• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally official: Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog comic has come to an end.

Unknown?

That whole Mecha Madness arc was kinda scary but awesome at the same time. Sonic turned evil through roboticization. He wanted to do it willfully but it ended up not being his choice. It was savage to watch him go through that. The impending fights with him and Bunnie, Knuckles, and eventually Mecha Knuckles was pretty awesome though. But the fallout in #40 was so unfair to him.
Mecha Madness was awesome! So was #39 and Super Sonic Vs Hyper Knuckles.

I don't know how I feel about this, as the new team did a great job with reworking the old stuff and making it into a fun all-ages comic book. The Mega Drive mini-series is especially awesome, and I'm super upset that Overdrive will probably not get it's conclusion. :(

latest

Man i knowww i was soo ready to pre order it after i finished reading the volume man i hope somehow they can work this out and get to finish it, the story was good and the artwork was 15/10

BaconHat

I don't know how I feel about this, as the new team did a great job with reworking the old stuff and making it into a fun all-ages comic book. The Mega Drive mini-series is especially awesome, and I'm super upset that Overdrive will probably not get it's conclusion. :(

latest

For me, since Sonic Mega Drive actually got me back into the sonic comics, the fact we'll never get the third one, especially with Tyson Hesse saying it contains some of his best drawings, is heartbreaking.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
End of a damn era. I collected that comic from somewhere in the 30's all the way up to 290.

Anyone wanna have a conversation about what issue had the best cover? I'm still partial to issue 39 but that's just off the top of my head.

Issues 47-50 were great. Though I liked the issue 50 director's cut/Super Sonic Special cover more.

Blues1990

Man i knowww i was soo ready to pre order it after i finished reading the volume man i hope somehow they can work this out and get to finish it, the story was good and the artwork was 15/10

It also helped that both Ian and Tyson both had a handle on the characters, and it was great to see Sega CD-era Amy to have more character for this series. Dr. Robotnik was also a riot to wach.

For me, since Sonic Mega Drive actually got me back into the sonic comics, the fact we'll never get the third one, especially with Tyson Hesse saying it contains some of his best drawings, is heartbreaking.

I guess it's out of the question for him to post that artwork on his twitter/tumblr, yes? It would be tragic if it's stuck in limbo, all due to NDA's.

Mr Swine

Banned
Oh ffs, I want Archie to keep making Sonic comics :( I don't want it to end like this. Thanks a lot Ken Penders

Edit: doesn't this mean that Ken can now claim all other "non" sera characters as his own?

Nazo

This is a huge bummer. I loved reading these comics as a kid. I still own dozens of them. I kind of wished I hadn't stopped reading it now... :(

Village

Oh ffs, I want Archie to keep making Sonic comics :( I don't want it to end like this. Thanks a lot Ken Penders

I dont think its just kkens fault

he certainly didnt help though, infact him and karl are arguable the start of this eventuality.

But I think its more archie and sega themselves

Seiniyta

There's a lot of weird and crude fetishy Sonic art out there. You don't have to look far to find it or hear about. But even that stuff is still in a completely different league then what Ken Penders provides.

Stalk

Was never much an active reader but I always enjoyed it when I dipped in. Used to read it alongside the Fleetway Sonic the Comic (UK) as a kid. Miss the Fleetway one :(

Isotropy

I have never heard of Ken Penders.

His stuff is reminding me of those Sonic OC memes.

Copyright don't steal my work

tenor.gif

I will never understand the Sonic fandom.

That's not the Sonic fandom. That's his own little sad-sack series.

I have never heard of Ken Penders.

His stuff is reminding me of those Sonic OC memes.

Copyright don't steal my work

The man argued at one point that he owned an evil version of Sonic, named Evil Sonic, a robotic version of Robotnik, named Robo-Robotnik, and his various incarnations of "Knuckles but with a beard/wig/cyber-eye".

But because Archie didn't have their crap together, Penders could claim enough of a win to make things a mess for the comic.

theclaw135

Banned
WTF? I liked the echidna family tree stories! Hard to believe it now, seeing the overblown way it was removed from the comics and his excuse for "modern art".

Many legendary comic creators (Siegel & Shuster, Kirby, Ditko, etc.) have fought for decades to get what they believe is rightfully theirs from the comic book publishers they worked for and have only managed to get marginal victories if anything at all, and many fucking die long before said victories are even achieved, but Ken motherfuckin' Penders, of all people, actually managed to win his fucking fight over a 64-pack of Knuckles clones. Just think about that shit for a moment.

IpsoFacto

Those comics were based off a TV Show from 1992 / 1993. I didn't make any sense to keep it going as long as it did, methinks.

Matty77

Many legendary comic creators (Siegel & Shuster, Kirby, Ditko, etc.) have fought for decades to get what they believe is rightfully theirs from the comic book publishers they worked for and have only managed to get marginal victories if anything at all, and many fucking die long before said victories are even achieved, but Ken motherfuckin' Penders, of all people, actually managed to win his fucking fight over a 64-pack of Knuckles clones. Just think about that shit for a moment.
This thought really depresses me.

Fuck Ken Penders.

Pachael

It's a pity for many of the new talent that live and breathe Sonic like Flynn/Gray/Hesse et al but I'm sure between Archie doubling down on their named franchise and Sonic Team doing similar (but with mostly mixed results in the past few years) it was probably better to get a fresh start.

Mania should still be good, so I'll keep myself occupied

I had no idea who this Ken guy was until I jumped on Google just now...and hooooooly shit no wonders he's so reviled. I used to read the comics when I was a kid (they're almost as old as I am) and it saddens me that he indirectly killed off so many characters and even major stories still being told at the time. I'm sad to see the comic go though. Hopefully the new publisher will continue the current stuff that hasn't been resolved

Edit: is it accurate to say that had Archie never lost his contract, much of this wouldn't have happened? Was it the lack of a contract that caused the courts to side with Penders?

Saoshyant

It sucks this thread is degenerating into off-topic Ken Penders stuff. That man is mentally challenged* and not liked by anyone; not Sega, not the Sonic fandom, and much less the onlookers who don't care about Sonic in the first place and just go "groossss" when shown Penders' output.

Ian Flynn has been the writer for the past ten years with over 130 issues, and he has done a lot of good in my opinion by making the comic fun and readable for all ages. There was a suspicion among the fandom that he was recently sort of descending into Ken Penders-like bullshit with his own created characters and that such would have been the reason why Sega killed the comic.

But recent news show Archie may be the problem here as they are killing quite a few of their own comics, probably due to low sales or internal restructuring and the Sonic comic may have just been another victim. I'd like to know what really happened.

* not meant as an insult. Anyone paying attention understands that that man needs help.

Rlan

It sucks this thread is degenerating into off-topic Ken Penders stuff. That man is mentally challenged* and not liked by anyone; not Sega, not the Sonic fandom, and much less the onlookers who don't care about Sonic in the first place and just go "groossss" when shown Penders' output.

Ian Flynn has been the writer for the past ten years with over 130 issues, and he has done a lot of good in my opinion by making the comic fun and readable for all ages. There was a suspicion among the fandom that he was recently sort of descending into Ken Penders-like bullshit with his own created characters and that such would have been the reason why Sega killed the comic.

But recent news show Archie may be the problem here as they are killing quite a few of their own comics, probably due to low sales or internal restructuring and the Sonic comic may have just been another victim. I'd like to know what really happened.

* not meant as an insult. Anyone paying attention understands that that man needs help.

I think Ian was doing a pretty good job of bringing in new characters and concepts to flesh out the world. Also quite good at choosing animals that Sega would never actually touch and giving them good backstories.

SonicUniv84-666x1024.jpg

As well as bringing in concepts from all forms of prior Sonic material - hell, even AoStH mixed in with Sonic 2 on the Master System:

Sonic-269-3-b89e5.jpg

Dachande

Was it ever revealed exactly what happened here?

I loved those first two issues, I'm really happy I managed to find them. At least it turned me on to Tyson Hesse properly and lead me to his current original series, but I'd love a conclusion to Mega Drive and a collected TPB. :(

Piers

WTF?! Why would you offer someone who's out of a job to work for free?

Coz writing for comics is passion and passion is payed in fun.
The guy has some massive balls and stupidity to just ask someone, clarify that "Yes, free plz" and respond with a frown though.

They will probably make a Manga or something and translate it.
Yeah, wouldn't put it past Sega to just ditch the talent that's already there and enthusiastic for more work to just ask people in Japan to do something instead.

Menome

Did these Archie comics carry on from the previous Sonic The Comic series, or was it a completely new timeline?

Mr-Joker

Banned
So this happened

DFLhKZUU0AA0AI5.jpg

Yeah, this is a common thing that happens with artist. ¬_¬;

Though considering that the person is bad at coming up with story, my guess the guy is probably a young kid who doesn't have any money.

WTF?! Why would you offer someone who's out of a job to work for free?

Because they should be happy with getting "exposure".

Seriously people are just cheap and either don't understand or most likely just don't want to pay artist for the work hired.

That was because of the reboot though. He barely ever straight up created characters before that happened and would instead just pull from existing content and would bring it to light as something new, like Mighty's sister who was mentioned once or twice but never shown before.

Wait Jughead got iced? That sucks.

Their reboots have been awesome, but outside of Archie, their releases have been spotty as hell
It's not any recent solicits, I don't think it was officially declared done though.

The only reboot comic that had any delays was Betty and Veronica, but that's what happens when you hire Adam Hughes to do interiors.

Saoshyant

I think Ian was doing a pretty good job of bringing in new characters and concepts to flesh out the world. Also quite good at choosing animals that Sega would never actually touch and giving them good backstories.

Not disagreeing with you at all.

If Boom gets the license I hope very, very much they get Ian Flynn to write it and maybe Adam Bryce Thomas or Tracy Yardley to draw it.

Looking at his Twitter account, I think Ken Penders genuinely believes that he can use Knuckles the Echidna as one of his characters now that Archie and Sega parted ways.

MechaX

Looking at his Twitter account, I think Ken Penders genuinely believes that he can use Knuckles the Echidna as one of his characters now that Archie and Sega parted ways.

What are the odds that he's trying to contact Sega so he can do more Knuckles comics

Top Bottom