• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem If is now Fire Emblem Fates, two versions confirmed for NA, 2016 release

Isn't each version nearly as long as Awakening? It's not like you're buying half a game if you just get one.
Each version is the same for the first 6 chaoters then different the rest of the way. Each a whole game. And iirc, buying both versions cost a bit more than a single game in Japan.

AKC12

In Japan couldn't you purchase and download each path so you could play both campaigns without having to buy the other version copy? It makes no sense having a game where you have to make this huge decision, but having to buy both copies to have access to both paths.

4Tran

For the good news, this makes the decision to to pass up on the new Fire Emblem a lot easier. I'm not fond of the maid aesthetic to begin with, so I was only looking for another reason to back that decision up.

Marz

You guys are actually complaining about 2 fire emblem games when we barely get 1 every 5 years?

SMDH.

Draxal

In Japan couldn't you purchase and download each path so you could play both campaigns without having to buy the other version copy? It makes no sense having a game where you have to make this huge decision, but having to buy both copies to have access to both paths.

If you got the standard physical you could access the other path as dlc. If you got the digital you pick one path at the choosing point. If you get the deluxe edition you get to choose both.

You guys are actually complaining about 2 fire emblem games when we barely get 1 every 5 years?

SMDH.

I'm a huge Stan, but the series is niche, Awakening got alot new fans into the series, and this might chase away new players and convince that the series isn't worth it for the old players.

Still not confident they've improved the gameplay after FE13's poor showing. And the fanservice is even more excessive than before.

SoldnerKei

well, just like pokemon, gf will get one, and I'll get the other, nothing to complain about

2016 it's quite the wait thou

Sendou

Is this the game where you can pet waifus? That aside Awakening was excellent so obviously my expectations are high for this.

Ventara

This whole 2 versions thing really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This isn't 2 games like some people are saying. Many other games have done 2 storylines that intertwine like this. I probably won't be buying this until a sale, though I am weak to a CE, so I MIGHT be in if they have one that packages both games together.

The NOE twitter feed completely skipped this game for some reason.

Still not confident they've improved the gameplay after FE13's poor showing. And the fanservice is even more excessive than before.
You don't have long to find out as import impressions should come along as the game is out soon in Japan (9 days time).

Hedgey

irfCa.jpg

Fact sheet makes no mention of two versions, and states that players have to make a choice at the start of the games.

ryseing

Dancer dub is baaaad.

For the record, I'll probably end up getting all three paths at some point. Whether I get all three for full price remains to be seen. Probably Hoshido at launch, Nohr after a price drop, and third path whenever.

irfCa.jpg

Fact sheet makes no mention of two versions, and states that players have to make a choice at the start of the games.

Just going by what Kotaku said. I'll be happy to be wrong.

IGN is saying it's TBD. Schreier was the one who broke the Awakening localization, so I'd be more likely to side with him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
From what I hear, this is less Pokemon and more like the Zelda Oracle games
The games tell different stories overall, whatever you play first can be transferred into the second and then into the third DLC campaign.

Unless I have that completely wrong.

irfCa.jpg

Schreier needs to back up his reporting here, because I'm not hearing any official departure from the impression that NoA/NoE aren't even acknowledging the dual-release strategy of Fire Emblem If in Japan.

I get the impression they're still undecided on the matter, and for my part, I strongly favour a single unified release. They're clearly still leaving that option open, but somebody needs to ask for a straight-up clarification.

Hedgey

Schreier needs to back up his reporting here, because I'm not hearing any official departure from the impression that NoA/NoE are even acknowledging the dual-release strategy of Fire Emblem If in Japan.

I get the impression they're still undecided on the matter, and for my part, I strongly favour a single unified release. They're clearly still leaving that option open, but somebody needs to ask for a straight-up clarification.

Yeah, Kotaku being Kotaku I guess.
Seems like everyone else is just claiming the same thing with no reference to this "press release".

ryseing

Yeah, Kotaku being Kotaku I guess.
Seems like everyone else is just claiming the same thing with no reference to this "press release".

I'm tweeting Jason asking for a clarification.

Did not mean to be deceitful- I was just going by what I read.

Good fucking lord now it's NOT two versions again? NoA really needs to just speak up, this is some utterly confusing bullshit that could be solved just by some dude going "No it's one version"

Hedgey

I'm tweeting Jason asking for a clarification.

Did not mean to be deceitful- I was just going by what I read.

Of course, nothing directed at you man. You've posted correctly about something that was reported by various news outlets.
Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this as it's quite huge.

EDIT: IGN has reported differently. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-fire-emblem-fates-coming-2016
"Fire Emblem If will be sold as two separate games in Japan. Nintendo did not address how Fire Emblem: Fates would be sold in the States."

We have no reason to believe what Jason is saying until we see this "Press Release".
Not to mention, we only got one title mentioned. If there were two games why go with one title? Would Nintendo deceive us like that?

Definitely gonna need that clarification. I want it obviously, but I don't really want to support splicing the game up for added profits (though the Japanese versions are cheaper at base than 3DS games typically are). Perhaps that won't even be the case, but sometimes I wish Nintendo would poll for consumer input or something; I think they'd get an idea of whether we wanted two separate games or just one.
Besides, other games that have offered different paths to different endings didn't need to be split into two versions...

Hedgey

Welp, found it unfortunately.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press..._TO_GIVE_PLAYERS_UNIQUEGAMING_EXPERIENCES.php
Fire Emblem Fates: Two versions of the franchise’s new installment offer players an unprecedented choice: fight an opposing force or join the other side and try to make changes from within. For the first time in the series, players take on the role of the main character and command an army, while struggling to decide which path to follow: helping blood relatives or the family that raised him or her. The game is scheduled to launch in 2016.

Top Bottom