• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem If is now Fire Emblem Fates, two versions confirmed for NA, 2016 release

pariah164

From what I understand, what they're doing for IF in Japan is you buy whatever version you want at full price, then buy the other game digital at a cheaper rate. If this is what Nintendo decides to do, I won't mind so much.

jschreier

Yeah, Kotaku being Kotaku I guess.
Seems like everyone else is just claiming the same thing with no reference to this "press release".
Here is the press release:

Fire Emblem Fates: Two versions of the franchise’s new installment offer players an unprecedented choice: fight an opposing force or join the other side and try to make changes from within. For the first time in the series, players take on the role of the main character and command an army, while struggling to decide which path to follow: helping blood relatives or the family that raised him or her. The game is scheduled to launch in 2016.

Kotaku being Kotaku I guess.

pbayne

From what I understand, what they're doing for IF in Japan is you by whatever version you want at full price, then buy the other game digital at a cheaper rate. If this is what Nintendo decides to do, I won't mind so much.

hmm, depends on the discount and how much content is shared between the two.

Nothing unexpected. Already planning on buying both versions + 3rd branch DLC.

Only thing disappointing is that the main song in english sounds whack. Need the japanese track instead.

pariah164

Confirmed there I guess. Sigh. Nintendo, this is a very unwise decision. You lucked into Awakening's success, and you don't understand or realize that at all, clearly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm holding out hope that the two versions refers to the selectable option and not two retail packages.

yami4ct

I was hoping they wouldn't do this, but whatever. If the campaigns are as complete as they say they are, I have zero issue with it. As for it affecting the series negatively, I really doubt it. Most casual people will likely pick one version and be fine with that. Hardcore Fire Emblem fans will buy the second version DLC and the third route. Splitting the sales between 2 versions will likely make each individual edition look like it's not selling that well, but I'm sure the total of the 2 will be fine.

It's gonna be a long wait till 2016...
And Japan is getting it so soon.
Will probably swim in spoilers in the very near future. Even if I try to avoid it.

Swamped

Banned
Echoing many others, I too think two versions is dumb. I honestly thought they would have it bundled and sold at a higher price. Ok, that settles it, going for Nohr (at first anyway, I'm a loser and will probably give in)

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Going to hold off on the purchase then. If they really don't come out with an all in one version sometime down the line, I'll probably settle with just Nohr.

yami4ct

Two versions of the storyline is supposed to mean two SKUs then guess.

That press release is still open to a bit of interpretation, but it definitely seems to lean in the 2 SKU direction, at least to me. If it was 1 game they'd say 2 paths or storylines. Versions sounds like very discrete games. Hopefully some smart press person will clarify and make sure it's 2 SKUs.

Hedgey

I really don't appreciate the segregation, can we talk about Fire Emblem, please?

This information of two versions seemed to pop out of nowhere, as it was not shown, or mentioned in the direct (and is consistently shown in Japanese directs).
Some extra clarification from Nintendo would be nice, so hopefully something comes up (as we currently have conflicting information).
I don't think two versions would be a smart idea in North America, and I'm seeing a lot of mixed reactions on this thread as well.
Either way, I'm really glad this game is getting localized.

That press release is still open to a bit of interpretation, but it definitely seems to lean in the 2 SKU direction, at least to me. If it was 1 game they'd say 2 paths or storylines. Versions sounds like very discrete games. Hopefully some smart press person will clarify and make sure it's 2 SKUs.

Also, it says "The game is scheduled to launch in 2016." It's not plural.

yami4ct

Also, it says "The game is scheduled to launch in 2016." It's not plural.

Could easily see them only bringing over 1 version and just going to DLC route for the 2nd path. 3rd is always DLC, of course.

Either way, yeah the wording of the release is real weird. Seeing if I can bug someone actually at the show to get some real clarification. Nintendo will probably give some standard PR answer, but press bugging them was how the FE:Awakening localization was announced, so we'll see.

NeonZ

Definitely gonna need that clarification. I want it obviously, but I don't really want to support splicing the game up for added profits (though the Japanese versions are cheaper at base than 3DS games typically are)
That's just the standard pricing for Nintendo published games in Japan.

Besides, other games that have offered different paths to different endings didn't need to be split into two versions...

Each path also has exclusive classes, characters and even the game progression is different (grinding vs no grinding). Each kingdom has a class tree that seems completely separate from the other (although there are some characters from each kingdom that are playable in both games. It seems to be a fairly limited selection though). Yes, other series offered split campaigns in a single title, but they're allegedly making each path here as long and fully featured as a standalone FE title, while also attempting to make each path stand out on its own.

Of course, the game isn't out yet, so we don't know if they'll accomplish their promises.

Kewl0210

Neo Member
In Japan the system is you can buy one, then get the "only on the other version" contents as DLC (Cheaper than a second stand-along game). Then after you finish all that there's some kind of third story. So seriously nobody has to get both versions as full games.

Hedgey

Could easily see them only bringing over 1 version and just going to DLC route for the 2nd path. 3rd is always DLC, of course.

That would make sense with the wording, it makes it sound like you make the choice from within your one game cart, but one path could potentially lead you to the eShop to purchase it.

This was a foolish move on Nintendo's part. Just one game ago the series was on life support and now they pull nonsense like this? Yeah I liked Awakening but I'm not supporting this.

Each one has just as much content as Awakening alone though. You are essentially getting 2 games at the price of 1.5.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
That would make sense with the wording, it makes it sound like you make the choice from within your one game cart, but one path could potentially lead you to the eShop to purchase it.
A scenario where the physical version requires an online connection for a one time verification/download seems incredibly unlikely.

yami4ct

Can someone explain what this two versions thing is and how it'll work?

In Japan, both games share a few intro chapters and then heavily diverge. You buy one version and once you beat that, the other is heavily discounted DLC. At a later date, if you're beaten both, a 3rd DLC only path is available to buy. It's being sold at a cheeper rate than the DLC path as well.

Top Bottom