• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware Version 2.00 - Official Press Release

belvedere

Junior Butler
Personally, I love the theme option. It's nice to have a sleek, clean and elegant dashboard than some clunky, cartoony mess.

Pimpwerx

Wake-on-LAN and custom themes. Sounds about right. I hope the playlist creation is seamless. Also, PSN gets its own icon. I hope that means I don't need to flip through a ton of menus just to get the latest demos and DLC. I hope the submenu items are "games" "video", etc... Hell, give us something like an RSS feed so we get pop-ups when a new game is available online. Not bad. In-game XMB is what everyone wants, so no one will be happy until then. But for PSP owners, this one will be nice. PEACE.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
New images look really nice. I really love how classy XMB looks :)

Not sure if I'm a fan of the new PSN store icon. Why wasn't that kept under Network? What is it that makes it so different and special?

Odrion said:
I thought the PSP could play MP3s from the PS3 before this update.
It could, but you couldn't turn the PS3 on/off remotely.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That Information Board is almost guaranteed to be using RSS behind the scenes...bring RSS Channels to PS3, Sony.

tribal24 said:
anyone notice on the news bar in one of the pictures it headlines "communication with" with a freinds icon right next to it>.> i feel that theres something more

i think it might be like that ticker tape thing at the bottom of CNN. it probably there so you dont have to go to that icon unless you see a story that interests you.

i wonder since it is connect to psn.ign.com if you will be able to leave comments on stories. it would have been better if they would have also connect the inforamtion board to the US blog or threespeach for europe

tribal24

Banned
the new blog post says "We’ve added several other features in this update. I’ll soon be back with more details with a quick video demo of some of the new features." i hope the several other features are sigh lol a person can dream

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Oni Jazar said:
Boooo-urns. Get back to work Sony!

*Xross game invites
*DTS-HD decoding
*Blu-ray Profile 1.1 (2.0)
*In game sountrack

In that order STAT.
I haven't been keeping up with the PS3 firmware, but if you can't do background downloading of PS Store items, that needs to be prioritized, too.

MadFuzzy

TTP said:
I'm even more intrigued by the Information Board.

If it offers you the chance to customise the feeds, that could be quite a good feature (which may be possible since the XMB icon for it is derived from the standard "RSS feed" one).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
kaching said:
You do realize that not everyone does versioning increments the same way, right? What you describe is one way. Some organizations do it differently, simply incrementing a standard decimal value sequentially. This is the way Sony has done it with the PSP and PS3 so far, at least in public.
no, no versioning works on a decimal system. the fact that they end their previous major revisions in a way that looks like they are using decimal numbering is irrelevant. The decimal represents a demarcation between version designations (major, minor, patch, etc). That doesn't change. Going from 1.98 to 1.99 is not the same as going from 1.99 to 2.00 in any versioning scheme I've ever worked with or seen. If that IS the way Sony does it (which is highly doubtful) that would be fucking beyond retarded and would make the decimal pointless. why not just do a hexadecimal or straight sequential versioning system at that point? the fact that they use a decimal implies that they are doing a major/minor versioning system.

Nightz

twinturbo2 said:
I haven't been keeping up with the PS3 firmware, but if you can't do background downloading of PS Store items, that needs to be prioritized, too.
That's been out for a while, my friend.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
wait a second. The BG is different from the other pic. Is that animated? O_O
Oh holy shit - could they really be having a new code that replaces the silky ribbon with the marker pen drawing algorithm?

ThePeter

All you disappointed people set yourself up for this ala the impossible Nintendo revolution.
This is a seriously great update. 8.8 great. :D

Anyway if you've tried remote play you know how amazing it is and it simply blows people away. i love it.

IIIINNNGGAAMMEEE FRIENDS LIST PLZZZZZZZZ!!!!

womfalcs3

Banned
I told a few people about remote play recently... they were all amazed by it and as a result, bought a PS3 themselves. Sony should market this feature.

belvedere

Junior Butler
BeeDog said:
What is this G.A.P. poll everyone's talking about?

This one.

Choose which XMB™
(Cross Media Bar) feature
would be most important
to you in a possible PLAYSTATION®Network update:

1. In-game access to PSN messaging 45% (615 votes)

2. Ability to play my own music from the XMB while in-game 51% (704 votes)

3. Larger buddy list and buddy-list features such as categorizing 4% (57 votes)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So is that information board just for the XMB...or will it overlay on top of games too?

That'd be pretty sweet.

tribal24

Banned
chubigans said:
So is that information board just for the XMB...or will it overlay on top of games too?

That'd be pretty sweet.

overlay on top of games lmao!?!? they cant even get ingame messaging and you want it to overlay in games lol

antiloop

borghe said:
no, no versioning works on a decimal system. the fact that they end their previous major revisions in a way that looks like they are using decimal numbering is irrelevant. The decimal represents a demarcation between version designations (major, minor, patch, etc). That doesn't change. Going from 1.98 to 1.99 is not the same as going from 1.99 to 2.00 in any versioning scheme I've ever worked with or seen. If that IS the way Sony does it (which is highly doubtful) that would be fucking beyond retarded and would make the decimal pointless. why not just do a hexadecimal or straight sequential versioning system at that point? the fact that they use a decimal implies that they are doing a major/minor versioning system.

Maybe it's a major upgrade behind what we can see. How would we know? Maybe a major upgrade for devs as well which we will never know either.

Anyway, themes look really nice. I have always been really fond of the XMB because how sleek it is and now it will look even nicer.

DrXym

tanod said:
I like the logo.

About the version numbers:
I would guess that a 2.0 designation has a lot more to do with the underlying tech of the XMB getting updated rather than adding a lot of new features, especially considering it's only a .06 update. It should be really interesting to see how the SDK can change after consumers have 2.0.

People just have to remember that all the .01 updates have generally been bug fixes and any notable feature added has been signified by a .1 update.

I wouldn't think of it as a 0.06 update. This is a major revision even if it isn't immediately obvious. I do expect there is a lot more under the surface than we've been lead to believe and I expect a lot of that plumbing will be made use of in subsequent updates.

It's entirely possible that the internal changes have been so substantial that they've held off on feature work to thoroughly regression test what has gone into 2.0. Sony may let 2.0 bake, reel off a few patch releases and then start merging major branches of functionality into point releases. Changes to 2.0 could have been made to footprint, speed, the manner in which the display is rendered and major subsystems such as music, messaging etc. This is what makes me think we'll see a flow of major enhancements in the next few months, culminating with Home turning on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
tribal24 said:
overlay on top of games lmao!?!? they cant even get ingame messaging and you want it to overlay in games lol

Stuff already overlays on games (friend invites, finished downloads, etc.) so it's not out of the question. :)

It's not going to happen guys, XMB just uses far too much ram.

innerbits.com has several posts regarding the subject. Probaby get a scaled back version with friends and messaging.

Visualante said:

innerbits.com has several posts regarding the subject.

It can always be optimized to use less ram... And that Japanese downloadable "game" already has ingame XMB.

Anyway, this firmware update is a bit... disappointing :( I mean, for a 2.0 point of view. Features are still awesome and welcome.

tanod

when is my burrito
Visualante said:
Probaby get a scaled back version with friends and messaging.

That's all that anybody is asking for though.

I'm going to be lurking at the blog waiting for that demo video to go up. :D

DrXym

Visualante said:

innerbits.com has several posts regarding the subject. Probaby get a scaled back version with friends and messaging.

Correction the system reserves RAM, it doesn't mean it uses it or needs it all. It just makes sense that at the start of a console's life that you give yourself enough space to think about future enhancements. It also means they can free up memory as time progresses as they get a more realistic idea of what they actually need and optimise how they use it. Memory is already dropping and I expect it'll drop further over time.

tanod

when is my burrito
PS Blog said:
We will be providing themes on PlayStation.com and through the PLAYSTATION Store. Once you have downloaded a theme, under Settings go to Theme Settings, select Theme and then choose a theme to display or install a new theme. We are also providing the ability for you to get creative and make your own original themes.

:D

twinturbo2 said:

You CAN download the items in the background, but with games and demos you can't INSTALL them, which can take anywhere from 15 sec. to 10 minutes in which your PS3 is "stuck" and can't be used. I personally find this annoying but it doesn't seem to bother anyone else.

Furthermore, If I queue up several movie trailers to DL and go play a PS3 game, my "Download complete" notifications don't appear until after I quit back to the XMB, when they appear all at once. If I go to the movies section of the XMB to look at these downloads, the icons are all mixed up with my pre-existing ones, and when I try to play one of the new ones the PS3 usually freezes hard and I have to reboot it. After the reboot everything is fine, and if I don't play any PS3 games during the downloads everything's fine. I don't know if this is a problem for everyone or just me.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
tanod said:
you bolded the wrong part.

We will be providing themes on PlayStation.com and through the PLAYSTATION Store. Once you have downloaded a theme, under Settings go to Theme Settings, select Theme and then choose a theme to display or install a new theme. We are also providing the ability for you to get creative and make your own original themes.
:D there you go.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I love my PSP but have never really seen a good reason why I should hook it up to my PS3.

It seems a lot of folks here are raving about the wake-on-LAN and remote power-on via PSP update with 2.0.

What's so useful or good about this feature? Is there something I'm missing or is it literally just that you can turn on your PS3 via your PSP? Why would you need to do that?

Top Bottom