• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

geordiemp

Looks better on a the Pro for sure, but I don't think it's that huge of a difference personally. Feel like if i showed this to some friends, it wouldn't convince them all that much yet.

With that being said, still looking forward to picking up a Pro once I can get it bundled with a game.

Once Ps4 achieved 1080p in most games...... then supersampling or 4K for people playing in living rooms (on typical 50 inch TV's from 8-10 feet) then the differences from now on are always going to be for people that appreciate the quality.

Thats great, as OG ps4 owners also get good games.

Angel_DvA

Here's another comparison showing the notable difference in iq. Skyrim is super sharp on pro.

PS4 Pro native 4k downscaled to 1080p.
data.images.event.221hgzcs.png

PS4 Standard 1080p capture
skyrim_20161030213726tqbb6.png

Everything just looks more vibrant.

u30pMLp.png

geordiemp

I'm not sure I'd notice the difference while in actual motion like it will be seen. Then again, I'm looking from my phone.

Thats why there is also a Ps4 slim, not everybody needs super IQ for a living room, we are not sitting in front of monitors..

For me, the IQ and more stable frame rates / less dips and hopefully quiet means day 1.

So you don't notice things like aliasing and shimmering in games?
I do, but not as must as others(can't really see shimmering in a screen shot). I notice things like screen tearing, framedrops, and animation issues. I'll look at the screens on my work PC tomorrow and see if I can tell more of a difference. As I said, I'm viewing on mobile.

Thats why there is also a Ps4 slim, not everybody needs super IQ for a living room, we are not sitting in front of monitors..

For me, the IQ and more stable frame rates / less dips and hopefully quiet means day 1.
I'm much more interested in the higher framerate and performance. Ps4 slim does nothing for me. I was actually stating in another thread how I wasn't interested in a Pro, but nearly every game I want for the system has a 1080p/performance boost, right down the next game I plan on buying which is The Witness lol

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm not sure I'd notice the difference while in actual motion like it will be seen. Then again, I'm looking from my phone.

Im looking from my phone too and it looks sharper but barley noticeable.
Disappointing given the price of the console. Hopefully future games have a more significant improvement.

leng jai

Of course the difference will be minuscule when you're looking at the shots from a phone. Even Wii U screenshots look super sharp on a 5 inch screen.

Bullshot IQ arrives on consoles. (native resolution is unknown on PS4 pro version)

1080p screen owners rejoice!!!!

Thanks to kubinsky for the early screenshots. (lucky bugger)

Wow, PS4 Pro screens from TF2 makes OG PS4 version look like an XBOX One game - if you look at it on your smartphone.

ToVenusAndBack_

Neo Member
So I bought a 4K tv last year but unfortunately it doesn't have HDR capabilities. Am I still going to benefit from the 4K or will I be missing out because it doesn't have HDR?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Great up close but that's confirmed to me I wouldn't notice the difference at my normal seating distance from the TV.

DieH@rd

Banned
This for a 399€ upgrade?

No thanks...

Upgrade... from $0€? Sure.

For someone buying a new PS4 right now the choice is almost completely clear. Pro offers much for little additional money.

$300€ PS4 Slim 500GB
$350€ PS4 Slim 1TB
$400€ PS4 Pro 1TB

I just looked at the images in the op via ps4 and it's not that far off from what I viewed on my phone. The pro version looks objectively better, but I'm still wondering how different I'd feel in seeing it in motion and during actual gameplay experiences. It is a bit more clean, though, as far as stills go.

Are these(op images) really a good indicator as to how this would look in person?

DrXym

The difference is so slight that I wonder why anyone cares. It'd be better if the extra power went into boosting the framerate, something that would be noticeable.

They look pretty blurry at full resolution. Apparently they're just upscaling from 1440p according to one source, and it looks it.

I was being relative. The game already looks spectacular on PS4 in my opinion. I think the game looks even better now. Not as good as 4k sure, but given how good U4 looks already, it is not one of the games I am particularly bothered about updating. I am actually more curious about Last of US, since it does have a native 4k version.

geordiemp

The difference is so slight that I wonder why anyone cares. It'd be better if the extra power went into boosting the framerate, something that would be noticeable.

The frame rate will be more consistent is what I am getting out of impressions I read.

But I cant see Neo or scorpio brute forcing 60 FPS and high IQ / 4K on a game like say Witcher or Bloodborne until we get consoles with a Zen / I5 level CPU.

Maybe by the time we get Ps5 / scorpio 2.

For games like Battlefield 1 Pro will help IQ and achieving that 60 FPS.

kikonawa

Its quite clear for some the og ps4 holds itself. Its the same why some people buy the latest videocard on pc and some others dont see a differnece when playing on medium to low on certain games.

Hwoar

I really don't get the 'slight' difference people. Of course you can't see it on a phone but if you look at them full-size on pc it's a big difference. If this difference/ those pics are representative of the difference on a (1080) tv then ps4 pro people should be really happy.

UrbanRats

The "1080p" shots in the OP are comically blurry, doesn't look like 1080p at all.
Other comparisons in the thread look more realistic, and in line with what you experience with down-sampling on PC.

Latimer

Banned
Great up close but that's confirmed to me I wouldn't notice the difference at my normal seating distance from the TV.

Good point actually.

PC games always needed better IQ as you sat very close to a screen, with console and even some PC's now you won't notice it as much sitting further back. But it's still great to have.

The "1080p" shots in the OP are comically blurry, doesn't look like 1080p at all.
Other comparisons in the thread look more realistic, and in line with what you experience with down-sampling on PC.

That's because TF2 isn't 1080p on PS4.

UrbanRats

"What" what? I'm saying the "1080p" shots in the OP for Titanfall are incredibly blurry, so to think that'll be the regular "jump" you'll get from downsampling from 4K, you're setting expectations too high, because the jump isn't that big usually.
Other shots in the thread, which are closer together, paint a more realistic picture of what the down-sampling will entail for most games.

That's because TF2 isn't 1080p on PS4.

I thought it had dynamic res that went up to 1080p.

"What" what? I'm saying the "1080p" shots in the OP for Titanfall are incredibly blurry, so to think that'll be the regular "jump" you'll get from downsampling from 4K, you're setting expectations too high, because the jump isn't that big usually.
Other shots in the thread, which are closer together, paint a more realistic picture of what the down-sampling will entail for most games.

It's lowest resolution is 1600x900. They're taken from direct grabs from Digital Foundry

kitsuneyo

I can tell the difference but it's not significant to me and I wouldn't pay anything for it. Just my opinion of course. Edit: All the shots look good to me.

Latimer

Banned

IIRC the highest it goes is 1000p.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Wow it's huge and this is nothing compared to what other devs will do O.O

Plum

I really don't get the 'slight' difference people. Of course you can't see it on a phone but if you look at them full-size on pc it's a big difference. If this difference/ those pics are representative of the difference on a (1080) tv then ps4 pro people should be really happy.

DrXym didn't say anything about a phone

Jenotron

Banned
I already have two regular PS4's and had zero interest in the Pro but the screenshots are significantly better than I'd been led to expect.

JP

That's more than I was expecting, it certainly reduces the softness that is present in this game.

Top Bottom