• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally official: Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog comic has come to an end.

Nope. They had THREE different arcs going (#290 of the main series, Part 3/4 of the Sonic Universe series, and Sonic Mega Drive was on Part 2/3) and none of them finished. Here's hoping whoever picks them up doesn't reset the numbers.
Actually, the SU arc with the Chaotix did finish beforehand.

Daingurse

Any excuse to post KenPenders stuff

Lien-Da-Penders-CGI-TSSZ-Copy.jpg

Dude couldn't draw back in the day. But man, it looks like his art just got even worse lol.

Laws00

Man that's crazy. I still have all my issues from all the way to 15-90 or something. All the early specials and spin off till till the late 90s

Still have all the blue letter fan questions that they answered to the readers for those that did subscribe to the comic back then

GOOD RIDDANCE!!

Lingering fallout from the Penders suit? Wasn't Sega dragged into that largely because of Archie's failure to maintain the paperwork that would have established definitively whether or not Penders had any claim to ownership of the characters he created?

Village

When Sega's actually strengthening ties with artists like Hesse, I'd be surprised if they're actually eager to cut them out of the picture.

Slightly different situations of course, but there's nothing that indicates that they had any issue with the creative team, just Archie (and given the way they're being treated of late, I'm sure they'd be happy to do some contract work for IDW or whomever).

I don't think they would say get rid of the creative team, but I really wouldn't put it past sega to want more... Megadrive type stuff , just for other sonic stuff. Just game focused, no other characters or barley any if any of that at all. Its not about loosing the art team, its about loosing all the archie baggage and doing something that might reflect closer to what they think the games are.

And that's what I see happening, Its not uncommon especially in comics, just brand reboots.

When Sega's actually strengthening ties with artists like Hesse, I'd be surprised if they're actually eager to cut them out of the picture.

From what I understand it was Sega of America's PR team who got in touch with Hesse. Not sure how intertwined that is with licensing or game production.

Sandfox

Lingering fallout from the Penders suit? Wasn't Sega dragged into that largely because of Archie's failure to maintain the paperwork that would have established definitively whether or not Penders had any claim to ownership of the characters he created?
Apparently Archie wants to move away from Sonic since it's not Archie and Sega was asking for more money than they were willing to pay.

I really hope the license goes over to IDW. Ian, Tyson, etc. have been doing good work, I don't see any reason why SEGA would partner up with anyone else at this point.

That being said, I do worry for the state of the comics going forward in terms of cast, particularly since SEGA has been becoming more restrictive with what people can do with the series. I wouldn't have an issue with rebooting the whole thing to be much closer to the games but keeping the SATAM cast to liven things up somewhat, but if it's just games-only material rigidly close to SEGA's 'guidelines'? Fuck, what's even the point, then?

Wow, I used to love those comics when I was a kid back in the 90s, it's crazy how fucking weird and stupid they look now.

Also, who's this Ken dude and why do we all hate him? I'd love to know because Jesus that art looks straight out of Furafinity.

WillyFive

Also, who's this Ken dude and why do we all hate him? I'd love to know because Jesus that art looks straight out of Furafinity.

A former writer of the Archie Sonic comics, who one day decided to sue Archie and Sega for using his characters (which were created for the Archie Sonic comic in the first place), and managed to win on a paperwork technicality. Because of this, a huge chunk of the canon had to be rebooted, which annoyed fans of the comic; and he's also a major embarrassment to anyone in the industry, thinking that people actually like his work and will buy his horrific Knuckles the Echidna rip-off series.

Unknown?

Damn. Hadn't read it in about 14 years, but wow. It really did run for a long time. And Sonic's a huge part of my childhood, he got me into gaming and was one of my first comic books too.

God speed.
Same here! Big Sonic fan, have the comics and even a fan forum. Sad to see this go but I'm thinking there will be good coming out of it.

Sciz

Just as well that Nintendo never bit on any of Archie's pitches. Would've been buried in a ditch by now regardless of quality.

I'd read that the Mega Man one was ending because Capcom wanted to unify the brand behind that new cartoon that was/is coming out.

I've posted speculation to that end in that past, but it's only speculation. I'm sure Archie's financial woes weren't helping any.

Is there a best of list and an easy/cheap way of reading them? I used to read them as a kid but I honestly don't remember much.

The comic really hit its stride in the 40s, my first issue was 48 or 49 (in the middle of the End Game arc which was pretty cool/intense for 9 year old me), and I read for a few years. Given the situation I'd assume all the digital resources of reading them are gone, but I'm sure there's a way *somewhere* on the internet to find issues. They did reprint a bunch over the years too but idk to what extent.

I picked it up again for like a year maybe 10 years ago or so on a whim and it was just... weird, but nice to revisit, now that it's over I wouldn't mind digging more into the series. Definitely sad to see this go, but I'm admittedly shocked it lasted this long.

TheSun

Well, since we are posting Ken's grotesque shit...

---

Gotta say, post reboot Sonic was looking good.

Shame it shuttered this way, but like most have said it was an inevitability that the comic would end. Keeping people in the dark wasn't cool, especially for a half year.

I've posted speculation to that end in that past, but it's only speculation. I'm sure Archie's financial woes weren't helping any.

What financial woes? I've heard they've been doing super well between the archie books, the show, and the licensed marvel digests.

TreIII

Welp. Can't say I've been keeping up with the comic all that much after #50, but I'm sorry for those who stayed with it.

Personally hoping that IDW gets it, like others say. Their TMNT and Transformers runs are both very good.

RedSwirl

End of a damn era. I collected that comic from somewhere in the 30's all the way up to 290.

Anyone wanna have a conversation about what issue had the best cover? I'm still partial to issue 39 but that's just off the top of my head.

I've learned so much from this thread... most of which I would've been happier not knowing. Seems like cutting ties with Archie is the right move for Sega to make.

G0523

End of a damn era. I collected that comic from somewhere in the 30's all the way up to 290.

Anyone wanna have a conversation about what issue had the best cover? I'm still partial to issue 39 but that's just off the top of my head.

That whole Mecha Madness arc was kinda scary but awesome at the same time. Sonic turned evil through roboticization. He wanted to do it willfully but it ended up not being his choice. It was savage to watch him go through that. The impending fights with him and Bunnie, Knuckles, and eventually Mecha Knuckles was pretty awesome though. But the fallout in #40 was so unfair to him.

I've learned so much from this thread... most of which I would've been happier not knowing. Seems like cutting ties with Archie is the right move for Sega to make.

not really

penders aside, Archie did a great job in making the Sonic comic high quality again. It's a real shame that it had to end like this.

Blues1990

I don't know how I feel about this, as the new team did a great job with reworking the old stuff and making it into a fun all-ages comic book. The Mega Drive mini-series is especially awesome, and I'm super upset that Overdrive will probably not get it's conclusion. :(

latest

Top Bottom