• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of Oceanhorn 2

rhandino

Banned
people thinking games being shown now are being inspired by a game that released barely 2 months ago are hilarious.

Breath of the Wild was shown at E3 last year and we have hours upon hours of gameplay footage from it's systems so...

Not that I am agreeing with him but we knew pretty well what the game was going to be be.

This one seems more inspired by games like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword tho... but they really need to fix the animations because climbing and jumping look floaty as hell.

pixelation

art wise oO

It's subjective but yes, they tried to kind of ape the WW art style but they weren't succesful and i find it quite unnapealing and won't age with nearly an ounce of the same grace that WW has. It doesn't look particularily good today (IMHO) and it was just released.

Calibos

Jesus Christ it's harsh around this joint.

https://oceanhorn.blogspot.com/

It's not like they are a Nintendo sized developer...this looks like a great leap forward for their series and is still in progress.

Big props and mush respect to the developers for their hard work! Can't wait to check out the game when it drops...

Zutrax

For what I assume to be a smaller budget indie mobile game with a small dev team, it looks ambitious and pretty okay.

But unfortunately it will just be compared to Zelda Breath of the Wild now, especially since it seems to be taking inspiration from it from many design aspects and failing to be even half as good as it in most of them.

The animations themselves are the biggest harm to the games "feel", everything is incredible stiff, floaty, and feels amateur across the board. If these were fixed to look better than they are now it would be promising. Also the stock sounds and design elements are bringing it down quite a bit.

I won't fault it for being a Zelda clone, but I will fault it for doing what it's trying to do in a subpar way and having an easy direct comparison to bring it down even further.

pixelation

Why would you want to play a cheap knock off of Zelda. When the actual Zelda games are great.

Personally speaking the IQ is much better than BotW so that is a HUGE plus for me and weirdly enought the art style is better IMHO as well, they just need to work on the animations and the text boxes and the UI.

It's funny that people are on their case because Zelda is more polished. They're a studio of less than 10 people. The level holiness you all raise Nintendo to is ridiculous.

Thats the polish that makes AAA console games have these ridiculous budgets - for the first Oceanhorn it was fine since they followed the simpler 2D Zelda Blueprint...but for this one - lets say there is a reason why there arent that many 3D Zelda clones.

I would have prefered a more defined look...hell something ala Wind Waker would have been great - this just looks like BotW in bad....while the first game looked really good.

You don't need a AAA budget to have awesome animations in a game.

It's funny that people are on their case because Zelda is more polished. They're a studio of less than 10 people. The level holiness you all raise Nintendo to is ridiculous.

To be fair when you so clearly copy the formula you're going to get judged on the standard of the game you are cloning.

The game looks decent-alright, but I'm not digging the faces of the character models, and those animations are realllllly wooden.

If you're going to create a carbon copy of a franchise, it's completely fair and expected to be judged by the standards of that IP.

Geez, that's a hell of an upgrade. Didn't play the first until its PS4 release, it was a pretty fun game. A serviceable Zelda clone, nothing groundbreaking, sometimes maybe a tad frustrating (particularly catching the last fish), but enjoyable for the most part.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
First one = Wind Waker, second one = Twilight Princess?

His run animations remind me a lot of Twilight Princess, although Link felt more weighty.

hongcha

Looks awesome. I loved the first game, really looking forward to this. I think it is coming to Switch as well?

First game reminded me more of Landstalker than Wind Waker.

looking at the game i thought "this isnt for me. im 34....they cant be aiming a game like this at me". so i grabbed my son(8) and he wasnt having that shit either. said the game moved like Roblox and looks boring.

Looks awesome. I loved the first game, really looking forward to this. I think it is coming to Switch as well?

First game reminded me more of Landstalker than Wind Waker.

Same here. This looks pretty great.

Jesus Christ it's harsh around this joint.

https://oceanhorn.blogspot.com/

It's not like they are a Nintendo sized developer...this looks like a great leap forward for their series and is still in progress.

Big props and mush respect to the developers for their hard work! Can't wait to check out the game when it drops...

Agreed, I think it's looking quite good. I'm impressed by how far they've come.

jdstorm

Banned
Why would you want to play a cheap knock off of Zelda. When the actual Zelda games are great.

Because then you can play both...

Seriously i cant believe how harsh people are being to this game. Obviously it wont be Zelda. However in all honesty not many AAA devs have gotten close to making a good Zelda Like game. Let alone indies. Yet its OK to talk badly about an indie Dev making a somewhat generic but endearing action adventure game because its not the game with the most 10s in Metacritic history.

The first game was good fun for what it was, and the "Clone" comments are ridiculously overhyped. Oceanhorn 1 is clearly inspired by/borrowing just as much from series like Final Fantasy and Metroid as it does from the Zelda series.

Jeffrey

Seems fine for first footage of a game not close to release yet.

I'm more worried about controls. Top down games are passable with virtual controls but once you throw in a camera, not great

vareon

There's something wrong with the walk loop, like it spent too much time on air rather than on the steps.

Barrel lifting and sword animation look very stiff, too.

But hey, it's a first gameplay video. Pretty sure they'll improve.

Lijik

Its really underwhelming that the gameplay/level layout looks virtually unchanged from the first oceanhorn just with a fancier coat of paint. Was hoping for a bigger shift to match with the new perspective

ace-ventura-einhorn-is-finkle-oceanhorn-is-finkle.jpg

Maximo

Considering its still coming to mobile im not expecting to be floored since they have to keep it within some limitation.

RRockman

Banned
Wow heck of a jump! From wind waker to Breath of the Wild! :p It looks like a very serviceable game, all it needs is to tighten up those animations, and maybe let you tech instead of having to press a buttion after you land, and it'll be great.

Morts

Oh man those animations are early. Especially when he started climbing those vines on the side of the building.

I can't imagine wanting to play a full 3d game like this on a phone. Interesting that they went this direction with it.

I think the game still needs to tweak its graphical style. The visuals in the first were a turn off for me and this looks bland, although better.

rjc571

Banned
After Breath of the Wild, this looks so bad. I don't mean on a graphical scale:

-Floaty walking
-Floaty jumping
-Attack animation is not snappy
-Climbing animation is like floating on a wall

Yeah they should have increased the game's budget 1000 times over so they could compete with BotW

Dyle

Poor man's Breath of the Wild/Skyward Sword. The first game always looked kind of interesting, partially because it had some aspects which were better than the DS Zeldas it was ripping off of. This just looks blah and feels cheaper than the first game, but maybe it's just the early, weightless animations.

atr0cious

What is going on with the guys head when hes moving around. He keep looking left and right.
They're copying a Nintendo staple, where the main character looks at an object of interest in the distance, but since they obviously don't have the budget to do that, it's got this faux movement going on. It's the first thing I noticed too, and really kills the rhythm of the animation.

Top-down Zeldalikes is one of my absolute favorite genres, so that was the appeal of the first one for me.

They're free to do their thing though.

Top Bottom