• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

OG Kush

I just upgraded from 3.6 to the newest version, I think its 11. When i click on the X it doesn't give me the option to save the tabs I have open? How do I get this back?

Also doesnt give me the option in history options to allow site which haven't been visited in a ceertain time to be deleted. e.g. in firefox 3 i could set it so it would delete any site I hadn't visisted in the last 2 months from my history..

Izick

I just upgraded from 3.6 to the newest version, I think its 11. When i click on the X it doesn't give me the option to save the tabs I have open? How do I get this back?

Also doesnt give me the option in history options to allow site which haven't been visited in a ceertain time to be deleted. e.g. in firefox 3 i could set it so it would delete any site I hadn't visisted in the last 2 months from my history..

Preferences---->General Tab------> Should be the item with the label of Start up

I've used Firefox for years, and it's great with very minimal problems if ever.

For some reason it even got YouTube to remove its logo with the site still running flawlessly, and in my opinion this is not a bad thing. I'm not sure how it happened so for anyone that wants to try it then I couldn't tell you how, lol.

Mr_Zombie

It seems that Firebug (1.9.1) doesn't work with Aurora 14 :/ HTML and CSS tabs either doesn't show anything or, in case of HTML tab, shows only the root of the document but refuses to expand the tree or inspect individual HTML elements.

kharma45

Firefox now acting such a prick that it wouldn't even let me close the process in Task Manager.

I'll try another fresh install of 12 and if it isn't any better I'll just roll back to 11.

zou

Still stuck on 11a2, hate the new scrolling.

Anyone kow how to revert to the old smooth scrolling (pre 12)? And I'm not talking about max/min duration settings, but the stupid rubber banding they copied from iOS?

Oh and is there a way yet to get the favicons next to the location bar back?

Road

Still stuck on 11a2, hate the new scrolling.

Anyone kow how to revert to the old smooth scrolling (pre 12)? And I'm not talking about max/min duration settings, but the stupid rubber banding they copied from iOS?

Maybe you were not using smooth scrolling before? It's now on by default. You can disable it on Options/Preferences: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Options window - Advanced panel#w_general-tab

Oh and is there a way yet to get the favicons next to the location bar back?
No option. You'll need an extension but I don't know any.

lexi

Banned
I'm on 13, I don't know if there was an update or whatever yesterday but I'm loving it. Firefox 'feels' the best it has in years, also love the new new tab ui + start page.

zou

Maybe you were not using smooth scrolling before? It's now on by default. You can disable it on Options/Preferences: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Options window - Advanced panel#w_general-tab

No option. You'll need an extension but I don't know any.

Nah, I'm currently using smooth scrolling. In one of the alphas they fucked it up even worse, some idiot dev decided to jack it up to 700ms ... Had to keep scrolling for almost a second before it would move at all. Love their dev process of one guy just doing whatever without no consideration or input at all. Just like with the new image view that fucks any image that uses transparency.

OG Kush

Preferences---->General Tab------> Should be the item with the label of Start up

This doesn't alright but before it gave you the option every time you closed whether you wanted to save. Now its you have to manually change it everytime which is kind of annoying... ah well.

Road

Nah, I'm currently using smooth scrolling. In one of the alphas they fucked it up even worse, some idiot dev decided to jack it up to 700ms ... Had to keep scrolling for almost a second before it would move at all. Love their dev process of one guy just doing whatever without no consideration or input at all. Just like with the new image view that fucks any image that uses transparency.
I see. I guess the answer is again some extension. See if this one suits you: https://addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/yet-another-smooth-scrolling/?src=ss

This doesn't alright but before it gave you the option every time you closed whether you wanted to save. Now its you have to manually change it everytime which is kind of annoying... ah well.
If you remember history, Firefox always saves your last session. Now the option is to "Restore Previous Session" (inside the History menu) when you open it again, instead of choosing to save it when you close.

As for the history time limit, it's now done based on the amount of pages instead of the amount of time: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/814285#answer-172779

New Firefox design will offer uniform look across desktop and mobile

ffcontours-4fa0626-intro.png

Mozilla recently combined its desktop and mobile design teams with the aim of unifying the Firefox user experience across form factors. A presentation slide deck published by Mozilla’s Madhava Enros offers some insight into the design process and shows how the effort to boost Firefox’s visual cohesion aligns with Mozilla’s Kilimanjaro initiative.

Mozilla is aiming for a "soft, friendly, and human" design that will "feel like Firefox" across all supported platforms and form factors. The challenge will be blending the browser’s distinctive visual style with the conventions of the underlying platforms. The slide presentation includes mockups that show how the new design language will translate to various environments, including Android, Metro, B2G, and the conventional desktop.

Some design elements will be shared across all of those environments. The presentation shows how the same distinctive curved shapes will be used to give Firefox uniform contours on different form factors.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is the Aurora build of FF 14 suppose to have the new download manager because I'm on the latest Aurora build with the old download manager.

Blackhead

Redarse
I look at all these plans that Mozilla has for Firefox on W8 and Android and I get a little pissed off that they don't deliver similar system integration for the Mac version.

Madtown_

I look at all these plans that Mozilla has for Firefox on W8 and Android and I get a little pissed off that they don't deliver similar system integration for the Mac version.

They're planning on making Firefox look the same across all platforms, Mac included. But they are falling behind.

Jake.

i had the same version of firefox for years, and my mum was using my computer and must of accidentally clicked update or something. anyway, now i'm stuck with 12.0 - does anyone know when the add-ons will be compatible? all of mine (around 20) seem to be not working, i especially want adblock plus and smart bookmarks bar.

GabDX

Banned
I've just discovered the Vimperator and Pentadactyle addons. Holy crap this is amazing. I can now do pretty much everything without touching the mouse ever.

neoanarch

i had the same version of firefox for years, and my mum was using my computer and must of accidentally clicked update or something. anyway, now i'm stuck with 12.0 - does anyone know when the add-ons will be compatible? all of mine (around 20) seem to be not working, i especially want adblock plus and smart bookmarks bar.

Ugh. Why do people do this? This is no better than using IE 6 on your XP machine. Every new update comes with a ton of security updates. I've also never had a addon compatibility issue that wasn't fixed with switching to a different addon that does the same thing and is actually updated.

Adblock Plus is definitely compatible with Firefox 12.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock_lite/?src=search
I switched to this fork ever since they introduced the acceptable ads thing.

Mr_Zombie

Ugh. Why do people do this? This is no better than using IE 6 on your XP machine.

I find it funny that people can bitch at Microsoft and IE6, claiming that the browser is shitty, full of bugs and security issues, and prevents Internet from moving forward (producing a version of web site that is suitable for IE6 is a nightmare, and many corporations require it). And yet there are still people who for some odd reason (like, that one add-on whose author abandoned it few years ago and hasn't been bothered to update to it ever since) decide to stay at some old-ass version of Firefox. They are probably unaware that they are becoming an equivalent of IE6 users . :/

Road

^Yep. No reason to move away from the original ABP.

Anyway, In-Content UI available on Nightly.

If you flip "browser.preferences.inContent" to true, it'll be the standard. If you let it on false, you can still access them through "about:preferences".

Work in progress, obviously.

wondering if you guys can give me a hand. i'm using firefox 12 on osx lion and hate the way it fullscreens. i'm now using maximizer alongside bettertouchtools but have come across a problem, the fullscreen shortcut uses the old, native firefox style of fullscreening, which is shit and not the awesome lion-style maximizer fullscreen. anybody know of a way to make a bettertouchtools shortcut that uses maximizer and not firefox' native fullscreen thing?

Izick

wondering if you guys can give me a hand. i'm using firefox 12 on osx lion and hate the way it fullscreens. i'm now using maximizer alongside bettertouchtools but have come across a problem, the fullscreen shortcut uses the old, native firefox style of fullscreening, which is shit and not the awesome lion-style maximizer fullscreen. anybody know of a way to make a bettertouchtools shortcut that uses maximizer and not firefox' native fullscreen thing?

I'm sorry, I don't have a Mac, but besides bumping this thread so that someone who does can help you, I suggest asking in the Mac OS X thread. They should probably be able to help you if nobody here can.

kharma45

If you don't want to wait for it to auto update Firefox 13 is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux .

The images on the new tab page don't look great however, too zoomed out and you can't really see what's on the page they're previewing.

kharma45

Learned something new today about Firefox from Reddit, pasting a URL (ctrl/cmd + v) in Firefox's download manager will let you download whatever you pasted. Works with everything, including webpages, images, the whole shebang.

When does the beta of FF14 go live?

Should've been yesterday, June 4th.

thetechkid

On the New Tab page I only see 5/9 slot filled with websites and I'm assume thats because it goes based off your viewing habits, but theres no preview for the sites listen on the page. I only get grey boxes with the name of the website.

On the New Tab page I only see 5/9 slot filled with websites and I'm assume thats because it goes based off your viewing habits, but theres no preview for the sites listen on the page. I only get grey boxes with the name of the website.
Yeah I'm not sure why they brought it out of beta when it still looks poor like this, it seems it only keeps it if you visit recently.

kharma45

No problems with mine, I've the sites pinned that I want to stay and the blank ones once I clicked on them and loaded up a page when I went back an image was present.

When does the beta of FF14 go live?

It's on the FTP.

Fx 14 finally supports Lion full-screen mode. Although, they need to work on it a bit. It goes full screen and moves into its own space, but they do nothing to reduce the chrome. So, for the moment, there's plenty of wasted space in full-screen.

Darkatomz

go to about:config and set both
- general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS
- general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS
to 150. That should help a lot
...Or you can just turn it back off under the Advanced/General tab in Options lol

I have no idea why they set that back to on by default.

Top Bottom