• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First direct feed screenshots of Dragon Quest 7 3DS

You act like the 3DS' power is the reason this doesn't look better. A DQ8 would probably look exactly the same, just take advantage of the widescreen
No, she is saying a different studio is making this, so it can't look like DQVIII (besides the fact that it is also a remake of a humongous game). It instead looks more like DQVr for PS2 (which was also done by the same studio making this game), which realistically is what most DQ fans expected anyway.

Rpgmonkey

Good enough for me.

Hopefully it comes over to the West. I'd love a long RPG to get lost in for a while, especially if it's a Dragon Quest game, but the cost of importing a 3DS and the game would be quite a barrier...

kitzkozan

I like the fact that enemies are now visible on the world map or in dungeons like in DQ IX and X. Should speed up the game somewhat since you will be able to skip numerous battle with weak enemies as you level up. I'm sure they won't cut any content, but the fact that we will be able to dodge many pointless fight will counterbalance that factor.

I'm guessing a remake of Dragonquest VIII would aim to preserve the look of the game and the same scale + enemies visible on the map. Not sure Arte Piazza could pull it off on the 3DS (surely Level 5 could remake their own game?).

Aeana

Why couldn't they make it look like DQ8? This is just laziness. I guess it is only a remake but still...

You act like the 3DS' power is the reason this doesn't look better. A DQ8 would probably look exactly the same, just take advantage of the widescreen

The line you quoted was about a DQ8 remake. The Vita could, in theory, have a version of DQ8 that looks the same as it does on PS2 - plus or minus some aspects. But that's not what I want from a remake of DQ8.

The reason why THIS doesn't look better is because it isn't developed by Level-5. Arte Piazza does not have the same kind of talent that Level-5 does. It's not laziness or anything of the sort, it's developers in two entirely different tiers being compared as equals for some reason.

Actually, DQM was first, but yeah, true. I meant more based on GAF posters I guess, DQ8 comes up all the time, I think almost all JRPG fans played it at least a little, where as I see far fewer 7 comments, even in threads about PS1 JRPGs. Purely anecdotal I know.

IIRC, DQVIII did have a marketing push (and the FFXII demo), whereas VII came out very late in the PS1's life and probably quickly went out of print. So I can definitely see how VIII is by far more famous.

At any rate, count me in the camp that hopes they tighten up the game a bit, especially the job system.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't really care how it looks, a excuse to play DQVII again with a streamlined shard system and new graphics is good enough for me!

Although I actually still need to finish DQVII on PSX.:p in the middle of disk 2.

Bebpo

Banned
The reason why THIS doesn't look better is because it isn't developed by Level-5. Arte Piazza does not have the same kind of talent that Level-5 does. It's not laziness or anything of the sort, it's developers in two entirely different tiers being compared as equals for some reason.

Yeah, Arte Piazza has the good kind of talent :p

Aeana

Yeah, Arte Piazza has the good kind of talent :p

I dunno. Level-5's strength has always been tech and graphics stuff. Arte Piazza has done some really nice-looking stuff too, but it's in a lower scale than Level-5. I personally loved the way DQ5 PS2 looked, and their work with the sprite animations in DQ6, 7 and 4-6 DS though. And I think this looks fairly good, too, and I'm confident it'll be even better in motion, because Arte Piazza is great at animation.

Peff

I dunno. Level-5's strength has always been tech and graphics stuff. Arte Piazza has done some really nice-looking stuff too, but it's in a lower scale than Level-5. I personally loved the way DQ5 PS2 looked, and their work with the sprite animations in DQ6, 7 and 4-6 DS though. And I think this looks fairly good, too, and I'm confident it'll be even better in motion, because Arte Piazza is great at animation.

Even if Level-5 were developing this I'm not sure it'd look like people want considering the sheer size of the game, to be honest. There's only so much budget a remake can get after all. I dunno, depending on how it looks in motion this is more than enough for me, and the fact that's it's still a pretty big upgrade is also a great thing for its localization chances.

friz898

For anybody not impressed I can only ask what in the world were you guys expecting?

This is Dragon Quest folks!

It looks amazingly sharp, colorful, and crisp compared to the PSX version. Also, no lading times, and DQ7 is the perfect "fast-battles when you wanna grind for 30mins and then turn it off" portable game.

Soooooo hyped. Just no loading times alone is worth the upgrade from a psx version to a 3ds version.

Now if only they could have put the monsters on the map like DQ 9.

DAY FRICKEN 1, HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE.

One of the very few games that validates my 3DS purchase on launch day (for my tastes, I'm a Vita fan at heart).

Edit: Oh! I didnt notice that it does have visible monsters aka DQ9 at first, I only had a minute to glance at the pics before I rush off to work. That's going to be worth every penny. This is a system seller to me, this is the kind of game I would buy a system just to play it. After recently going back and finishing DQ8, I've now played every single one. (Although waiting on remakes to finish Dragon Quest 3). I havent played DQ7 since it's really weird and really late North America PSX launch.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If this doesn't include an instruction manual with a back cover advertising a doomed DQIVr localization... no sale.

This remake appears to feature a DQVIII-style overworld field, complete with visible monsters.

Aeana

For anybody not impressed I can only ask what in the world were you guys expecting?

This is Dragon Quest folks!

It looks amazingly sharp, colorful, and crisp compared to the PSX version. Also, no lading times, and DQ7 is the perfect "fast-battles when you wanna grind for 30mins and then turn it off" portable game.

Soooooo hyped. Just no loading times alone is worth the upgrade from a psx version to a 3ds version.

DAY FRICKEN 1, HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE.

One of the very few games that validates my 3DS purchase on launch day (for my tastes, I'm a Vita fan at heart).

009.jpg

Red UFO

As somebody who enjoyed the core of DQ7 but had to stop playing because of its archaic shell, this is great. Hope it comes out in the UK.

I really REALLY need this to come to EU, since we NEVER even got a chance to play this game at ALL so basically this will be our first and probably last crack at it!

Come on Squeenix or Nintendo, don't let us down!!

Obviously i could import either a JP or a US system but i can't justify that so.. :(

Let's be optimistic for now, 4-5-6-8-9 have made it over here so it can happen!

Zornica

Banned
Somehow the screenshot quality is all over the place

there are a few that look way better and others look kinda bad
for example:
good
5jBce.jpg
vOesd.jpg

bad
WccwO.jpg
Zq9Ou.jpg

I guess the game gets uglier the further the camera zooms out?

anyway, can't wait for it to be released here
in 2015

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DQ VII isn't padded at all. It's like Xenoblade in that it's just a big meaty game.

I think it could have gotten started a bit earlier and introduced the job system sooner but even with that I'd just rearrange things and not cut anything.

Aeana

DQ VII isn't padded at all. It's like Xenoblade in that it's just a big meaty game.

I think it could have gotten started a bit earlier and introduced the job system sooner but even with that I'd just rearrange things and not cut anything.
Xenoblade is padded, though. Unless you're going to tell me that those sidequests are all meaningful. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Xenoblade is padded, though. Unless you're going to tell me that those sidequests are all meaningful. :)

Xenoblade is also still a 65-70 hour game without doing a single sidequest.

Hell a max level, best equipment in the game, skipping cutscenes, only advancing the storyline run took me near 40!

Aeana

I haven't played dq7, but are these padded materials skippable or completely optional like xenoblade side quests?

Well, calling Xenoblade's sidequests "sidequests" is slightly misleading, because the game is designed with the expectation that you will do a certain amount of them. Going through the game going from point to point without doing any sidequests at all will leave you dramatically underleveled.

Anyway, DQ7's optional content is small. And who knows if they'll be present here in this remake.

Ugh, I think the original 2D characters look way better. They are so lowpoly the screen resolution is so bad that sprites look better.

3D in battles look pretty good.

I'm not really getting the comments that say that this looks good.

It still has that DQ charm, but I'd take the DS or SFAM games over this in a heartbeat, it just looks so rough and unpolished.

Aeana

Xenoblade is also still a 65-70 hour game without doing a single sidequest.

Hell a max level, best equipment in the game, skipping cutscenes, only advancing the storyline run took me near 40!

Hmm...

KDeP5.jpg

That was my first play all the way to the end. I think I did about half of the sidequests in the game, thereabouts. Maybe a bit less.

Well, calling Xenoblade's sidequests "sidequests" is slightly misleading, because the game is designed with the expectation that you will do a certain amount of them. Going through the game going from point to point without doing any sidequests at all will leave you dramatically underleveled.

Anyway, DQ7's optional content is small. And who knows if they'll be present here in this remake.

Famitsu's article makes it sound like the Streetpass feature is gonna function not unlike the Grottoes of DQ9. So, if nothing else, DQ7 3DS will probably have tons of random generated dungeons to explore.

Aeana

Famitsu's article makes it sound like the Streetpass feature is gonna function not unlike the Grottoes of DQ9. So, if nothing else, DQ7 3DS will probably have tons of random generated dungeons to explore.

That's right, and one of those random dungeons is shown above (the blue cubey shot). I was just wondering if they were gonna remove the monster park/immigrant town stuff.

Also, if anybody is interested, there's shots without the crappy JPG compression artifacts here: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121115_571151.html?ref=rss

I am pretty excited, VII is the Dragon Quest's that got away. I almost bought a copy of DQVII back when it first came out, had second thoughts, passed on it for a day, came back and it was gone. Almost bought it a couple of times over the years but the timing was never right.

Lothar

Banned
Looks worse than the original.

Which I'm glad because I really didn't want to be tempted to play through that 120 hour game again. It was a good game but was far too long.

Apenheul

My reaction right now is "hmm that looks okay" but I'm sure that video footage is going to hype me like there's no tomorrow. Next to DQ III it's the one game I hoped to receive a remake.

Johnas

Chunky-looking game gets a chunky-looking remake.

Eh, I'm okay with it. I honestly was expecting it to look a little better, but it does look like an ambitious remake with the new engine, perspectives, and all.

Gabo riding a wolf? Hmmm.

Looking good, if this gets released on the west I'll probably buy it. Last time I checked the USA PS1 version was expensive as hell

Bleep

I'm not sure how I feel about this remake. I'm not opposed to graphical changes, but I am really disliking how zoomed in a lot of the screenshots are. I can't play games that are too zoomed in or have a narrow FOV because they can make me feel uncomfortable or ill.

The original game is much further zoomed out and gives you much more visual information about your surroundings.

capturepfpi9.png
dq71w1p4i.png

I really hope you can control the level of zoom. The point of view in this screenshot would be much better for gameplay purposes and not making me feel like I need to vomit.

cuKiU.jpg

Top Bottom