• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Final Fantasy X-2 HD Screenshots

legacyzero

Banned
Okay FF-Gaf, I'm going to give this shit one more shot.

I've tried FF XII and XIII over the years; I hated XIII for obvious reasons and I disliked XII due to the main character and some other things. Is X the game to try then for someone looking to get into the series and JRPG's in general?
Putting XIII and X in the same paragraph should be illegal. Like EVERYWHERE.

And yes, to most X is the last great FF before it went to shit. At least that's how I understand it.

Mesoian

Putting XIII and X in the same paragraph should be illegal. Like EVERYWHERE.

And yes, to most X is the last great FF before it went to shit. At least that's how I understand it.

That's about right. Keep in mind, X shares a lot of similar world issues that 13 suffers from, but the story, the characters, the plotline the environments, the combat, the leveling system, it's all dramatically superior to 13.

I like it better than 12, but it's not really case of better or worse since the systems were so dramatically different. The narrative is DEFINITELY better than 12's though.

That's about right. Keep in mind, X shares a lot of similar world issues that 13 suffers from, but the story, the characters, the plotline the environments, the combat, the leveling system, it's all dramatically superior to 13.

I like it better than 12, but it's not really case of better or worse since the systems were so dramatically different. The narrative is DEFINITELY better than 12's though.

X is better in a number of ways, but its linearity is also (to me) much less problematic than 13's because there are actual towns in the game, and more importantly because you can actually backtrack to nearly any area in the game. FFXIII's linearity is much more problematic precisely because it locks you off from any previous area you've visited (and because it keeps breaking your party up).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Technically you win every game by pressing a button so I really don't understand the fundamental of even bringing up such an argument if all games serve to perform the same overall function in achieving generally every single outcome conceivable.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
X is better in a number of ways, but its linearity is also (to me) much less problematic than 13's because there are actual towns in the game, and more importantly because you can actually backtrack to nearly any area in the game. FFXIII's linearity is much more problematic precisely because it locks you off from any previous area you've visited (and because it keeps breaking your party up).
FFX also hides its linearity a lot better. It isn't literally a straight line 80% of the time.

That said, I still don't consider linearity a bad thing. I consider it one of X's strengths. I'm not a fan of world maps and trudging through past FF maps always felt like a chore.

I know that, beyond updated models/textures, KH HD got a bit of actual new content/revised game design. For example, RE:Chain of Memories gets several new Keyblades you can use.

I wonder if these games will have any new content, however minor, or new balance changes.

ubercheez

c7e78de0.jpg

AW YISS

This looks freaking fantastic. Can't wait.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I know that, beyond updated models/textures, KH HD got a bit of actual new content/revised game design. For example, RE:Chain of Memories gets several new Keyblades you can use.

I wonder if these games will have any new content, however minor, or new balance changes.

Fixing the whole talk to every NPC twice to get a 100% or 101% would be nice.

Skilletor

Technically you win every game by pressing a button so I really don't understand the fundamental of even bringing up such an argument if all games serve to perform the same overall function in achieving generally every single outcome conceivable.

In my opinion, detractors of one FF battle system or another tend to say that all you do is hold X, by which they mean the game lacks strategy and you pretty much just have to put the game on memory and repeat the same attacks over and over.

I think, personally, that every FF I've played has about the same amount of strategy and past a certain point you're so over powered that all you have to do is attack (or hold X).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn, that really looks great.

boinx

They're also upping the textures for the environments, and backgrounds have been redrawn as well.

They also mentioned that they're upping the quality on Yuna's Concert (pre-rendered CG opening).

That's really cool, they are really putting some effort into this. What other HD collections upres the GC cutscenes? None?

FFX also hides its linearity a lot better. It isn't literally a straight line 80% of the time.

That said, I still don't consider linearity a bad thing. I consider it one of X's strengths. I'm not a fan of world maps and trudging through past FF maps always felt like a chore.

I would honestly say that FFX probably has some of the best pacing in the series due to its structure. Never understood why people hated on that so much.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In my opinion, detractors of one FF battle system or another tend to say that all you do is hold X, by which they mean the game lacks strategy and you pretty much just have to put the game on memory and repeat the same attacks over and over.

I think, personally, that every FF I've played has about the same amount of strategy and past a certain point you're so over powered that all you have to do is attack (or hold X).

If you are overleveled sure.

Makes me miss the FF5 days of needing to level up job classes and neat little things of using Excalipoor on enemies with one hp but ridiculous evasion that only Excalipoor can hit.

And FF8 level scaling was great too.

Most RPG's you can tank everything if you overlevel.

FF uses a rather old roleplaying rubric comparable to rather basic DnD rules with associated weaknesses and immunities.

So you really don't need to think too hard on it.

It would be great if they played around it a little more though. Much like with FF4's reverse gas that reversed damage and healing effects.

I suspect the KH HD 2.5 Collection will be announced in late 2013, but I'm curious as to when (and whether) FFXII HD will get announced. It's by far one of the most popular PCSX2 games; I think it'd do well (and in many ways require a lot less conversion work to get it to look good in HD, since it's already set for widescreen and the models have such gorgeous textures).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Expected but yeah the CG is slightly cut. Sorry lifted these from Youtube 720p:

Even though X-2 wasn't my preferred Final Fantasy, this makes me want to play it. If there is one thing SE is consistent on, it's great art.

ULTROS!

omg how can i forget my waifu. looking forward to her in hd

Logos_Leblanc_Ormi.jpg

Top Bottom