• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

PGamer

fucking juniors
Firefox 55.0 is out today: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/55.0/releasenotes/

Version 55.0, first offered to Release channel users on August 8, 2017

Today's release brings innovative functionality, improvements to core browser performance, and more proof that we’re committed to making Firefox better than ever. New features include support for WebVR, making Firefox the first Windows desktop browser to support VR experiences. Performance changes include significantly faster startup times when restoring lots of tabs and settings that let users take greater control of our new multi-process architecture. We’ve also upgraded the address bar to make finding what you want easier, with search suggestions and the integration of our one-click search feature, and safer, by prioritizing the secure - https - version of sites when possible. Read what Nick Nguyen (VP, Firefox Product) has to say about Firefox 55, get historical perspective on the development of WebVR from Sean White (SVP, Emerging Technologies) in this Medium post, and read about all the new features for developers in Firefox 55 on Mozilla Hacks.

We'd also like to extend a special thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox!

v55 is a big jump and breaks compatibility from all previous versions. Mozilla advises backing up your v54 profile if you ever have plans to downgrade.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
v55 is a big jump and breaks compatibility from all previous versions. Mozilla advises backing up your v54 profile if you ever have plans to downgrade.

I don't know about breaking compatibility with things, but I know that going from 32-bit v54 to 64-bit v55 has made the browser sluggish on YouTube and some other sites. It will often stall when I click on a video/link before opening the new page.

Anybody had this happen since the update? How can I fix it?

gaiadyne

Firefox updated and now my add-ons are marked as legacy and don't work anymore.

Time to jump to chrome.

yeah... if it were just a few add-ons I wouldn't have a problem but it's practically every useful add-on I have. Going to have to make that jump until hopefully those add-ons are supported again

edit: or maybe not. Still if these aren't supported when the November update comes around I'll have to change things up. I've already been having some major slowdowns recently while using Firefox so maybe it will be for the best

PGamer

fucking juniors

"Legacy" extensions should still work fine until Firefox 57.0 which isn't set to release until November. uBlock Origin ran into a bug today that caused it to stop working for some users and can be fixed by reinstalling it if that is the problem you ran into.

PillarEN

"Legacy" extensions should still work fine until Firefox 57.0 which isn't set to release until November. uBlock Origin ran into a bug today that caused it to stop working for some users and can be fixed by reinstalling it if that is the problem you ran into.

OK. Good to know. Was wondering why it wasn't working as my other legacy extension (Greasemonkey) was fine. Gonna try a reinstall then.

EDIT: Yes. It worked. Whew. Don't know what I'd do without my favorite add blocker on Firefox (probably would have waited a day or two till the natural update would have fixed it lol)

If I reinstall, do I lose my whitelist? I think I'll just hold out a few days and hope for a fix.

Time to jump to chrome.

yeah... if it were just a few add-ons I wouldn't have a problem but it's practically every useful add-on I have. Going to have to make that jump until hopefully those add-ons are supported again

edit: or maybe not. Still if these aren't supported when the November update comes around I'll have to change things up. I've already been having some major slowdowns recently while using Firefox so maybe it will be for the best

what addons you guys using ?

the most useful one i need is "save file to"

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
56.0 beta has an issue where additional tabs won't load websites. Opening a second browser instance doesn't give the same issue.

Is that why when I click a link on GAF, a new tab will sometimes open but stay blank? Not using v55, not the beta.

PillarEN

If I reinstall, do I lose my whitelist? I think I'll just hold out a few days and hope for a fix.

Wish I respnded earlier as I don't know what the situation is with the add on for those who have not reinstalled yet, but I can confirm that my whitelist was in tact when I reinstalled.

Recently on Firefox a few websites simple doesn't work when I switch tabs. Like I can't click on anything or click on a chatbox to type stuff. Also weirdly enough when I change to that particular tab the browser loads the website in a weird way, like for a few seconds it takes up 1/4 of the browser window before expanding to normal.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've also experienced issues with links not loading but even more annoying now is that YouTube is completely messed up for me on FF. When I click my profile icon the menu goes away immediately, but even worse is that every vid opens in theater mode and it doesn't remember when I pick 'default view'. I've tried clearing cookies but it doesn't help. I was trying out the beta version, then uninstalled and went back to stable FF but same issues there.

Before I cleared my cookies I couldn't even pick default view, it kept switching back to theater mode. Ugh what is going on with FF

jediyoshi

WkSXb2M.png

Welp.

Back to Chrome.

Mr_Zombie

Ok, the new Firefox is really fast.

But... I don't like its look. First FireFox tried to be like Chrome, now it tries to be like Edge :/. On top of that, most add-ons I was using (Context Search, Firebug, FireGestures, Greasemonkey, NoScript, Toggle animated GIFs, WebDeveloper) are gone, and that's not cool.

Faddy

Banned
Ok, the new Firefox is really fast.

But... I don't like its look. First FireFox tried to be like Chrome, now it tries to be like Edge :/. On top of that, most add-ons I was using (Context Search, Firebug, FireGestures, Greasemonkey, NoScript, Toggle animated GIFs, WebDeveloper) are gone, and that's not cool.

I love the new look. Setting the density to compact* makes it look almost exactly how I had it set up before using multiple addons.

*Do this by going to Customise then the Density menu on the bottom row.

Wow, this is pretty exciting.

I love the user interface, and it is fast and smooth.

This might bring me back to FF after a few years of chrome. :)

Edit: I'm really liking it. Ever since the material design update of chrome I felt like chrome had the better looking UI, but this new FF design is pretty damn pretty and slick. I love the options to change the theme/layout as well. I'm liking the dark theme.

Now I'm looking for some interesting add-ons. Most essential ones are compatible with the beta, but some smaller ones are missing.

Wag

A lot of addons (like FVD Speed View) don't work with Quantum. I rely on a lot of those pretty heavily. Join by Joapps doesn't have a Firefox add-on either. I guess I'm out.

Firefox v56 is scheduled to release tomorrow, which will be the final version before Firefox Quantum (v57) is pushed to Stable (currently schedule for November 14).

Faddy

Banned
Bollocks. Time to downgrade. 90% of my addons don't work.

Some bigger addons are going to be available when 57 goes to Release next month but I don't see all add-ons being ready.

So if you want longer term compatibility you probably need to jump back to ESR (v52 with Security Upgrades). The issue with that is that your profile is no longer compatible so you will need to set up everything from scratch.

Fucksake. So I can't just install the last version? Astonishes me that they didn't plan for the fact that people might need to downgrade if their addons weren't supported.

Oh well, I guess that decides it. Over to Opera.

Faddy

Banned
Fucksake. So I can't just install the last version? Astonishes me that they didn't plan for the fact that people might need to downgrade if their addons weren't supported.

Oh well, I guess that decides it. Over to Opera.

You can install the last version without issue. However that is a very short term solution imo since Release is hitting next month. You could disable auto-updates if you wanted to and keep v56, however that isn't the most secure solution.

Ideally you would go back to the ESR (Extended Support Release) that will get security updates until March, but your profile is no longer able to be imported to that version.

Mozilla have been slow rolling the end of add-ons for a while now but not everything will be smooth. I would say if your add-on has a Chrome equivalent you can expect it to work when v57 releases.

At the moment I'm down 14 addons... so I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Bigges like lastpass, flashblock, xmarks, noscript and webdeveloper are my main concern.

Top Bottom