• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Fable Review??? (Maybe, maybe not. Decide for yourself)

Status
Not open for further replies.

john tv

ScientificNinja said:
It's really, truly sad when the editorial staff of a magazine doesn't know how to handle a little criticism, misguided or misinformed as it may be. Real professionals wouldn't give a monkey's :D
Which rules you out, too, I guess?

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize this was locked. Apologies to whoever locked it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nah, let's continue the discussion. So, what do YOU think about Fable sucking, Hito? Tim?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
After watching someone play Fable at E3, and not even playing it myself, I'd have to say that both Scientific Ninja and Ferricide are wrong. Sometimes the controls are clunky, and sometimes they are not. Sometimes the game is difficult, sometimes it is easy. One thing is for sure though, I, along with the everyone else, may like it... or dislike it.

Gerber

Banned
His comment about Jade Empire makes me think I'll wait till Gamespot reviews the game. And then I'll add .5 points. :)

BuddyC

Gerber said:
His comment about Jade Empire makes me think I'll wait till Gamespot reviews the game. And then I'll add .5 points. :)
Jade Empire is really, really cool - especially for fans of beat 'em ups and RPGs.

Gerber

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Jade Empire is really, really cool - especially for fans of beat 'em ups and RPGs.

Yea I hope Bioware makes a sequel or another one along the same vein. It gives me that OOT feeling for some reason. :D

IJoel

You know, at least Che (or was it Milkman?) expanded on the Ninja Gaiden review. For all the comments that have been thrown around here, I still haven't seen some solid comments about the game from the GMR people.

And no, I won't buy your magazine for that review. I never buy game magazines unless they include demos I want.

BuddyC

Gerber said:
Yea I hope Bioware makes a sequel or another one along the same vein. It gives me that OOT feeling for some reason. :D
Let's wait until they get the first one out, eh? ;)

edit: Not saying it's a bad game by any means, but let's wait until they get one game done before demanding another.

P90

Pimpbaa said:
I still stand by what i said. Reviewers should be completely open minded to games regardless of where they came from or what genre they are. I grew up on mostly eastern games too, but I prefer western games at the moment (I too would be a bad reviewer). It shouldn't be used as an excuse for whatever bias they have.

That is impossible, everyone has "bias". At least he is upfront with his. Adjust your assessment of his review from there. It is called "critical thinking". It has been around much, much longer than video game reviews. Of course, so has uncritical thinking as well.

"people who say we don't use the full spectrum of the 1 to 10 scale might actually want to read the magazine and see how many 3s and 4s we dole out. Maybe people are just better at making decent games these days."

I actually think this is absolutely true. Games are more decent on average nowadays then they were 10 years ago for sure. But that means also that a score of 5 might not mean average anymore, since the average game is of better quality and maybe a 6 or 7. I assume this is why 6 and 7 scores are so common. Anyway, calling 5 average is confusing to many people since in school a 5/10 was an F and very mediocre(my school was like this anyway). Why are 2's and 1's more rare than 9's and 10's in review world? There are plenty of games that deserve those scores. So I guess I have no answers, only suggestions of why 5 might not really be an average score.

As for this whole Fable debacle, I have learned not to question a review's credibility based on a score. And yet, you people defending the review are being kind of silly. You know what the review says and we don't, so wait until we actually can read it to debate with us. Even then, why bother? You don't see Ebert going on movie forums to defend his credibility when someone whines about his reviews. It always bugs me when someone whines about a review score (which is annoying) and all the review type people swoop into the thread to call people immature and tell them to get a life. You don't have to defend your reviews against those who haven't even read them, or in most cases, even played the game in question. Please don't lower yourself to our level.:)

Saying "based on a fragmented sentence from a review I haven't read, he only played it for 5 minutes" is silly. Yes, you did qualify the sentence, but it is still an uninformed and rash conclusion. People shouldn't be surprised if they hit a nerve by suggesting that someone has no integrity, even though I tried to point out the futility of arguing with us commoners.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
You guys have made this thread rock hard, thanks. A lot of gold in there.

I'm still looking to Fable though, 8 is a great score and that was about what I was expecting from this game. I sincerely hope one man's opinion will not change anyone's mind (multiple opinions harping on the same problems is something to take notice of however).

Mrbob

Looks like the review is making its rounds>

http://boards.ign.com/Xbox_General_Board/b5076/66041120/?82

Saw this on the first post

Japon.gif
self.jpg
Japon.gif

Lol. Funny how uptight some people can get over an opinion. Not just disagree, but seem to get upset about it. A call to arms has been made...!!

Redbeard

Banned
As long as there are people here who've played through the game, can someone tell me if every area is like this, with only a small portion of the landscape accessible? I mean, are there any areas that are just one huge open space on the mini-map instead of these smallish zones connected by narrow paths? Can you also tell me if these areas shown on the mini-map are like Zelda, where you walk off the edge and a new area has to load?

fable-20040824053110416.jpg

AniHawk

Mrbob said:
Looks like the review is making its rounds>

http://boards.ign.com/Xbox_General_Board/b5076/66041120/?82

Saw this on the first post

Japon.gif
self.jpg
Japon.gif

Lol. Funny how uptight some people can get over an opinion. Not just disagree, but seem to get upset about it. A call to arms has been made...!!

Remember 7.9 for Mario Kart from IGN? Or C- from here (I went on to GameFAQs to check out the topics there, and there were some guys genuinely angry that GA had lowered the average of the game on gamerankings.com)? It's not the first time it's happened, but it's damn entertaining.

The person who reviewed Fable and gave it an 8 should of gave the CLUNKY controls a break. It wasn't a finished build so couldn't they gave that a benifit of the doubt instead of knocking it on the review score?

Redbeard said:
As long as there are people here who've played through the game, can someone tell me if every area is like this, with only a small portion of the landscape accessible? I mean, are there any areas that are just one huge open space on the mini-map instead of these smallish zones connected by narrow paths? Can you also tell me if these areas shown on the mini-map are like Zelda, where you walk off the edge and a new area has to load?

That screenshot looks like it comes from one of the first missions where you can either defend Orchard Farm from a group of thieves, or help those thieves steal three items from Orchard Farm.

The areas vary greatly in shape and size, but most of the non-town areas are like that. There are no huge open spaces per se, unless you count the colisseum challenge - but even with that you can obviously see the boundaries of the stadium.

When you click the right stick in, the map will enlarge and tell you where each of the exits lead. When you walk off the exit point, it goes to a load screen where you wait for the next area to come up.

BuddyC

bbnocrossing said:
The person who reviewed Fable and gave it an 8 should of gave the CLUNKY controls a break. It wasn't a finished build so couldn't they gave that a benifit of the doubt instead of knocking it on the review score?
Down junior. When they're doing final bug-testing on a piece of code the publisher deems reviewable, you can rest assured that the controls, among numerous other things, won't be streamlined.

Nameless

8/10 is a good score, as was said didn't NG get an 8 in GMR?

Anyway, I have a few questions:

What build of Fable did GMR review? The Majority of the gaming media apparently were only treated to a 2hour romp through fable 2 weeks ago..I.E. the sudden influx of hands-on impressions from damn near everyone. Pretty much all of those publications cited that they were able spend only a couple of hours with the game, is THIS what GMR's review is based off?

Also I remember reading somewhere, CVG I believe that there was a build going around back in July. The game JUST went Gold today, so I don't invision review copies being sent out before GMR went to press..

Whatever, I'm personally not going to lose any sleep over this.

BuddyC

Nameless said:
8/10 is a good score, as was said didn't NG get an 8 in GMR?

Anyway, I have a few questions:

What build of Fable did GMR review? The Majority of the gaming media apparently were only treated to a 2hour romp through fable 2 weeks ago..I.E. the sudden influx of hands-on impressions from damn near everyone. Pretty much all of those publications cited that they were able spend only a couple of hours with the game, is THIS what GMR's review is based off?

Also I remember reading somewhere, CVG I believe that there was a build going around back in July. The game JUST went Gold today, so I don't invision review copies being sent out before GMR went to press..

Whatever, I'm personally not going to lose any sleep over this.
I'd imagine the Fable review was done in a similar fashion to the Ninja Gaiden review, which required the journalist to fly to Japan and play the game at Team Ninja's office for three days until he beat it.

I could Big Blue setting up a debug station in an isolated room somewhere and saying "Here, play."

BuddyC

ScientificNinja said:
DING DING DING! We have a winner.
Yea, I'm gonna ask for proof on this one. Not that I really have any interest one way or another, but this thread is a great time-waster. I mean, if you can prove that GMR based their review off those few hours of hands-on, great. If not, well...yea.

skip

no, actually, the build GMR played was at the studio in england. GMR was there for multiple days, playing for multiple hours. it was not the two-hour preview build. two days after we came back from england, u.s. print magazines (including EGM and XBN) received their review builds. I'm not sure what the online guys got, perhaps someone from 1UP can chime in. but I hope they're off doing more productive things than this.

BuddyC

skip said:
perhaps someone from 1UP can chime in. but I hope they're off doing more productive things than this.
seeing as it's not Friday night, I wouldn't bet on WarPig posting at this hour.

Is everyone still talking about this 8/10 game? Go to my Xbox malfunctioning thread instead. I mean, surely the two are related.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I liked this thread better when we were bashing the cover.

And don't get too upset Milkman. I did, after all, defend your usage of the pink. The idea isn't a bad one, just the result is poor, that's all. :D

BuddyChrist83 said:
Yea, I'm gonna ask for proof on this one. Not that I really have any interest one way or another, but this thread is a great time-waster. I mean, if you can prove that GMR based their review off those few hours of hands-on, great. If not, well...yea.

Heh, it's not an accusation, but maybe I should've elaborated. The review build wasn't made available until last week, and that was the only build available after the two-hour preview from two weeks ago. If GMR played it in the studio for multiple hours, then good on them; but I still wonder what version of the game they played and what promises were made to Microsoft, given how classically tight they are about revealing anything early. *shrug* and no, at the end of the day I don't really care what comes of all this - I just find it amusing to watch editorial staff go at it like it's some kind of turf war. If they really care about what they do so much, they should keep their heads down and their eyes focussed on hitting the next deadline rather than bicker with dickheads like me who randomly shoots his mouth off.

ferricide

do people honestly think this was reviewed off of a two hour demo?

how do you think exclusives happen? i flew to england, played the shit out of the game, and flew back to the U.S. at a cost of some thousands of dollars to my employer, ziff davis, and my work and personal time. i did this before any other journalists were allowed to play the game. that is the nature of an "exclusive".

the game was done. games like this, with multiple-year development cycles, are finished well in advance of their ship. sure, they were still squashing a few little bugs, but they weren't adding new content or even tweaking the interface. that shit was locked. i was playing a release candidate, which is what magazine (and web!) reviewers play.

i raised the ethical concerns about this whole process beforehand with my employers and with microsoft and lionhead. everything was answered to my satisfaction from multiple sources, not the least of which peter molyneux himself. if he was comfortable with my playing and reviewing this game, should anyone else have anything to say about it? dene carter (co-founder, big blue box) and i had a lovely conversation down the pub after i got through with the game. he didn't seem too put out by the whole situation either.

are you satisfied now?

as for the personal attacks based on shit i wrote on my blog, they're not even worth responding to. jesus.

jett

D-Member
drohne said:
plus if you look at his blog, it says he likes anime, manga, karaoke, and haruki murakami. i'd be tempted to let murakami slide on merit, but how much serious postmodern fiction do you suppose this dude reads? would he be into murakami if his name was schneider or thompson or paz? probably not. wouldn't be his species of the exotic. the sheer redundancy of it is what strikes me: he lists all this japanese stuff he likes, when he could've just said "i really like anime" and let us assume the rest. it's gratuitous. i don't trust these silly anime people to do much of anything, let alone review the videogames we hold dear. it's sinister and pathological. it's pearl harbor all over again and where's my gas mask.

LOL. This thread is great.

Lukas

Banned
ferricide let me tell you something....

your magazine is a joke, your reviews are a joke. you hold less credibility to gamers than gaming age does after their ninja gaiden review

lets look at some of the things you have said about Xbox and its games and what your publication has said.

i'll admit it: i typically don't groove to the western beat, despite the fact that i, myself, am of pale-skinned and hopelessly dorky stock. i grew up in new jersey, for chrissakes, on a diet of NES, SMS, turbografx, genesis, SNES, saturn, playstation, dreamcast...

am still largely indifferent to FPSes -- halo is fun with 8+ players, but what the hell wouldn't be.

i still absolutely detest straight military themes. for one, they're about as boring and uncreative as possible, just tedious, humorless men with guns. for another, i just don't like the whole thing. it feels creepy and wrong to me. that's just me, of course, but i can't shake it and don't want to fantasize about it.

--- real nice stuff right here Xbox. Even an extended trailer for Halo 2 couldn't disguise the fact that microsoft 's first party software is uninspired. Case in Point: Voodoo Vince. Without Nintendo's guiding hand, Rare's Grabbed by the Goulies, Conker:Live and Uncut, and the action RPG Kameo made us roll our eyes so far back into our heads, it hurt. If not for Ninja Gaiden, the DOOM III Trailer, and K.O.T.O.R, we'd be reaching for the Prozac.

oh yea, real professional

In their May issue they stated that Soul Calibur for Dreamcast looks better then 75% of the Current Xbox Games.

Get it through your head, no one gives a crap about your magazine or you expect a bunch of fanatics on message boards. so rip that page out of GMR of your Fable review and shove it up your ass, thats how much credit it holds

maybe next time you should give Halo 2 a 7 based on your scores of Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, Far Cry, and Prince of Persia, which all also got 7

now take your piss face and get out of this thread, you say this stuff makes you laugh and you dont care, yet you keeping coming back to message boards to defend yourself

BuddyC

I'm assuming that was Lukas' last "dumb post."

Lukas said:
now take your piss face and get out of this thread, you say this stuff makes you laugh and you dont care, yet you keeping coming back to message boards to defend yourself

Easily the most hilarious, hypocritical post I've seen on the boards in some time.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's too late now but I just wanted to say that I really like your cover. I look forward to getting the magazine.

Everyone's got an angle, but personally I'm just glad that it's scoring high enough to justify my pre-order (so far). I'm excited about the game because it seems "different" but I wasn't expecting Jesus Christ on a interactive DVD so I'm cool with it having flaws.

skip

Musashi Wins! said:
It's too late now but I just wanted to say that I really like your cover. I look forward to getting the magazine.

Everyone's got an angle, but personally I'm just glad that it's scoring high enough to justify my pre-order (so far). I'm excited about the game because it seems "different" but I wasn't expecting Jesus Christ on a interactive DVD so I'm cool with it having flaws.

god bless you.

Lukas

Banned
This thread is hillarious really. This is the same Magazine that thinks Custom Robo is > Far Cry, Call of Duty, Prince of Persia, Max Payne 2, and is equal to Fable.

why do you guys have your panties all up in a wad, you wanna bet that Fable is getting 9.3+ scores on IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy, and the places that actually hold credibility

AniHawk

Lukas said:
This thread is hillarious really. This is the same Magazine that thinks Custom Robo is > Far Cry, Call of Duty, Prince of Persia, Max Payne 2, and is equal to Fable.

why do you guys have your panties all up in a wad, you wanna bet that Fable is getting 9.3+ scores on IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy, and the places that actually hold credibility

I bet my dad can beat up your dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom