• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware Version 2.00 - Official Press Release

Ranger X

CAN'T I HAVE ACCESS TO MY MESSAGES SONY?

The only thing that's really missing and really important. SPEED UP SONY.

Well at least is official at last ¬¬

I'm more interested in the backend part of this update than in the frontend itself. I'm sure that this update contains lots of enhancements to ciment the functional changes to come in the future.

Remember that sony likes to make minor changes every month. Maybe they couldn't make all the requested changes with the previous base, and surely this update is more like a "stealth" massive upgrade.

belvedere

Junior Butler
EGM92 said:
I don't really give a fuck about having the FULL XMB in game, just do it like the 360 Sony, do a mini bar with a bunch of options, you've ripped them before this shouldn't be a problem.

For serial! Xbox inventored gamzinG!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God damn you Sony
YIcTASlPo.gif

methane47

consul just pm'd me the Version 3.0 update list

Code:
- Ingame XMB
- cross-game invites
- free money
- achievements
- HOME
- extra virtual HDMI port
- RSS feeds

sounds like its going to be amazing

EGM92 said:
Anyone feel like mocking up a couple of concepts for an in-game XMB so Sony could get off their clueless asses and get to work on what it should look like and what features it should have?

They already said they are working on it. Someone from Sony posted in the Official US Blog a few months ago saying they are working on it.

Bad_Boy said:
themes = nice
remote start = nice
music + picture playlists = very nice
playstation news = ok i guess
in-game sountracks = where?
in-game messenger = where?
clock/time/date when pressing ps button = where?

good, but not spectacular imo. hopefully there is a bunch of stuff unknown that we will only find out when the firmware is released. aka sony sneak updates.

I think they mean, share with the people who are watching you use your ps3.

http://n4g.com/ps3/News-81014.aspx

If you are a GAP member I would advise you to vote :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Vaandaviii said:
Remember that sony likes to make minor changes every month. Maybe they couldn't make all the requested changes with the previous base, and surely this update is more like a "stealth" massive upgrade.
Yeah exactly. I have a feeling their might be some stealth stuff, or minor stuff not worth mentioning in a press release. Sony does enjoy doing that a lot, well at least early in the ps3 firmware updates they did.

AmericanNinja said:
http://n4g.com/ps3/News-81014.aspx

If you are a GAP member I would advise you to vote :)
Thanks. I am, and I will. :)

EGM92 said:
Anyone feel like mocking up a couple of concepts for an in-game XMB so Sony could get off their clueless asses and get to work on what it should look like and what features it should have?
The G.A.P. poll and even Eric Lempel mentioning that he's heard everyone wants in-game XMB proves Sony knows people want it. They will implement it when they come to a solution, that's all.

Thrakier

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Well, nothing here I care about.

Sony, PLEASE, I'm begging you, let me create folders for my games, movies, and music. My lists are so large and unwieldy now.

But you've never done this on the PSP, so I don't see why you'd do it on the PS3. I hate you guys.

(I take it back if it's somehow in this update)

I think this works for games now!?

methane47 said:
consul just pm'd me the Version 3.0 update list

Code:
- Ingame XMB
- cross-game invites
- free money
- achievements
- HOME
- extra virtual HDMI port
- RSS feeds

sounds like its going to be amazing
I think you missed the dual 1080p 120 fps output off that list.

:lol

Ragnarok10

I have no idea why people associate no in-game XMB with a clueless and lazy Sony. Misinformed and ignorance I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how good is the remote play? I don't have a PSP anymore after bricking my last one, but if in theory I could switch on my PS3, access the PSN store to start downloading demos + trailers etc, and stream to my PSP over the internet, it might be worth buying a slim+light

(they're still upgradeable to custom firmware right?)

I almost feel sorry for Sony. Why is 2.0 a major update? if they were doing lots of small updates then eventually they run into 2.0 by default. They can't help it if we have high expectations of integers.

sprocket

Banned
CitizenCope said:
So can someone explain to me how you send invites to friends on the PS3?
I have to wait until after the holidays to pick up a PS3 but I just might wait until they implement in game XMB. As a 90% MP gamer these things are important.
Is it that much of a bitch to get a bunch of friends in a game?

you have to tell everyone the name of the game you set up while in the XMB then go to the game. it really sucks.

The funny thing is you can get alerts in game that someone has msg you. But you have ot quit the game to read the msg! :lol

gcubed

TTP said:
Odd they dont mention the DualShock 3 support as well.

i am assuming that is one of the stealth updates, since it was in 1.94 that was never released it HAS to be in 2.00. I am sure the world will find plenty of new little things. And i would hope they improved the memory footprint of the OS and its associated features again. These things we usually get after the firmware is out

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AmericanNinja said:
That was added in v.1.94 it came with Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction. :D

I know it was added. They just dont mention it here (for those that didn't buy Ratchet).

pswii60

Is that... it?

I was expecting some big changes for the leap to 2.00. If they still have big changes in development (in-game XMB etc), then perhaps they should have called this 1.98 or something and waited a little longer for the big 2.00.

Still, will be nice to customise the XMB, so it's not all bad.

SS4Rob

Dammit I could use this RIGHT NOW since I want to stream media on my PS3 at home and the sh1t is off because of the wattage it sucks outta my cottage! Blargh! Why can't tomorrow be today??

Edit: Wait, thats it? Uh..

Thrakier said:
I think this works for games now!?

No, it doesn't. You can rearrange the list, that's all. It's still as long and unwieldy as ever. But I'm more concerned with the video bar anyway. I'd love to be able to sort into games, movie trailers, etc.

BTW, Sony. Your store needs a serious overhaul. I thought that was coming soon?

sprocket

Banned
pswii60 said:
Is that... it?

I was expecting some big changes for the leap to 2.00. If they still have big changes in development (in-game XMB etc), then perhaps they should have called this 1.98 or something and waited a little longer for the big 2.00.

Still, will be nice to customise the XMB, so it's not all bad.

I think 2.0 was meant for HOME release. Since Home was delayed there isn't much left.

I imagine they are not speaking of DS3 support because it wont be out until next year here in the states.

mollipen

Updates to Music and Photos... but could we PLEASE get some freakin' folders for the freakin' Video menu? Seriously, it's ridiculous.

f@luS

More than a member.
Hey guys . Will i lose my "rumble" ?

Just to say, the PR doesnt talk about it at all , and since im @ 1.94( thx ratchet) i hope i will not lose this feature.

Ok they just forgot it at 99% , but still :D

reminder

pswii60 said:
Is that... it?

I was expecting some big changes for the leap to 2.00.

That's the problem. You guys always expect way too much before a new Firmware hits the PS3. It's no wonder that you all are going to be disappointed.

I expected nothing at all and that's why i'm not disappointed with FW 2.0. :)

Steroyd

TTP said:
Looks like I'm the only one intrigued by the Information Board...

I R gaf I R not read. >:|

A host of other enhancements includes the addition of an Information Board on XMB to keep people up to date on the latest PlayStation® news, the inclusion of a new PLAYSTATION Network category and logo for easier navigation and Trend Micro Web Security, a free2, state of the art internet security system, designed to give parents peace of mind.

Hey is that like that Nippo Ishi cat thingy in the Japaneese store... about damn time Sony. :mad:

Ragnarok10 said:
I have no idea why people associate no in-game XMB with a clueless and lazy Sony. Misinformed and ignorance I guess.
I agree.

mrklaw said:
I almost feel sorry for Sony. Why is 2.0 a major update? if they were doing lots of small updates then eventually they run into 2.0 by default. They can't help it if we have high expectations of integers.
I think that's pretty much the reason. If a few things are being added, then that's a 0.1 increment update, while fixes are a 0.01 increment update. I think we'll see PS3 firmware continuing to go up by 0.1 where 3.0 may not be the end of all firmwares (it may be smaller than 2.4, as an example).

My overall thinking is, although update 1.8 was big, I think worldwide remote play, accessing media, and copying saves back to a memory card were the only scheduled updates for 1.8. From what I remember, there was a team in Japan working on PS1/PS2/DVD upscaling for a long time, and it would be ready when it was ready (meaning it could come in update 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, etc., but just happened to be ready in time for 1.8).

Ragnarok10

f@luS said:
Hey guys . Will i lose my "rumble" ?

Just to say, the PR doesnt talk about it at all , and since im @ 1.94( thx ratchet) i hope i will not lose this feature.

Ok they just forgot it at 99% , but still :D
Each successive FW includes all the FW's before it. So no, you won't lose rumble.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS3 on/off through remote play is really good for anyone going on vacation (or just at work) wanting to keep up with media and downloading PS store stuff. I guess that arc is not truly complete, and all we need now is some more PSP compatible games for PS3. Lair alone is not going to do it :mad:

I hope this includes the stealth 1.1 BD update, just like all of their stealth BD updates so far.

Custom themes are realy nice on PSP, I can't wait to see what comes out for PS3 now - some of the user made themes on PSP are really crazy good.

Mrbob

shidoshi said:
Updates to Music and Photos... but could we PLEASE get some freakin' folders for the freakin' Video menu? Seriously, it's ridiculous.

Folders for all menus would be nice.

Xisiqomelir

Personally, I think BD 1.1 is much more important than cross-game invites. As someone said yesterday: "Buy a phone"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Steroyd said:
B-b-but Gaf promised me in-game XMB access. :p

CoD4 accesses your XMB friends list.

Maybe we'll never get 'XMB ingame'? Maybe we'll just have games having access to XMB elements and presenting them in a game context. So access to XMB friends list, alerting you to messages that come in etc.

Xisiqomelir said:
Personally, I think BD 1.1 is much more important than cross-game invites. As someone said yesterday: "Buy a phone"
I have a feeling it will be a stealth update, but I could be wrong.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gattsu25 said:
How many decimals did it go up?
.07 - not even a tenth, but naturally that won't get factored into responses any more than reading the OP fully usually does in most threads.

Top Bottom