• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch | Spoiler Discussion

Man I just finished and loved it but yeah the more I think about the Ned stuff the more I start to dislike it... was handled pretty poorly even if the journey was pretty good. I was scared shit less when I found the clipboard and then got knocked out and it also allowed you to bond with D more.

Overall though I knew at some point we would never actually see D in game because the game didn't really model any detailed player character models. The ending was disappointing and deflating but expected, even if the whole Brian stuff hadn't happened I could see her withdrawing anyway because that's the type of person she is.

There were a lot of chouses that seemed to be good that never panned out, like what to do with the wedding ring and what not. Sound design/soundtrack was fantastic though.

Overall it still beats Oxenfree in terms of movie like games for me this year.

RaginRoss

Just finished this in a couple of sittings after picking it up in the Xbox Black Friday sales.

Really enjoyed it. The atmosphere and storytelling were top notch - the back and forth between Henry and Delilah was very well done.

Loved little touches like Henry taking off his wedding ring at one point, and being able to put it back on.

I like that it didn't end up being some giant conspiracy or crazy twist, I think that would have taken away from things. Though I would say some of the actions Ned takes are a little bit far-fetched but I can forgive that.

PS - Was I the only one constantly expecting a jump scare at the end of one of the climbing animations / rope descends ?

RoKKeR

Just finished this in a couple of sittings after picking it up in the Xbox Black Friday sales.

Really enjoyed it. The atmosphere and storytelling were top notch - the back and forth between Henry and Delilah was very well done.

Loved little touches like Henry taking off his wedding ring at one point, and being able to put it back on.

I like that it didn't end up being some giant conspiracy or crazy twist, I think that would have taken away from things. Though I would say some of the actions Ned takes are a little bit far-fetched but I can forgive that.

PS - Was I the only one constantly expecting a jump scare at the end of one of the climbing animations / rope descends ?

Just finished it as well and this really sums up most of my thoughts - nicely put.

And yes, I dreaded every animation that forced the camera either directly up or down. Glad there weren't any egregious jump scares - I hate that stuff. There was real tension at certain moments but I'm glad they kept it to just that.

After being initially a bit disappointed with the sort of abrupt 'no-frills' ending...after 24 hours and digesting it a bit, I applaud how it ended.

I think we, as consumers of games/tv/movies, have come to always expect some whiz-bang reveal at the end or some crazy twist.

Firewatch has a VERY raw and matter of fact ending. Sort of like life. I appreciate that.

dLMN8R

After being initially a bit disappointed with the sort of abrupt 'no-frills' ending...after 24 hours and digesting it a bit, I applaud how it ended.

I think we, as consumers of games/tv/movies, have come to always expect some whiz-bang reveal at the end or some crazy twist.

Firewatch has a VERY raw and matter of fact ending. Sort of like life. I appreciate that.

Yep, I think it's a good time to re-post what I posted when the game first came out:

I loved it.

I'm so happy a game like this can exist. Just a story about two people going through difficult times in their lives. Two people immensely lonely despite the fact that they have each other for months.

So lonely that they'll imagine conspiracies where they are none. Conspiracies where they hope, maybe subconsciously, that there's something larger at work going on, just so they can feel like they're important and part of something bigger.

But they're not. And that's why Delilah feels so empty after discovering that it was just Ned all along. And when the girls are found safe and in jail, she can't even be a part of that story either.

And Henry too. He keeps running after every suspicious thing because he wants some sort of human contact. He doesn't care if it puts his life at risk, he just needs...something. Anything. Just so his life can have some sort of importance or meaning.

But he can't ever find anyone. The girls are too far away. His stalker is always just out of reach. His attacker ran away before he could see anything. The person who locked the door behind him got away quickly. The guy in his lookout tower was gone seconds before he got back there. Delilah gets away on a helicopter before he can see her.

He can't even prevent or create fires. He's just powerless. Powerless to help his wife. Powerless in his relationship with Delilah. Powerless in his ability to scare those girls since someone else scared them away for him.

In the end, it's just a story of two lonely people, connected by a simple radio, and even their most convincing conspiracies were built up out of nothing.

It was a beautiful story unlike anything I've ever seen in a game. I'm so happy for Campo Santo and what they created.

I still think this now, all these months later.

Just grabbed it tonight and beat it in about 3 hours. Two major motivators for picking it up was some of the positive talk from some Giant Bomb staffers on their Game of the Year podcasts, and the weekend sale -- almost picked it up during the winter sale and then started to feel a bit of regret about not grabbing it, so pretty grateful for the weekend sale again.

I enjoyed it for the most part.

However, I immediately began to think back to things I heard said about the game's narrative and I'm not sure why it doesn't resonate with me as much.

A few personal points about myself before I proceed:

I've been single my entire life. I got rejected a couple of times in high school and once in college, suffered some depression, and at some point in my life kind of just decided I am going to rough it alone -- classic "forever aloner," I guess, though I don't think I really carry the desperate attention-seeking chip-on-my-shoulder about it as seems to be the case with genuinely despairing lonely people. I don't have a point of reference for the difficulties of being in a relationship, and instead have a different set of challenges to take on. I do most things by myself. In fact, some coworkers found me eating by myself at a restaurant and they came to me at work a few days after and asked if I was okay, and expressed that they thought it was super weird. For me, that didn't feel super weird -- it happens all the time. I think a truer "forever aloner" type has a point of reference and is maybe seeking to find the comforts of a relationship again, but again, I guess I wouldn't know for sure.

That said, I see this game get talked up all the time as sort of a game about loneliness, but I think it's a game about loneliness from the perspective of loneliness being abnormal in the person's life. For me, it's perfectly normal.

From the very get-go, at the beginning when you're selecting the various little texts that define Henry and Julia's earlier life, I found myself kind of picking a path that I felt gave Julia space to be her own person, and implicitly by extension, gave Henry that freedom too. I tried my best to get as close to that as possible. Throughout the actual interactions with Delilah, I responded to her amicably but never really in a way that suggested romance -- despite the opportunity to kindle a relationship presented through the Firewatch job, I still imagined in my head that if I were Henry, I'd still be loyal to Julia really without question -- it felt like despite the illness creating a clear rift in their ability to communicate and interact with one another, I felt that myself in Henry's shoes would've still come to appreciate the story he was able to share with his wife, and that the firewatch assignment was really just him being able to take the same type of self-serving break that he maybe already had the privileges to experience on a regular basis even before Julia was ill. I was passive about her career far away -- again, space for both of them -- I was as passive as possible about her late return home drunk one night -- space -- etc... Firewatch assignment was just the same space Henry would've always had, and he took it under the notion that Julia would've granted him that space anyway, and it was always his intention to return by her side.

So yeah, wasn't too frustrated with Delilah at the end. My immediate response when she suggested that she was going to leave as I was making my way to her tower was "go." The thought in the back of my head was "I'm grateful for this time we shared together as friends, I'm sorry you had to learn this tragedy, I wish you well." And when she was like "Go back to Julia," I was like, "that was the plan all along, thanks."

So yeah, good game. I didn't feel hollow, empty, or let down by the ending or anything at all... I just didn't perhaps feel like "best ending ever because it's so flat and normal despite the romantic tension."

AZ Greg

Just finished this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it.

I might be reading too much into it, but I think there are some intended parallels between Henry taking the job in order to escape reality and gamers who play games to escape reality. And if you're this type of gamer then you'll probably leave disappointed with the experience just like Henry probably left disappointed with his.

I think this supports the mixed reactions regarding the ending and how everything comes together. If you play games to escape reality then the "mundane" ending is a disappointment to you. You expect something more, something exciting or otherworldly. Just as Henry expects something more exciting to explain the events that have been happening or how he wants to meet D and maybe take their unique relationship to another level.

Whereas if games are just another form of entertainment, in an otherwise normal life, then you don't need it to be anything more than it is; a simply unique experience while it lasts. And once finished, you return to reality. Which is exactly what this type of job is supposed to be.

At the end of the day, both Henry and the gamer must return to reality. Satisfaction is only had if the experience can be accepted for what it was.

Just finished this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it.

I might be reading too much into it, but I think there are some intended parallels between Henry taking the job in order to escape reality and gamers who play games to escape reality. And if you're this type of gamer then you'll probably leave disappointed with the experience just like Henry probably left disappointed with his.

I think this supports the mixed reactions regarding the ending and how everything comes together. If you play games to escape reality then the "mundane" ending is a disappointment to you. You expect something more, something exciting or otherworldly. Just as Henry expects something more exciting to explain the events that have been happening or how he wants to meet D and maybe take their unique relationship to another level.

Whereas if games are just another form of entertainment, in an otherwise normal life, then you don't need it to be anything more than it is; a simply unique experience while it lasts. And once finished, you return to reality. Which is exactly what this type of job is supposed to be.

At the end of the day, both Henry and the gamer must return to reality. Satisfaction is only had if the experience can be accepted for what it was.

Don't necessarily agree. I don't play games and get disappointed every time they end. Actually, I find myself ecstatic when it concludes well. Using gaming as escapism is no different than any other forms of media (movies, books, music, etc) I don't think anyone wants these to go on forever unless there is some deep-rooted psychological social anxiety/ issue / state of denial inherent in the person.

I think the goal with any entertainment media is to give you a worthwhile and wholesome experience with the time it has to offer.

For me, Overwatch was not a very good game imo. It tries too hard to revel in itself and winds up going nowhere. But people take different meanings from different things.

heringer

Just finished in two sittings.

It's hard to put down and the story is engrossing, but the reveal and ending were incredibly underwhelming. Very unfulfilling. As soon as the credits started rolling all I could think was "well, that was pointless". I also don't buy Delilah's rejection. It felt forced.

I get what they were going for with this, but it didn't landed with me. Disappointing.

diablogod

It's hard to put down and the story is engrossing, but the reveal and ending were incredibly underwhelming. Very unfulfilling. As soon as the credits started rolling all I could think was "well, that was pointless". I also don't buy Delilah's rejection. It felt forced.

I get what they were going for with this, but it didn't landed with me. Disappointing.

While I agree they didn't really stick that landing, the journey to the end was pretty amazing for me.

Blizzard

Banned

I didn't enjoy the ending much. However:

I personally feel the fact that it WAS disappointing to so many people actually shows they accomplished what they set out to do (even if people would prefer they hadn't done that).

The relationship was always a bit of a sham, Delilah was running away from everything, so was Henry, they tried to work through their problems etc. People WANT it to be a fantasy world where that works out perfectly and you end up meeting a hot lady firewoman, but that's not how life always works. Feeling annoyance and disappointment probably means you identify with Henry in some fashion, and/or the game produced emotions -- something many games may set out to do but fail.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Has some flaws and I finished it in under just 4 hours but I loved every second of it. Might replay it at some point. Really can't wait to see what the studio does next.

AzaK

Got my first PC in 10 years on Friday. Downloaded Firewatch on Saturday. Finished on Sunday. PC purchase totally justified in this one game.

Honestly I have not felt this way about a game in years. The execution was almost flawless (Albeit a couple of niggly bits), setting was lovely and the story and relationship(s) were just wonderful every step of the way.

I think this goes in my top 10.

Top Bottom