• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors: local multiplayer, Robin, Lisa & Lucina leaked, permadeath,more

It's like they didn't understand why Hyrule Warriors was so popular. Or maybe Aonuma is the one who did the character selection for that. This manages somehow to look even more boring than most of Warriors games.

It's almost certainly anouma. Sure they left characters out in hyrule warriors but you couldn't argue that the entire franchise didn't have a good representation. Maybe there is a lack of respect for the older entries since awakening was fire emblems big hit.

Draxal

It's like they didn't understand why Hyrule Warriors was so popular. Or maybe Aonuma is the one who did the character selection for that. This manages somehow to look even more boring than most of Warriors games.

I thought Hyrule Warriors initial roster was banal. it was the King Dodongo and all those fights that saved the game.

Apologies. I'm a Western Emblem guy so I'm not familiar at all with Jugdral. Who would you have liked to see from that game?

No need to apologize, I just think its much harder to segment 20 characters from all these games. The problem with jugdral is that there's three distinct rosters so its hard to put that series in this game.

I guess if I were to pick one by generation that aren't the obvious lords.

1. 4 first half Ayra - The original Female Swordfighter.
2. 4 second half Ced -
3. 5 Othin (for axe fighter diversity sake).

It's almost certainly anouma. Sure they left characters out in hyrule warriors but you couldn't argue that the entire franchise didn't have a good representation. Maybe there is a lack of respect for the older entries since awakening was fire emblems big hit.

There was nothing pre OoT until the dlc (asides from the big 4 - including impa here)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
She's mainly known as healer and she's not really all that popular or memorable. Also as mentioned, her kid is more popular than she is.

When thinking of characters that would make it into the game, Lissa definitely wasn't on that list. Every other character announced so far was. Even if they decided to go with a healer, Elise and Sakura would have been the go to picks for most fans.

A better term to use would be "non-safe pick".

I guess my thought process here is that Awakening sold more than Fates, and she's a central character in 100% of Awakening players' experiences because it's a single path game:

fireemblem7lugr.png

That said, I do get your perspective. If you're more specifically targeting enthusiasts than general awareness, you might pick differently, though at that point, you might also have more characters from games that aren't Awakening or Fates.

ChrisD

(Boy do I hate when my internet dies just before I hit reply to quotes, friggin' peak hours. Sorry for late response.)

Or do like they did in Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and allow us to freely change their classes

Never played that, but that sounds great from a gameplay standpoint.

Heroes was much smarter with the three main characters they choose.

In additional, they have 2/12 seasonal units be foot spear users, when there's not many of them in the series.

Yeah, Heroes did well. Having... um... the female OC (I can't remember either of their names right now..) be an on-foot spear user was also neat.

Wasn't there a comment about class change being in the game? I assume the oc's will be able to reclass really early.

That'd make sense! They'll presumably still be swordies in advertising and stuff though.

I'll lol if they go all in on Fates/Awakening and Tharja's not in.

She'll be in im pretty sure Team Ninja was salivating at the opportunity to make her. They love sexualized or sexualizing the characters designs for these games just look at Hyrule Warriors (not that this is a bad thing).

Effect

Funny that you mention it, but now I remember that Hyrule Warriors too focused only on three games (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword) at start.

This. As a result the character selection for Hyrule Warriors was actually pretty limited if we're honest when you focus just on three games. All the 2D stuff was ignored. That's just looking at the "good guys" who ended up being the mains since Zelda's character roster isn't that large to begin with.

Fire Emblem has a ton more bad guys that likely could show up if we get a "villain" arc like we did in Hyrule Warriors. People forget that happen I think or forget you can play as Ganondorf, Ghirahim, and Zant. We should be looking at the bad guys that could possible show up too.

LordKano

Hyrule Warriors initial roster wasn't very good. It covered only three games but with some very weird choices, like Machaon from Twilight Princess. Fire Emblem Warriors will have more characters from the start so I'm more confident.

This. As a result the character selection for Hyrule Warriors was actually pretty limited if we're honest when you focus just on three games. All the 2D stuff was ignored. That's just looking at the "good guys".

Fire Emblem has a ton more bad guys that likely could show up if we get a "villain" arc like we did in Hyrule Warriors. People forget that happen I think or forget you can play as Ganondorf, Ghirahim, and Zant.

Most of my time on HW was playing with Ghirahim. It was such a good character. The DLC later on had characters from every game in the serie, including the 2D ones.

Not surprised at the characters revealed since they all have cutscenes character models. The team doesn't have to start from scratch.

Draxal

I guess my thought process here is that Awakening sold more than Fates, and she's a central character in 100% of Awakening players' experiences because it's a single path game:

fireemblem7lugr.png

That said, I do get your perspective. If you're more specifically targeting enthusiasts than general awareness, you might pick differently, though at that point, you might also have more characters from games that aren't Awakening or Fates.

Elise has nendoroid merchandise, they know she's popular. To be honest, Intelligent Systems knows who is popular in Japan (they just have no clue on who was popular in the west)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Elise has nendoroid merchandise, they know she's popular. To be honest, Intelligent Systems knows who is popular in Japan (they just have no clue on who was popular in the west)

If there are actually 20 characters, I could plausibly see both.

Effect

Hyrule Warriors initial roster wasn't very good. It covered only three games but with some very weird choices, like Machaon from Twilight Princess. Fire Emblem Warriors will have more characters from the start so I'm more confident.

Most of my time on HW was playing with Ghirahim. It was such a good character. The DLC later on had characters from every game in the serie, including the 2D ones.

You're right. I forgot that the 3DS version did end up getting DLC from the 2D games like. I don't have that version.

In the Elibe DLC pack since he's not going to be in starting roster.

That's likely how the DLC will go too. DLC packs for each era/game. Some maybe getting more then one. DLC for the Fire Emblem games has been crazy. They can go insane with the dlc for this game.

Edit:

Wii U version also got them. I didn't buy the 3DS one. The roster is the same amongst both games.

Hmm. Will have to check that out. Haven't play HW in a while. Had to force myself to step away from it. Thanks.

Draxal

If there are actually 20 characters, I could plausibly see both.

She's probably in.

The other thing that people don't mention how long the dev time for these games are. This game has been in development for a while, likely before all the voice actors got cast for all the pre Shadow Dragon games for fire emblem heroes (the characters from shadow dragon that are going to be in this game are most likely going to be using the same voice actors from #FE). It doesn't really excuse the lack of Tellius though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
She's probably in.

The other thing that people don't mention how long the dev time for these games are. This game has been in development for a while, likely before all the voice actors got cast for all the pre Shadow Dragon games (the characters from shadow dragon that are going to be in this game are most likely going to be using the same voice actors from #FE).

Yes. IntSys was noting that they were quite surprised that Adult Tiki was so much more popular than Young Tiki in the character popularity poll, and I noticed that the Fire Emblem Warriors amiibo for Tiki is Young Tiki.

Pulling the Top 20 in the survey from just those games plausibly results in a few things they would have never expected, like (as they've publicly admitted) Donnel being popular:

1. Lucina: 42,875
2. Tharja: 29,540
3. Camilla: 25,766
4. Chrom: 23,803
5. Corrin (female): 19,599
6. Cordelia: 14,362
7. Azura: 14,198
8. Robin (male): 14,149
9. Takumi: 12,662
10. Leo: 12,175
11. Henry: 12,131
12. Nowi: 10,571
13. Donnel: 10,479
14. Robin (female): 10,387
15. Lon'qu: 10,002
16. Tiki (adult): 9,794
17. Gaius: 9,465
18. Felicia:: 9,121
19. Elise: 8,962
20. Niles: 8,703

They did manage to pick the correct Corrin though.

Veedot

This is shaping up to be really boring

Hoping for actually interesting character choices
I'm the last person to be called a FE fan but this is what I'm hoping for. Because any character that appeals to me isn't important and the characters the fan base deems popular bores me to tears. I can't stand marth,roy,lucina,chrom,robin etc. But then again I'm in the minority

Xbro

Yes. IntSys was noting that they were quite surprised that Adult Tiki was so much more popular than Young Tiki in the character popularity poll, and I noticed that the Fire Emblem Warriors amiibo for Tiki is Young Tiki.

Pulling the Top 20 in the survey from just those games plausibly results in a few things they would have never expected, like (as they've publicly admitted) Donnel being popular:

7. Azura: 14198

Donnel was a meme wasn't he?

Draxal

7. Azura: 14198

Fire Emblem 1/(book 1 of 3)/13 is the most important game in the series. The fact that Caeda did so awful, showed how much of a disaster shadow dragon was in the west, and I don't think Int Sys realized it.

Ayup, Etika was pushing his followers to vote him.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yes, but I do think the archetype of "There was this farmer boy who became a hero." has historically been incredibly popular in the West, and him being a joke-y version of that is actually a pretty successful formula.

Xbro

Fire Emblem 1/(book 1 of 3)/13 is the most important game in the series. The fact that Caeda did so awful, showed how much of a disaster shadow dragon was in the west, and I don't think Int Sys realized it.

I'm assuming you mean Fire Emblem 1/(book 1 of 3)/11, rather than 13

Erheller

I'm the last person to be called a FE fan but this is what I'm hoping for. Because any character that appeals to me isn't important and the characters the fan base deems popular bores me to tears. I can't stand marth,roy,lucina,chrom,robin etc. But then again I'm in the minority

According to the popularity poll, only Roy, Lucina, and Chrom are actually popular out of the characters you listed.
Roy wouldn't be popular if people knew how bad he was in his game

Xbro

What if they end up putting Donnel in the game just because of Etika

I think they were too far into development by the time the poll came out to change what they have already planned. Otherwise maybe they would have reconsidered their choices.

Are they trying to tank this game's chances with that roster? Why limit it to only a few FE games? Why make the stupid claim about wanting to reduce sword users, when the majority of sword users?!

Cryxok

The roster will be probably this give or take 1-2 characters

Marth (sword)
Caeda (peg knight lance)
Tiki (dragon)
Minerva (wynern axe)
Draug (armored lance)
Cain (horse lance)

Chrom (sword)
Robin (mage/sword)
Lucina (sword)
Lissa (staff)
Tharja (mage)
Virion (bow)

Corrin (dragon/sword)
Xander (horse sword)
Ryoma (sword)
Azura (lance dancer)
Camila (wynern axe)
Hinoka (peg lance)
Takumi (bow)
Felicia (maid dagger)

For some reason I find it unlikely to have such an assymetrical roster. For example, I doubt we'll Cain without Abel or more Hoshidan royals than Nohrian royals. Also, Leo should be playable IMO as he is the only likely mounted mage.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are they trying to tank this game's chances with that roster? Why limit it to only a few FE games? Why make the stupid claim about wanting to reduce sword users, when the majority of sword users?!

We're talking about Fire Emblem games that sold an order of magnitude more in the West than many of the previous ones did, and the West was where Hyrule Warriors succeeded for the most part.

Musou has also been on some hard times in Japan, so I'd probably hedge hard in that direction as well.

Like I get why people who have followed the series for decades would be disappointed, but I don't think that's the primary target audience here. Things like Echoes are more along the lines of trying to serve that audience.

According to the popularity poll, only Roy, Lucina, and Chrom are actually popular out of the characters you listed.
Roy wouldn't be popular if people knew how bad he was in his game

Marth got more votes than Chrom when you combine his appearances though?

also Lissa is so uncared for Priscilla is going to beat her in a fair fight in FE Heroes, sad!

Draxal

The roster will be probably this give or take 1-2 characters

Marth (sword)
Caeda (peg knight lance)
Tiki (dragon)
Minerva (wynern axe)
Draug (armored lance)
Cain (horse lance)

Chrom (sword)
Robin (mage/sword)
Lucina (sword)
Lissa (staff)
Tharja (mage)
Virion (bow)

Corrin (dragon/sword)
Xander (horse sword)
Ryoma (sword)
Azura (lance dancer)
Camila (wynern axe)
Hinoka (peg lance)
Takumi (bow)
Felicia (maid dagger)

I'm going to say take out Minerva (don't recall her being in #FE). Add Abel (he did have a voice as he was cast as a villain in that game). Elise is def in. Take out Hinoka, add Oboro and Cordelia.

EDarkness

Two, actually. Robin will probably stuck to magic.

I hope that isn't the case. I used him mainly as a swordsman in Awakening and I'd like to have the option to do so again. Being able to use both is what made him so flexible as a character.

Also, not that I had any doubt, but good to see my boy Robin making an appearance.

kewlmyc

fireemblem7lugr.png

Honestly, it's not even about popularity. I'm surprised they're going with healers to begin with. Thought we'd be getting the go to Awakening units (Tharja, Robin, Chrom, Cordelia, Lucina, Gaius, maybe Owain, Henry, and Virion). Lissa never crossed my mind, despite being a part of the story from the beginning.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So hyped
Hopefully they will make a character for each amiibo too
Considering I have all the FE ones ;please
Class change sounds great too

Draxal

Honestly, it's not even about popularity. I'm surprised they're going with healers to begin with. Thought we'd be getting the go to Awakening units (Tharja, Robin, Chrom, Cordelia, Lucina, Gaius, maybe Owain, Henry, and Virion). Lissa never crossed my mind, despite being a part of the story from the beginning.

There's going to be some characters that are not very popular in the game anyway even though they're not that popular (HI DRAUG) just because of achetype.

Cryxok

My personal prediction/wishlist for the roster would be like this:

-Shadow Dragon: Marth, Merric, Tiki, Jeorge, Minerva and Navarre; maybe Hardin as a nod to his role in FE3/12
-Awakening: Chrom, Lissa, Lucina, Robin, Tharja, Cordelia, Frederick and Gaius
-Fates: Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, Leo, Takumi, Camilla, Hinoka, Azura and Felicia

If it gets close to that, I'd be satisfied. I think Shadow Dragon characters outside of Marth and Tiki are the biggest guesses.

Draxal

My personal prediction/wishlist for the roster would be like this:

-Shadow Dragon: Marth, Merric, Tiki, Jeorge, Minerva and Navarre; maybe Hardin as a nod to his role in FE3/12
-Awakening: Chrom, Lissa, Lucina, Robin, Tharja, Cordelia, Frederick and Gaius
-Fates: Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, Leo, Takumi, Camilla, Hinoka, Azura and Felicia

If it gets close to that, I'd be satisfied. I think Shadow Dragon characters outside of Marth and Tiki are the biggest guesses.

Caeda's a lock.

Lucina is a given, if anything it's concerning she wasn't revealed until now.

Lissa makes sense plot-wise: she's connected to Chrom AND Lucina, so having her allows them a character with a decent history with two others. Not that they couldn't do that with a royal Fates healer, but she's the go-to if they wanted one from Awakening.

Male Robin makes total sense since we got female Corrin. I'm ok with this.

I could go be involved in the various spats about sword users and them prioritizing only three games and whatnot, but when it comes down to it all I really care about is Cordelia making it in, and a bunch of people have noted her likeliness, so I'm cautiously happy.

If people were asking for like, Joshua, or something that complaint would be warranted.

I love Joshua and want him to be in a Warriors game someday.

to be fair. Joshua was in top 20 males with the Heroes poll. not exactly niche
only SS characters that beat him were Ephraim , Eirika and Lute
many more obscure characters around

Takumi is the only decent archer from 1/13/14, so I assume it would be him.

He and rest of the fates royals are most likely in. i can't imagine otherwise

Top Bottom