, ****. Ok.
Ah, well, whatever floats your boat.

Gattsu25

Banned
Error2k4 said:
Are you telling me that navigating menus, waiting on battle transition loading, waiting for all the enemies to spawn in single file, waiting for your turn, and then hitting the X button ad nauseam with a few up and down arrow pressed interspersed is fun?

I honestly figured most people played RPGs for their stories (where immersion would greatly help, methinks) since gameplay wise most RPGs are near painful and exceedingly repetitive. Hell, if you want, you could even play FFXII in all the genre's menu riddled glory, if you so choose

Mejilan

I guess that my biggest problem with FFXII's combat system is that I've pretty much never needed to change my core gambit strategy. Ever. At all. Not even once.

To be fair, no Final Fantasy would with that much overleveling.

Try the Stilshrine of Miriam at Level 20 instead of 50 and it'll be a much different experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm not faulting you for overleveling; the Hunt system certainly encourages it and that's a flaw with other factors considered. But the story challenge definitely wasn't balanced anywhere close to your levels nonetheless.

Mejilan

If I weren't so anal about the hunts and rare marks and maxing out bestiary entries... 17/17 hunts so far!!

Maybe I'm supposed to be playing this as an MMO, where there is a given expectation that you will NOT be able to experience everything in one pass... or two... or whatever.

But I can't, because in FFXII, you clearly can if you're patient enough.

Just defeated Judge Bergan (awesome monologue/rant), so I imagine some more hunts have opened up now. To battle!

Speaking of battle, it's pretty much gotten to the point where I needn't even supervise 'em anymore. I usually play SotN or Lunar on my PSP while playing FFXII! :D

Soulhouf

Mejilan said:
I guess that my biggest problem with FFXII's combat system is that I've pretty much never needed to change my core gambit strategy. Ever. At all. Not even once.
You'll need to change it against some enemies (Chaos(you can't use attack in this battle), Zodiac, Yazmat, Omega,...)

Top Bottom