• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors: local multiplayer, Robin, Lisa & Lucina leaked, permadeath,more

They probably haven't, with an excuse like that they probably don't know about Sacred Stones, who has a male Lord who uses a spear. His sister (also a Lord) uses a sword, mind you, but still. The wonder twins are pretty popular in their own right, too.

If they first put all the lords in the roster would be

12 Sword (marth, alm, sigurd, cecile, leaf, roy, eliwood, lyn, eirika, ike, chrom, lucina)
1 lance (ephiram)
1 axe (hector)
3 mages (celica, micaiah, robin)
1 dragon (corrin)

That's 18 characters and you have no bows, no pegasus, no wyverns

Is Lissa actually unconventional? She's like a main character in Awakening.

She's mainly a healer so yeah she's an unconventional choice for this. If anything she would just be a portrait in the corner who speaks to you normally in this type of game like Aryll in Hyrule Warriors.

I think my biggest problem with this game so far is just how very safe it feels in comparison to Hyrule Warriors. I'm not even a remote fan of these DW games but I enjoyed HW largely because it tried to do some really crazy mash ups with characters, items, ect. which came together to at least make it seem like something all its own instead of just another DW clone.

This game on the other hand just looks so safe and boring. We already know most of the characters featured will be from Awakening/Fates, the maps we've seen don't look remotely interesting or special and the gameplay doesn't have the uniqueness or the charm that HW had. It really feels more like yet another DW game with Fire Emblem characters slapped on which just feels really lackluster.

I think theres a big missed opportunity to really dive into the strategy roots that FE is based on in the gameplay. Hell When I pictured FE combat playing out in real time I could really see it setup like DW is at times but every chapter/map in FE is generally so definitive and different with new types of units or mechanics thrown at you and you just don't even see a hint of that in this game.

Yeah I feel the same. Hopefully there is a lot of stuff they haven't shown yet to change my mind. If this is just a DW clone with FE characters (something Hyrule Warriors sure wasn't) this will be disappointing.

Like Lucina but not feeling the lineup at all. Where's my axe and lance characters.

Hector & Ephraim would of been a better choice. Unique moveset and represents more of the fire emblem franchise.

ChrisD

On the topic of too many swords, it also confuses me that they made the OC's sword characters. I'm personally fine with the number of them, but that was still the easiest decision to make. Especially if a Dev commented on not wanting too many. Should have made 'em a Lance/Axe user.

Announce Tiki already. She's got an Amiibo, it's no secret.

Anyways. I'm hoping for my favorite Fates character to show up (Felicia), but I have a feeling she won't. Give me ninjas like Saizo then.

For Awakening I'll like Sumia, Lon'qu, Nowi, or the two Khans (Flavia and Basillio.

Kouriozan

Just confirm The Black Knight via vilain unlock with patch (think Hyrule Warriors) or DLC and all will be forgiven.
I saw Marth's moveset and I'm in love <3

On the topic of too many swords, it also confuses me that they made the OC's sword characters. I'm personally fine with the number of them, but that was still the easiest decision to make. Especially if a Dev commented on not wanting too many. Should have made 'em a Lance/Axe user.

Or do like they did in Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and allow us to freely change their classes

Draxal

Heroes was much smarter with the three main characters they choose.

In additional, they have 2/12 seasonal units be foot spear users, when there's not many of them in the series.

Wasn't there a comment about class change being in the game? I assume the oc's will be able to reclass really early.

ChrisD

Announce Tiki already. She's got an Amiibo, it's no secret.

Anyways. I'm hoping for my favorite Fates character to show up (Felicia), but I have a feeling she won't. Give me ninjas like Saizo then.

For Awakening I'll like Sumia, Lon'qu, Nowi, or the two Khans (Flavia and Basillio.

Dude, a Maid, Butler, or Ninja from Fates would be great. I wonder how they'd play. Would be happy with any of them!

mas8705

Once more, the idea of "taking characters from three series" is making people feel uneasy. Funny how we saw the same thing from Hyrule warriors (when it was OoT, TP, SS), but at least we had characters that had unique movesets and weapons. Here though, it is going to be alot harder to say (not impossible mind you) if we have everyone using a sword. Not to mention that the "Weapon Triangle" is going to be rather useless if we have a good majority of characters using swords. Hopefully they will reveal more characters soon and ensure us that we will see FE characters at least in future updates or DLC.

People want their Roy, Ike and Hector.

kewlmyc

Is Lissa actually unconventional? She's like a main character in Awakening.

She's mainly known as healer and she's not really all that popular or memorable. Also as mentioned, her kid is more popular than she is.

When thinking of characters that would make it into the game, Lissa definitely wasn't on that list. Every other character announced so far was. Even if they decided to go with a healer, Elise and Sakura would have been the go to picks for most fans.

A better term to use would be "non-safe pick".

Xbro

If they first put all the lords in the roster would be

12 Sword (marth, alm, sigurd, cecile, leaf, roy, eliwood, lyn, eirika, ike, chrom, lucina)
1 lance (ephiram)
1 axe (hector)
3 mages (celica, micaiah, robin)
1 dragon (corrin)

That's 18 characters and you have no bows, no pegasus, no wyverns

Very few of those sword lords would play the same though. Marth, Alm, Leif, Roy, Eliwood, Chrom and Lucina would be grouped into one style(3 of them are in the game), Sigurd and Seliph would be another(Sigurd can use Lances as well), Lyn, Ike, and Eirika would be unique styles(Ike heavy, Lyn samurai, Eirika fencing).

Also noticed you left out Xander and Ryoma, who are both in the game and use swords.

You can have a lot of variety with sword users. They obviously know this since they already have several sword users.

Also class changes makes which weapon a character uses a moot point.

ryseing

Real talk- if they really wanted a roster with decent weapon diversity and to reasonably cater to the newer fans while giving older fans a bone, this is what they should have done.

OC
OC (non sword)
Anna
Chrom
Smash reps (six)
Alm/Celica
Pegasi sisters (could even be model swap and have the same moveset)
Hector
Ephraim
Another axe user- Camilla I guess, whatever.
Takumi as he's probably the most popular archer
Another mage- Soren?
Tiki

That's 19 characters, 21 if you count the pegasi sisters separately. But nah, let's go all in on the Awakening/Fates stuff.

Yayate

Very few of those sword lords would play the same though. Marth, Alm, Leif, Roy, Eliwood, Chrom and Lucina would be grouped into one style(3 of them are in the game), Sigurd and Seliph would be another(Sigurd can use Lances as well), Lyn, Ike, and Eirika would be unique styles(Ike heavy, Lyn samurai, Eirika fencing).

Also noticed you left out Xander and Ryoma, who are both in the game and use swords.

You can have a lot of variety with sword users. They obviously know this since they already have sword users.

Roy can shoot fire and Eliwood has a gigantic broadsword (and a horse), they'll probably be different enough, too.

LordKano

I didn't mention it but Xander is actually a horse unit, so he plays differently from the classic sword user.
Switch_FireEmblemWarriors_E32017_illustration_08_Xander25.jpg

Xbro

Roy can shoot fire and Eliwood has a gigantic broadsword (and a horse), they'll probably be different enough, too.

Should probably mention that the three that have the most similar styles are the three they chose. They literally use the same sword.

You can have a lot of variety with sword users. They obviously know this since they already have sword users.

The sword users in the game do play fairly differently from what we've seen

And I'm showing why they focused on 3 games as opposed to the series as a whole (since you'd get mostly lords who mostly use swords). I agree a game focused mostly on the lords would be fine since the lords could have a variety of play styles. The people whining in this thread come down to "boring picks all swords" and then proceed to suggest more sword users who'd be "less boring".

Draxal

Real talk- if they really wanted a roster with decent weapon diversity and to reasonably cater to the newer fans while giving older fans a bone, this is what they should have done.

OC
OC (non sword)
Anna
Chrom
Smash reps (six)
Alm/Celica
Pegasi sisters (could even be model swap and have the same moveset)
Hector
Ephraim
Another axe user- Camilla I guess, whatever.
Takumi as he's probably the most popular archer
Another mage- Soren?
Tiki

That's 19 characters, 21 if you count the pegasi sisters separately. But nah, let's go all in on the Awakening/Fates stuff.

Here's the problem. This is a japanese focused series.

You're ignoring jugdral which is more popular then sacred stones. Just having two characters represent a world doesn't do anything really imho, just having Ike and Soren wouldn't do a good job of representing Tellius, you'd probably need 4-5 characters, imho its the only reason I'm not that upset about the roster.

I'll reiterate that (I assume) most people complaining about the swords are just complaining because they used the excuse then proceeded to add 80% of the sword users in those three games.

They made the three ocs sword users. its like they doubled down on it.

Xbro

And I'm showing why they focused on 3 games as opposed to the series as a whole (since you'd get mostly lords who mostly use swords). I agree a game focused mostly on the lords would be fine since the lords could have a variety of play styles. The people whining in this thread come down to "boring picks all swords" and then proceed to suggest more sword users who'd be "less boring".

I'll reiterate that (I assume) most people complaining about the swords are just complaining because they used the excuse then proceeded to add 80% of the sword users in those three games.

Erheller

The issue isn't that there are tons of swords. People are complaining (rightfully) about too many swords because the devs said that they aren't including older characters because otherwise there would be too many swords.

Why, then, have all of the revealed characters, save for one or two (Lissa/Robin), wield swords?

Their sword excuse is nothing more than that - a cop-out. I think most people complaining would be less angry/disappointed if they came out and just said that they wanted to focus on the more popular franchises of the series.

And the crowd goes mild...

I really hope they have a lot more to announce and the final roster isn't as dry as it's looking right now. I fully expected to get characters from Dark Dragon/Awakening/Fates, but the fact that they're the ONLY games represented atm... I'm getting worried.

Should probably mention that the three that have the most similar styles are the three they chose. They literally use the same sword.
They may use the same sword but chrom/lucina have a different sword style then marth who seems to use the falchion more like a rapier

Even though lucina had similar moves in smash in awakening she and chrom both had very acrobatic moves ( that fight in the arena was pretty crazy)

Getting to the topic tho im not really surprised im kinda miffed lucina made it in (if she is in) since she would basically steal her fathers spotlight in my eyes (i also hope they give chrom and lucina the ability to use lances as well)

As for too many sword users i honestly hope the ocs are varied in game play even if they use swords

LordKano

And the crowd goes mild...

I really hope they have a lot more to announce and the final roster isn't as dry as it's looking right now. I fully expected to get characters from Dark Dragon/Awakening/Fates, but the fact that they're the ONLY games represented atm... I'm getting worried.

They said from the beginning that they would focus on these games. The way they insist on the word focusing probably means that there will be a few characters from other games (most likely Ike + a couple other guys), but don't expect too much.

There will also likely be a lot of DLC if Hyrule Warriors is any indication.

I'd assume Camilla and Takumi will be in. They're both up there popularity poll wise and address the sword-wielding issue. Tharja seems right up Tecmo Koei's ally. Asura perhaps?Please no Alm.

I'd love for Freddie to be confirmed playable but seems like if he is in he'll be a portrait.

Xbro

There will also likely be a lot of DLC if Hyrule Warriors is any indication.

At this point I have a secret hope that there will be a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 that is focused on any combination of Tellius, Magvel, Elibe and Jugdral instead of DLC

Effect

Permadeath..... I want to see how this really plays out. I was hoping this would be an option but don't know how it could work. So if they found a way then great!

Because those are this games main characters. And FE mains use swords.

Duh.

Yeah pretty much all the mains use swords. So if they're being honest that the roster isn't only sword users then the roster must be a LOT bigger then we've seen or speculated so far. There are a lot of second tier characters that don't use them even in just the three games they've pulling from.

Still annoying that it's likely Ike, Roy, Lyn, Eirika, Hector, etc will be DLC but oh well.

At this point I have a secret hope that there will be a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 that is focused on any combination of Tellius, Magvel, Elibe and Jugdral instead of DLC

This is a Koei Tecmo Warriors game. This will receive at least 1 year if not more of DLC content. Characters, Costumes, and Modes unless it sells REALLY bad. maybe in 3 years but I think they will do a Hyrule Warriors 2 first.

LordKano

Well...

Fire Emblem has enjoyed a long history of success in Japan, but has only recently become mainstream in the West with he launch of Awakening for the 3DS. With Hyrule Warriors, Zelda was already massively popular. Is it the hope that Fire Emblem Warriors will further establish the Fire Emblem franchise’s popularity?

Higuchi-san: Well of course we’d be happy if players who played this game became more interested in the Fire Emblem franchise and went back to past games and played those; that would be a great result. But, basically what we’re excited about with this project was having these characters from past FE games show up in a Warriors game where they could be involved in the thrilling action of taking on hordes of soldiers, which is a kind of experience that’s a little different from the Fire Emblem games or the way that you’ve seen them before. If Fire Emblem’s fans play this and this is the first time they play a Warriors game and they fall in love with the Warriors-style games that’s great. If Warriors fans play a Fire Emblem themed game and grow interested in the franchise, that would be great too. If everything goes well and people enjoy the game, it would be great to make a sequel where we could offer many of the other characters that people have been hoping will show up in the game.

ryseing

Here's the problem. This is a japanese focused series.

You're ignoring jugdral which is more popular then sacred stones. Just having two characters represent a world doesn't do anything really imho, just having Ike and Soren wouldn't do a good job of representing Tellius, you'd probably need 4-5 characters, imho its the only reason I'm not that upset about the roster.

Apologies. I'm a Western Emblem guy so I'm not familiar at all with Jugdral. Who would you have liked to see from that game?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's like they didn't understand why Hyrule Warriors was so popular. Or maybe Aonuma is the one who did the character selection for that. This manages somehow to look even more boring than most of Warriors games.

The roster will be probably this give or take 1-2 characters

Marth (sword)
Caeda (peg knight lance)
Tiki (dragon)
Minerva (wynern axe)
Draug (armored lance)
Cain (horse lance)

Chrom (sword)
Robin (mage/sword)
Lucina (sword)
Lissa (staff)
Tharja (mage)
Virion (bow)

Corrin (dragon/sword)
Xander (horse sword)
Ryoma (sword)
Azura (lance dancer)
Camila (wynern axe)
Hinoka (peg lance)
Takumi (bow)
Felicia (maid dagger)

LordKano

It's like they didn't understand why Hyrule Warriors was so popular. Or maybe Aonuma is the one who did the character selection for that. This manages somehow to look even more boring than most of Warriors games.

Funny that you mention it, but now I remember that Hyrule Warriors too focused only on three games (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) at start.

Top Bottom